Menu

Couches for short people?

ktgrok

We tried every couch at Ikea and I'm now sure that furniture designed by Nordic people is not meant to fit my 5'1 body, lol. I seriously felt like those "don't do this" photos showing you why small kids need booster seats. If my back was against the cushions my knees were several inches from the edge of the couch. It was crazy. 

Are there couches for short people? The only comfy one was a small futon but that's not reasonable for the whole family. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, klmama said:

I've never found a couch that fits me properly. We've bought couches that fit dh and I just place a throw pillow behind my back. 

That’s what I do, too. Plus one of those cushy ottoman things to prop my legs on. But throw pillows are my real friends when it comes to getting comfy on couches. 

Places like restoration hardware or pottery barn have custom order couches for shorter people.

In a previous, larger house we had one for short and one for tall, because the short person depth is better for sitting and the tall ones are as wide as a twin bed & more comfortable for both tall guests snd napping. Warning though:  not cheap. 

I have a Smith Brothers couch that has a more shallow seat depth, which could make it more comfortable for you. It's a more formal look and not necessarily as comfortable/casual as the Lazy Boy stuff in my tv area. 

You should be able to find shallower furniture in any normal furniture store, so I think just try another store (LazyBoy, whatever) and see what you find. Recliners also come in sizes and seat depths like this, so you could get a recliner to fit you and get the sofa to fit your larger family. It's ok for a couch to be a bit big, as long as you like it overall, because you can just pull up your legs and cuddle in. But having at least one piece of furniture that fits you nicely (the recliner/rocker) is nice. That's what I sit in to read at night, etc.

Edited by PeterPan

2 hours ago, klmama said:

I've never found a couch that fits me properly. We've bought couches that fit dh and I just place a throw pillow behind my back. 

I'd need probably 2-3 for these couches to work. They were SOOOO much deeper than our current Ektorp. Like, twin bed sized almost. 

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I have a Smith Brothers couch that has a more shallow seat depth, which could make it more comfortable for you. It's a more formal look and not necessarily as comfortable/casual as the Lazy Boy stuff in my tv area. 

You should be able to find shallower furniture in any normal furniture store, so I think just try another store (LazyBoy, whatever) and see what you find. Recliners also come in sizes and seat depths like this, so you could get a recliner to fit you and get the sofa to fit your larger family. It's ok for a couch to be a bit big, as long as you like it overall, because you can just pull up your legs and cuddle in. But having at least one piece of furniture that fits you nicely (the recliner/rocker) is nice. That's what I sit in to read at night, etc.

Well, not only do I want to be able to sit down and stand up easily, but I want my 70 yer old mom to be able to safely sit and get back up again. She's taller than me, but some of these were just not functional!

Are people really sitting “properly” on their own couches at home? I cannot relate. I’ve always got my feet curled under me and a blanket.  I even sit cross-legged on my dining room chairs. It seems strange to me that people are all sitting upright on their home furniture like they do in a waiting room. 

My great grandmother was about 4’8.” She had her own chair that was just her size. Her kitchen counters were her size too. My mother loved it as a child because she could reach everything.  

I think short people furniture must be pretty rare. Every now and then I sit in something where my back is supported and my feet are on the floor and it feels strange to have things fit just right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Are people really sitting “properly” on their own couches at home? I cannot relate. I’ve always got my feet curled under me and a blanket.  I even sit cross-legged on my dining room chairs. It seems strange to me that people are all sitting upright on their home furniture like they do in a waiting room. 

My great grandmother was about 4’8.” She had her own chair that was just her size. Her kitchen counters were her size too. My mother loved it as a child because she could reach everything.  

I think short people furniture must be pretty rare. Every now and then I sit in something where my back is supported and my feet are on the floor and it feels strange to have things fit just right.

It is more that I feel I wouldn't be able to get back out of the couch, lol! And yes, if my parents are over, i'd like furniture we can sit on, and not have to lay on. Some of them I was more laying down than sitting. 

We have a huge, deep sectional. I just curl up on it, or put my feet on the ottoman. There’s no way I could sit like a normal person, but I usually can’t and don’t anyway. It is sometimes hard to get out of, but I guess it had never occurred to me until this thread that it doesn’t have to be that way, or isn’t like that for everyone. Lol

We are a tall family and have a hard time finding couches that are comfortable as well but for a different reason. Most of the couches we have found are so low to the ground that it is really uncomfortable to get in and out.  We have even had to replace the feet or legs of the couch to raise it up higher. 

Sofa seat depth can vary a lot, most are 21-24 but here a a couple that are 19 and 20. 

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/serta-at-home-copenhagen-rolled-arm-sofa-w001121318.html

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/cameron-upholstered-roll-arm-sofa-collection/?pkey=ccameron-sofas-sectionals

When you're in the store measure the seat and try to find one that is shallow. Sometimes the formal LR furniture happens to be more shallow than informal furniture. Then you can see if the 19 or 20 inch works better for you. 

We did a ton of furniture shopping over the summer and all of the salespeople instantly pointed us in the right direction. I’m average height, but at least for furniture, I need something designed for shorter people in order to be able to sit comfortably with my feet on the floor. Have you worked with any salespeople? Although we ended up buying from a local furniture store, Lazy Boy definitely has couches and chairs that work for shorter people. I don’t know if this company has Florida distributors, but they also definitely have couches that work for shorter people.

https://biltwellfurniture.com/dealer-locator/

I only sit like a normal person on a couch when it’s more than me and my husband in the house. But it just made sense to me to get something that would work for everyone. Lots of women are shorter than me, so I wanted something any visiting friends or relatives could sit on comfortably.