Menu

Homemade noodles on mashed potatoes

saraha

Homemade noodles on mashed potatoes  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Homemade noodles on mashed potatoes?

• Whaaaat? Why would anyone do that?
    • Sure do!
  2. 2. If yes, where are you from?

3. 3. If no, where are you from?

22 minutes ago, Frances said:

Whenever people post menu threads on these boards, I always wonder about the multiple carb ones. I always assume they must be super active people with high metabolisms or have growing teens. Holidays are about the only time I can think of where we have more than one carb with a meal. Now if we want garlic bread it’s served with something like a chicken Caesar salad, not pasta. 

I grew up eating the noodles and mashed potatoes at the same meal but it was only at certain holidays (Thanksgiving and Easter come to mind - maybe Christmas on my dad's side of the family).  We still do at Thanksgiving although now it is usually sweet potaoes instead of mashed - still noodles on top though.

We were introduced to mac'n'cheese at Thanksgiving (and potatoes on the table still) when we moved to the south.  Personally I don't mind a lot of carbs to pick from at big meals so no complaints here. My boys successfully lobbied our families up north into adding mac'n'cheese to those menus so it is even more carb crazy.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, saraha said:

That’s super close to my recipe, except I roll out with a rolling pin and mine are quite toothy

That’s how my MIL made them. When my dd took over, she began using the pasta sheet thingy. They are still pretty toothy; we don’t roll them as thin as they can get. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AnotherNewName said:

I grew up eating the noodles and mashed potatoes at the same meal but it was only at certain holidays (Thanksgiving and Easter come to mind - maybe Christmas on my dad's side of the family).  We still do at Thanksgiving although now it is usually sweet potaoes instead of mashed - still noodles on top though.

We were introduced to mac'n'cheese at Thanksgiving (and potatoes on the table still) when we moved to the south.  Personally I don't mind a lot of carbs to pick from at big meals so no complaints here. My boys successfully lobbied our families up north into adding mac'n'cheese to those menus so it is even more carb crazy.

Thanksgiving and Christmas here have the same menu. 95% carbs. A platter (yup, those great big styrofoam platters you get at Walmart that have like 6 different sized compartments) will have a helping each of: turkey or ham, one of two different kinds of stuffing (w/or w/o oysters), Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes and noodles, broccoli or carrot casserole, sweet potato casserole, green beans and/or corn and a roll precariously perched on top. 😆😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AnotherNewName said:

i’ve called the food police.   You can expect a visit soon.  😱😱😱😆

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Thanksgiving and Christmas here have the same menu. 95% carbs. A platter (yup, those great big styrofoam platters you get at Walmart that have like 6 different sized compartments) will have a helping each of: turkey or ham, one of two different kinds of stuffing (w/or w/o oysters), Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes and noodles, broccoli or carrot casserole, sweet potato casserole, green beans and/or corn and a roll precariously perched on top. 😆😆

Right? I cannot have Thanksgiving or Christmas without homemade stuffing, too. So, between the noodles, mashed potatoes and stuffing, I can expect a food coma to arrive within an hour. Sounds good to me! I'm usually sick of the relatives by that point anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This thread is awesome.  I am doing equal parts: 😱😱😱 and 😋😋😋 throughout.  

our holidays are pretty carby but for Christmas this year I’m determined to not be so bad, or at least offer more low carb options.  The family will probably revolt.  

usually it looks like this:   
turkey & gravy or ham,  Mac n cheese,   Dressing,   Peas or green beans,   Deviled eggs,   Sweet potato casserole,    Mashed potatoes,  

This year will look a little different.  

We are plenty carby at Thanksgiving, but my alternate name for the day is National Butterfat Day.  There is so much butter, sour cream, cream cheese, other cheese - brie makes its first appearance for the winter on that day - it's astonishing to me every year, yet I am the one making the menu and it has had only minor variations over the last 25 years. 

ETA: Oh yeah, I forgot whipping cream.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

our holidays are pretty carby but for Christmas this year I’m determined to not be so bad, or at least offer more low carb options.  The family will probably revolt.  

turkey & gravy or ham,  Mac n cheese,   Dressing,   Peas or green beans,   Deviled eggs,   Sweet potato casserole,    Mashed potatoes,  

Don’t do it, it’s a trap!!!

besides, one or two days isn’t so bad… (three if you count Easter) 😆😆😋

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I guess I don’t understand the concern with multiple carbs at a meal.   Wouldn’t you just take less of each carb if your body needs less fuel?

I don't eat like that - my brain has no idea what I need so I go by what tempts me.  If mac n cheese and/or stuffing are served at a meal, I'm going to go for those and eat as much as I can without being rude.  I just can't resist those foods (which is why I never serve them).  I can pass on mashed potatoes and noodles even though I like them both a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I guess I don’t understand the concern with multiple carbs at a meal.   Wouldn’t you just take less of each carb if your body needs less fuel?

I serve multiple carbs regularly.  Chicken noodle soup with grilled cheese.  Enchiladas with rice and beans.  Beef soup with potatoes and whole grain bread to dip.  Plus I serve fruit with every meal. I assume the growing athletes among us will take more, and others will take less.

My body doesn’t just use carbs as fuel. It uses it as a signal to produce too much insulin, which my cells can’t respond to. I love the taste of carbs. My body just can’t process them. And my body is not terribly unusual in that regard. Btw- while it’s true that insulin resistance/diabetes has increased in the past decades, bodies still reacted that way even “way back then”. People just died from it sooner than they do now. (That’s very evident in my family tree). 

But really this is a rabbit trail from a throw-out line about it being “diabetes city”. (I felt the same way about many suggestions on the easy meals thread. I just didn’t voice it). As far as Thanksgiving goes, turkey and vegetables with a low carb dessert makes me plenty thankful. But my intention was never to yuck someone’s yum. (Especially since I can imagine how yummy it must all taste). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

i get that.  I 100% get why someone would choose or need to eat less carbs.  

I don't get why a dish that has 2 types of carbs in it, like this one, is more problematic than a dish that has one.   Like, if I'm at my family meal, and the carby food is stuffing, and I take a 1/4 cup or 2 cups, how is that different than if I'm at my family meal and the carby food is this combination of mashed potatoes and noodles, and I take 1/4 cup or 2 cups.  

Similarly, if I make my hamburger soup with a cup of diced potatoes and a cup of corn kernels, how is that worse than if I make it 2 cups of potatoes or 2 cups of corn.  Or if I make it one cup of potatoes, no corn, and serve it with a slice of bread.  

I live with adolescent boys who are active in sports.  So, I need carbs on the table at every meal.   If I'm doing that, I guess I don't see the difference between smaller servings of 2 carbs, or a dish that combines 2 carbs, vs. a larger serving of one type of carb. 

Because different foods (including carby foods) have different glycemic indexes.  This is why people are recommended to have brown rice instead of white rice.  Or whole wheat bread products instead of white.  Or whole wheat or protein based noodles instead of "regular" noodles.  Or yams instead of white potatoes for the mash.  (which is why one person on this thread has switched).  But I haven't specifically researched the glycemic indexes of this kind of mashed potatoes and noodles and they may very well be the same and in my case, I can't take even a small helping of both even if they sound delicious. 

19 hours ago, Quill said:

For those of you asking for a recipe, this is what dd uses, with the Kitchenaid past sheet attachment on my mixer. Also, this is then cooked in a seriously huge pot with a seriously huge whisk; make a roux and slowly add in ~ 4 quarts of Turkey broth. You can use chicken but Turkey is more accurate for the traditional flavors. If you can add juices directly from a cooked Turkey, so much the better. 

07564CCF-C425-4192-BC91-D74777E32E55.jpeg

Off-topic:  Recipes with handwritten modifications are the best. ❤️  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, saraha said:

My family got all wild on me after I left the nest, and now they bring *salads* on top of all that. 😄 

I don't get why a dish that has 2 types of carbs in it, like this one, is more problematic than a dish that has one. 

Exactly. And when we have a lot like that, we're taking *less* per thing. It's not like the plate got bigger, lol. Besides, we TAKE A WALK afterwards. That deals with all the sins entirely. And you know, now my family is more health conscious and they bring a lot of salads too. So people are taking smaller portions of their old favs and making some balance. 

• Like 1

i get that.  I 100% get why someone would choose or need to eat less carbs.  

I don't get why a dish that has 2 types of carbs in it, like this one, is more problematic than a dish that has one.   Like, if I'm at my family meal, and the carby food is stuffing, and I take a 1/4 cup or 2 cups, how is that different than if I'm at my family meal and the carby food is this combination of mashed potatoes and noodles, and I take 1/4 cup or 2 cups.  

Similarly, if I make my hamburger soup with a cup of diced potatoes and a cup of corn kernels, how is that worse than if I make it 2 cups of potatoes or 2 cups of corn.  Or if I make it one cup of potatoes, no corn, and serve it with a slice of bread.  

I live with adolescent boys who are active in sports.  So, I need carbs on the table at every meal.   If I'm doing that, I guess I don't see the difference between smaller servings of 2 carbs, or a dish that combines 2 carbs, vs. a larger serving of one type of carb. 

I think the issue some people have with this particular dish is that the noodles and potatoes aren't small servings on the side of the plate with a piece of grilled chicken and a large helping of vegetables, they are the whole meal. If you look at the Bob Evans restaurant menu that was mentioned upthread, they serve the noodles and mashed potatoes on top of a biscuit, so that's a 1000-calorie, high glycemic meal with no fiber and not a lot of nutrition. There's a big difference between a plate where the carbs are from white flour and peeled white potatoes and a plate where the carbs are beans, brown rice, and a bunch of veggies, or lentil soup with potatoes and carrots and whole wheat bread on the side.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Ok @WildflowerMom I have the solution for you so you can feel very health and virtuous about your mashed potatoes and noodles (which you are serving, right?). Leave the skins on! Seriously, they won't get as fluffy but they'll be fine. Leave the skins, with all their glorious nutrition, ON, and you can eat your whole food without guilt. 😄 

You know, I don't make a *lot* of noodles when I cook them, and that's the other trick. So make them but think through like 1 cup per person (cooked volume, not raw, hahaha), and just let that be enough. A little dab of something won't hurt most people. 

That better be some special mac and cheese to make a holiday meal. Have you thought about broccoli casserole instead? You clearly need one. 😄 Seriously, I've got two, one traditional and one newer that I like, and they could be revolutionary for you. Still indulgent, but lower carb. 🙂 

Deviled eggs, put cinnamon in and the sugar doens't count, haha. No seriously, I add cinnamon everywhere I can.

https://www.norinesnest.com/broccoli-puff/  Ok, this is a newer to me recipe for broccoli casserole (made it maybe four times), and maybe you'll like it. Not complicated, tastes great. I just made it a couple nights ago in a *deep* dish 9X13 baker. You can get them right now at Target on the cheap, something like 2" deep. Since you're putting down broccoli (I use frozen, I'm lazy) and then layering the sauce on top, deeper means more broccoli, more healthy, haha. My ds will eat half a pan of this in one setting, LOVES it.

The other broccoli casserole recipe is with Ritz crackers and it's probably similar to ones you'll find online. (2 small bags broccoli, 1 sleeve ritz crackers crushed, 1 stick butter, 1 pack Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar)

Enjoy your vegetable eating, hahaha.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

they are the whole meal.

??? I've NEVER seen ANYONE where I live (in multiple states that eat this) eat them as a whole meal. They're always on a buffet, as part of a large holiday menu, or a Sunday dinner alongside other food.

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

If you look at the Bob Evans restaurant menu that was mentioned upthread, they serve the noodles and mashed potatoes on top of a biscuit,

this is the same country that thinks McDonald's is food, sorry. That's low cost food, and it's a choice. But people I know who eat that way also ignore their diabetes, etc. I don't think ANYONE here is endorsing that or saying our families eat that way.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Miss Mousie said:

That's my guess.  Plenty of Germans all across the Midwest.  Including the Pennsylvania Dutch (= Deutsch, = German).

Yup, my mother's family way back was german.

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

I don't eat like that - my brain has no idea what I need so I go by what tempts me.  If mac n cheese and/or stuffing are served at a meal, I'm going to go for those and eat as much as I can without being rude.  I just can't resist those foods (which is why I never serve them).  I can pass on mashed potatoes and noodles even though I like them both a lot.

Now see I'm that way about cookies, mercy. But noodles, I can take just a small amount (usually ½-¾ cup) and be fine. I put them on as much mashed potatoes as I want, because those are all air, lol.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

??? I've NEVER seen ANYONE where I live (in multiple states that eat this) eat them as a whole meal. They're always on a buffet, as part of a large holiday menu, or a Sunday dinner alongside other food.

Maybe you don't eat it that way, but it appears to be very commonly served that way, including in restaurants. If you're only taking half a cup of one high-glycemic, no-fiber food and half a cup of another high-glycemic, no-fiber food, and filling the rest of your plate with protein and vegetables, then, as BaseballandHockey said, two half-cups of simple carbs are no worse than one cup of simple carbs. But when that's the entire meal, that is not healthy.

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.30.27 AM.png

10 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Noodles and mashed potatoes are just one of those delicious comfort foods.  I appreciate the lovely Mennonite who introduced me to this dish.  

Yes, stereotypical comfort foods aren't known to be healthy. We all know that, yet we all have probably scarfed down 1000 calories of some yummy food at least a few times in your lives. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

My family got all wild on me after I left the nest, and now they bring *salads* on top of all that. 😄 

These salads wouldn’t happen to neon colored and have ingredients from either of JELLO’s product line would they, cause those kind of salads are a regular appearance at mil’s Sunday dinners

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

Maybe you don't eat it that way, but it appears to be very commonly served that way, including in restaurants. If you're only taking half a cup of one high-glycemic, no-fiber food and half a cup of another high-glycemic, no-fiber food, and filling the rest of your plate with protein and vegetables, then, as BaseballandHockey said, two half-cups of simple carbs are no worse than one cup of simple carbs. But when that's the entire meal, that is not healthy.

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.30.27 AM.png

Now I’m hungry again!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Yes, stereotypical comfort foods aren't known to be healthy. We all know that, yet we all have probably scarfed down 1000 calories of some yummy food at least a few times in your lives. 

Exactly.  When I want comfort food don’t give me a salad. Give me something like chicken pot pie ( no crust version preferred) or country fried steak.  Lol

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Exactly.  When I want comfort food don’t give me a salad. Give me something like chicken pot pie ( no crust version preferred) or country fried steak.  Lol

Oh see for all this slamming of midwestern food, I've only had chicken pot pie a couple times in my life (and then frozen, convenience) and never a country fried steak. But a nice 7 layer salad, yeah that would get pretty close to comfort food. I mean, would I PICK it if that was the ONLY thing I could have? LOL Maybe not, but I'd sure put it on my plate and feel comforted. 

Here, come to the Dark Side. 😂

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14295/seven-layer-salad/

• Like 1

Wait, you have never had chicken fried steak? It’s a caloric bomb, so I only ever have it every few years, when I go back home, but I also grew up with that (and jello salad, and seven layer salad and all of those other stereotypical church dinner foods).

My relatives typically live into their late 90s….I am sure I generally eat way healthier than they ever did. 

Have you ever had saltine caramel chocolate bars? 

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Wait, you have never had chicken fried steak? It’s a caloric bomb, so I only ever have it every few years, when I go back home, but I also grew up with that (and jello salad, and seven layer salad and all of those other stereotypical church dinner foods).

My relatives typically live into their late 90s….I am sure I generally eat way healthier than they ever did. 

Have you ever had saltine caramel chocolate bars? 

I've never even heard of chicken fried streak.  

I've been wanting to make the saltine chocolate bars but never had.  They are supposed to be amazing but I don't know.  

@PeterPan    I never thought of pot pie as midwestern.  Is it?  I grew up in FL and my mom made chicken pot pie all the time.  DH grew up in OH and never had it before and thinks it looks gross.  I loved it as a kid and definitely consider it a comfort food.  My kids are all adults and I don't think any of them have had it before.  If they did, it wasn't while they were growing up (in Ohio).  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I never thought of pot pie as midwestern.  Is it?  I grew up in FL and my mom made chicken pot pie all the time.  DH grew up in OH and never had it before and thinks it looks gross. 

Yeah, to me it's pretty odd. I've never seen anyone in my family make it. I know someone who does as a normal part of her family's meals, but I don't recall where she's from. I had one once at a Ruby Tuesday where they put puff pastry on top, and that really elevated it. Might miss the whole jackolantern thing but be more tasty. Biscuits would be better or good too. I agree it's at least weird. Like if you're going to eat a pie, eat a pie, lol.

I think I have some puff pastry in the freezer. Maybe I should put that on the pot pie filling instead. Yum. I have cherries to use with the pie crust.

10 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I've been wanting to make the saltine chocolate bars but never had.  They are supposed to be amazing but I don't know.  

Ok, those I've had (at a party), and they really do transform into something totally other. Every year I think I'm going to make them and then every year I don't get it done, lol.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Biscuits would be better or good too. I agree it's at least weird. Like if you're going to eat a pie, eat a pie, lol.

Ok, those I've had (at a party), and they really do transform into something totally other. Every year I think I'm going to make them and then every year I don't get it done, lol.

What I remember loving about the pot pie was that the crust would get really soggy and soak up the flavor of the creamy soup.  I love stuff like that so it was great.  DH hates that kind of consistency so he would never go for it.  I wouldn't want that on biscuits, though.  Biscuits have to be on their own - I LOVE biscuits so much and can't have them in the house.  When we travel and have free breakfast at hotels I must eat 100 biscuits in a week.  I can't stop myself. It's disgusting.  

I've heard the saltine toffee dessert is delicious.  Will have to try it sometime.  Looks so easy.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yeah, to me it's pretty odd. I've never seen anyone in my family make it. I know someone who does as a normal part of her family's meals, but I don't recall where she's from. I had one once at a Ruby Tuesday where they put puff pastry on top, and that really elevated it. Might miss the whole jackolantern thing but be more tasty. Biscuits would be better or good too. I agree it's at least weird. Like if you're going to eat a pie, eat a pie, lol.

I think I have some puff pastry in the freezer. Maybe I should put that on the pot pie filling instead. Yum. I have cherries to use with the pie crust.

12 minutes ago, Kassia said:

What I remember loving about the pot pie was that the crust would get really soggy and soak up the flavor of the creamy soup.  I love stuff like that so it was great.  DH hates that kind of consistency so he would never go for it.  I wouldn't want that on biscuits, though.  Biscuits have to be on their own - I LOVE biscuits so much and can't have them in the house.  When we travel and have free breakfast at hotels I must eat 100 biscuits in a week.  I can't stop myself. It's disgusting.  

I've heard the saltine toffee dessert is delicious.  Will have to try it sometime.  Looks so easy.  

You need to check out PA Dutch pot pie.  No crust and it is a delicious in a bowl.  Add fresh baked bread or a biscuit and i am in heaven. 

I grew up with the crust version in the south and hated crust.  This version is perfect.  Chicken, pieces of potatoes and carrots, noodles and sauce. 

• Like 3

OMG YES!! WOW WOW WOW!! 

Chicken and noodles and mashed potatoes! This is so important to my family! I could have a bevy of cousins flood this forum and thread with discussion of how this is THE MEAL. 

We've all pretty much lost the art of making noodles, though, in our generation.  I remember when I was little seeing the dough stretched out in the kitchen at Grandma's in southern Indiana. And those noodles really need to be homemade -- store bought noodles on mashed potatoes are weird. 

Also, homemade yeast rolls on the side. Starch on starch on starch. Whew! For the record, we tend to be tiny people, and our most-likely-to-drop-dead age is 94, so somehow this is apparently what our metabolism was designed for.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

While I generally don’t like fruit pies because I don’t really like pie crust (pumpkin is my favorite because you can generally just peel off the entire crust or if making yourself, put the filling in custard cups and skip the crust), I do like and make chicken pot pie. But when I eat my piece, I break up all of the crust and mix it with the filling, so it’s really more like a casserole with meat, vegetables (no potatoes in my version), white sauce, and the crust for a carb. You could just as well make it without the crust and serve the filling over noodles, mashed potatoes biscuits, rice, etc. Although I never make it and haven’t had it in almost 40 years, one of my favorite school lunches was creamed chicken over biscuits. I will say that chicken pot pie makes for excellent, easy leftovers for work. 

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

Funny carb story from DH:

In the early 90s (1993?) he attended a college event at Susquehanna University.  They finished up late on Saturday afternoon and were heading back home. Being on the college dime they decided to grab dinner before starting and ended up stopping at a diner/restuarant at a mall. He can't remember the name but thinks "Home Cookin'" was in it.

They get seated and they get a waitress he said can only described as a 70-year old version of Flo from the TV show "Alice".  Gum snapping, pencil behind the ear, and even a heavy accent - the whole package.

A friend orders the meatloaf plate and orders the mashed potatoes. She snaps that it comes with another side. He quickly scans the menu and orders french fries. She slaps her pad against the table, points the pencil at him and yells "Young man do you realize you just ordered TWO starches???"  

Friend replies "You have to forgive me I just really like carbs."

She glares at him and moves on.

She leaves with the orders, walks by a few minutes later, throws a roll at Mr. Two Starches and yells "Here are some more carbs for you buddy!"

DH said the food was mediocre but they didn't complain and tipped very well out of fear. 

Edited by AnotherNewName
  • Haha 4

Ok, now I need to make more polls, except I can’t since I am not good at them!

1. We eat chicken fried steak once a month, except we call it country fried steak. For my in-laws I will fry their steaks, then bake in a little water for a couple of hours until the become “baked steak” and it is fork tender but obviously not crispy (my kids call it old people food)

2. I can hardly believe there is anyone on the United States that hasn’t had pot pie! I cheat and what my kids think of as pot pie is pot pie filling in a 9x13 pan with a rolled out biscuit top. Not actually a pie at all but 🤷🏼‍♀️Everyone I make it for likes it

3. My dh after having thread updates read to him regularly is disappointed because the non-noodlers started out strong but then people he suspects are related to me somehow started commenting. For over twenty years I have been making noodles and mashed potatoes for me and the kids and a single serving of gravy for dh! He just doesn’t know what is good

4. What are typical family meal foods for non Midwesterners?

20 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Because different foods (including carby foods) have different glycemic indexes.  This is why people are recommended to have brown rice instead of white rice.  Or whole wheat bread products instead of white.  Or whole wheat or protein based noodles instead of "regular" noodles.  Or yams instead of white potatoes for the mash.  (which is why one person on this thread has switched).  But I haven't specifically researched the glycemic indexes of this kind of mashed potatoes and noodles and they may very well be the same and in my case, I can't take even a small helping of both even if they sound delicious. 

I've found one easy substitution that really helps me is to refrigerate and reheat potatoes. The starch changes to resistant starch which is easier on the insulin and helps feed good bacteria in the gut. And no flavor difference! I roast potatoes once a week and then keep in the fridge. Then at breakfast add a small amount to the pan where I'm cooking my eggs to reheat them. no big dump of insulin/blood sugar that I can tell. VERY different than say, if I have toast or what not. Bet it would work with the mashed potatoes too. I may start making those the day before, for holidays. 

19 hours ago, Miss Mousie said:

That's my guess.  Plenty of Germans all across the Midwest.  Including the Pennsylvania Dutch (= Deutsch, = German).

I'll have to ask my dad about this dish! His grandparents were immigrants from Germany and Slovakia. (The slovakian ones owned a bakery)

19 hours ago, PeterPan said:

When I visited Wisconsin they had "popcorn salad". I have no idea what was in it, other than carbs and fat, lol. YUM. (we ate it with pizza and champagne....my Grandma's idea)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Found popcorn salad recipe  - the one I had definitely had chunks of bacon and I think some shredded cheddar. https://brobible.com/culture/article/what-is-pop-corn-salad/

Definitely didn't have peas...I hate peas. Might have had celery. 

Wow. It was good really? Did the popcorn get soggy? This sounds like recipe straight outta the depression! 

37 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Found popcorn salad recipe  - the one I had definitely had chunks of bacon and I think some shredded cheddar. https://brobible.com/culture/article/what-is-pop-corn-salad/

Definitely didn't have peas...I hate peas. Might have had celery. 

Whoever wrote that article said the same thing I did when I read your post.    😆

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I've found one easy substitution that really helps me is to refrigerate and reheat potatoes. The starch changes to resistant starch which is easier on the insulin and helps feed good bacteria in the gut. And no flavor difference! I roast potatoes once a week and then keep in the fridge. Then at breakfast add a small amount to the pan where I'm cooking my eggs to reheat them. no big dump of insulin/blood sugar that I can tell. VERY different than say, if I have toast or what not. Bet it would work with the mashed potatoes too. I may start making those the day before, for holidays. 

I was googling this as I hadn't heard about it. My dh LOVES day old potatoes fried, oh my. Maybe his body knows? Anyways this article https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/resistant-starch-101#digestive-system  mentions that as the bacteria in your gut digest resistant starches, they release gases and *butyrate*. Butyrate is mentioned here

https://epiphanyasd.blogspot.com/search?q=butyrate

because of the research for it's effects in reducing inflammation and improving some autism symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Wow. It was good really? Did the popcorn get soggy? This sounds like recipe straight outta the depression! 

I found it delicious, in a potato salad kind of way. Not sure I would have known it was popcorn if I hadn't seen the label. 

• Like 1