Menu

please get your booster if you can (and you probably can)

ktgrok

Just now, Syllieann said:

You would be better off getting a Modern a booster, which could be on the discussion table next week.  It might be worth waiting a few extra days...unless you have a contraindication on the mrna.  If that's the case, carry on with the plan for J&J ASAP.

It will take several days for the ds in the dorms, if not a couple of weeks, to get one on campus because much will depend on what campus health chooses to do. Dh and I are on our way to Alabama on Sunday, so ASAP for us means Nov. 1st in all probability. We will see what gets said by then. I was team Moderna to begin with, so will be getting Moderna no matter what. My mom is already camping at times bit for her third Moderna. JnJ is all my mother in law is willing to take.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Those myocarditis numbers after 6 months look really good.  I have a feeling my younger son will be spacing his closer to 12 than 3 weeks.  We really need to look at revising the spacing for the under-20 males.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

Those myocarditis numbers after 6 months look really good.  I have a feeling my younger son will be spacing his closer to 12 than 3 weeks.  We really need to look at revising the spacing for the under-20 males.

Is this a kid under 12?  OR are you saying that for an older kid you would space out the third dose more than 3 months after the second one? 

52 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is this a kid under 12?  OR are you saying that for an older kid you would space out the third dose more than 3 months after the second one? 

For my unvaccinated 8 year old, I'm saying when they get approved I'll leave more than 3 weeks between first and second shots unless we have a surge or something. 

Based on the Israeli data I expect I will boost my already-vaccinated tween son at 6 months.

Edited by Syllieann
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Syllieann said:

That is really good information on myocarditis. I'm super curious whether the risk to males will still be a factor in prepubescent boys. With those numbers though, I don't feel concerned about boosting my teen boy in the future, at least 6 months after his original series.

• Like 1

The news about myocarditis after the booster is fantastic! I hope they will ultimately approve boosters for younger people. On the other hand, I am very disappointed that Moderna really did NOT study the question of 50 vs 100 booster dose (or did they, and I am not seeing it anywhere?). Of course, they want to maximize profits, and a half dose booster does that. Where is the comparison in terms of at least antibody response and side effects? Do we know anything?

1 hour ago, Mom_to3 said:

The news about myocarditis after the booster is fantastic! I hope they will ultimately approve boosters for younger people. On the other hand, I am very disappointed that Moderna really did NOT study the question of 50 vs 100 booster dose (or did they, and I am not seeing it anywhere?). Of course, they want to maximize profits, and a half dose booster does that. Where is the comparison in terms of at least antibody response and side effects? Do we know anything?

I don't have the link pulled up anymore, but the Moderna data presented to the FDA this week was on the 50mcg dose. It's the mix and match dose study from the NIH that used the full 100mcg dose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom_to3 said:

On the other hand, I am very disappointed that Moderna really did NOT study the question of 50 vs 100 booster dose (or did they, and I am not seeing it anywhere?). Of course, they want to maximize profits, and a half dose booster does that. Where is the comparison in terms of at least antibody response and side effects? Do we know anything?

Moderna did study a 100 µg booster as well as the 50, but I don't think they have released data on the higher dose, since they aren't asking for approval for that. It makes me wonder if the adverse effects with the 100 µg booster were too high and they don't want to release that info. They also tested a 50 µg booster that was specifically tweaked for Beta (that trial was started in the spring before Delta took over) and a 50 µg booster that was a 50/50 mix of the "regular" vaccine and the Beta-tweaked version, but ultimately they decided to go for 50 µg of the original vaccine as a booster.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

So I am wondering if it’s worth waiting for approval to mix vaccines. I had Moderna. Will I be better off with a Pfizer booster? I am hearing mixing produces better results. 
I feel Ok to wait. Infection numbers are super low in our community. 

From this week’s data, it looks like that’s only the case for those who had Johnson and Johnson first. It worked better to boost that with an mRNA. But mixing like that hasn’t been approved yet. There’s been a lot of doctors that have already gone ahead and done that though, for what it’s worth. For mRNA vaccines, it still looks like boosting with another mRNA works best. The caveat being that we don’t have data for long enough yet to know if it might last longer if mixed and matched. Initial antibodies are better with mRNA though. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Moderna did study a 100 µg booster as well as the 50, but I don't think they have released data on the higher dose, since they aren't asking for approval for that. It makes me wonder if the adverse effects with the 100 µg booster were too high and they don't want to release that info. They also tested a 50 µg booster that was specifically tweaked for Beta (that trial was started in the spring before Delta took over) and a 50 µg booster that was a 50/50 mix of the "regular" vaccine and the Beta-tweaked version, but ultimately they decided to go for 50 µg of the original vaccine as a booster.

I found some of the data in the appendix of the Moderna submission. Indeed, nothing on the side effects of the 100 booster. And tiny sample size, really. What a shame. 

• Like 2

I got the J&J vaccine in April, and I'm not sure whether to boost with J&J or wait a bit to see if I can get an mRNA vaccine. I didn't read the whole article because of a paywall, but this Boston Globe article says although it produced fewer antibodies, the J&J vaccine is not showing evidence of waning: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/15/business/study-says-johnson-johnson-vaccine-immune-response-is-more-durable-than-pfizer-moderna/

If a second J&J brings immunity levels up to a similar level as two doses of Pfizer or Moderna—I read that somewhere but I don't remember where now—and that immunity holds long term, maybe I should stick with J&J? ...But then there are the few women who have thrombosis or Guillain-Barré...

This study showed that mRNA after J&J produced more antibodies, but if they wane in 6 months and J&J antibodies remain steady, which is better? https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/10/13/1045485935/study-of-covid-vaccine-boosters-suggests-moderna-or-pfizer-works-best

What are other J&J peeps thinking?

6 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

So I am wondering if it’s worth waiting for approval to mix vaccines. I had Moderna. Will I be better off with a Pfizer booster? I am hearing mixing produces better results. 
I feel Ok to wait. Infection numbers are super low in our community. 

Mixing is looking better if you are mixing a more traditional vaccine like J&J or AstraZeneca with an MRNA. I've seen nothing that indicates boosting with Pfizer after Moderna is better than Moderna after Moderna. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

I found some of the data in the appendix of the Moderna submission. Indeed, nothing on the side effects of the 100 booster. And tiny sample size, really. What a shame. 

There is this, which makes it look like side effects are more severe with the 100 Moderna than the 30 Pfizer.  Unfortunately we are unable to compare to 50 Moderna and the sample size is small with no placebo.ecf66402-1d5e-4022-b55f-07e14f517228_676 

Edited by Syllieann

9 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

I got the J&J vaccine in April, and I'm not sure whether to boost with J&J or wait a bit to see if I can get an mRNA vaccine. I didn't read the whole article because of a paywall, but this Boston Globe article says although it produced fewer antibodies, the J&J vaccine is not showing evidence of waning: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/15/business/study-says-johnson-johnson-vaccine-immune-response-is-more-durable-than-pfizer-moderna/

If a second J&J brings immunity levels up to a similar level as two doses of Pfizer or Moderna—I read that somewhere but I don't remember where now—and that immunity holds long term, maybe I should stick with J&J? ...But then there are the few women who have thrombosis or Guillain-Barré...

This study showed that mRNA after J&J produced more antibodies, but if they wane in 6 months and J&J antibodies remain steady, which is better? https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/10/13/1045485935/study-of-covid-vaccine-boosters-suggests-moderna-or-pfizer-works-best

J&J may wane more slowly, but efficacy is quite a bit lower to begin with, so it's just maintaining a relatively  low level vs starting higher and then gradually waning to a low level. I think Moderna's efficacy even after 6-8 months is still higher than J&J. And the J&J booster doesn't give nearly as much of a boost: Serum antibody levels in J&J recipients who got a J&J booster were at 368 units per mL on day 29, compared to 2803 for J&J recipients who got a Moderna booster (and 5917 for Moderna recipients who got a Moderna booster). So there is a lot of room for "waning" with Moderna boosters before the levels get even close to the level with 2 shots of J&J. (Caveat: the NIH study used a full 100 µg dose of Moderna instead of a 50 µg dose, so the actual results will likely fall somewhere between the numbers NIH reported for Moderna and the ones they reported for Pfizer.)

If I had J&J for my first shot, I would definitely be looking for a Moderna booster if the FDA approves that. I think there has been some debate on the committee as to whether there is any point in formally approving mixed doses when its expected that Moderna and J&J will have full approval in the next few months, which means the EUA restrictions on getting the same brand for all doses will no longer apply. But I do hope they remove those restrictions ASAP, because I think it will encourage more people to get boosted if they can choose which one they get.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

J&J may wane more slowly, but efficacy is quite a bit lower to begin with, so it's just maintaining a relatively  low level vs starting higher and then gradually waning to a low level. I think Moderna's efficacy even after 6-8 months is still higher than J&J. And the J&J booster doesn't give nearly as much of a boost: Serum antibody levels in J&J recipients who got a J&J booster were at 368 units per mL on day 29, compared to 2803 for J&J recipients who got a Moderna booster (and 5917 for Moderna recipients who got a Moderna booster). So there is a lot of room for "waning" with Moderna boosters before the levels get even close to the level with 2 shots of J&J. (Caveat: the NIH study used a full 100 µg dose of Moderna instead of a 50 µg dose, so the actual results will likely fall somewhere between the numbers NIH reported for Moderna and the ones they reported for Pfizer.)

Thanks! I didn't know the bolded. I had read that...

"The J&J vaccine jumped from about 74 percent efficacy with one shot to about 94 percent efficacy with two shots.

The increase by the second shot puts the J&J vaccine efficacy close to Pfizer and Moderna, the other two-dose vaccines." https://www.wlwt.com/article/jandj-vaccine-effective-second-shot-six-months/37682225#

But that was last month, and I can't find other sources or links to studies.

I was thinking that if the second J&J really does put levels on par with the initial two doses of the mRNA vaccines, plus doesn't wane, it might be worth considering, but those serum levels you mentioned look starkly different.

I also didn't know the restrictions about mix and match would be lifted after full approval. Many thanks for the extra information!

Edited by iamonlyone
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

I had J&J for several reasons.  One, it was the first vaccine available to me.  Second, I have had an anaphylactic reaction before that put me in a cautionary category for Moderna and Pfizer.  I will have to do some research to see if that advice has changed.  

I know that it is simply anecdotal and depends upon who you know and how many people you know who have had which vaccine, but I do not know anyone who had J&J and has had a breakthrough infection.  Everyone I have known with a breakthrough infection (including one person who has died) had Moderna or Pfizer.  Quite a few people I know got J&J because that is what my employer had early on, and we have been in a high-transmission part of the country.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I had J&J for several reasons.  One, it was the first vaccine available to me.  Second, I have had an anaphylactic reaction before that put me in a cautionary category for Moderna and Pfizer.  I will have to do some research to see if that advice has changed.  

I know that it is simply anecdotal and depends upon who you know and how many people you know who have had which vaccine, but I do not know anyone who had J&J and has had a breakthrough infection. 

That is why I got J&J also; it was available several weeks before I could book an appointment for a different vaccine.

I did see this chart today, about cases per vaccine; however, rates of death for those under 65 years old who are vaccinated with any vaccine are close to zero (graph in same article).

rates of covid 19 deaths chart, showing far higher rates for unvaccinated, but among vaccinated: j&j highest and moderna lowest

https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-jj-vaccine-doesnt-protect-as-well-as-moderna-pfizer-2021-10

48 minutes ago, iamonlyone said:

I was thinking that if the second J&J really does put levels on par with the initial two doses of the mRNA vaccines, plus doesn't wane, it might be worth considering, but those serum levels you mentioned look starkly different.

If I was weighing this and had gotten Johnson and Johnson first, I would be weighing the very tiny risk of a blood clot with a second Johnson and Johnson in my decision as well. If my only option for a second shot was Johnson and Johnson, I would definitely get it, because the risk of a blood clot or any other bad effect is MUCH higher from not having two shots and getting Covid than the minute risk from the vaccine itself. However, if I were able to get a Moderna or Pfizer instead, I would do so. The increased efficacy would be my primary reason, but I would consider the decreased clot risk an added benefit. 

Edited by KSera
Not Madonna 🤦‍♀️
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Syllieann said:

There is this, which makes it look like side effects are more severe with the 100 Moderna than the 30 Pfizer.  Unfortunately we are unable to compare to 50 Moderna and the sample size is small with no placebo.ecf66402-1d5e-4022-b55f-07e14f517228_676 

Thank you for posting! I now looked for this and found it - it's from the mix and match study. Too late for me, as I went ahead and got the Moderna 3rd shot this morning, as it was given out at a super convenient location. We'll see. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

I still wish they had done larger (and comparative) studies and followed up with participants to see what happens to their antibodies over time.

• Like 3

Thanks, KSera. I think you make a good point. I'm technically a bit over the the age that has had the most problems with blood clots, but yeah, maybe it's safer to go with one of the mRNA vaccines that haven't had documented severe side effects for my gender/age.

Edited by iamonlyone
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, iamonlyone said:

Thanks, KSera. I think you make a good point. I'm technically a bit over the the age that has had the most problems with blood clots, but yeah, maybe it's safer to go with one the mRNA vaccines that haven't had documented severe side effects for my gender/age.

And just to reiterate, if I were you and J&J is the one you have available, I would do that in a heartbeat. I don’t have any big scare feeling about J&J, it’s just that given the lower efficacy, that coupled with a tiny increase in serious side effects would make me pick otherwise if I had a choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

Thanks! I didn't know the bolded. I had read that...

"The J&J vaccine jumped from about 74 percent efficacy with one shot to about 94 percent efficacy with two shots.

The increase by the second shot puts the J&J vaccine efficacy close to Pfizer and Moderna, the other two-dose vaccines." https://www.wlwt.com/article/jandj-vaccine-effective-second-shot-six-months/37682225#

But that was last month, and I can't find other sources or links to studies.

I also didn't know the restrictions about mix and match would be lifted after full approval. Many thanks for the extra information!

One thing to keep in mind when comparing J&J numbers with mRNA vaccines is that J&J's "94% efficacy"  is against "moderate to severe" illness, whereas the mRNA efficacy numbers are against symptomatic infection. I have been trying to find the actual data from J&J's ENSEMBLE 2 study that produced those figures, to see what the date range was and how much of the trial took place during the peak of Delta, but so far I haven't been able to find it. Since the efficacy rate they got outside the US was nearly 20 points lower than what they reported for the US, it makes me wonder if the higher efficacy reported for the US is reflective of fewer variant cases.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Thanks 1

I don't remember if this is where we're reporting booster side effects, but here is my experience...boosted with Pfizer (had Pfizer originally) on Thursday. I was shaky overnight, but it didn't interrupt my sleep, and I wasn't febrile. I felt better with warmer blankets, but I didn't exactly feel cold. I had a slight headache, but nothing significant. 

On Friday, I felt like my muscles were mildly sore, but not even enough to notice if I weren't thinking about side effects. I was a little tired. I had body aches, but we also had big storms go through nearby, and I've been achy every time that happened all summer. The aches subsided with ibuprofen and did not last overnight. My arm has a red, itchy spot (diffuse), and it's not as itchy as I often had with allergy shots and often have with a flu shot. It's sore if my arm is bumped near it, but I can lie on that shoulder to sleep without issue. 

I have a little mild vertigo today, but that's also not uncommon when the weather changes drastically--it's like my sinuses open up and my equilibrium needs to recalculate (I've always been this way--if a major weather change happens in the middle of the night, I'll wake up with a running nose, lol!).

None of these things have lasted as long or been as severe as with my second shot.

If the body aches were from the booster, I consider it efficient to have overlapped with the storms passing by since I would've ached from them anyway, lol! 

ETA: I had sore armpits for a couple of hours but no discernable swelling. That's also a lot less than with the second shot.

Edited by kbutton
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

One thing to keep in mind when comparing J&J numbers with mRNA vaccines is that J&J's "94% efficacy"  is against "moderate to severe" illness, whereas the mRNA efficacy numbers are against symptomatic infection. I have been trying to find the actual data from J&J's ENSEMBLE 2 study that produced those figures, to see what the date range was and how much of the trial took place during the peak of Delta, but so far I haven't been able to find it. Since the efficacy rate they got outside the US was nearly 20 points lower than what they reported for the US, it makes me wonder if the higher efficacy reported for the US is reflective of fewer variant cases.

I did not know that! Thank you!!

1 hour ago, rebcoola said:

I've gotten appointment for Moday to get my Pfizer booster.  I was kind of thinking of waiting to 8 months or seeing if a Moderna 3rd would be better instead.  But we aren't really locked down anymore and better to get more protection right now.

I made the same choice. Just got my booster yesterday. 

I had a big allergen exposure yesterday as well, so I doubt that my misery today can be attributed purely to the booster. Every cell in my body aches. Woke up slightly feverish as well. Have been sipping soothing liquids and laying around. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

I made the same choice. Just got my booster yesterday. 

I had a big allergen exposure yesterday as well, so I doubt that my misery today can be attributed purely to the booster. Every cell in my body aches. Woke up slightly feverish as well. Have been sipping soothing liquids and laying around. 

Hope you feel better soon.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got the J&J in March, because it was before the vax was available to the general public and I felt lucky to be able to get it. We didn't even know what we were walking in to get that day. 

I would normally wait until they approve Moderna for a booster, as we mask and maintain pretty low risk activities. 

HOWEVER, I am heading on a cross country trip with a friend in mid-November. There will be a lot more mixing with people and eating in restaurants (and airports) than in my regular life. My instinct is to get my J&J booster as soon as it becomes available, so that I'll be back up to better protected status by the trip. That makes sense, yes? Vaccine mixing will likely not be approved in time. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

I got the J&J in March, because it was before the vax was available to the general public and I felt lucky to be able to get it. We didn't even know what we were walking in to get that day. 

I would normally wait until they approve Moderna for a booster, as we mask and maintain pretty low risk activities. 

HOWEVER, I am heading on a cross country trip with a friend in mid-November. There will be a lot more mixing with people and eating in restaurants (and airports) than in my regular life. My instinct is to get my J&J booster as soon as it becomes available, so that I'll be back up to better protected status by the trip. That makes sense, yes? Vaccine mixing will likely not be approved in time. 

Based on what I’m reading getting mRNA booster would be much better but I guess the vaccine you can get is better than no vaccine.

FDA is going to approve mixing boosters:

"The Food and Drug Administration is planning to allow Americans to receive a different Covid-19 vaccine as a booster than the one they initially received, a move that could reduce the appeal of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and provide flexibility to doctors and other vaccinators.

The government would not recommend one shot over another, and it might note that using the same vaccine as a booster when possible is preferable, people familiar with the agency’s planning said. But vaccine providers could use their discretion to offer a different brand, a freedom that state health officials have been requesting for weeks."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/18/us/politics/fda-mix-and-match-boosters.html

• Like 2

Just got my booster shot!  Pfizer after two doses of AZ (we live in Europe).  Very glad to have done all that I can to safeguard our health and the health of those around us (masking, too, of course!)

So far, nothing but a bit of soreness where the jab went in. 🙂

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Terabith said:

@ktgrok, how is your sister?

Pretty much the same as of a few days ago. Have not talked to her in the last two days. She finds it hard to talk on the phone, and we are going nuts trying to get everything packed. My parents are helping, so I don't have to worry about that until we get over there and are closer to pitch in. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

On 10/18/2021 at 4:03 PM, Sk8ermaiden said:

FDA formally approved this today and CDC should sign off on it tomorrow, so you should be able to get whatever booster you want within days, maybe even Friday.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 11:56 AM, ktgrok said:

Pretty much the same as of a few days ago. Have not talked to her in the last two days. She finds it hard to talk on the phone, and we are going nuts trying to get everything packed. My parents are helping, so I don't have to worry about that until we get over there and are closer to pitch in. 

Please do keep us updated. I think of her often.

• Like 1

(x-posted from the main vaccine thread)

Pfizer released some really excellent data on the booster this morning. They divided 10,000 people, all of whom had previously had the 2-shot Pfizer series, into booster and placebo groups, and in 2.5 months of follow-up there were 5 cases in the boosted group and 109 in the unboosted group, for an efficacy rate of 95.6%. And that is compared to people who had 2 doses of Pfizer, not unvaxxed people. Presumably the rate would be even higher compared to those who have not had any vaccine. (ETA: In case it isn't clear, that is 95.6% efficacy against symptomatic illness, not just severe illness or hospitalization.)

Pfizer announcement: https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-phase-3-trial-data-showing

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 9