Menu

Where do you think Brian Laundrie is?

Scarlett

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

When this all started, I really thought this would end up a murder-suicide type thing, just with more time in between the deaths. But his parents’ actions have made it seem that either they know he’s ok, or they set him and got him started on running/hiding and they hope he’s ok, or maybe they just think he’s hiding and hope he’s ok. (That was a confusing sentence!) 

I’m feeling skeptical that the parents just decided to go out and help today, and immediately found some of his belongings. It feels unlikely.

What’s the deal with the parents mailing a package called “meal kit”? That seems unlikely, too—they couldn’t possibly think that would be unnoticed. Is there a source for that? That just seems like it would be intended to generate suspicion. Weird.

The bolded I can agree with.  I think it is entirely possible they hope he escaped somehow and could even have been in on the planning.  Probably.  

And even if they 'planted' evidence...which I believe to be highly unlikely....doesn't change the fact that there is a body there.  

• Like 1

So according to this, they're at Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park, not the reserve.  These guys are both from the North and from what I've seen before have never walked in a swamp, but their news is generally accurate. 

https://wgntv.com/news/live-items-belonging-to-brian-laundrie-found-on-trail-at-north-port-park-family-attorney-says/?fbclid=IwAR1YTKagiPW6G-iGiHN5AHaFuP7eWQHEst7o9-j38z0GThZdoDKp4AloZe0

ETA:  I say this because in the first week or two of the search I was watching one of their live streams and someone asked what the ground was like...  They both described helping with missing persons cases near where they grew up, one was in Minnesota, both guessed it was like a bog, and had clearly never been in a sandy Florida swamp.

Edited by Katy

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

The bolded I can agree with.  I think it is entirely possible they hope he escaped somehow and could even have been in on the planning.  Probably.  

And even if they 'planted' evidence...which I believe to be highly unlikely....doesn't change the fact that there is a body there.  

Oh, yes, I didn’t think they planted evidence. Just sort of knew where he most likely was.

36 minutes ago, Katy said:

It's extremely unlikely that it's BL.

My total guess?  The cadaver dog found the body a few days ago and they just discovered it when BL's parents were there "helping" to see how they'd react.

You think LE left a body out there for a few days to test the parents?   Maybe I’m misunderstanding.   

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Katy said:

Pictures of the "meal kit" box on Daily Mail.  They probably reused an old box.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10111727/Fugitive-Brian-Laundries-parents-ship-mysterious-box-labeled-meal-kit.html

Yeah. This looks like a cut down box of something they had at the house.  Looking at the picture makes it much less suspicious than the news item.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

You think LE left a body out there for a few days to test the parents?   Maybe I’m misunderstanding.   

If it ends up being an animal bone, yeah, possibly planted to see them panic and reach out to wherever they're hiding him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Man some of y'all got bigger imaginations than mine.  I think the simplest answer is probably what happened.  He went off into the woods and killed himself because he murdered his girlfriend.

I think you're probably right, except I'd add the words "and got caught" to the end of your post.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes, I gathered it was sarcasm.  But what are you trying to say?  

I don't trust his parents - they have acted like they know more the entire time.  Only a complete idiot wouldn't *know* something was up when their child returns from a long car trip - without the girl friend- BUT DRIVING *the girlfriend's car*.

I wouldn't put it past them to plant evidence to make it seem like Brian was in the reserve.  

We don't know "the body" (which may or may not be  his - especially with the information of a very large homeless population, or even human) and Brian's items were found in proximity to each other. we have no idea what condition the items are in.  If they've been underwater - they would be covered in muck, and deteriorating.  Yet his parents were able to ID them as his.

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

I was only aware of one found while they searched for Gabby. 

there was another couple who appear to have been murdered, but it was later determined Gabby and Brian were elsewhere when they likely died.

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

But why would he be dead? Suicide? Overdose? I mean, it isn't like someone else killed Gabby, then waited and killed BL a month later...so it still makes no sense. 

Suicide -     He knew it was only a matter of time, and he'd spend his life on the run.  Or a critter, and he'd be afraid to go for help.

53 minutes ago, Katy said:

OTOH, The news is now saying they're in the reserve, not the county park.

There are several miles where they abut each other.  baring a canyon separating them, It wouldn't be hard to go back and forth.

Edited by gardenmom5

6 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Man some of y'all got bigger imaginations than mine.  I think the simplest answer is probably what happened.  He went off into the woods and killed himself because he murdered his girlfriend.

1 minute ago, Junie said:

I think you're probably right, except I'd add the words "and got caught" to the end of your post.

Yes, this.   
my theory was he was hiding somewhere familiar so that he could get back home once everything died down.   Either he killed himself or got snake bit and died. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Idk.  Flood waters make snakes come around big time.    I think it’s possible he was supposed to check in with his parents on a certain day and when they didn’t hear from him, they went out looking.  

• Like 2

I don't think the parents are as conniving as some make them out to be. My opinion is that BL came back with a tearful tale about a fight with Gabby that "got out of control". He probably told them a variation of "she fell and hit her head; I panicked and ran", and they believed him. He was probably hoping her body would either never be found or found after decomposition made determining the manner of death difficult.  They probably gave him money, supplies, and told him to hide out while they talked with a lawyer.

Once the medical examiner determined death via strangulation and that fact hit the news, the jig was up and he killed himself. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I don't think the parents are as conniving as some make them out to be. My opinion is that BL came back with a tearful tale about a fight with Gabby that "got out of control". He probably told them a variation of "she fell and hit her head; I panicked and ran", and they believed him. He was probably hoping her body would either never be found or found after decomposition made determining the manner of death difficult.  They probably gave him money, supplies, and told him to hide out while they talked with a lawyer.

Once the medical examiner determined death via strangulation and that fact hit the news, the jig was up and he killed himself. 

Exactly my take on it all.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Resilient said:

They should just hire Bones and Booth and get the answer in 5 minutes like they do on TV.  

(insider joke for "Bones" watchers)

You mean the Jeffersonian isn't going to help out here?

I was thinking where is Reid, Garcia, Morgan and Rossi when we need them.  Lol

Criminal Minds for those who don’t get the reference.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I don't think the parents are as conniving as some make them out to be.

Disappearing their son (and not one bone in my body questions that they did) was already plenty conniving. They may not be successful in the long run, but they had a plan. Or part of a plan.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I just saw on the news that his parents are the ones that took the police to the area and weaving in and out on the trail found the human remains a mile in.  That sounds nuts.   

Apparently that area is where the parents told the police he would be all along.  Yesterday was the first day it was opened back up to the public/not underwater.  And the police found a backpack at the same time the dad found the dry bag.  So I don't think there is some big mystery here.  

Or maybe I am just not seeing what everyone else is seeing.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Disappearing their son (and not one bone in my body questions that they did) was already plenty conniving. They may not be successful in the long run, but they had a plan. Or part of a plan.

But what was their plan exactly?  At this point, since those remains are most likely him, I think their only 'plan' was to not speak to the police.  He obviously just parked the car and then walked 2-3 miles into the reserve and either killed himself or died somehow.  

And I may have dreamed this but I think I heard their attorney last night saying that the parents did report him missing the day he did not come home (on a Mon or Tuesday).  And the police on Friday of that week searched the house to be sure he wasn't there.  

I can't remember now if he disappeared before or after Gabby's body was found. But he surely knew he was caught and was going down.  

The parents seemed really smug and unconcerned that their son was missing.  Plus, the camping trip after he came back and the way they wouldn't talk to her parents.  It seems like they were secure in the knowledge that their son was safely hidden, which doesn't jive with this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

The parents seemed really smug and unconcerned that their son was missing.  Plus, the camping trip after he came back and the way they wouldn't talk to her parents.  It seems like they were secure in the knowledge that their son was safely hidden, which doesn't jive with this.

Or they just didn't want to deal with publicity and were aware everything they did was going to be analyzed.

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

But what was their plan exactly?

I’m far from sure on the plan. Just expressing my disagreement that they’re not conniving enough. You don’t have to be good at it to be conniving!

I had to google, but he was home without her on the 1st. Family went camping 6th-7th.

Gabby reported missing 11th.

Laundries report they haven’t seen their son since the 14th... on the 17th.

That is NOT concern for a future daughter-in-law.  
That isn’t even a potentially successful way to avoid scrutiny.  
It is the complete opposite of setting up for a plausible defense.  
And it’s cruel AF.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m far from sure on the plan. Just expressing my disagreement that they’re not conniving enough. You don’t have to be good at it to be conniving!

I had to google, but he was home without her on the 1st. Family went camping 6th-7th.

Gabby reported missing 11th.

Laundries report they haven’t seen their son since the 14th... on the 17th.

That is NOT concern for a future daughter-in-law.  
That isn’t even a potentially successful way to avoid scrutiny.  
It is the complete opposite of setting up for a plausible defense.  
And it’s cruel AF.

Oh I agree.  Well, they weren't concerned because they knew she was dead.  I figure anyway. 

Now they say they haven't seen him since the 13th.  And not sure when they reported him missing.  I had earlier heard it was the 17th....I am pretty sure the attorney last night said they reported him missing the day he did not come home. 

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

The whole situation is so tragic.  I keep thinking, "what if things had been different?"  Like, was there one thing that set him off that resulted in all of this - what if that one thing never happened?  I just find it all very sad.  

There's never one thing that sets off domestic violence.  Literally anything that puts him in a bad mood is a reason to abuse the partner.  In this case it was likely blind rage that she was apologizing for his behavior at the restaurant.  And if not, rumor says he'd been hearing voices. So whatever set him off might have literally been all in his imagination.

The important thing is to teach kids of both genders signs of abusive and controlling relationships, as well as about personality disorders. Murders might be more frequent at the hands of abusive men, but women are abusive too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

The whole situation is so tragic.  I keep thinking, "what if things had been different?"  Like, was there one thing that set him off that resulted in all of this - what if that one thing never happened?  I just find it all very sad.  

I think it between having 911 called on them - and then the incident at the restaurant.  That was the last day Gabby's mom heard from her.  That could have been what pushed him over the edge.

I don't know if it's been mentioned - but supposition is the FBI gave them an ultimatum.  Talk - or face obstruction charges.  (and go to jail yourselves.)

eta: misleading cops is one thing, misleading (at best) federal agents is a federal offense and can easily get five years in prison.

Edited by gardenmom5

1 minute ago, Katy said:

There's never one thing that sets off domestic violence.  Literally anything that puts him in a bad mood is a reason to abuse the partner.  In this case it was likely blind rage that she was apologizing for his behavior at the restaurant.  And if not, rumor says he'd been hearing voices. So whatever set him off might have literally been all in his imagination.

The important thing is to teach kids of both genders signs of abusive and controlling relationships, as well as about personality disorders. Murders might be more frequent at the hands of abusive men, but women are abusive too.

Also teaching kids about schizophrenia.  Not saying he had it - but all of it could have been because of that.  Most schizophrenics are more of a danger to themselves than other people . . . but, there there are those who act out and can be dangerous.  (I had a family member who was the "scary" kind. and unmedicated.)

• Sad 2

On 10/12/2021 at 3:32 PM, gardenmom5 said:

She was last seen on August 27th at the restaurant kerfuffle.  A(n odd) brief text was sent from her phone to her mother that day/night referring to her grandfather by his first name. (She didn't call him by his first name, but BL did.)  There was a text sent from her phone on Aug 30? stating there was no cell service in Yosemite. . . . That has to have been a transcription error by a reporter.  Would someone at the Tetons make that kind of mistake?  Please - tell me they wouldn't.  They were in Wyoming . . . 

Her body was found on September 19th. 

That's just over three weeks.   

I'm still amazed there are people on comment threads claiming it could have been some random person. . .  thunk thunk thunk

Re: The text from her to her mother, calling her grandfather by his first name, which was Stan, I saw an explanation somewhere on social media that STAN means Send. The. Authorities. Now.

It reminds me of the recent conversation on here about old vs. young people texting and how new meanings get lost in translation between the generations.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Re: The text from her to her mother, calling her grandfather by his first name, which was Stan, I saw an explanation somewhere on social media that STAN means Send. The. Authorities. Now.

It reminds me of the recent conversation on here about old vs. young people texting and how new meanings get lost in translation between the generations.

I tend to believe he already had control of her phone and just forgot to use the language Gabby would use. 

Edited to add---I just checked and that text referencing Stan was sent on Aug 27 which is the last day Gabby was seen alive and likely he had already killed her when he sent that text to Gabby's mom. 

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2