Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

17 hours ago, Terabith said:

5014ECE3-5EE7-4615-A0F1-604170B79120.jpeg

After decades of hiking with various groups, I'm much more flexible than this black/white post. It is a great post to point out the variety of goals and expectations people have while out in nature. A lot really does depend on your companions. My current hiking companion likes to race ahead to reach a destination quickly AND look inside rotting logs - sometimes even eat the rotting logs. My companion is my border collie puppy. 😊 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

May be an image of 3 people and text that says 'Mendeleev: *invents periodic table so people won't have to memorize the elements' properties* Chistry teachers: makes the students memorize the table* Mendeleev:'

Can somebody tell me if this really is true for Chemistry classes in the United States? That they memorize the table? (Because I can tell you that nobody requires that here in Canada -- that I know of.)

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

May be an image of 3 people and text that says 'Mendeleev: *invents periodic table so people won't have to memorize the elements' properties* Chistry teachers: makes the students memorize the table* Mendeleev:'

reminds me of how my organic chem professor had us memorizing 20 something molecules, things that NO ONE else int he university taught by anyone else, ever, had to memorize. You know, cause the class wasn't hard enough. (I did not pass this class......I in fact walked out of the final when I realized I couldn't do any of it, walked across the street to student affairs, and changed my major to comparative religion)

31 minutes ago, bolt. said:

Can somebody tell me if this really is true for Chemistry classes in the United States? That they memorize the table? (Because I can tell you that nobody requires that here in Canada -- that I know of.)

I remember memorizing big chunks of it in Alberta in the early 80s. It had fewer elements then. 😉 

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Katy said:

I had to memorize it in high school chemistry in the US. There used to be a song to help...

Perhaps Tom Lehrer's The Elements.    

When my husband teaches high school Chemistry, he introduces his students to the song. He does not require that the periodic table be memorized.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Perhaps Tom Lehrer's The Elements.    

When my husband teaches high school Chemistry, he introduces his students to the song. He does not require that the periodic table be memorized.

Regards,

Kareni

Are there more elements since Lawrencium that he has to notify them of?

(I should probably know this! Don't tell him my real name, use an alias!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Katy said:

3920CA36-2602-4FAF-80DF-396DB8154094.jpeg

Everything old is new again.   The late 70s/80s have returned.  Gunne Sax were prettier. . . 
And no - I didn't keep any of mine.

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

reminds me of how my organic chem professor had us memorizing 20 something molecules, things that NO ONE else int he university taught by anyone else, ever, had to memorize. You know, cause the class wasn't hard enough. (I did not pass this class......I in fact walked out of the final when I realized I couldn't do any of it, walked across the street to student affairs, and changed my major to comparative religion)

I was working in a dr's office when dd was doing orgo.  The dr's were like "ugh, orgo".  They hated it.  (2dd was glad to be done with it - she majored in chem.)
We have a family friend who loved orgo. It was his favorite, thought it was easy . . . yeah, he's an endocrinologist.

3 hours ago, Katy said:

I had to memorize it in high school chemistry in the US. There used to be a song to help; which I can’t remember but I do remember it was part of April’s field trip in Gilmore Girls. 

There are several on youtube.
we didn't have to memorize the table  - but did have a music teacher in elementary school that taught us a song where we memorized the states.  It proved useful later on.  And I can still rattle them off in alphabetical order.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

Are there more elements since Lawrencium that he has to notify them of?

There are indeed! You can see a list here ~ https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_chemical_element_discoveries

Lawrencium is element 103; element Tennessine is element 117 and was named in 2009. Organesson, 118, was named in 2002.

I learned some new things this afternoon!

Regards,

Kareni

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bolt. said:

It was true when I was in high school in the 1980’s. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TechWife said:

It was true when I was in high school in the 1980’s. 

I believe you, but I'm still bewildered. How does that even work? Maybe you just mean that you had to know how to name the elements, given the symbol and vice-versa? Or did you memorize all the numbers, the shape/layout? Did you have to sketch it? Surely you didn't need to include the atomic weight, groupings, and all the other data?

16 minutes ago, bolt. said:

I believe you, but I'm still bewildered. How does that even work? Maybe you just mean that you had to know how to name the elements, given the symbol and vice-versa? Or did you memorize all the numbers, the shape/layout? Did you have to sketch it? Surely you didn't need to include the atomic weight, groupings, and all the other data?

All of the above, actually. We were required to “fill in the blanks” on a partially completed periodic table. As the semester went on, less information was provided and more recall was required.  By the end of the semester, very few prompts were provided. The requirement was to place the right symbols & numbers in the right places.  This is probably the primary reason I don’t care for chemistry. 

19 minutes ago, bolt. said:

I can't speak for @bolt., but when I was in high school 40 years ago I don't really remember that many details about the specifics of the chemistry questions. There was the Periodic table, some chemicals that burned with different colours of flames, and some other stuff. Somewhere buried deep in my parents basement might be all the notes I took way back then. I'm NOT going to look it up. 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TechWife said:

All of the above, actually. We were required to “fill in the blanks” on a partially completed periodic table. As the semester went on, less information was provided and more recall was required.  By the end of the semester, very few prompts were provided. The requirement was to place the right symbols & numbers in the right places.  This is probably the primary reason I don’t care for chemistry. 

I think we had similar assignments, but I wasn't very good at it.

11 hours ago, bolt. said:

We memorized it in high school. We also added a new element to the table, named after our teacher, "Geoffrium." We snuck its square onto the big table displayed on the classroom wall. It took him months and months to notice it.

Good times. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, bolt. said:

We had to learn the first 20