Menu

A humidity complaint

Carrie12345

Those who know not of humidity, 😛.  
Florida, I’m sorry.

It’s only 69*, but 100% humidity. Not raining.  
I vacuumed my living room and now I’m drenched. I refuse to do anything else physical today.

ETA: My hair is curling. I have had ruler straight hair my entire life.

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Have you heard of Wet Bulb condition?  I just heard about it for the first time last week.

"Dangerous wet bulb temperatures occur when the human body can no longer sweat to cool itself down at humidity above 95 percent and temperatures are at least 88 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the study.

At that point, even healthy people can be victimized, regardless of what state they are in.

"Even if they're in perfect health, even if they're sitting in the shade, even if they're wearing clothes that make it easy in principle to sweat, even if they have an endless supply of water," Lamont Research Professor Radley Horton of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory told Vice. "If there's enough moisture in the air, it's thermodynamically impossible to prevent the body from overheating.""

https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/environment/562165-scientists-now-racing-to-study-heat-conditions

Be thankful it's only 69F?

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Set up a dehumidifier? 

We’ve never had one! We’re usually humidifier people, given electric heaters.   
Normally I’d just run the AC, but it won’t really run when the outdoor temp is so close to the desired indoor temp!  So we’re just gross today! 

• Like 1

It's 55% humidity here, and 89 degrees. And that is feels like nothing compared to how humid it has been lately. I was walking to my car in a parking lot thinking how much less humid and sticky it is, and enjoying it.  Yesterday I walked out to move the trash can to the curb and came in soaking wet. My bathroom after a shower is less steamy than it has been here lately. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carrie12345 said:

Normally I’d just run the AC, but it won’t really run when the outdoor temp is so close to the desired indoor temp!  So we’re just gross today! 

It's worth running it. As a Floridian, I can say it makes a huge difference. (I mean, i wouldn't...I set my HEAT at 72, lol....can't wrap my head around AC below that, lol. But if you want, run it for an hour and it will help)

• Like 5

Run the ac for an hour.  Take a cold shower or go somewhere to swim. Wear less clothes. Take a nap.  

I once took my dad’s challenge to get adapted to Florida summers by not running the AC.  It took about two weeks to adjust. After which 74 degrees was so cold I’d get shivers (granted, 74F at 98% humidity and any breeze can feel cold). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Our air purifier is also great at dehumidifying. We had to run the humidifier with the air filter sometimes.

We have a "dry" setting on our AC units and run that on days like today. We're having similar weather - 70 and humid right now. Even if you don't have a dry setting, I'd just run the AC for a bit - it pulls the moisture out of the air. 

2 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

"Dangerous wet bulb temperatures occur when the human body can no longer sweat to cool itself down at humidity above 95 percent and temperatures are at least 88 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the study.

At that point, even healthy people can be victimized, regardless of what state they are in.

I am unclear on how the entire state of Louisiana is not dead.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Set up a dehumidifier? 

We have one. I hate to use it though because it puts out heat. It noticeably raises the temp of the room its in.

It definitely feels like Florida here this year. It rains every. single. day. The mosquitos are insane. But in Florida everything seems to dry out even though it rains every day. I think the soil drains better there. Everything is just constantly soggy here.

But it's definitely better than a drought!

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, popmom said:

We have one. I hate to use it though because it puts out heat. It noticeably raises the temp of the room its in.

It definitely feels like Florida here this year. It rains every. single. day. The mosquitos are insane. But in Florida everything seems to dry out even though it rains every day. I think the soil drains better there. Everything is just constantly soggy here.

But it's definitely better than a drought!

Not Orlando Airport at night.  I remember landing there at 3am in the morning and going outside and just having breathing problems because of the temp and extreme humidity.  I had just come from living in very humid Belgium but it wasn't anything like Orlando.  And yes, Orlando was much worse than when we moved to the beach community.

• Like 1

We will be going to Sarasota area near the end of Aug. for a memorial.   Typically we like the beaches there, but hearing there is red tide (somewhere along the coast).  Hoping it won't be in that area when we are there.

We thought of going to Cape Canaveral, you know, make a bit of a vacation out of our time there.  But I understand your thoughts on the humidity.  We wonder if it will be a good idea.  We are in the PNW, experiencing over 90 degree heat without rain for about the 3rd week, and things are getting parched and we are feeling it.  So now beginning to wonder if we will even have the energy to do anything with the humidity in FLA...not interested in the amusement parks, but any other suggestions, I am all ears!

18 minutes ago, ***** said:

We will be going to Sarasota area near the end of Aug. for a memorial.   Typically we like the beaches there, but hearing there is red tide (somewhere along the coast).  Hoping it won't be in that area when we are there.

We thought of going to Cape Canaveral, you know, make a bit of a vacation out of our time there.  But I understand your thoughts on the humidity.  We wonder if it will be a good idea.  We are in the PNW, experiencing over 90 degree heat without rain for about the 3rd week, and things are getting parched and we are feeling it.  So now beginning to wonder if we will even have the energy to do anything with the humidity in FLA...not interested in the amusement parks, but any other suggestions, I am all ears!

editing the whole post because it does appear there is red tide there according to the most recent map. That happened quickly! It had been mostly only a problem in Tampa Bay due to the Piney Point breach. 😞

https://myfwc.com/research/redtide/statewide/?fbclid=IwAR1JfnTcS2PXf_kL0uVmXw8yuvxbJuCxunE_uxtQ8u9fmedj0oFL55hDu2o

I get alerts from Mote everyday in my email with reports on water conditions, presence of red tide, etc. (We go to Anna Maria Island a couple of times a year, so I like to keep up)

There is also a good Facebook page called Florida Red Tide and Other Harmful Algal Blooms. Lots of ways to stay up to date on it. 

Edited by popmom

22 hours ago, plansrme said:

I am unclear on how the entire state of Louisiana is not dead.

When I lived in LA, our house was on a slab. I could sit in the house with the AC on and be doing nothing and still sweat. Ugh!

I'm back in the midwest with also high levels of humidity. It's just gross to be outside right now.