Menu

Is anyone else still waiting for their tax refund?

Amethyst

Still waiting for state refund, but owed for federal. Due to the pandemic, the IRS already had a backlog of 2019 returns when the 2020 filing season opened. Plus, they had to send all of the stimulus payments and now are gearing up to send the advanced child tax credit payments. In addition to staffing challenges due to the pandemic, the IRS budget has been reduced by 20% over the last ten years despite taking on ever more work and dealing with major tax reform. Hopefully, the proposed budget increases will pass so that they can update technology and get back to adequate staffing levels.

• Like 4

The OP and some others mailed paper returns to the I.R.S.    Much better and much faster and far safer to eFile. If, for some reason, one needs to file a paper return, it should be sent via FedEx or UPS.  I submitted my 2020 return via eFile in mid-February 2021.  It was accepted a few minutes later   I filed for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  That held up my return and millions of others, when the I.R.S. checked to see if they had paid those payments. In my case, the 2nd one, in late December 2020 or early January 2021, they had mailed a check to me and we don't receive mail sent via USPS from the USA.   I faxed a form to the I.R.S. and am praying that eventually they will Stop Payment on that check and replace it with a Direct Deposit to my bank account.  I had read about the end of May that they had approximately 18 million returns they were processing.  My refund was issued at the end of May 2021, after efiling in mid February 2021. 

• Like 2

Mailed beginning of February.  Refund deposited end of February.  We have very uncomplicated taxes.  It takes me less time to prepare using the PDF form than trying to use a program as well as our income is high enough that we do not qualify for the free e-file.  

• Like 2

Paper filed in early/mid-Feb, payment received a couple of weeks ago.  The where’s my refund tool said that they had the return, so I didn’t file another; I merely started thinking we would get a massive check the next year 😛 

• Like 2

My dad is waiting on his 2019 and 2020 fed refund.  His 2019 return had said in process (as of 4-28-21), then they sent him a letter asking him for his Schedule A that wasn't provided (I did his return), I had to send back a letter telling them he took the standard deduction so there wouldn't be a Schedule A along with the part of the instruction manual showing the standard deduction amount 😩! Now that return is no longer showing in process.

His 2020 return is in process.

His 2019 state return has said in process for a LONG time.  

Still waiting on my now deceased in-laws fed refund -- filed before they passed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Lanny said:

The OP and some others mailed paper returns to the I.R.S.    Much better and much faster and far safer to eFile. If, for some reason, one needs to file a paper return, it should be sent via FedEx or UPS.  

I’ve definitely learned my lesson. No more paper returns for us!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lanny said:

The OP and some others mailed paper returns to the I.R.S.    Much better and much faster and far safer to eFile. If, for some reason, one needs to file a paper return, it should be sent via FedEx or UPS.  I submitted my 2020 return via eFile in mid-February 2021.  It was accepted a few minutes later   I filed for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  That held up my return and millions of others, when the I.R.S. checked to see if they had paid those payments. In my case, the 2nd one, in late December 2020 or early January 2021, they had mailed a check to me and we don't receive mail sent via USPS from the USA.   I faxed a form to the I.R.S. and am praying that eventually they will Stop Payment on that check and replace it with a Direct Deposit to my bank account.  I had read about the end of May that they had approximately 18 million returns they were processing.  My refund was issued at the end of May 2021, after efiling in mid February 2021. 

I believe there have been a lot of issues with e-filing and being told their SSN was already used on another return (or something along those lines) by many people, but I know there are boardies who have had this issue.  I'll keep filing my trusty paper returns.  Normally not a problem and me, my dad, and my in-laws as we all usually receive our refunds very timely.  COVID really put them behind on the 2019 and 2020 returns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I believe there have been a lot of issues with e-filing and being told their SSN was already used on another return (or something along those lines) by many people, but I know there are boardies who have had this issue.  I'll keep filing my trusty paper returns.  Normally not a problem and me, my dad, and my in-laws as we all usually receive our refunds very timely.  COVID really put them behind on the 2019 and 2020 returns.

If someone is told that their SSN was already used on another return that would mean that they are victims of Identity theft.  One would know about that much faster, after eFiling, than after mailing a paper return to the I.R.S.

If it has to do with someone else (an ex or a parent) has used that SSN for a  Dependent, that can be sorted out, but Identity Theft is an enormous issue.

In 2019, I sent an envelope (letter size) with a one page form in it,  to a U.S. Government agency in PA, via what the post office here calls "Certified" mail. In the USA it is called "Regisered" mail.  The letter went from Colombia to Miami. After it was released from U.S. Customs in Miami, it was lost by the U.S.P.S. It ws never delivered.   It was lost forever...  Registered Mail...

If your paper return gets lost in the mail or into the wrong hands, you have confidential information that has gotten into the wrong hands.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

That can happen regardless of how the return is filed due to identity theft. E-filing as soon as possible can actually lessen your chance of identity theft and speed processing of your return, which people expecting refunds often desire. There are valid reasons for wanting to use paper returns and I’ve often done it myself in the past, but with the increase in identity theft during the pandemic, I went ahead and e-filed this year.

• Like 1