Menu

Towels for bath with grey/neutral walls?

PeterPan

I'm looking at a new assisted living for my father and they have a remodeled unit that has this kind of grey neutral color that is so popular right now. I'm just not feeling intuitive on what colors look good with this. I want to refresh his towels, get a new shower curtain, etc. and will of course need curtains in the main rooms. Any suggestions on manly color schemes you like with this? And unfortunately, once the covid mess passes, they're going to use a commercial wash for the laundry, which means the towels are going to get BLASTED and probably fade. What do you suggest? 

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 8.57.14 PM.png

I'm the last person who should ever give decorating advice, but I would go with some kind of blue maybe.  Dark/Navy blue.  Or dark grey, charcoal grey, or black even unless that would make the room too dark.  

I was typing at the same time as @Sneezyone - I like the idea of a green color, too.  If you're worried about the towels, just get white towels and add color on the shower curtain and window coverings?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Literally any color will look good.  What’s his favorite color?

I always choose white towels, so they can be bleached if necessary. 

This is the perfect answer, lol. Means I can't mess up! And you're right, I don't know his favorite color! I can ask him. I had blue on my mind. I think he just needs things fresh after a discomforting and discombobulating process. 

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Dark towels give me the heebie jeebies. 

I think I figured out part of the problem. I was looking at Kohls because they have these Hydro towels that I like for hand towels as sort of a compromise between fluffy and functional. (Our hand towels take a BEATING for some reason.) Well the colors were just not looking good to me with this grey. But I jumped over to JCP and they have towels (Liz Claiborne and Fieldcrest) that look like they'll look FINE with the grey walls. So it was the product line stumping me. 

So I'm gonna go pet towels and believe what @Katy said that I can't mess up and anything will be fine. :biggrin:

• Like 3

I love white for towels and all linens bc then every thing matches, haha.

id get mostly all white and then maybe a handful of colorful hand towels he can rotate to brighten things up.

i like turquoise with grey. Also rose with grey. And burnt orange.

• Thanks 1

My master bathroom is grey.  Everything matches it.  Which is good, because we have towels about 6 different colors floating around our house.

Plus, if your dad is like any of the guys in my house, He.won't.care. if the towels match. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

White towels would look nice and clean/fresh in that room-- then add pops of his favorite color-- or something bright/bold.

They have some nice/fun shower curtains that have scenery on them--these can add color and make the room less 'sterile' looking. I'd also add some bling to walls and coordinating (colorful to match curtain) soap pump...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

White towels would look nice and clean/fresh in that room-- then add pops of his favorite color-- or something bright/bold.

They have some nice/fun shower curtains that have scenery on them--these can add color and make the room less 'sterile' looking. I'd also add some bling to walls and coordinating (colorful to match curtain) soap pump...

Yeah, when I started googling, that's what they said, to get the color with accessories instead of the towels. 

Next I'm going to start a REALLY controversial thread...

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Literally any color.

My current gray leans blue, and items in our house tend to be red, thanks to my firefighting obsessed family. It wouldn’t be my first choice, but it doesn’t clash.

In there, I’d say whatever he likes. 

My husband just sent me this picture as an example of how he’d like to decorate the new house.

I said no.

43A48272-7F86-42C1-B977-9D8D2938E21F.jpeg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Ummm…I think the major university in your state might be a clue—scarlet towels, of course! 

All kidding aside, I am a big fan of white linens. 

I have that in a bath of mine, hehe. I did the scarlet walls and grey towels. I figured if I ever got tired of football the bath could become french country. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

My husband just sent me this picture as an example of how he’d like to decorate the new house.

I said no.

Well for real I have a bathroom that color. People LOVE it. But it's football. I think the fireman thing could totally work! Though maybe like, I don't know, a bedroom? Or a closet? Maybe a den or an accent wall in a basement?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I always go with light gray and white so that I can bleach them and not worry about color fade.

Yup, that's kinda what I'm thinking. I'm going to look for light colors, either white or that soft shade up. 

Now to do the hard work of shopping, haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I said no.

I FEEL YOU!
We will eventually have plenty of space to do something like this in our basement, but dh wants to wait a full year before finishing the basement. Which is fine. But it’s only happening in the basement!

I am all ears. Ds owns two beach towels and five bath towels. That is it. Every time we visit, we take towels with us or wash her towels a lot. Since there are three bathrooms in the new house, I think it is time to infuse the place with enough towels to not wash constantly, or worse, forget which bath had a towel in it, and which one didn't. 

So here is a photo of the half bath. It is not as green as it looks in the photo. Dd toured the house - we purchased just based on a video tour with her - and she says it is more of a robin's egg blue in person. It is small, and dark simply because the lighting is not good. We will be putting in a white cabinet in place of the maple one, and a mirror with white, distressed wood frame. What color towels should we get for that one? This bath just gets hand towels and washcloths. 

8 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

So here is a photo of the half bath.

I don't see a picture attached.

Well, the AL said white would be smart, so white it is. I even went white for the shower curtain. I decided these people are nuts saying to use crazy shower curtains to diffuse tension of using assistance. Something soft, quiet, and out of the way is much better than a giraffe brushing his teeth or these other things on the market. :biggrin:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I am all ears. Ds owns two beach towels and five bath towels. That is it. Every time we visit, we take towels with us or wash her towels a lot. Since there are three bathrooms in the new house, I think it is time to infuse the place with enough towels to not wash constantly, or worse, forget which bath had a towel in it, and which one didn't. 

So here is a photo of the half bath. It is not as green as it looks in the photo. Dd toured the house - we purchased just based on a video tour with her - and she says it is more of a robin's egg blue in person. It is small, and dark simply because the lighting is not good. We will be putting in a white cabinet in place of the maple one, and a mirror with white, distressed wood frame. What color towels should we get for that one? This bath just gets hand towels and washcloths. 

Oy, okay. Let's try this again.

22df693205b505c4ecc01eb28ed69b50l-m1519251287xd-w1020_h770_q80 (1).jpg

And it is bluer than the photo would suggest. So the maple cabinet will be replaced with white, and whatever mirror we put up will be distressed, shabby chic white. The towels you see in the photo were there when ds toured, and she said they do not go with the true wall color at all.