Menu

Does anyone throw up when they get stressed? Zofran?

Drama Llama

Please don’t quote:

I seem to have developed a lovely habit of vomiting when I am very stressed and overwhelmed.  

I have an event coming up that I expect will be stressful and where throwing up would be particularly awkward.  

Someone suggested Zofran.  Does anyone know if it works if you take it in advance?  When the problem is clearly in my brain and not my gut?

Just now, Faith-manor said:

I don't know about zofran, but when my mom went through this during my dad's court case, her doctor prescribed ativan for anxiety and that worked like a charm.

Can you unquote?

i am not willing to take a benzo for complicated reasons.  But otherwise I am sure that would work.

4 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I managed it by not eating for three or four hours before expected triggers.
But that is no help at all for unscheduled triggers.

You have my sympathies...

So fortunately my number one trigger is totally predictable.  And it’s not a bad thing it’s just triggery. If that is a word.

But I haven’t eaten before the last few times and it didn’t help. 

My dad did while he was teaching. There was infighting/backstabbing among the teachers in that school so he was stressed and anxious. He did eventually see a psychiatrist and was under medication.  Eventually he managed to transfer to another school.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I have not taken it before.  

Can you try it out the day before?  A dose?  I get dizzy and absolutely must lie down and sleep while it’s in my system.  That seems like it might not help, if you’re at an event.

If you need more random ideas... Peppermint?  Ginger?  Not sure those would help either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zofran is a serotonin-3 antagonist. There have been studies on it for use with anxiety. I’d be open to trying it but I wouldn’t try it for the first time before that event in case it makes you sleepy. (3/5 kids here totally zonk out after taking it). Constipation is also a concern. I wouldn’t make it a regular habit, iykwim. If your anxiety is at that level, I’d keep working my way through other drugs with my psych.

• Thanks 1

Would one of those pressure bands with a button on your wrist work? 

My sister, when younger got terrable car sickness. She would start vomiti g as the car was bei g driven out the driveway. Eventually my mum gave her a junket tablet just before going in the car. The theory was that it would set anything in her stomach so she couldn't bring anything up. It sort of workedasshe was still reaching but not bringing anything up. is a bit drastic though. My mum was full of wacky ideas and old wives tails 

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Thanks 1

I took Zofran during my second pregnancy due to hypermesis.  It was slightly but nothing amazingly helpful.  Zofran affects different people differently.  The only way to know for sure is to try it.  Some people get a tremendous amount of relief from Zofran.  

• Thanks 1

My DD has a chronic vomiting condition that comes and goes, definitely triggered by stress. Unfortunately, Zofran does not seem to help much and it does make her sleep all day. She has also been on and off of different anti-anxiety medications. She used to take a benzo but her psychiatrist has switched to hydroxyzine (Atarax/Vistaril). It is an antihistamine so it is sometimes used off-label as an anti-nausea medication. So that may be worth looking into!

Edited by OH_Homeschooler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

My DD has a chronic vomiting condition that comes and goes, definitely triggered by stress. Unfortunately, Zofran does not seem to help much and it does make her sleep all day. She has also been on and off of different anti-anxiety medications. She used to take a benzo but her psychiatrist has switched to hydroxyzine (Atarax/Vistaril). It is an antihistamine so it is sometimes used off-label as an anti-nausea medication. So that may be worth looking into!

Is it something you can take right before a stressful event? 

7 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Is it something you can take right before a stressful event? 

It is prescribed "as needed" so I think so. She usually requests it when she's feeling generally wound up.

Another option that is great for dealing with stress from an event (commonly performance anxiety) is beta blockers, like propranolol. That might be worth looking into. My prescription specifically says to take 30 minutes before a job interview. 

Edited by OH_Homeschooler
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Oooh could I stick one in my mask?

Ice usually works for me, especially nugget ice but this is a masked event that I need to not get thrown out of. 

I don't see why not. 

As a bonus, you mask will actually make it quite discreet I should think.

• Thanks 1

Stress is not just in your head (vs. gut), it is a physiological response to triggers, including environment, external factors, and thoughts. An acute stress event puts your nervous system into survival mode (fight, flight, or freeze) and your body literally slows or shuts down all "unnecessary" systems that are not required for immediate survival, including digestion and pre-frontal cortex (thinking brain) which is why stress causes stomach aches (or vomiting) and foggy thinking, while also raising your heart rate and pumping your body full of hormones like adrenaline and cortisol.

You can use self-applied accupressure (EFT) to dial down your stress response prior to the event so that you don't get as triggered or even triggered at all.

If you have any questions, I am more than happy to answer them. (I am an EFT practitioner).

• Thanks 1

Zofran is awesome. Highly recommend. I have an inner ear issue that occasionally leads to vertigo which leads to nausea/vomiting. Zofran has been life-changing for me. I only need it occasionally, but I now know to take it at the very first signs of nausea/vertigo. It does not make me at all sleepy. It comes in a form that dissolves under the tongue in case you are already at a point where you cannot keep anything down.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Zofran is awesome. Highly recommend. I have an inner ear issue that occasionally leads to vertigo which leads to nausea/vomiting. Zofran has been life-changing for me. I only need it occasionally, but I now know to take it at the very first signs of nausea/vertigo. It does not make me at all sleepy. It comes in a form that dissolves under the tongue in case you are already at a point where you cannot keep anything down.

I have a friend who has chronic vomiting syndrome, and he always thought zofran didn't work for him until he learned he has to take it at the very very first hint of an issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Zofran actually works in the brain; it's a serotonin blocker. It's a pretty low risk drug but it does give some people headaches, so I would probably suggest trying it before the event. Also, some people say it helps more with the vomiting than the nausea.

My vote is that it's worth a shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sassenach said:

Zofran actually works in the brain; it's a serotonin blocker. It's a pretty low risk drug but it does give some people headaches, so I would probably suggest trying it before the event. Also, some people say it helps more with the vomiting than the nausea.

My vote is that it's worth a shot.

I didn't get a chance to try it before the event, but I have some now.  I'm going to try it.  

The event should last about an hour, the parts that are most likely to trigger me are about are maybe 30 minutes into it.  Should I take it as I walk into the door?  In advance?  

On 5/12/2021 at 11:10 AM, fraidycat said:

Stress is not just in your head (vs. gut), it is a physiological response to triggers, including environment, external factors, and thoughts. An acute stress event puts your nervous system into survival mode (fight, flight, or freeze) and your body literally slows or shuts down all "unnecessary" systems that are not required for immediate survival, including digestion and pre-frontal cortex (thinking brain) which is why stress causes stomach aches (or vomiting) and foggy thinking, while also raising your heart rate and pumping your body full of hormones like adrenaline and cortisol.

You can use self-applied accupressure (EFT) to dial down your stress response prior to the event so that you don't get as triggered or even triggered at all.

If you have any questions, I am more than happy to answer them. (I am an EFT practitioner).

Can I PM you about this?