Menu

What to do with a half gallon of heavy whipping cream?

skimomma

I hate wasting food.  We are watching a friend's house while they have to spend some time in the hospital.  She asked us to take anything perishable from the fridge and either take it ourselves or toss it.  There is a recently-opened, nearly full, half gallon of organic heavy whipping cream.  I buy a half pint once in a blue moon for a dessert and really have no idea what to do with this.  Any ideas on what I can do with it?  Can I freeze it?  Or can I process it somehow and then freeze it?  We don't generally consume dairy in large quantities so it has to be something I can portion out and preserve somehow.

10 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

You can make whipped cream, dollop it onto parchment, and then freeze the dollops to use later on for hot cocoa or other dessert. 

Just make like normal?  Do you keep them on the parchment or can they be tossed in a bag once frozen?  Any thawing tips?

This is the most appealing because 2 out of 3 of us are sensitive to dairy so we really can't eat creamy soups or ice cream.  But the occasional dallop of whipped cream on pie is usually a risk worth taking.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, skimomma said:

How does one make creme fraiche?  This would also be appealing as our local stores don't carry it.

Add buttermilk to cream at about a 1 Tb buttermilk to 1 cup cream ratio. Let ripen on a countertop for 12 hrs or more (until thickened and to your preference for tang).

On my list of things to do has been to make butter from home cultured creme fraiche. 

Bill

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, skimomma said:

Just make like normal?  Do you keep them on the parchment or can they be tossed in a bag once frozen?  Any thawing tips?

This is the most appealing because 2 out of 3 of us are sensitive to dairy so we really can't eat creamy soups or ice cream.  But the occasional dallop of whipped cream on pie is usually a risk worth taking.

https://tidbits-marci.com/easy-frozen-whipped-cream-dollops/

• Like 2

I would make pudding or a big batch of hot cocoa.  I generally use about 1 cup heavy cream to 3 cups milk when I make hot cocoa so maybe you could try half and half?  Saturday it National Chocolate Mousse Day.

I love the idea of whipping it and freezing it in dollops.  I may have to try this when I need to use up heavy cream.

• Like 2

You could make butter and buttermilk with it if you'd use those faster than a cream. If it's not ultra-pasteurized, you can make clotted cream and freeze part of it in the portions you'd usually use.  Alfredo sauce is a nice dinner option that uses lots of cream.  One day this week I plan to whip some cream I need to use up along with cream cheese and put them into crepes with some fruit compote.

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

You could make butter and buttermilk with it if you'd use those faster than a cream. If it's not ultra-pasteurized, you can make clotted cream and freeze part of it in the portions you'd usually use.  Alfredo sauce is a nice dinner option that uses lots of cream.  One day this week I plan to whip some cream I need to use up along with cream cheese and put them into crepes with some fruit compote.

What do you do with the buttermilk?  Since it won't be cultured, I don't think it is useful as a levening agent.

I freeze in large ice cube trays always as we don't consume even a fraction of what we purchase before the expiry date. I only use cream for adding to cream based soups (I rarely make any dessert) and Indian curries (Palak Paneer, Malai Kofta etc).

cream can be reconstituted from frozen cubes for desserts by beating it with a whisk or a handheld stick blender.

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/can-i-freeze-cream-heavy-whipping/

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-freeze-heavy-cream-1388376

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

Quiches made with heavy cream can be frozen.

You can make whipped cream, dollop it onto parchment, and then freeze the dollops to use later on for hot cocoa or other dessert. 

This frozen whipped cream idea is brilliant!

• Like 1