Menu

Is this site really, really slow for others lately?

Innisfree

We've reported this to Tech Support, and have something of an update pinned to the Site News forum, here.  It's a known issue and will be repaired when the next update is released--but there is no stated date for that to happen.  Anyway, some people have found that using this workaround helps.  (But some have found that it doesn't...)

Slowness-to-load can sometimes be helped by Clearing Your Cache on every device you want to use to access the forums.  (In other words, if you want to use your phone and your laptop to browse the forums, clear the cache on both of them.) You can read how to do that in the Customer Help Center FAQs. I don't know why this works.  I think the little chipmunk that powers my computer must wave a magic wand or something...but it has worked for me.

If you want to send a support request with configuration information (browser, device type), and screen shots of any errors, please do so. It is a nice gesture if you include your screen name in the email.  Send your support request to support@welltrainedmind.com. The more information I/we can send to Tech Support, the more likely it is that they can replicate the experience...but to be fair, with all the different device types, browsers, device ages and OSs,  and multiple internet providers...that can still be a real challenge.  

My civilian account hasn't experienced any of these difficulties, so it helps a lot if you send screenshots and technical info so I know what you are seeing.

Thank you! 

9 minutes ago, Helpdesk said:

We've reported this to Tech Support, and have something of an update pinned to the Site News forum, here.  It's a known issue and will be repaired when the next update is released--but there is no stated date for that to happen.  Anyway, some people have found that using this workaround helps.  (But some have found that it doesn't...)

Slowness-to-load can sometimes be helped by Clearing Your Cache on every device you want to use to access the forums.  (In other words, if you want to use your phone and your laptop to browse the forums, clear the cache on both of them.) You can read how to do that in the Customer Help Center FAQs. I don't know why this works.  I think the little chipmunk that powers my computer must wave a magic wand or something...but it has worked for me.

If you want to send a support request with configuration information (browser, device type), and screen shots of any errors, please do so. It is a nice gesture if you include your screen name in the email.  Send your support request to support@welltrainedmind.com. The more information I/we can send to Tech Support, the more likely it is that they can replicate the experience...but to be fair, with all the different device types, browsers, device ages and OSs,  and multiple internet providers...that can still be a real challenge.  

My civilian account hasn't experienced any of these difficulties, so it helps a lot if you send screenshots and technical info so I know what you are seeing.

Thank you! 

Thank you for all this information! I'll see if I can clear caches and get better results.

54 minutes ago, Terabith said:

So, why is the general board different from the rest of the site?

I don't know.  :0)  I'll ask.  it might be that something slipped through the cracks in the coding and that is what will be fixed in the next release.  

Of all the iterations of this forum, and I've been here since about 2008, this latest jump has been the gitchiest for me.  Every other time I try to visit I get a "Temporarily out of Order" screen that advises me to try again later.  It also tells me that my password isn't valid, and to try again, but then if I switch to the forums I'm logged in and able to read.  My youngest graduated, so I'm only ever on Chat.  Whenever I try to go to a new topic or the next page, there is often a serious lag and I never know if I'm going to see the next page or the Out of Order screen.  I should probably take it as a sign that I should be cleaning or something, but I'm here to escape that.

KungFuPanda, the timeframe encompassed by this update has also been accompanied by three other major changes...requiring people to change passwords, clearing out unused accounts, and so on. Each of those has its own set of issues, for sure, and required some one-off tasks and experiences for forum members.  

Some people hate clearing their cache because it means they lose some "cookie connections" (I couldn't bring myself to write, "they lose their cookies") but I have found it to be a good practice--not just related to WTM, either. For one thing, it gets me back to "0" on the paywall sites that limit the number of times you have viewed their news.  🙂  I generally clear my cache, clear my browsing history once a month, on all my devices (and two of the three are pretty old, by technology standards), and reboot everything (3 devices) at least once a week.  

I have had a civilian account for 18 years over ... ummm I can't remember how many computers--both Windows and Mac--and unless the whole website has gone down, I haven't had to deal with the slowdown / non-access issues people report. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic--I'm just ignorant as to why it happens with some people and not with others. That's why I wonder if the cache/history clearing and weekly total-reboot practices have something to do with it. I don't know.  

If you want to do so, you can send screenshots and browser / device info to support@welltrainedmind.com to see if there is something Tech Support can help you with. It makes it a lot easier to help people when we know what they are using and what they are seeing.  

And I laughed right out loud at your coming here to escape cleaning. It seems that the only cleaning I am really good at is getting stuff off my computer.  Because you know, those bits really can clutter up thehouse.  😑

--Helpdesk

It has been slow for me off and on for weeks. I have cleared cache. I have an entirely new download of chrome on my desktop even (not due to WTM but I'd hoped it would help). I didn't notice any decrease in the issues whatsoever. Usually I can reload a couple of times and it will finally come up but sometimes I just give up.

8 hours ago, Helpdesk said:

KungFuPanda, the timeframe encompassed by this update has also been accompanied by three other major changes...requiring people to change passwords, clearing out unused accounts, and so on. Each of those has its own set of issues, for sure, and required some one-off tasks and experiences for forum members.  

Some people hate clearing their cache because it means they lose some "cookie connections" (I couldn't bring myself to write, "they lose their cookies") but I have found it to be a good practice--not just related to WTM, either. For one thing, it gets me back to "0" on the paywall sites that limit the number of times you have viewed their news.  🙂  I generally clear my cache, clear my browsing history once a month, on all my devices (and two of the three are pretty old, by technology standards), and reboot everything (3 devices) at least once a week.  

I have had a civilian account for 18 years over ... ummm I can't remember how many computers--both Windows and Mac--and unless the whole website has gone down, I haven't had to deal with the slowdown / non-access issues people report. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic--I'm just ignorant as to why it happens with some people and not with others. That's why I wonder if the cache/history clearing and weekly total-reboot practices have something to do with it. I don't know.  

If you want to do so, you can send screenshots and browser / device info to support@welltrainedmind.com to see if there is something Tech Support can help you with. It makes it a lot easier to help people when we know what they are using and what they are seeing.  

And I laughed right out loud at your coming here to escape cleaning. It seems that the only cleaning I am really good at is getting stuff off my computer.  Because you know, those bits really can clutter up thehouse.  😑

--Helpdesk

I look at the slow-down like I do the "Still Watching" screen on Netflix. The site is judging me for spending so much time here and I should probably do other things.  😁 I thought I cleared my history, but I can try that again. I'm sure it's not easy to keep an increasingly complicated forum updated through the years and I do appreciate that someone-who-is-not-me does it.  

This is my view lately.  Off to clear history and see if it cuts down on this roadblock . . .

Screenshot (33).png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I look at the slow-down like I do the "Still Watching" screen on Netflix. The site is judging me for spending so much time here and I should probably do other things. 

Oh, man, an "Are you still posting??" popup would be hilarious. We are always screaming, "Yes, stop judging me!" at the Netflix message. 

• Haha 1

I sent the link to this thread to Tech Support. 

@Katy Truly asking: can you tell me about your statement that it is the server? If you know something about how this works, I would be happy to get that info to the Tech Support team. I'm NOT that person (I still wonder who is feeding the chipmunk that keeps my computer running) but I truly don't understand how a server issue can affect only some users...but I am willing to learn.

1 minute ago, Helpdesk said:

I sent the link to this thread to Tech Support. 

@Katy Truly asking: can you tell me about your statement that it is the server? If you know something about how this works, I would be happy to get that info to the Tech Support team. I'm NOT that person (I still wonder who is feeding the chipmunk that keeps my computer running) but I truly don't understand how a server issue can affect only some users...but I am willing to learn.

I'm sure I can't help tech support, I have only rudimentary knowledge.  But my understanding is that servers have priorities just like cell phone switches.  When they get too busy, they cut people off.  If they are over capacity there are various ways to manage that, but one of the things that happens is slow service or crashing. I can tell you if other sites are working and you're having the same issue with one site on multiple devices, including new ones, that it's most likely the server and not you or your corrupt cache or cookie files. 

• Thanks 1

@Katy Thanks.  I will ask if this is the case with the servers.  In my civilian account, I have often had three devices logged in, but haven't encountered the slow-down or no-access problem.  Not that I want to...it's just that I don't understand it.  I also wonder about the multiple types and versions of devices, the age of the devices, internet providers and connection speeds, and allll the permutations.  It kind of hurts my head.  

Or maybe I just have a superior breed of chipmunk.  😏

I sent the info to Tech Support.  

1 minute ago, Helpdesk said:

@Katy Thanks.  I will ask if this is the case with the servers.  In my civilian account, I have often had three devices logged in, but haven't encountered the slow-down or no-access problem.  Not that I want to...it's just that I don't understand it.  I also wonder about the multiple types and versions of devices, the age of the devices, internet providers and connection speeds, and allll the permutations.  It kind of hurts my head.  

Or maybe I just have a superior breed of chipmunk.  😏

I sent the info to Tech Support.  

hahaha, well generally with issues they are regional, but obviously I don't know in this case.  Is everyone having problems from the same areas of the country? 

In the cell phone world, calls are prioritized based on the carrier, who owns the tower, how strong the connection is, and the area code of the cell phone.  IE: numbers from the Washington DC area are usually top priority for every carrier in case it involves some important government work.  If a cell phone tower is too busy, they prioritize numbers with that area code first.  Then they drop calls with weak connections, then calls from a carrier that isn't the one that owns the tower.  This is why you usually get the best service if you go with the company that owns the most towers in the places you frequent.  I believe web servers have similar priorities, but it's been 20 years since I studied it with computers, so it may have changed.

I can tell you once I was at work and an important server crashed, the IT guy said he'd done everything he knew how to to, he was waiting for a call back from his boss (who was in the Virgin Islands on vacation).  He was having this conversation right in front of my desk. I flippantly said, "Have you tried unplugging it for 30 seconds and plugging it back in?"  He hadn't, but doubted that would work.  The most senior manager at work that night demanded he try it.  It worked.

Obviously if the site isn't running their own server but is buying service from a company, they're probably over capacity in some way.  The way you best manage that is beyond my knowledge.

@Katy Ha.  The unplug it/plug it in again action still works more often than you think it should.  Every once in awhile I completely unplug my desktop and give it an overnight vacation, and do a hard-shutoff for my laptop, as well.  (I had to Google how to do that.) Maybe it is my imagination, but it seems to make things run better. We definitely have to do the unplug/replug exercise on the router about once a month.

We noticed a bit of a difference with the speed of our WiFi in different parts of the house until we got a new router and high-speed internet access. We put my work desktop on physical connection (but I really can't tell the difference vs. WiFi...). I have great service all over the house from both my phone and laptop, and can't tell the difference from the desktop's performance.  When I travel/work with my laptop, the Airbnb WiFi is slower on my laptop are often a little slower, but not enough for me to call it "slow." 

It's just weird.

Interesting on the cell towers...sometimes when my router gets confused (is the chipmunk asleep?) cell service is faster.  (shrug)

2 minutes ago, Helpdesk said:

@Katy Ha.  The unplug it/plug it in again action still works more often than you think it should.  Every once in awhile I completely unplug my desktop and give it an overnight vacation, and do a hard-shutoff for my laptop, as well.  (I had to Google how to do that.) Maybe it is my imagination, but it seems to make things run better. We definitely have to do the unplug/replug exercise on the router about once a month.

We noticed a bit of a difference with the speed of our WiFi in different parts of the house until we got a new router and high-speed internet access. We put my work desktop on physical connection (but I really can't tell the difference vs. WiFi...). I have great service all over the house from both my phone and laptop, and can't tell the difference from the desktop's performance.  When I travel/work with my laptop, the Airbnb WiFi is slower on my laptop are often a little slower, but not enough for me to call it "slow." 

It's just weird.

Interesting on the cell towers...sometimes when my router gets confused (is the chipmunk asleep?) cell service is faster.  (shrug)

Oh, the unplug it thing works, usually because software has a bug that creates a memory leak. After a while the only way to fix it is to hard stop the memory leak like that. And yes, my cell phone is sometimes faster than my home system too. Often since DH has worked mostly from home. 

My browser (Firefox on a laptop, the only way I log in) is set to clear everything every time I close it, and I still have the Temporary Server Problem message about half the time when I try to go to the Gen Ed board or Ignore This Thread (so it works best if I leave a tab open with it, and then I only have trouble at the start of a new page). The Chat board works more reliably but was slower today than usual.

I have had problems with this site for the past few months. It is s-l-o-w to load a new page. Typically, I get tired of waiting and just give up. I am always using my iPhone, so the safari app. My iPhone is an 11 and has the most up to date operating system. I also clear my cache regularly. Still super slow.