Menu

2021-2022 11th Grade Planning Thread

I've just got a few things picked out right now:

Chemistry- taught by me using Zumdahl World of Chemistry - full year

Saxon Advanced Math.   Goal is to prep for ACT/ SAT/PSAT and to be prepared for College Algebra in 12th - full year

English 3- Writing and Rhetoric Thesis book 10, Erica Meltzer English and Reading ACT Prep Books. I have no idea on literature, but probably Modern American- Great Gatsby, Book Thief, maybe Norton Anthology, etc.  This may just be 1 semester, followed by English 1 at the college- but not sure yet.  I am not planning a full year at this point, will reevaluate in October. 

History- Modern American History taught by me- Joy Hakim series books 7-10, maybe Holt Reconstruction to Present. This may be a 1 semester class, keeping space open for Gov or a DE class in Spring.

Videography and Editing- done on her own, buy access to some good editing software and let her create!

Photography- at Co-op (maybe-not sure if we are participating)

Other ideas- PE, Food Science (I has planned for this year, but haven't had time), pastry and desserts decorating?  Calling Bull $h!t - not sure if this is media, logic, rhetoric skills?  But I do plan to do it in 11th orc12th grade!

Edited by BusyMom5
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, SusanC said:

Awesome! This is actually *where* I do my planning. I'm forced to think about each subject and I want to be truthful and then voilá! But tonight I've had too much wine, I'll come back and post tomorrow. 🥂

We might have had some good fun if you had posted last night 🤣!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Dd and Ds will both be in 11th grade. They do most of the same things.

Math - Precalculus with DO I'm particularly pleased because, of her own volition this current year, dd came to me in the fall and said her Geometry class was not particularly challenging. I gave her a few choices and she decided to do Algebra 2 on top of Geometry. I'm hoping she finishes with a break before next year, but with the flexibility of the DO asynchronous class we can do whatever we need to do.

Science - Honors Physics with DO

English - Honors Literature and Composition with Mrs. Lange I don't consider myself a writer at all and I always I assumed I would outsource writing starting in Middle School, but here we are and I'm still teaching it. I want to let my dc, particularly ds, get feedback on his writing from someone besides myself.

Foreign Language - German II/French II with WTM Academy We have done SO MUCH MORE foreign language learning in our home school than I ever would have guessed! Huge, unanticipated benefit of homeschooling.

History - I'm thinking Early Modern/Modern next year. We will have finished all three of SWBs History of the ____ World books and I would like to wrap up the history cycle next year. Then in 12th I'm thinking we may do a 0.5 credit of Current Events with a couple of papers looking back at historical roots of current issues and a paper on comparing media bias on a single topic. I like to keep history discussion-heavy and casual. This year I've cut literature loose from the history cycle, I'm thinking next year I will tie in a few of our family movie nights instead.

Elective - No idea yet. This can be tricky with dc that are content to do what they are told (more or less), but don't have many driving passions of their own.

I assume there will also be time spent on standardized testing and college application stuff.

• Like 4

This one makes me a little sad. . . still planning, but not a whole lot to plan at this point since dd will be mostly DE next year...

Tentatively planning:

Physics -- Berean Builders

Math -- either Precalc with Mr. D OR College Algebra DE

Bible -- online with a local school

Everything else is DE:

Possibly: Government, Comp 1 & 2, Biology and not sure what else.

She will also continue piano and Crossfit 

• Like 2

I'm back to only one high schooler.  Weird!  I'll never have more than one again

Anyway, this is the rough plan:

AP English Language

AP Physics 1

AP Computer Science

Spanish 3

Health/PE

PreCalculus --Probably Saxon Advanced math

no idea about social studies.  Maybe this is the year to do Econ/Government???? 

• Like 3

I never thought I’d have everything outsourced. NOT how I wanted our homeschool to be, but life has taken some difficult turns and we are doing the best we can.

For my Dd:

PreCal online with WHA

Medieval and Renaissance Literature with Angelina Stanford. Also a Roy Speed Shakespeare intensive in the winter.

Argumentative Writing and Research - at our local tutorial. One semester focused on essays and one on research papers with APA and Turabian formats.

Physics at local tutorial

French 2 at the tutorial

PE - fitness at the Y (when it’s safe again) and dance. 

ACT prep

Extra curriculars: piano, AHG (Stars and Stripes project!), job at Publix or CfA, musical theater, driving practice and getting her license, church youth group 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4

I love these threads. The tentative plan is:

Math: Finish Shormann Algebra2/Geometry, then???

Science: Experience Chemistry

History: Dave Raymond's Modern History

Speech and Debate: Rhetoric 1 (Schole Academy)

English: MP or EIL literature selections

Elective: Orchestra (cello), Photography? Music Composition?

PE: Soccer and Basketball

• Like 2

I’m just now starting to take a look at next year. We will move this summer, so I’m not yet sure what DE possibilities might be at our next stop (or if my ds is even ready for that), so I’m trying to plan for a combo of online outsourced and home (much like this year). 

science—undecided, but probably physics. ***We’ve decided on Clover Creek Physics online.*** 

math—algebra 2. Will be outsourced, but again, trying to decide where. I’m scouring the threads now on this! I’m trying to figure out between Mr D/DO or possibly WHA with a teacher that seems to keep popping up named Ranier (I think)***We’ve decided on Derek Owens*** I’m still a tad nervous about this choice, but ds seems sold on it.

history—US History 

english/lit—we will tie in literature with the US history study. I have no idea what we will use for composition yet. 

And that’s all I’ve got so far. So, not much! He hasn’t had any foreign languages yet, but I’ve been planning for that to be a DE course all along, so hopefully that works out. And I’ve got nothing on electives yet. 

eta: a couple of decisions made. Woo-hoo!

Edited by mmasc
Update
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mmasc said:

I’m still new at this! When you guys say DE, is it mostly at a local community college, or something online, or ????

We do DE at a local 4-year university. They are mostly 1 semester for us, although physics will be 2.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

I’m just now starting to take a look at next year. We will move this summer, so I’m not yet sure what DE possibilities might be at our next stop (or if my ds is even ready for that), so I’m trying to plan for a combo of online outsourced and home (much like this year). 

science—undecided, but probably physics. 

math—algebra 2. Will be outsourced, but again, trying to decide where. I’m scouring the threads now on this! I’m trying to figure out between Mr D/DO or possibly WHA with a teacher that seems to keep popping up named Ranier (I think)

history—US History 

english/lit—we will tie in literature with the US history study. I have no idea what we will use for composition yet. 

And that’s all I’ve got so far. So, not much! He hasn’t had any foreign languages yet, but I’ve been planning for that to be a DE course all along, so hopefully that works out. And I’ve got nothing on electives yet. 

Algebra 2:

Eric Reini at WHA. They use Dolciani. It is a solid course, but not as deep or challenging as D.O., I think.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Algebra 2:

Eric Reini at WHA. They use Dolciani. It is a solid course, but not as deep or challenging as D.O., I think.

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

math—algebra 2. Will be outsourced, but again, trying to decide where. I’m scouring the threads now on this! I’m trying to figure out between Mr D/DO or possibly WHA with a teacher that seems to keep popping up named Ranier (I think)

I'll add that in our experience Mr. D is not as challenging as DO.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @SusanC and @ScoutTN this is helpful info. My ds probably doesn’t need ‘challenging’. I’m sure regular old Algebra 2 will be challenging enough for him. He does fine in math and doesn’t have to study much, but he got a low-ish B (83 I think?) in algebra 1 using Lial’s book. Now again, he got that low B by not studying. I’m sure if he had the desire to put in the effort of studying a bit for tests, he could’ve had a high B or even an A. But he’s happy getting Bs and keeping the effort level low 🙄 He does all of the homework, but just won’t study for tests!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

Glad of the reminder that I'm not the only one in here with "regular" students! 😂

Me too! My Dd is a good student, but not a fast worker nor an academic superstar. She is one of the loveliest people I know! 

My Ds could be a good student, but has yet to care about academic achievement. @mmascHe is definitely one who is content with a B-. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, SusanC said:

I'm curious if those DE courses are all one semester each, or are they spread over a full year?

DE course at the university or college are usually 1 semester each. I know some high schools do DE through colleges where they spread it out but this is a regular college course at the local Uni. 

• Like 1

Thank you for starting this thread.  I pitched a few ideas to Dd this morning, so she knows I'm in the planning phase - for once she didn't roll her eyes and say "let's talk about it some other time" so there's that.

AP English Lit with her delightful mentor.  A live class of one with a remarkable teacher.

Pre-calc with Mr. H at Mr D Math, she is an actual fan of this teacher.

Either AP Bio or freshman bio at our local four year LAC.  This is tricky, as this college has a brutal level of add/drop.  They allow local students to register for credit through a special, super cheap process, but local students are last on the list to get into any class.  If we wait to register her for a good online AP til she knows whether she can get into the college class, it will be too late.  I have an email in to a professor there to ask about this class filling up, so TBD...  Nope. She wrote to a number of profs who already knew they couldn't accept her even before add/drop. AP Bio next year if she still wants it.

AP Environmental Science with PAH? Next year.

APUSH at our local high school - the teacher is a friend but his students don't score very well.  This would be more like a social outlet with mandatory outside sources to study for the exam.  I'm not a fan of this idea, but she needs some social time.  Also dependent on covid.  Also a no.  This has been the biggest question - she would rather do more social justice history and less learning to the test.  I don't want her in the school even though they're masked, our exposure budget is maxed.  This might be the last homeschool class I teach!

Driver's Ed, PE, computer literacy.  Finished both last year plus .5 of a health credit. PE every year.

German 3 with Lingoda

Physics at the LAC (prof accepted her)

Dance at the LAC

Something in spring at the LAC, probably econ

I'm hoping that covid slows enough to let her spend time with her sister in Switzerland this summer and do a German intensive.  Also no.  Sister came home and they've played a ridiculous amount of colorku over tea in the mornings.

TA for PAH

Assistant handworks teacher

Show choir, one-act play in the winter

Possible extended internship from this summer wth a climate-focused non-profit

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 1

I will only have one kid to teach next year.  I have been starting to think about what to do.

Math: Algebra 2

Science: Discovering Design with Chemistry  I am considering signing him up with the online course. 

Literature: books that follow the period of history we are covering

History: World History from Roman Empire to modern times.  Not sure what we will be using.  I think I will be doing a lot of tweaking and coming up with my own stuff this time.  I would like to focus on as much outside of US history as I can, because we will cover that his senior year.

Bible/Apologetics: New Testament & Understanding the Culture by Summit Ministries

Writing: Module 2: Other Worlds by Clearwater Press, writing science fiction and fantasy, which I hope DS will enjoy at least somewhat.  We are doing the One Year Adventure Novel this year, and this is the next module.

Elective:  I still need to talk to him about this.  I am thinking Fine Arts, but not sure he wants to do that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mmasc said:

What are you using for physics @Ditto?

Not sure yet.  That is part of what I have to figure out.  If you know of a good program please share!  I make myself sick trying to pick out curriculum.   The only thing I do know is that it won't be online.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Not sure yet.  That is part of what I have to figure out.  If you know of a good program please share!  I make myself sick trying to pick out curriculum.   The only thing I do know is that it won't be online.

@mmasc

Clover Creek Physics by our boardie @MorningGlory is a good match 

http://www.clovercreekscience.com/physics/

@Ditto the textbook is a good match if you don’t want an online class. I found plenty of copies (different editions) at Half Price Bookstore 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

I've heard good things about the Georgia Public Broadcasting Physics program. We're going to use DO because I wanted honors, wanted to control the schedule, and didn't want to teach it myself.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ditto said:

I’m not sure yet either. I’m not even 100% certain that he’s even taking Physics this year. 

@Arcadia We’ve definitely been looking at clover. Thank you! I’m not sure if the presentation of the material will work with his learning style, so I’m still on the fence. I’ve heard great things though! He’s not very interested in physics, so that definitely makes the decision harder. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

We did GPB as a non-honors “physics first” course. We added labs and a regular high school physics textbook, but neither is strictly necessary. We also did a lot of the chemistry.

Did you do the "physics fundamentals" course? It looks like GPB now has a "physics in motion" course as well.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:33 AM, mmasc said:

He hasn’t had any foreign languages yet, but I’ve been planning for that to be a DE course all along, so hopefully that works out. 

DS15 wanted to start dual enrollment Japanese in Fall quarter but he didn’t get a seat so he started DE Japanese this Winter quarter. 
DS16 chose to start DE Japanese in Winter quarter last year and is now taking the 5th out of 6th class to complete two years of DE Japanese. 
DE is harder to plan for due to vacancies issues. My kids often get waitlisted. 

17 minutes ago, mmasc said:

@Arcadia We’ve definitely been looking at clover. Thank you! I’m not sure if the presentation of the material will work with his learning style, so I’m still on the fence. I’ve heard great things though! He’s not very interested in physics, so that definitely makes the decision harder. 

What does he like? More reading or more hands-on?

What is his learning style/preference? 
Which science does he like more?

1 hour ago, MamaSprout said:

We did GPB as a non-honors “physics first” course. We added labs and a regular high school physics textbook, but neither is strictly necessary. We also did a lot of the chemistry.

53 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Did you do the "physics fundamentals" course? It looks like GPB now has a "physics in motion" course as well.

I would love to know this as well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@mmasc

Clover Creek Physics by our boardie @MorningGlory is a good match 

http://www.clovercreekscience.com/physics/

@Ditto the textbook is a good match if you don’t want an online class. I found plenty of copies (different editions) at Half Price Bookstore 

I haven't look at it yet so forgive me if it is answered in the link you gave me, but can the program be completed just using the textbook?  What about tests, labs, quizes, etc?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I haven't look at it yet so forgive me if it is answered in the link you gave me, but can the program be completed just using the textbook?  What about tests, labs, quizes, etc?

This is where you can purchase teacher materials for Physics Fundamentals:  https://sellfy.com/gpb/p/brgJ/

This is the link for Physics in Motion:  https://sellfy.com/gpb/p/P4eB/   ETA: it doesn't look like it has quizzes?

Edited by cintinative
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Labs thread 

ISBN thread for textbook teacher edition, workbook, solutions manual for workbook 

Using the textbook as a course thread

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

DS15 wanted to start dual enrollment Japanese in Fall quarter but he didn’t get a seat so he started DE Japanese this Winter quarter. 
DS16 chose to start DE Japanese in Winter quarter last year and is now taking the 5th out of 6th class to complete two years of DE Japanese. 
DE is harder to plan for due to vacancies issues. My kids often get waitlisted. 

What does he like? More reading or more hands-on?

What is his learning style/preference? 
Which science does he like more?

That’s great that your dc got into Japanese classes!

My DS definitely does NOT like more reading. I think he does much better with being lectured to or presented with the material through lecture/slides. I know clover has one live class a week, but it looks like the daily messages are reading materials, along with reading the book. Obviously he’s going to have to up his game with reading texts in 11th grade, I just wish it could be with material he thought he’d like! I’d LOVE it if clover physics had daily messages through lecture/videos—then it would be an easier decision. 

2 hours ago, cintinative said:

This is where you can purchase teacher materials for Physics Fundamentals:  https://sellfy.com/gpb/p/brgJ/

This is the link for Physics in Motion:  https://sellfy.com/gpb/p/P4eB/   ETA: it doesn't look like it has quizzes?

3 hours ago, Ditto said:

I would love to know this as well. 

We used the Physics Fundamentals. There are tests, quizzes, labs, worksheets that are included with the teacher's materials (and have answers- but not solutions). There are no answers to the note taking sheets, but there really don't need to be.

This is the textbook we added (but it really was just because I liked that there were questions in the book with solutions, and my dd likes textbooks. And it was $9 at HPB).

Honestly the GVS sciences were probably the best buy of our homeschool so far. It is a little cheesy, but in the way a science teacher tends to be. We did use it younger than some people do. Dd's lab partner was a little older and preferred the Bozeman videos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

We used the Physics Fundamentals. There are tests, quizzes, labs, worksheets that are included with the teacher's materials (and have answers- but not solutions). There are no answers to the note taking sheets, but there really don't need to be.

This is the textbook we added (but it really was just because I liked that there were questions in the book with solutions, and my dd likes textbooks. And it was $9 at HPB).

Honestly the GVS sciences were probably the best buy of our homeschool so far. It is a little cheesy, but in the way a science teacher tends to be. We did use it younger than some people do. Dd's lab partner was a little older and preferred the Bozeman videos. 

Thanks! I think I will have to watch a few.  I am hoping to do physics next year with my rising 9th and 10th grader. I have Giancoli, which we would have to take slow, and I thought about adding the videos.  They don't seem to mind Bozeman (we are using them this year for Bio). I didn't even think of using those.  I will have to look at both.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to formulate THE PLAN 😁!

Math - ???  Need to figure out what comes after VideoText Geometry and Alg because it is supposed to give them a credit of Trig/Pre-Calc.  More research needed. Decided on DO PreCalc Honors (I think LOL)

LA -- As of now, Lantern English for Writing and World Literature (researching options for this)

Science - Honors Physics (source ???) Decided on DO

AP World History (Modern) - local with one of our favorite teachers w/AP exam

Spanish 3 Honors - local with another favorite teacher

The rest I'm still thinking about (formal logic ??? CAP's The Discovery of Deduction (I bought this for them to start working on), something computer related???)

They are also going to do Economics this summer to get that out of the way.

SAT Prep!!!

Hopefully adding:  year round swim (they will be vaccinated in early July), back to their in-person volunteer job at the library, and back to their in-person local classes.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 3

There is a lot up in the air right now. 

If DS manages to be awarded a flight scholarshp everything changes - the scholarships require that they are used within a very specific timeline, if so that will impact other aspects 

Math - Finish precalc/trig in fall...  Calc at the CC probably in the Spring

Science - no idea ? Maybe astronautics with DH, maybe something else ? 

History/Lit - homebrewed Renaissance/ Early Modern

Japanese - continue with his tutor and odds and ends 

Other-.probably a cybersecurity certification course, that's what hes leaning toward right now

Probably continue blacksmithing

Should finish blackbelt this year

Powered flight - definitely to PPL if he gets a scholarship ... to solo if not? Finish glider rating?  That's all up in the air 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

There is a lot up in the air right now. 

If DS manages to be awarded a flight scholarshp everything changes - the scholarships require that they are used within a very specific timeline, if so that will impact other aspects 

Math - Finish precalc/trig in fall...  Calc at the CC probably in the Spring

Science - no idea ? Maybe astronautics with DH, maybe something else ? 

History/Lit - homebrewed Renaissance/ Early Modern

Japanese - continue with his tutor and odds and ends 

Other-.probably a cybersecurity certification course, that's what hes leaning toward right now

Probably continue blacksmithing

Should finish blackbelt this year

Powered flight - definitely to PPL if he gets a scholarship ... to solo if not? Finish glider rating?  That's all up in the air 

My dd planned to apply for some flight scholarships, but she went to get the links for the references on Feb 13 and realized they had moved the application due dates up a month from last year. I suspect this might have tripped up a lot of applicants this year, so it might be less competitive. 

• Sad 1

Hooray, planning thread!!

We don't know if DS will do 11th at home. Last night we had an info session for the DE charter school (on the local CC campus, just for 11th-12th graders, with the goal of getting everybody to graduate high school with an A.A. in hand). I think he will enter the lottery for that. BUT just in case...

Math: Finish Saxon Alg 2 and continue to Advanced Math, which I plan to do over 2 years.

History/Literature: I love TWTM's approach of meshing Lit with history and we've always done it this way since starting homeschool. DD (9th grade) will do Medieval at her request. I'll probably have DS do the same, just to make things easier for me.

Science: Not sure whether he'll do science this year. We'll have to see. He needs one more lab science credit but I don't know if he knows enough math to do Physics yet. It's always so up in the air with this kiddo.

Writing: We'll just do writing across the curriculum. I don't think he's bound to be a rhetorician.

Foreign Language: He needs those 2 language credits and ASL, which we've tried and failed for 2 years running, isn't cutting it. I speak fluent Japanese, I don't think he'll love it, but I know I can teach him to a reasonable level and get him to pass with like a C.

I really hope he gets into the charter, honestly. He's not bound for 4-year college--not for now, anyway--but I would love, love, love for him to have at least the 2-year degree so he has some kind of credential to work with when job-hunting.

• Like 4

This is our tentative plan for 11th grade:

Algebra 2: The Potters School

AP English Literature: PA Homeschoolers with Maya Inspektor

AP US History: PA Homeschoolers with Susan Richman

Chemistry: The Potters School

Chinese 2 (Honors): The Potters School

Contemporary Ear Training: The Potters School

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...