Menu

What do you think about eggs and cholesterol?

Drama Llama

I know the current thinking is that eggs are a healthy choice for people with normal levels of cholesterol.  Which is a relief because my husband and kids like to eat eggs every morning.  But what I read about the elderly, or those with a history of high cholesterol is less clear.  

DH's grandfather has been losing weight.  I think grief is impacting his appetite.  He'll eat more if the food is homemade, and warm, so I've been sending over some things for him, and I'm wondering if I should include egg dishes, versions with just egg whites, or skip the eggs altogether.  

Thoughts? 

Nothing you do now is likely to change the state of his arteries much, given his age. Give him the whole eggs he likes, anything that tastes good to him or resonates or is comforting.

When my FIL passed, I used to send my ds down hungry and tell him to have grandma cook for him. That way she would eat something. She didn't even have the spunk initial too tell herself to cook, so I took her frozen individual things from Trader Joes. Your food sounds wonderful and then maybe just a little gentle company who will get him eating it.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Ellie said:

I think there's no actual scientific evidence that eating foods high in cholesterol (such as eggs) actually causes one's cholesterol to be high. I say give him all the eggs he wants.

FTR, I eat several eggs every day, and my cholesterol is fine.

What I read somewhere was that in most people if you eat more your liver makes less and it all balances out, but if you have high cholesterol, as he does, it can maybe mean your liver isn’t moderating right so eating more is bad?

But, other places I read other things. 

1 minute ago, BaseballandHockey said:

What do you consider moderation?

Losing weight is muscle, and if he's fat intake is too low it can even affect brain tissue. It's way more important just to get good calories into him and sort it out later. 

If you feel too guilty, balance it out with some nice angelfood cake, kwim?

Ok, so I'm saying that, and truth be told many older people don't digest well. Where my dad lives (assisted living) the meals are all kind of moderate. So not a 3 egg huge omelette. It's like 1 egg, some toast, juice, fruit, VARIETY. Small portions with variety. And they eat their largest meal at noon.

My dad really likes pork chops btw. I don't know if your grand FIL does, but maybe. 

• Like 2

If he has high cholesterol, is he on a med? 

I have a relative who, at a comparatively young age, got diagnosed with congestive heart failure. In that case, yeah they pulled that person super fast and hard off sodium, cholesterol, so much. Angel food cake is their super awesome treat because everything else has to be so careful.

But I think most people on meds are sorta more in the middle, right? Like find some balance. Send him two halves of deviled eggs but then send bell pepper strips and good things. Or skip the deviled eggs and send a muffin, so it's just part of an egg. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

All I know is that dh was restricted from eating eggs too much growing up due to heart disease in his family. His own dad had a heart attack at 39. Dh had high cholesterol until he started eating what I ate (because my numbers are really good) and I have eggs almost every morning. I usually do oatmeal once or twice a week but the rest of the time I have eggs, avocado toast, and fruit. Somewhere along the way his dad decided eggs weren’t bad and he started eating them again most mornings as well. He’s in his 80s now and is doing well.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

avocado toast,

Just an aside, how do you make your avocado toast? I've never had it, but I wonder if ds would like it. If I have Trader Joe's guacamole in little containers, can I spread that on? Or would that be totally wrong and gross and not right? LOL

Edited by PeterPan

32 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Just an aside, how do you make your avocado toast? I've never had it, but I wonder if ds would like it. If I have Trader Joe's guacamole in little containers, can I spread that on? Or would that be totally wrong and gross and not right? LOL

Dh and I eat toast with mashed avocado - nothing else. Ds likes his avocado mashed with salt, olive oil, and lemon juice. I’m not a fan of pre made guacamole so haven’t tried that on toast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

We butter a sliced onion bagel and grill it in a small frying pan using an iron to press it flat.
Dot with ketchup, and top with diced avocado.
Using a fork, in a small bowl mix up an egg with a pinch of salt.
After beating 10-15x, add 1Tbsp water and beat another 10-15x.
Pour egg into the same heated pan, and use a silicone spatula to push egdes into a bagel-sized round.
Pepper the egg, place a slice of thinly sliced swiss on top, then cover with a lid and turn the heat to low
Let sit for 1-2 minutes before tipping onto a half bagel
Repeat with another egg for the other bagel half.

Eggs are fine. It was shown that eating cholesterol does not impact your cholesterol levels. Some doctors still hold to the idea that eating saturated fat does increase cholesterol, but most are coming around to the idea that high cholesterol is a symptom of damage from  high blood sugar/triglycerides/blood pressure. Even my daughter's pediatrician, who is not cutting edge by any means, made sure we knew that it was processed carbohydrates that would impact her (slightly) high cholesterol, NOT natural fats. 

(the thinking on the high cholesterol being a symptom was explained to me this way - that the blood vessels are damaged by high blood sugar and then the body sends cholesterol as a band aid, basically. Removing all the bandaids in the house isn't the solution, stopping the damage and the need for them is)

• Like 3

My understanding is that cholesterol is governed mainly by genetics. I eat eggs, butter, full fat dairy, all the things that are supposed to be bad for cholesterol, and my numbers are fantastic. Like, the doc is always super impressed. 

Do you have a way to find out his health profile? I know doctors can't just give out information to random people, but is someone in the family in a position to get that information?  Does he take medications for anything?

If he is very elderly, getting nourishment into him is probably most important. 

9 hours ago, Ellie said:

I think there's no actual scientific evidence that eating foods high in cholesterol (such as eggs) actually causes one's cholesterol to be high. I say give him all the eggs he wants.

FTR, I eat several eggs every day, and my cholesterol is fine.

Same, my bariatric doctor was complaining that my cholesterol is so much better than his, lol. And I eat 1-2 eggs almost every day, and use full fat half and half in my 2 cups of coffee a day, and only use full fat cheese when I eat it. 

The only times my cholesterol went up were when I was eating lots of processed carbohydrates (crackers, chips, etc). DH also finds that sugar/carbs increase his triglycerides/cholesterol. 

That aside, as others said, saturated fats are important for brain health, and protein is important for retaining muscle mass in the elderly. Give him the eggs!

• Like 1

It's so sweet of you to send over some yummy food. His appetite is down and he's losing weight. I would fix things I know he loves and see if it starts to improve. I wouldn't worry about a special diet. Seniors also eat better with company. It's a difficult time. Hugs

• Like 2

Agreeing with the pp, that blood sugar has way more effect on cholesterol than dietary fat or cholesterol. 

Also, high cholesterol does not necessarily mean coronary artery plaque. My cholesterol is high and I recently had several tests to check my coronary arteries. I got a great score on the tests and have no arterial blockage at all. 

9 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Nothing you do now is likely to change the state of his arteries much, given his age. Give him the whole eggs he likes, anything that tastes good to him or resonates or is comforting.

When my FIL passed, I used to send my ds down hungry and tell him to have grandma cook for him. That way she would eat something. She didn't even have the spunk initial too tell herself to cook, so I took her frozen individual things from Trader Joes. Your food sounds wonderful and then maybe just a little gentle company who will get him eating it.

We use that strategy a lot.   My FIL sits with him for breakfast.  My kids are over at their house every weekday after, and my oldest makes lunch for everyone, and then a few hours later a snack, and he sits with the kids (my 2, and my 3 nieces) and they all eat together.   And then most evenings either he comes to our house and eats with us, or we go there.  So, he's not eating alone.  

• Like 3

If he has high cholesterol, is he on a med? 

I have a relative who, at a comparatively young age, got diagnosed with congestive heart failure. In that case, yeah they pulled that person super fast and hard off sodium, cholesterol, so much. Angel food cake is their super awesome treat because everything else has to be so careful.

But I think most people on meds are sorta more in the middle, right? Like find some balance. Send him two halves of deviled eggs but then send bell pepper strips and good things. Or skip the deviled eggs and send a muffin, so it's just part of an egg. 

He is on meds for blood pressure and cholesterol.  I think his numbers are not bad for 90.  He is suddenly seeming a lot older, but that's in comparison to where he was before.  When I think about other 90 year olds I know, he's doing pretty well.  

Agree with pp on both "fix him whatever registers to him as comfort food" and also "try to orchestrate so he's got someone with him when he's eating."  Both of which it sounds like you are, collectively as a family, doing.

I've had modest success in two different contexts trying support weight gain (a chronically underweight kid, a parent with cancer) leaving small bowls of nuts near them, unasked for and unannounced, so they absentmindedly take handfuls of them.  This worked better with the kid, who'd reach for them unthinkingly while doing homework, than the adult.

With my father, after some experimentation we found a chocolate protein shake he'd eat as an afternoon snack (he couldn't finish it in the morning, so later in the day worked better). We also mixed in powdered protein into anything we could -- mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, soups, anything soft enough.

Hugs.

How did he used to eat *before* this?

For the past 6 or so years, he's either eaten dinner with us almost every weeknight.   About half the time he cooked, and about half the time I cooked.  If I was at the hospital, he was the one making dinner for my kids and sitting with them.  

He is a really good cook, and it was a huge blessing to me to know that my kids had hot homemade food with lots of healthy ingredients every day even when I couldn't be there.  It's important to me that what I serve him is as healthy and comforting as what he fed my boys.  

We're trying to incorporate a lot of his favorite recipes.  He helps us plan the meals, and he and I or he and my boys often cook together.  

I think I'm going to kind of split the difference on eggs.  We do an egg based lunch or dinner like shakshouka, chilaquiles, omelettes, or frittatas at least a couple times a week, and we'll keep serving those, but I'll send other things for breakfast.  

I agree with feeding him what he wants.  It's just hard because I'm not there at breakfast, and he is as overprotective of me as I am of him, so he's not going to complain about my food.  He's going to tell me it's delicious.  

For dinner, I can watch and see.  If he eats something with gusto then I can serve it more often.  If he eats less, then I can take it off the menu.  For lunch, my kids will tell me.   But I could send him cardboard for breakfast, and he'd call me up and tell me thank you, it was the most delicious cardboard, he has never had such tasty cardboard, but please stop sending him breakfast because he wants me to get more sleep, and he's fine.  So fine.  Why am I worried about him?  It's too much work.   Did he mention that he's fine?  Very fine.  

• Like 2

In addition to agreeing to giving him whatever he wants to eat, I believe there is evidence that free range chicken eggs are higher in the good nutrients, lower in concerning stuff.  Will try to find a source for that, but there is definitely new understanding that eggs do not affect serum cholesterol.