Menu

Stomach pain... again

Soror

I had some issues- pain, nausea, etc several weeks back for about a week. It slowly subsided. ETA This was Nov 18th

Then on Dec12 I developed petechiae for 3 days then had horrible crushing fatigue and then stomach issues again. Not so much pain but nausea, appetite really off (sometimes high and low). Sometimes I'd feel better to eat and sometimes I didn't want to eat at all.

My appetite slowly returned to normalish (still felt a little wonky but not too bad).

Then yesterday it came back again. Nausea. Stomach just feels off. I don't know how to describe it I just felt incredibly ill, like there is something seriously wrong but I can't identify it (I felt the same the week of the crushing fatigue which is why I finally went to the dr). Fatigue also yesterday. Some pain in the middle of the stomach, by the ribs and then now this am it feels more on the right side and a bit sharper (still not severe but more pronounced) but still up high (hard to pinpoint and I'm shortwaisted). Some lower back pain but period is  also due in a few days. 

Dec 16th I went to the dr. He ran a bunch of tests. Said I had some crystals in urine and liver enzymes high. Ultrasound on Tuesday, showed everything fine except non-alcoholic fatty liver. Considering the lack of risk factors seems the NAFLD is related to my thyroid which is also currently low. Dr thinks that the liver is causing the upset stomach and the fatigue is from the thyroid. I feel like there must be something else. Tons of people have fatty liver and none I've talked to have similar stomach issues.

My gall bladder was tender during the ultrasound but showed as normal. 

I'm strongly, strongly considering going to the urgent care. I feel like something is wrong and very tired of not feeling well.

Hope this is coherent I am having horrible insomnia in the midst of this - whether that is hormonal, thyroid, or whatever IDK but I can't sleep well which makes it hard to think.

Edited by Soror
  • Sad 8

That is so frustrating not being able to find the cause and fix the symptoms. I don't have any more suggestions other than stomach pain can be caused by stress, especially if nothing else physical seems to be the problem, There are some really good apps you can get to help with breathing, meditation, mindfulness and sleep helps. My friend uses Let's Meditate. I haven't needed it yet for myself, but it's on my phone for when my symptoms return. I went through similar stuff that you're experiencing last year. 

I really hope you feel better very soon. 

I agree it sounds like something isn't right. Since it keeps coming back, while you are continuing to push for answers, I'd be keeping a food & activity diary -- including if you change anything (soap, cleaning supply, new clothing, etc) so you can pinpoint or eliminate those as possible triggers for your illness.

Hugs. I hope you feel better and figure it out.

• Like 2

My gallbladder got crazy when I was pregnant with ds and I ended up vomiting, etc. 

Are they making tracks to get your thyroid up? And is it a natural dessicated thyroid product? The liver converts T4 to T3, so yes liver issues could cause you to feel sluggish.

Have you been eating a lot of junk over the holidays or doing anything abnormal? Maybe take a probiotic, warm tea, and rest?

• Like 1

See if you can get an abdominal CT scan.  It will show more.  Last year when I was in severe pain I had an ultrasound of my kidney, which showed nothing. Later, an abdominal CT scan showed a uretal stricture that wasn't allowing my kidney to drain.

Definitely keep pursuing until you find the source of your pain. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm wondering if you have a bleeding ulcer. Would cause pain and nausea and the blood loss (and lack of eating) would cause fatigue. 

good point. I forgot they can bleed. When my dd had H. Pylori, she had gastritis that would come and go, but I don't think it progressed to an ulcer. 

@Soror I hope you get some relief.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

That was less than helpful.

She said my symptoms are not gallbladder and didn't/wouldn't test anything related to that.

Tested for H Pylori, negative.

Retested liver enzymes, only 1 was elevated and just barely over range.

She said pancreas labs look good.

Is referring me to the gastro. Gave me a scrip for Pepcid and nausea meds. 

• Sad 2

Sorry you don't have answers.

Do not rule out gallbladder. Gb would cause right upper quadrant pain, high under the ribs. Can radiate to the middle. If there are no stones, it may not show up on the ultrasound. Ask the gastro for a HIDA scan which tests gallbladder function. (No u/s over all the years ever showed anything with mine, but the HIDA revealed that my gb was shot, and I finally had it out.)

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I hope you get an appointment with the gastro quickly and get answers.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Do not rule out gallbladder. Gb would cause right upper quadrant pain, high under the ribs. Can radiate to the middle. If there are no stones, it may not show up on the ultrasound. Ask the gastro for a HIDA scan which tests gallbladder function. (No u/s over all the years ever showed anything with mine, but the HIDA revealed that my gb was shot, and I finally had it out.)

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I hope you get an appointment with the gastro quickly and get answers.

Thank you! That is exactly where my pain has been but she totally blew me off that it could possibly be gallbladder. I mentioned the HIDA as someone here had mentioned but she blew that off, saying that was very far down the list of possible answers and my symptoms don't match gallbladder issues. I'm so done with dr's right now I want to scream, if I had the energy. I had chills a few times today, completely forgot to mention that. I had a bit of energy Sunday to do some house cleaning and that was the last of it. Been in bed most of the time since then. 

Have you had Covid? Elevated liver enzymes, pain in the upper area of the GI tract, nausea, loss of appetite and diarrhea can all be symptoms of the gastro version of Covid. You don’t need to experience all of the symptoms. Also, it tends to linger and wax and wane.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/04/stomach-complaints-common-in-covid-19-patients.html

Gastrointestinal symptoms were reported by 31.9% of the patients. The majority of that group described the symptoms as mild. Twenty-two percent said they experienced loss of appetite, 22% had nausea and vomiting, and 12% had diarrhea, the study said.

“We also noticed that 40% of patients had elevated levels of an abnormal liver enzyme, and that those with high levels required more hospitalization,” Cholankeril said.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BeachGal said:

Have you had Covid? Elevated liver enzymes, pain in the upper area of the GI tract, nausea, loss of appetite and diarrhea can all be symptoms of the gastro version of Covid. You don’t need to experience all of the symptoms. Also, it tends to linger and wax and wane.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/04/stomach-complaints-common-in-covid-19-patients.html

Gastrointestinal symptoms were reported by 31.9% of the patients. The majority of that group described the symptoms as mild. Twenty-two percent said they experienced loss of appetite, 22% had nausea and vomiting, and 12% had diarrhea, the study said.

“We also noticed that 40% of patients had elevated levels of an abnormal liver enzyme, and that those with high levels required more hospitalization,” Cholankeril said.

I'm not aware of having it but planned to give blood in a couple of weeks to check antibody levels.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soror said:

I'm not aware of having it but planned to give blood in a couple of weeks to check antibody levels.

I’ve been lurking on boards for people who have Covid and your symptoms are not all that unusual. Gallbladder, pancreas, kidney, gut lining can all be infected. I don't know how good a nasal swab would be but i have read that some with gastro symptoms only have had positive nasal swabs.

Rest as much as you can. Not eating might actually be good, too, since you'd be resting your gut and digestive organs, especially your liver.

As I started reading your post, I also was wondering if you might have fatty liver. Dr. Berg has lots of videos explaining what the liver does and the physiology behind fatty liver. His videos are always short and informative. Here’s one explaining the function of the liver and some of the probable symptoms of NAFLD. 

Here’s another that might explain the rash. (Fasting?)  https://youtu.be/cKLmorBIOVE

And one more, but there are even more than this if you do a search for him and the liver.  https://youtu.be/vZRWkboolT4

Hope you get some answers and start feeling well again soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, regentrude said:

My story too. I had mine out last month after 13+ years of issues. Multiple normal ultrasounds over the years. Finally had a HIDA scan that showed a reduced ejection fraction which satisfied the surgeon and the insurance company.  I had an appendectomy at the same time because the years of inflammation caused problems with my appendix too. And I had no stones, no sand, no sludge per my pathology report. But the gallbladder itself  showed signs of chronic inflammation and my surgeon had to work his way through a bunch of inflammatory tissue around my hepatic artery to get the gallbladder out. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

My story too. I had mine out last month after 13+ years of issues. Multiple normal ultrasounds over the years. Finally had a HIDA scan that showed a reduced ejection fraction which satisfied the surgeon and the insurance company.  I had an appendectomy at the same time because the years of inflammation caused problems with my appendix too. And I had no stones, no sand, no sludge per my pathology report. But the gallbladder itself  showed signs of chronic inflammation and my surgeon had to work his way through a bunch of inflammatory tissue around my hepatic artery to get the gallbladder out. 

Nice, did you send all the dr's that dismissed you the reports after surgery? Considering how prevalent gallbladder issues are in women I don't understand their reluctance to test it. 

A relative was in the hospital for days throwing up, sick as a dog, they continued refusing to test her gall bladder. When they finally did it was bad and she had surgery, viola she felt better. 

I have a phone consultation with my thyroid dr on Wed, it is of course impossible to tell how much fatigue is due to my thyroid. I'm very ready for a med increase to see how much better that makes me feel. I wonder if he could order a HIDA scan? He generally listens to me.

I'm modifying my diet to see if I do see a connection between fat intake and stomach pain. I generally eat moderate fat diet, but there have been indulgences around the holidays. I will be aiming for a lower fat Mediterrean diet as that is what I've seen recommended the most.

I am going to give blood in a couple of weeks to test for antibodies for Covid.

I'm not anxious to go to the gastro until I do those things as my faith that they will listen to me is little and it will be thousands of dollars if they do all the tests the dr at urgent care thinks they should do.

I slept nearly 7 hrs last night and my stomach is feeling ok this morning, we'll see how today goes.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 8