Menu

Comforter that doesn't make noise

Kanin

My bedding is driving me crazy! It's cold in our room so we have four blankets that are all heavy, so it's like being flattened under them each time I go to bed. I'd like to get a lighter weight comforter to replace a couple of the blankets. My only hesitation is that I always buy bedding thinking it's going to be great, and then I don't like it. It drives DH up a wall, but I can't help it, I'm particular about bedding! My especial pet peeve is comforters that make noise... like fabric that is swishy when you roll over (I'm probably not describing this well). Anyone have a nice quiet comforter that they really like?

I use fleece blankets which are quiet but the traditional comforters I've had always had a bit of a crinkle sound.  This summer I switched to a comforter and duvet for laundry reasons but I have to say I'm surprised how much more soft, warm and quiet this is than the traditional set up.  I've been really happy with them.

These are what I had purchased.

AmazonSmile: Soft Smooth King Size Comforter All Seasons 2000 Series Luxury Light weight Quilted Down Alternative Summer Breathable Comforters Duvet With 8 Corner Tabs 3D Filling Hotel (Dark Grey, King (90"x102")): Kitchen & Dining

AmazonSmile: Madison Park - MP12-7133 Walter Duvet Set, Seersucker Print, Luxe All Season Comforter Cover Bed Set with Matching Shams, King/Cal King(104"x92"), Navy 3 Piece: Home & Kitchen

ETA:  the comforter was nice enough, I'm not sure you would even need the duvet cover.  It was really soft too but the color didn't work for my room.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1

All the comforters I’ve had with down filling or down-alternative filling made swishy noises. 

You could get a decorative comforter filled with polyester batting. Those are quiet, but not warm. 

When I was first married we lived in a house with a really cold bedroom. I bought a heated mattress pad, a wool blanket to put under the comforter, and flannel sheets. It was so warm many nights we’d turn the mattress pad off 15 minutes after we got in bed. 

• Like 2

I can’t tolerate noisy blankets, either.  I use flannel sheets, a fleece blanket, and a cotton quilt.  If I’m really cold I add a second quilt.  Almost all of our quilts were made by my dad, but we also have a quilted bedspread I bought at TJMaxx years ago that I like.  Except for the fleece I always stick with natural fibers; things with microfiber and polyester are so annoyingly noisy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kanin said:

My especial pet peeve is comforters that make noise... like fabric that is swishy when you roll over (I'm probably not describing this well). Anyone have a nice quiet comforter that they really like?

First of all, I completely understand!

We have a comforter from The Company Store that doesn't make noise. https://www.thecompanystore.com/lacrosse-loftaire-down-alternative-comforter/C3J5.html

• Like 1

We have the quietest bed ever since we moved!  We have a heated mattress pad, a traditional blanket, and a traditional bedspread (fairly thick).  They are all just cloth fabric -- no inserts, so filling, no swooshiness.  I never thought I'd be warm enough with just that (we always had down comforters before this).  But this has worked out so well and kept us plenty of warm.  And like I said, it's super quiet!

• Like 1

Down comforters do not make noise.  If you have a "down" comforter that's making noise - it is NOT down.  (I stayed at a B&B that advertised their "down" comforters.  It was heavy, "crunchy", and mostly feathers.   I hated it, and was annoyed at the false advertising..)

Costco has a good deal on down comforters - generally around 650 fill power.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Down comforters do not make noise.  If you have a "down" comforter that's making noise - it is NOT down.  (I stayed at a B&B that advertised their "down" comforters.  It was heavy, "crunchy", and mostly feathers.   I hated it, and was annoyed at the false advertising..)

It could be that it's actually the duvet cover, not the comforter itself, that's making the noise.  We had a nice down comforter but I think our duvet cover was stiff and noisy!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The IKEA one is noisy. My kids are amused and my husband says it feels like a weighted blanket. It isn’t warm enough for me.

Our old down alternative comforter was so worn out that it’s quiet. 

My teens use two fleece blankets. 

even the most expensive IKEA line of "feather" comforters - has a minimum of 25% duck feathers. (DUCK!!!! I guarantee it's NOT an Eider Duck!), and only uses duck down.  Most duck down doesn't have as much FP as goose, so  the same volume won't be as warm.

There's a reason they don't give "fill power" anywhere for their "feather" comforters.  (they don't even meet the standards for 550 FP - which is usually the lowest that gets labeled.)   feathers weigh considerably more by volume than down, and they don't have loft.  It's the loft that gives warmth.  feathers aren't particularly warm - birds use outer feathers for waterproofing - not warmth.

• Like 2

Flannel sheets feel warm as soon as you touch them, and hold heat well, so they are really helpful for cold rooms.

I have a thick fleece blanket from Costco—similar to a thermal blanket it is extremely warm when covered with something else, and not nearly as warm on its own, so it’s quite versatile.  When it’s cold I put a light quilt over it, and when it’s warmer I used it by itself.  I like the feeling of weight when I’m sleeping and my only complaint about it is that it’s too lightweight, so it might be perfect for you!  I suggest looking for a quilt instead of a comforter—they are much quieter, albeit not as warm, and then maybe using two of the fleece blankets underneath if necessary.

• Like 1

Thank you so much, everyone! I can't wait to research some of these ideas. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with an aversion to swishy fabric on beds!

Also... I figured out the word I was looking for: rustles! Not sure why I couldn't pull that one up.  

13 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

It isn’t the down that makes noise, it’s the percale sheeting sewn around the down. 

ETA: crunchy sounds = feathers not down. Swishy sounds = swishy percale outer layer. 

Edited by Katy

Some people might be wary about buying silk comforters because you used to have to buy them in in Asia and bring them back with you.

Costco carries one here: https://www.costco.com/smartsilk-silk-filled-comforter.product.100511792.html

and here: https://www.costco.com/silk-haven-all-natural-silk-filled%2C-hand-made-comforter-.product.100241293.html

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, DuvalChick said:

I’m late to the party but since I’ve been doing research on this exact topic (noisy down comforters) I feel compelled to comment.

It’s not true that if your comforter makes noise, then it’s not down. The noise isn’t caused by the comforter’s filling at all, regardless of if the filling is down or a down-alternative. The noise is caused by the how tightly woven the cotton is, so even the highest quality comforters may sound crinkly.

This can be reduced by using a duvet cover or just by normal use over time. I happen to like the noise and recently returned a comforter bc it didn’t make the crinkle sound. 😊

This is funny because although it's an old thread, I'm still searching for the perfect bedding! LOL. It's my life's work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DuvalChick said:

I’m late to the party but since I’ve been doing research on this exact topic (noisy down comforters) I feel compelled to comment.

It’s not true that if your comforter makes noise, then it’s not down. The noise isn’t caused by the comforter’s filling at all, regardless of if the filling is down or a down-alternative. The noise is caused by the how tightly woven the cotton is, so even the highest quality comforters may sound crinkly.

This can be reduced by using a duvet cover or just by normal use over time. I happen to like the noise and recently returned a comforter bc it didn’t make the crinkle sound. 😊

I know you're new - I worked in a high end bedding store with a bunch of different types of better quality comforters.  I have a variety of costco to better quality down comforters that make zero noise.  (and they're machine washable - just make absolutely sure they're dry)

loft, fabric - the tightness of the weave is what keeps the down working it's way out, etc. are things you have to look at.   not ounces of fill.  A 30oz comforter of 350 fp comforter is NOT going to be as warm as a 20 oz comforter of 700 fp down.  or as light, or as quiet.
I've encountered low loft "down" comforters from places like Ikea and other "discount" retailers that had a lot of feathers (as opposed to down).  Yes they are hard, they are heavy, they do not bend - and they make crunchy sounds.

oh - and if it doesn't say what the FP is (there are legal requirements). . . . it's feathers, not down and a waste of money.

Edited by gardenmom5

I always buy heavyweight tapestry kinds of comforters with batting inside that is stitched in place. I like the weight, the batting doesn't move around so it doesn't make any noise and without a blanket between the sheet and comforter it is not too warm but it you want more warmth you can add a blanket. I have always used these type comforters so at first I was totally perplexed by the noise question. 

5 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

I always buy heavyweight tapestry kinds of comforters with batting inside that is stitched in place. I like the weight, the batting doesn't move around so it doesn't make any noise and without a blanket between the sheet and comforter it is not too warm but it you want more warmth you can add a blanket. I have always used these type comforters so at first I was totally perplexed by the noise question. 

Yes, me too, when I was growing up. I'm back to them now. I guess I just had an image in my mind of a bed with a nice fluffy comforter. I now realize... this is just not me!

I'm thinking of sewing two of these blankets together with some batting inside. They're the perfect summer blankets!!

https://underthecanopy.com/products/organic-cotton-matelasse-blanket-glacier-green

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kanin said:

Yes, me too, when I was growing up. I'm back to them now. I guess I just had an image in my mind of a bed with a nice fluffy comforter. I now realize... this is just not me!

I'm thinking of sewing two of these blankets together with some batting inside. They're the perfect summer blankets!!

https://underthecanopy.com/products/organic-cotton-matelasse-blanket-glacier-green

Yeah, I like those even by themselves.

• Like 2