Menu

Ok, I'm just gonna ask, and it's not about math.

PeterPan

You know how there's "math" by hand and there's "math" by calculator/technology... and both ways you get to the same place, just one is faster than the other... And some people get really GOOD at "math" by hand but have never tried "math" by calculator/technology. You're with me, right?

Then is there an advantage to bringing in that technology? Is it only *faster* or is it actually *better*? How much better? Definitely better?

:blush:

Are we discussing TEA?  In that case I think a um, calculator could help one learn to brew multiple pots in quick succession, which is very difficult by hand.

ETA:  And oh yes, it's definitely better.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh my god, we really *are* revisiting all the old threads! Lol! 

The last time this question was asked (that I know of), one poster was absolutely amazed to learn that there were people who really and truly only did the math by hand. She thought there was really no way to expect answers before the sun went down if you didn’t use the technology. 

IME, it could be literally better, not merely more efficient. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You know how there's "math" by hand and there's "math" by calculator/technology... and both ways you get to the same place, just one is faster than the other... And some people get really GOOD at "math" by hand but have never tried "math" by calculator/technology. You're with me, right?

Then is there an advantage to bringing in that technology? Is it only *faster* or is it actually *better*? How much better? Definitely better?

:blush:

Forget math, your avatar makes it look like you've been beheaded. 

Oh dear.

I lost my head..over math.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

10 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I can't imagine doing math with anything other than my accountant doing the calculations himself, by hand. It's the old fashioned way 😉

Now I’m really hoping your dh is an accountant...

• Haha 9

2 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

Oh, noooo I’m so slow.....

I was totally seriously thinking about technology and mathematics 😔😳

I mean, the answer is basically the same. "Every student is different. Use the method that works best for this particular student." 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

I find calculators only marginally more efficient, and less satisfying.

And they're EXPENSIVE! I mean, if we were talking $28, I'd be like oh yeah try a calculator. But some of these are $145! 

35 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I can't imagine doing math with anything other than my accountant doing the calculations himself, by hand. It's the old fashioned way 😉

You know, that is just an additional thing, the whole do you do the math with the accountant with the calculator, who uses the calculator... 

Honestly, I'm really slow at math and my accountant falls asleep. But I like the math to get done, one way or another. 

I just don't know if I want my accountant to use a calculator, even if he is not very good at math by hand. 

So I guess that's an additional question: Do you like your accountant to use the calculator?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

calculator could help one learn to brew multiple pots in quick succession

Ok, I'm trying to ponder this. I'm kinda slow at my math and that sounds like it might be fatal, so much math, lol. 

Does your accountant help you with so much math, or is this by yourself? Or does it really not matter?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

I think a good  calculator is definitely better.

How do you know a good calculator? Usually I go by amazon reviews. The ones that look good there are reviewing lower on calculator review sites. 

Are your calculators noisy? What are parameters that make them good? 

1 hour ago, Quill said:

one poster was absolutely amazed to learn that there were people who really and truly only did the math by hand.

Ok, so honestly? I was raised in a tradition that said math by hand was a sin. And there were no calculators. Which I assume means very few women ever made it to the moon. 

I guess you could say it's math in secret, not math in the open? Some kinds of math are ok and others are not? And trying to figure out what it means to be a mathematician or accountant vs. a bookie? 

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Forget math, your avatar makes it look like you've been beheaded. 

Oh dear.

I lost my head..over math.

Bill

I apologize for losing my head over the topic. I can't seem to get into my settings right now to find it. Board is glitchy. But, you know, probably better that way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Quiet calculators = much preferred. I, personally, would never, ever, no way order calculators from Amazon because all my kids use my account and that’s not a browsing history I want anyone to see. I have only purchased from companies that specialize in such technology and none of that has been recent, so no I can’t recommend and I’m for sure not linking that anyway.

Also - of course we are firmly into “whatever floats your boat” territory, but if I’m going the calculator route and my accountant is present for the calculating, I do not want him to use the calculator. I just want to use my own equations and get the job accomplished. The reason I would be using the calculator is because the math didn’t get figured up all in the, um, order we would be preferring but I’m not leaving my problems unsolved because of the order issue. Hence, bring in the calculator so everybody’s problems get solved before we close up the books. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

I can't believe I'm weighing in on this...

I suppose with Christmas coming we can treat ourselves to calculators.

The only question is whether our accountants will also use them. Maybe they'd like it? I have no clue. I'd ask @Spy Car but that's probably over the line. But since it's only math...

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, so honestly? I was raised in a tradition that said math by hand was a sin. And there were no calculators. Which I assume means very few women ever made it to the moon. 

I guess you could say it's math in secret, not math in the open? Some kinds of math are ok and others are not? And trying to figure out what it means to be a mathematician or accountant vs. a bookie? 

But is your resident accountant also of the mind that there can be no calculators and no solo figuring of textbooks? Or is this partner open to or suggesting that as an option? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quill said:

I’m not leaving my problems unsolved because of the order issue.

If your accountant doesn't do it because of order of operations (yes, frequent), then do you finish your math *there* or somewhere else? Does your account help you with the math or just roll over and go to sleep? Is it weird to do math like that?

1 minute ago, Quill said:

But is your resident accountant also of the mind that there can be no calculators and no solo figuring of textbooks? Or is this partner open to or suggesting that as an option? 

Some accountants are really introverted and not so hot about talking about their math.

13 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If your accountant doesn't do it because of order of operations (yes, frequent), then do you finish your math *there* or somewhere else? Does your account help you with the math or just roll over and go to sleep? Is it weird to do math like that?

We’re both firm believers in everybody getting all the figures sorted before the books are closed up. 

ETA: on the overshare. The OP saw it, so it’s all good. 

Edited by Quill
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Some accountants are really introverted and not so hot about talking about their math.

Well, yeah...I guess you could have that. We didn’t start with the same ideas around this topic as you’re starting from so I’m not sure how I would address it now, but you know, we all have a reasonable expectation of having the math problems solved and, after all, together is generally nicer than solo by comparison, I mean, so long as the option exists. If it were myself I think I would just say, “I think if we had one of those nice calculators I have heard of, this could be a more satisfying experience all around, so can we explore that idea?” 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I suppose with Christmas coming we can treat ourselves to calculators.

The only question is whether our accountants will also use them. Maybe they'd like it? I have no clue. I'd ask @Spy Car but that's probably over the line. But since it's only math...

Get an TI Nspire CXII CAS.

They are very expensive (tax write-off in some circles) and it will do problems you don't even know you don't know how to do. And in color.

Forget all that Miquon stuff. Progressive education. Pffft. I have more time to goof off on the internet since I "gifted" my kid (thanks American tax payers!) an Nspire. Win win!

Bill 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Quill said:

Well, there you go, @PeterPan. Spy Car has given you is opinion on the legit, best calculator. But it is expensive, he says. And it might not be exactly what you have in mind. 

If one desires reverse polish notation there some options from HP or the 42 App for iPhone (Android?).

Or forget all of these and just ask Siri or Alexa or whatever. It's all the same answer (more or less).

Bill

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

If one desires reverse polish notation there some options from HP or the 42 App for iPhone (Android?).

Or forget all of these and just ask Siri or Alexa or whatever. It's all the same answer (more or less).

Bill

I think calculators with apps are beyond my needs. I did see some *steel* calculators that sorta blew my mind. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ailaena said:

Oh, noooo I’m so slow.....

I was totally seriously thinking about technology and mathematics 😔😳

SAT has a no calculator allowed section for Math. Most SAT subject tests don’t allow the use of a calculator  😂

5 hours ago, PeterPan said:

So I guess that's an additional question: Do you like your accountant to use the calculator?

Oracle and Excel 😏for month end, quarter end and year end closings.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I think calculators with apps are beyond my needs. I did see some *steel* calculators that sorta blew my mind. 

I have to admit I am confused about steel calculators. The calculators I am familiar with are either battery powered or electric.  Was the steel model definitely a calculator or was it perhaps an abacus? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m old school, and enjoy doing long division and multiple digit multiplication, showing all of my work on paper. I find getting the right answer so much more fulfilling that way.

But sometimes you’ve gotta just pay the bills, and a calculator takes care of it without a bunch of thought or fuss. I don’t find paying the bills all that special, but it’s better than letting them sit there and pile up!

• Thanks 3

While I very much enjoy our math sessions together with my accountant, I am of the age where I can't imagine wanting to do math without him. Maybe if my accountant had died or I had fired my accountant and I was faced with a life without math at all, I would feel differently, but right now I can't envision it.

We don't use calculators and never have and I make it to the moon 99% of the time. Like @Quill I prefer single step equations. Every once in a while multiple solutions are a nice surprise to a problem, but those are a bonus, not the goal.

I don't think using a calculator along with your accountant is a sin at all. If you're sneaking around doing math by yourself (either with the calculator or by hand) then I don't know if that's a sin or not, but I imagine it could damage your relationship with your accountant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I have to admit I am confused about steel calculators. The calculators I am familiar with are either battery powered or electric.  Was the steel model definitely a calculator or was it perhaps an abacus? 

Yes, more of an abacus, with 1" and 1 ½" beads.

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

We don't use calculators and never have and I make it to the moon 99% of the time.

You're unusually good at math! 

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

If you're sneaking around doing math by yourself (either with the calculator or by hand) then I don't know if that's a sin or not, but I imagine it could damage your relationship with your accountant.

I think my accountant has dysgraphia. I started writing out the math by hand myself, learned some nice mathematical shortcuts, but the account still has trouble doing the math written out. So I'm thinking for this accountant a calculator might boost his math esteem. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I don’t have any input on calculators. I’ve always been able to get the answers satisfactorily doing the math by hand. I do have an accountant who doesn’t like to talk about the math, however. You would think that after years of math it would get easier to talk about, but it doesn’t seem to have. When there are discrepancies that absolutely must be discussed, though, I have found it’s just best to pick a time (not right after math, or when he’s about to start doing equations) and acknowledge that it’s something I know he finds hard to discuss, but that it is important to me to work the discrepancies out. I try hard to keep what I have to say short and to the point. Customer satisfaction is important to my accountant so he usually manages to overcome his aversion to talking about math so we can work things out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

My problem isn't with math; it's with metaphors. 😋

Yeah, once you start learning about calculators you wonder that anyone did math for thousands of years without them. But really, math the old fashioned way and by hand is FINE. We get plenty of problems done, one way or the other. I'm thinking that's where we're one up on these young blogger/reviewers. We've had kids and homeschooled and gotten really good at our math. We already know how to do all the operations, fractions, multiple variable equations. I'm just thinking a good calculator or abacus for the accountant with dysgraphia could be really good. 

I guess you could say nobody TALKS about their math in our circles. And they certainly don't talk about their calculators or need for calculators or their dysgraphia. Maybe that's for the best? Do we really want to know how our friends do their math? Mercy.

• Haha 3