Menu

Ok, I'm just gonna ask, and it's not about math.

PeterPan

2 minutes ago, Emba said:

Customer satisfaction is important to my accountant so he usually manages to overcome his aversion to talking about math so we can work things out.

I think you're right on the contradiction! My accountant WANTS to be a good accountant! Just not really talkative about the math. So you're saying have a meeting to discuss accounting before the actual book keeping, hmm. Dinner and a calculator, with it just sitting on the plate. Can you imagine? 

Oh, THAT'S why some of these calculators and abacus come in pretty BOXES!! 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I think you're right on the contradiction! My accountant WANTS to be a good accountant! Just not really talkative about the math. So you're saying have a meeting to discuss accounting before the actual book keeping, hmm. Dinner and a calculator, with it just sitting on the plate. Can you imagine? 

Oh, THAT'S why some of these calculators and abacus come in pretty BOXES!! 

Calculator on the plate. . . My accountant would die of mortification. 😂

but seriously, if customer satisfaction matters to your accountant, you should be able to work something out. And just like with homeschool math, positive encouragement is more effective than criticism.

Under no circumstances should you threaten to take your accounting business elsewhere.
Eta: not that I think you would

Edited by Emba
  • Haha 4

Only one? I had like four in my cart. :biggrin:

Enthusiasm for school supplies, I can relate. Oh, wait...

I have bought two calculators at once but found I liked a particular one best and the other gathered dust in the bed cabinet. 

• Haha 2

@PeterPan  My accountant has never been great at intuiting how I'd like the books done. I think his neurodiversity completely prevents him from picking up the usual clues. I long ago developed the habit of exaggerating any, ah, expressions of approval while he's busy calculating. It took some time, but eventually my preference for, say, addition became clear. Once he mastered addition, exaggerated expressions anytime he ventured nearer to multiplication, and so on. At this point in time, he's much more comfortable discussing it, so I can be more straightforward. But in those early years, this strategy proved very helpful.

The downside of this is that it actually did become a habit for me, whereas it was not naturally so. I now find it tricky to do math quietly. 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I can't believe I'm about to be TMI on a math thread....

I think I'm a bit unusual, because once I find my solution, I'm ready to close the books.  Over the years, my accountant and I have discovered that it's best for both of us if we rearrange the order of operations.  To achieve complete customer satisfaction, that can leave us reaching for technology.  He's not particular who handles the calculator (but sometimes I am), and we certainly do plenty of manual calculation.  How we close out the books can depend on time, fatigue, and, frankly, I find some things are cyclical.

I have several calculators.  One works better if my accountant does the figuring.  One gives me a really final, single solution.  And one has - for the first time in my life - allowed me to find multiple solutions.  

I prefer to work with my accountant, but he doesn't mind if I do some calculations on my own.  Sometimes I just don't have the energy for really elaborate equations, you know?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, I'm trying to ponder this. I'm kinda slow at my math and that sounds like it might be fatal, so much math, lol. 

Does your accountant help you with so much math, or is this by yourself? Or does it really not matter?

I don't think it matters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I have bought two calculators at once but found I liked a particular one best and the other gathered dust in the bed cabinet. 

See this is what I'm worried about! And they have these 20% off coupons, but I think it's just to entice you to buy too much. I *suspect* I'd like almost any calculator I bought, mercy. 

I think I'm whittling it down to one or two. Like maybe an odd fashioned adding machine type calculator that plugs in (or maybe not plugs in?) and then maybe something a little smaller, a handheld calculator if you will, something the accountant would like. 

Then if we wanted that abacus or something different, we could get those later.

So what do you think? Do you like your calculator to plug in or definitely not? 

1 hour ago, medawyn said:

it's best for both of us if we rearrange the order of operations.

Yes!! 

1 hour ago, medawyn said:

I have several calculators.  One works better if my accountant does the figuring.  One gives me a really final, single solution.  And one has - for the first time in my life - allowed me to find multiple solutions.  

So what would you say is a nice basic starter stash of calculators? 

55 minutes ago, Tiffany said:

Now I can get the answer to 3 or 4 problems every homework session. My accountant has never been happier. 😬We’ve never used any type of Calculator, but You all are making it sound like we might need to try it.

It doesn't sound like you need a calculator, lol. 

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

which calculator is likely to really solve your problems the right way. 

It seems to me that a lot of the calculators are aimed at solving the easiest problems. As you say, the deeper problems require a different kind of calculator. I didn't really research them yet, and yet like you say the more common calculators are solving the equations we already do quite easily. I mean, I'll all for better math, but ok I'll look into the deeper math. That may blow my mind and get a little complex. I just thought oh stop with the abacus gig, good enough.

You're messing with my math plan here! LOL But you're totally right, I was focused on the easy problems and not moving on to the more challenging ones. Oh dear.

• Haha 2

Well, so long as it’s not between technology and putting bread in the mouths of your babes, I would say, the world is your oyster. I never did branch out to the most complex problem-solving and, by now, I don’t have enough estrogen to possibly care, lol. But, as I say, you do you. Heh, so to speak. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jentrovert said:

I think his neurodiversity completely prevents him from picking up the usual clues.

I'm not wanting to skip the kindness of you explaining this. I think the issue was me in the math. I had heard all these rules about math, and also I was just very reserved about ALL my school subjects, not just math. So I got some counseling on how to be more friendly in all the subjects (not just math), learned more about the subjects I like, and am exploring this like I could be a math geek. But my accountant has a BA and needs to move up to a CPA I think. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

Have any of you seen those ads for a massaging silicone vibrating facial cleanser?  I've seen them on facebook and now on Hallmark channel. They promise increased circulation and an amazing glow.

On the HALLMARK channel??? LOLOLOL I declare. I have SO been watching the wrong stations on tv, lol. All my stations ever show is My Pillow, My Pillow, over and over. Not useful for math.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

On the HALLMARK channel??? LOLOLOL I declare. I have SO been watching the wrong stations on tv, lol. All my stations ever show is My Pillow, My Pillow, over and over. Not useful for math.

Seriously, that My Pillow guy. It gets old. But I guess I admire his ingenuity. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Technically Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.  There's an Aurora Teagarten marathon going on right now.

The ad described the facial cleanser as, "It feels like a kiss on your face!" LOLOLOL

• Thanks 1

Just now, Katy said:

Technically Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.  There's an Aurora Teagarten marathon going on right now.

The ad described the facial cleanser as, "It feels like a kiss on your face!" LOLOLOL

It sounds like I should go clean for a bit with the tv on and see what I learn. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

I mostly use my calculator for when my accountant is not available.  Occasionally he uses the calculator.  

I like to go the calculator store so I can see the different options.  I dont like to spend to much.  I have a very nice calculator that was in the $50 dollars range, has multiple settings and a remote which I highly recommend.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Katy said:

Have any of you seen those ads for a massaging silicone vibrating facial cleanser?  I've seen them on facebook and now on Hallmark channel. They promise increased circulation and an amazing glow.

Yes! FB has been pushing this product like crazy. Ulta sells it: https://www.ulta.com/clean?productId=xlsImpprod18191059

The FB comments are hilarious. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

My problem isn't with math; it's with metaphors. 😋

My husband won’t get it immediately either and I brought three scientific calculators to my exams in high school and college so my husband would seriously think I want to add to my scientific and graphing calculator collection.  
I’m reading this thread while my husband is driving and it’s hilarious 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not wanting to skip the kindness of you explaining this. I think the issue was me in the math. I had heard all these rules about math, and also I was just very reserved about ALL my school subjects, not just math. So I got some counseling on how to be more friendly in all the subjects (not just math), learned more about the subjects I like, and am exploring this like I could be a math geek. But my accountant has a BA and needs to move up to a CPA I think. 

Yeah, in all seriousness, I think the neurodiversity makes a big difference. I will say, also, that I have observed a change in this area (and others) with interoception work. I know you've been doing things like that, and you may find that things improve as you become better integrated. It makes sense, right, as so much of it is sensory. I have some additional thoughts on this, related specifically to math and interoception, but I will need to pm them later. A bit too much tmi to post publically. I have to go fix supper now, but will try to remember to pm you tonight. If I forget, feel free to remind me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

My husband won’t get it immediately either and I brought three scientific calculators to my exams in high school and college so my husband would seriously think I want to add to my scientific and graphing calculator collection.  
I’m reading this thread while my husband is driving and it’s hilarious 🤣 

Oh my, I totally need the jaw drop emoticon thingie. I think if I showed up with that many calculators, dh would decide I had changed majors. I'm just not sure what to. Hospitality? :biggrin:

Edited by PeterPan
  • Haha 2