Menu

Updates 10/8, 10/7, 10/6 re: Forum Issue of October 1: Current Info and Instructions

Helpdesk

October 12-13 update:  The electric blue has been toned down, in the hopes that this improves the readability of the forums.  The vendor has been super responsive and we are working on a couple more things. 

Here are some updates; I'm still working on one or two more items.

Some people are finding they are logged off repeatedly.  Remaining logged in relies on cookies to function. If a user does not check "Remember me" when logging in these cookies are only retained for the current session. If the session times out then they will be logged out. Therefore users could experience being logged out during the day if they do not choose this option or if they are using a browser/browser plugin that blocks/deletes cookies.

There is another cause for the logging off and that one will be fixed but not right away.  It's complicated.  Hang in there.  

Regarding post numbering:  Post numbers are no longer a feature as they do not provide an accurate reference. The post number for a post may be different for each user  if posts have been hidden/unapproved for example. Users can reference specific posts using the share link next to each post which will always link to the correct post.  

October 8 update:  If you are having authentication problems, log off of all devices, then log in again on one device.  Change your password and log off/on again.  This took care of the authentication issue which I explained in a post today (October 8 downthread).  

The issue related to the system logging you off is not yet addressed--it's complicated, and will take more time to get this one resolved.  I don't know how long.  

Most of the issues related to user-settings/control were related to the update and what group users were put into (don't ask).  Members have been put back into the "Member" group, so the controls available to "Members" are available to you now.  That doesn't mean that your personal settings carried through, and the settings interface is different--so scout around and see what you can do to make your personal settings what you want them to be.

The user-interface team from the vendor has heard the readability complaints.  I'll let you know when I hear anything--unless they just make some changes that automatically show up.  

October 7 update: If you have asked to have a forum account deleted, and then created a new account--welcome back!--please observe these guidelines:

• Use a real email address.  Accounts that use a fake email address are delete-worthy.  
  • Choose a user ID.  Accounts that have a no user ID get deleted by the system in a day or two.  
  • If the new account doesn't seem to be working properly, send email to support@welltrainedmind.com.  There's a glitch that I can fix and that I hope will be fixed by the vendors pretty soon.  Please include the user name and the email address of both the old and new account.  

October 6 update:  We are still working on some issues, including understanding "authentication" and forum appearance.  Most of the log-in issues seem to be resolved.  Please read the October 2 update if you haven't already or if you need to know how to report an issue or make a request about your forum account.

October 2 update:  The October 1 glitch has turned out to be more than a "glitch."  This post is the place to look for the latest information.  

The initial problem of not being able to sign in:  most people were able to resolve this problem by logging off and logging in again.

However a more serious problem was exposed when instead of the display name, the system showed the user's real name or email address.  The vendor has found the bug that caused the initial problem and it is fixed. 

If you have made purchases from the Well-Trained Mind store, please know that we never, ever see your full credit card number, nor is it stored anywhere in our system.  So that information has not been accessible at all.

If you log off and log in again, your display name should be restored.  However, during the time that real IDs were exposed, if your posts were quoted, that real ID might be stated in the quotes.  If you can delete these from posts, please do so--but if you can't, send email to support@welltrainedmind.com and include the URL of the thread so we can find it quickly and delete the personal information. If it is possible to do a "bulk delete" the vendor will do so, but this is what we can do at the moment.

We are working with the vendor to develop further protocols that will prevent a recurrence of this unacceptable situation. 

If you wish to have your forum account deleted (which will include deletion of all posts), send email to support@welltrainedmind.com.  

Today I can log in. To great surprise when I replied on a comment, my screen name spontaneously was my real name from my account. I do purchase items from you so I want my account to stay active. I do not want my first and last name to ever be on the forum. I think I changed my display name back but I am afraid of this security breach. 

• Like 1

From user Acorn:

Today I can log in. To great surprise when I replied on a comment, my screen name spontaneously was my real name from my account. I do purchase items from you so I want my account to stay active. I do not want my first and last name to ever be on the forum. I think I changed my display name back but I am afraid of this security breach. 

Edited by Acorn
protect identity of person quoted
  • Like 1

Weird question, but my username (EKS) used to be capitalized and now it is not (eks).  Do I need to fix that myself, or do you think it will eventually fix itself?

Thanks!

ETA: When it asked for my screen name after the restart, I put in EKS and that fixed it.  I will say that I find it disturbing that people's real names and emails were displayed.

Edited by EKS

I had to change my display name back to what it was for the forum, but I would like to know if that will mess up my general account--I think I have ordered digital products in the past, and I don't want to lose access to those accidentally.

For those still having issues, I had to log out and log back in to change my display name. Then I had log out and log back in for it to appear correctly.

I had to change my display name back to what it was for the forum, but I would like to know if that will mess up my general account--I think I have ordered digital products in the past, and I don't want to lose access to those accidentally.

For those still having issues, I had to log out and log back in to change my display name. Then I had log out and log back in for it to appear correctly.

It won't let me change my display name. All I can change is the password.

• Sad 2

What is going on?  I can't see most of your user names.  Why did some people's actual name get displayed?  Is it because you put your email address in as your user name when it said you had to?  I did not do that and I was still able to log in.  Very confused.

What is going on?  I can't see most of your user names.  Why did some people's actual name get displayed?  Is it because you put your email address in as your user name when it said you had to?  I did not do that and I was still able to log in.  Very confused.

My real name was exposed this morning because it's on my account with TWTM because I have purchased books from them. :/

Now I've changed my username to something completely different (and picked a different public-domain avatar), because I don't know how long my real name was showing associated with the previous picture, but my old posts still say "edited by [oldusername]" and people's quotes of my old posts still list my old username.

My real name was exposed this morning because it's on my account with TWTM because I have purchased books from them. 😕

Now I've changed my username to something completely different (and picked a different public-domain avatar), because I don't know how long my real name was showing associated with the previous picture, but my old posts still say "edited by [oldusername]" and people's quotes of my old posts still list my old username.

Can you pm me who you are?  I am terrible about figure that stuff out.

• Like 1

I did NOT change my password yesterday when it insisted that it was suddenly 'wrong', as that happened once before and then the next day it just logged me back in automatically like nothing ever happened.

Then this morning, that seemed to happen, but it sounds like people's screennames were screwed up?  I was on again for such a short time I didn't have time to notice - then it kicked me out and demanded I give it a new screenname to 'complete my registration'.  Which obviously has been complete for like decades...

So, I finally gave in and gave it the same OLD screenname I've always had, and it is now happy; it even auto-logged me in with my old email and password.  So, everyone just give it your OLD name, so we all don't have to learn new ones!!   I'm confused enough already...

• Like 1

• Helpdesk changed the title to Site Problems October 1: Updates and Current Info and Instructions
2 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

@HelpdeskWe can also see emails/real names at the bottom of posts under "edited by" as shown in this very thread.

That appears, at least, to only be happening to people who have not re-entered or updated their screen name as you can see where they have no name at all above their avatar (I just re-entered my old one to get back on the boards today; that worked - my alias now shows up both above my avatar and when I edit).

6 hours ago, kbutton said:

That's frustrating! I had to log out, log in, change it, log out, log in to see the change. It would not let me change it the first go around. 

After I did this, it seemed fine, then I was prompted to change my display name. It let me keep kbutton, and I *think* it's working again. 

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I did NOT change my password yesterday when it insisted that it was suddenly 'wrong', as that happened once before and then the next day it just logged me back in automatically like nothing ever happened.

Then this morning, that seemed to happen, but it sounds like people's screennames were screwed up?  I was on again for such a short time I didn't have time to notice - then it kicked me out and demanded I give it a new screenname to 'complete my registration'.  Which obviously has been complete for like decades...

So, I finally gave in and gave it the same OLD screenname I've always had, and it is now happy; it even auto-logged me in with my old email and password.  So, everyone just give it your OLD name, so we all don't have to learn new ones!!   I'm confused enough already...

Yes, this is what it did to me. Working so far...

8 minutes ago, Plum said:

@Pippen and @Acorn you might want to reedit your posts because the edited at/by portion of your posts are exposing your real name or email. 

They're probably not back on the boards yet. The boards are not letting you on unless you enter a 'new' (or your old) screenname, and once you do, no need to edit, all the email adds get auto-replaced with the screenname.  The same way the old names got auto-replaced with the emails and blank spaces when the glitch attacked.

I had to change my password on Oct 1st and Oct 2nd, but I haven’t had to today (fingers crossed) Oct 3rd.

Is this also where I talk about how I used to stay logged into WTM for weeks at a time, but lately, it logs me out after about 10/20 minutes of inactivity?  I’m constantly having to re-log in and re-find any threads I had up on my screen so I can figure out where I left off in each thread.

Any update on how to change display names?   I put in something when I had to re-log in since it wasn't taking my usual.  I'd like to change it to something less distinctive.  I was able to change it on the account link but that's still not showing up in the forums.  

Thank you.

On 10/2/2020 at 5:58 AM, Acorn said:

From user Acorn:

The edited by note on this post needs to be fixed.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:02 PM, RootAnn said:

@HelpdeskWe can also see emails/real names at the bottom of posts under "edited by" as shown in this very thread.

Thank you for letting me know.

I deleted that post on this thread.  Maybe I will learn a more elegant way to do this.  I hate to delete a whole post, but I couldn't figure out how to fix this any other way. 

I will certainly follow up to see if the "edited by" issue can be/has been resolved or if it can be accomplished in a "bulk edit" method.  

Please let me know if you see other instances.  Thank you. 

• Helpdesk changed the title to Updates 10/7, 10/6 re: Site Issue of October 1: Updates and Current Info and Instructions
On 10/5/2020 at 4:30 PM, Æthelflæd said:

Does it matter that my new profile says it needs to "re-authenticate" or can I just ignore that? 

If you log off and log on again, it might go away.  If it doesn't...well, here is what I had to do on my civilian account: 

Log off. Log on. Change password. Log on with new password.  Now I am authenticated AND I can log on all three of my devices now.

MOST people won't have to go through this secondary process; it depends on whether you changed your password during a 3-hour period on October 1.  So happens, I did so.  For those who sailed blithely through those three hours, a system update should have taken care of the authentication issue. 

• Helpdesk changed the title to Updates 10/8, 10/7, 10/6 re: Forum Issue of October 1: Current Info and Instructions
On 10/10/2020 at 8:37 PM, RootAnn said:

The logging me out seems to be more frequent recently. It is happening daily (or more often) vs every 5-6 days prior to October. 

I know some people had it that often before but every 3rd day was as bad as it gotten previously. 

Thank you for letting me know.  I have been having the same experience.  The resolution to this is tied up with some system changes that will take place, we hope, after Thanksgiving, in early December.  I'll have more info on this as we get closer to that event, but in the meantime, I will make the report to the vendor so that if anything can be done in the meantime, it will.