Menu

PSA - Death related

SquirrellyMama

26 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Before your spouse dies please make sure that both spouses know all about the finances. My father passed away on Tuesday. He paid all the bills, had loans in his name only that my mom didn't know about, etc... It is a mess!

Kelly

I am so sorry for your loss  ((((Kelly))))

I am so sorry. 

In our family, I’m the bookkeeper. I have said many times to my kids and to dh, “this is the notebook you need if I die.” 

1 hour ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Before your spouse dies please make sure that both spouses know all about the finances. My father passed away on Tuesday. He paid all the bills, had loans in his name only that my mom didn't know about, etc... It is a mess!

Kelly

I am so sorry for your loss! 

I am the family bookkeeper, but there aren't any secrets. When my FIL died, I had to sort a lot of stuff for my MIL. She had paid bills in the past (good!), but there were things she didn't want to know (bad), and my FIL had lost track of a few things when not feeling well. I ended up making her a bill-paying notebook with kind of a yearly overview and a monthly breakdown--it has pockets for all the bills to be paid, bank statements, etc. I think I also made a separate notebook with pockets for insurance policy paperwork and things like that--it was basically sheet protectors, but they had a sticker saying exactly what belonged in each slot, so if something had to be taken out, it was clear what went back into each slot so that things couldn't walk off without someone knowing. I think she liked it all right (she has a weird relationship with wanting to be told what to do but resenting it), but if you need ideas for something like that, I can describe roughly what I did. My SIL with ADHD really liked it, so I think it's quite streamlined. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

I’m so sorry, that’s hard.

My SO pays everything and has all the accounts, so he uses a password vault and made sure I have the master info for it so I can get every log in and account access, precisely for this reason. We really love OnePassword.

Is that the same as this? https://1password.com/  Thanks for the recommendation!

2 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Kelly

I'm so sorry for your loss.  hugs.

One of my dearest friends is going through the same thing.  Dad handled all the finances and took care of mom.  They all thought she'd go first because her health was poor.  But, he got pancreatic cancer and, thanks to COVID, did not go in until about 2 weeks before he died.  And no one could visit him in the hospital.  It's a mess and just so very sad too.  

• Sad 1