Menu

Possible new career? Suggestions?

Slache

My husband was a field inspector who lost his job and turned to rideshare full time by necessity, but does not care for it.  I don't know if you've noticed but we're in the middle of a pandemic so we have a bizarre opportunity for him to take a small amount of time (weeks, not years) to do something else. Phlebotomy came to mind but he doesn't like the idea, and I've dabbled with the idea of a notary certification but I don't know if it's worth it. So please, yet again, plan my entire life for me.

Thank you.

Edited by Slache
  • Sad 1

We just had to have someone come check our backflow thing on our irrigation water line. Apparently we're required to do that yearly and I thought that might be a decent job without too much training. Googling suggests you can get certified in about 40 hours? So it isn't necessarily plumbing, but might be a decent trade. The woman we had come out is also selling us a new one, so there's probably a little money to be made that way too (ours was broken and she has some to replace them. We knew it was broken, so she isn't making stuff up).

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 2

At least in our state, notaries aren't paid.  It's provided as a public service.

You didn't say why he didn't like the ride share job.  Would he prefer to drive products instead of people?  Commercial drivers can be trained in 2-6 weeks, depending on the program.

• Like 7

Slache pardon my ignorance Field inspector is that in the construction industry?What are his interests?There are certificate courses he can do but if you give us an idea of what might interest him then maybe we can help narrow it down.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Wait, there's a pandemic?  Why didn't anyone tell me?  

How is he with kids?  

He absolutely loves them and is great with them but does not want to do it full time.

2 minutes ago, mominco said:

Slache pardon my ignorance Field inspector is that in the construction industry?What are his interests?There are certificate courses he can do but if you give us an idea of what might interest him then maybe we can help narrow it down.

He makes sure places are to code and similar.

Interests are art and other things that don't make money.

2 hours ago, klmama said:

At least in our state, notaries aren't paid.  It's provided as a public service.

You didn't say why he didn't like the ride share job.  Would he prefer to drive products instead of people?  Commercial drivers can be trained in 2-6 weeks, depending on the program.

Here,  they can charge $5 if you go to them, $10 if they come to you. Not something to make a living off of. 

• Like 1

Phlebotomist and EMT and pharmacy tech pay about the same as amazon warehouse workers in SA ($14-16/hr). 

This gives you a range of automotive tech salaries in SA: https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=mechanic&l=San+Antonio%2C+TX  It easily pushes into that $20/hr for entry level, and once you are certified gets you into that $70-80k range.

Respiratory therapy is $25-40/hr, but it's a 2 year certificate and right now, uh, kind of in that hazard range of occupations.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

Here,  they can charge $5 if you go to them, $10 if they come to you. Not something to make a living off of. 

Interesting. I didn't realize there was such a think as free notary services. Here we pay $10-$20 when we go to them and $60+ when they come to us. Crazy.

• Like 1

Does he want to do something related to being a field inspector, or something totally different? Someone on the board... Quill, maybe?... is learning to be a paralegal. The initial training time wasn't long.

Edited by Kanin

1 minute ago, Kanin said:

How does he feel about learning to code? I wouldn't know where to point him, though. It just seems like people with a programming background can always find work. 

Lol! No. He's ADD/ASD and won't sit in front of a computer that long.

Just now, Kanin said:

Does he want to do something related to being a field inspector, or something totally different?

Either. It's a lifestyle more than a field. He works 12 hour days and we're struggling. A lot! My health does not really allow for a decent job so he does it all. I don't really want to limit it though because the hive usually has ideas I never would have thought of.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what he does and doesn't like about those two jobs, field inspector and driver? 

Does he have any phobias or strong dislikes? For example, I am incredibly squeamish, so there goes most of the medical jobs, lol. 

Would he like to be on the road or not? Overnight travel or not? 

If he could choose, would he be in an office or outside? 

Does he like working with his hands/have mechanical talent? 

ASD question: how is he talking to people? He doesn't have to be charming or eloquent, but if talking to people bothers him then that knocks out certain jobs. I used to know a guy in sales who was on the spectrum. It doesn't sound like the most obvious choice, but you're often working from somewhat of a script. His sales superpower was that he was undaunted by rejection, lol. He could be told 'no' five times in a row and  it was just like, okay, next! 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1

Could he take an online career interest test? Those often turn up a lot of possibilities that might not normally be thought of. 

ADD/ASD makes me think outside and a different spot fairly often: 

Landscape maintenance? 

Fence installer?

Gutter Cleaning? 

Appliance repair? 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 5:55 PM, Patty Joanna said:

Property inspection, appraisal.  I think there is a 4-week inspection class at a community college near us.  

This - if I am thinking of the right thing, this is someone who comes to a house that is for sale and inspects that everything is up to code so the buyers know what they are looking at.

• Like 1

Electrical line worker?   The training length varies by state but it's good money and not a long term training commitment.  

Notary is something that people usually have to offer in conjunction with their occupation.  For instance, a legal secretary, bank teller or a bookkeeper might also be a notary just as a value add.  That said, I do think docusign is going to expedite the near elimination of wet signature requirements. 

Home inspector?  

Bookkeeping is something someone can get into without any education requirements and online classes for Quickbooks are available for free.  Not sure if that appeals.  The way I work, it's not all sitting at a computer but I offer specialized accounting services for non-profits.  It's not hard but it's a niche set of knowledge that I cultivated over a decade.  One of my new clients is a church.  There are bookkeepers who just service the needs of churches.  There aren't tax filing reqs for that other than employment related so it might be a nice entry point?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Is he interested in welding? Places around here will hire people and give them free welding training after work because there's a shortage. I have a nephew who's drunk most of the time, but he has no trouble getting jobs because he's a great welder.

Interesting. *I'm* intrigued by that. Maybe when this homeschool gig is over...

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 5:02 PM, klmama said:

Drivers for 18 wheelers are feast or famine. I think at the moment it is famine, because a few years ago they produced enormous numbers of Tractors and lots of people became truck drivers and now there is a huge price war (amount they pay for each mile and how they compute that) and a lot of people are trying to sell their Tractors and a lot of trucking companies have gone out of business or merged into other companies.

However...  There are I believe huge amounts of freight that need to be delivered from factories and as the Supply Chain is restored and there is (hopefully) more manufacturing in the USA, there will be more need for over-the road drivers.

• Thanks 1

Oh hai! I love you people.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, katilac said:

Can you elaborate a bit more on what he does and doesn't like about those two jobs, field inspector and driver? 

Does he have any phobias or strong dislikes? For example, I am incredibly squeamish, so there goes most of the medical jobs, lol. 

Would he like to be on the road or not? Overnight travel or not? 

If he could choose, would he be in an office or outside? 

Does he like working with his hands/have mechanical talent? 

ASD question: how is he talking to people? He doesn't have to be charming or eloquent, but if talking to people bothers him then that knocks out certain jobs. I used to know a guy in sales who was on the spectrum. It doesn't sound like the most obvious choice, but you're often working from somewhat of a script. His sales superpower was that he was undaunted by rejection, lol. He could be told 'no' five times in a row and  it was just like, okay, next! 

Field inspector is great but not full time and he's been struggled to make it full time. Driving is hell on the car ($$$). No phobias. He's pretty easygoing but I don't see him in medical either. No overnight, road is fine, physical is much better. He said office over outside but boy he had to think about it so not a strong preference. He used to be a materials handler and loved it. It took me 10 years to figure out he has ASD. I just thought he was a jerk. :ph34r: He's great with people, but struggles with kindness in more sensitive conversations which would never apply to outside our home.

20 hours ago, Pen said:

Could he take an online career interest test? Those often turn up a lot of possibilities that might not normally be thought of. 

ADD/ASD makes me think outside and a different spot fairly often: 

Landscape maintenance? 

Fence installer?

Gutter Cleaning? 

Appliance repair? 

Good idea.

Thank you.

18 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

Electrical line worker?   The training length varies by state but it's good money and not a long term training commitment.  

Notary is something that people usually have to offer in conjunction with their occupation.  For instance, a legal secretary, bank teller or a bookkeeper might also be a notary just as a value add.  That said, I do think docusign is going to expedite the near elimination of wet signature requirements. 

Home inspector?  

Bookkeeping is something someone can get into without any education requirements and online classes for Quickbooks are available for free.  Not sure if that appeals.  The way I work, it's not all sitting at a computer but I offer specialized accounting services for non-profits.  It's not hard but it's a niche set of knowledge that I cultivated over a decade.  One of my new clients is a church.  There are bookkeepers who just service the needs of churches.  There aren't tax filing reqs for that other than employment related so it might be a nice entry point?  

Good ideas, thanks.

10 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

Is he interested in welding? Places around here will hire people and give them free welding training after work because there's a shortage. I have a nephew who's drunk most of the time, but he has no trouble getting jobs because he's a great welder.

Oh good idea! He's not drunk all the time but we could keep the option open.

9 hours ago, whitehawk said:

What about getting a CDL? Then he'd have options like tractor trailer, delivery truck, school bus, public bus if your area has them, etc.

A couple of guys in my extended family have found that delivering soft drinks to stores is good, steady work that lets them have a reliable amount of time with their families.

I know too many truck driers and I knew what Lanny said. Otherwise, yes, it's an excellent idea.

• Like 1