Menu

My pregnant dd needs prayers, positive thoughts, well wishes and rain dances if you are so inclined.

Amber in SJ

My pregnant dd was admitted to the hospital last night at barely 29 weeks pregnant because the amniotic sac around one twin has ruptured.  She is receiving steroid shots to rapidly mature the babies’ lungs and now we get to play the waiting game in the hospital until the babies are born.  Best case scenario is everyone sits tight for the next 5 weeks and they are delivered at 34 weeks, and then get to hang out in the NICU for a few weeks.  

Even with the best outcome this could be devastating for them financially because both of them are unemployed due to COVID, but are ineligible for unemployment.

This grandma is about a thousand miles away from her baby and grand babies in the hospital and the other grandparents are in another country!

Please send your positive thoughts and prayers for stay-put babies and calm hearts all around.

Amber in SJ

• Like 1
  • Sad 27

Sit, babies!

Hugs to you and your DD.

As a mom to a 34w baby, I recommend that she read a book on preemies. (I can't recommend a specific one, as I had no forewarning and no access to one.) I already knew how to care for standard infants, and hospital staff gave no help on what differences to expect.

Aw, prayers and hugs that the babies stay out for awhile more and are healthy and strong. 

And just a suggestion to prepare just in case they aren’t several weeks in the Nicu. My three were sent home at 34w 3D, just 8 days after birth. We had no diapers, formula, crib set up, etc. they had always told us the babies would be kept until their original due date, so we thought we had plenty of time. A good surprise of course.  But a hectic one. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amber in SJ said:

My pregnant dd was admitted to the hospital last night at barely 29 weeks pregnant because the amniotic sac around one twin has ruptured.  She is receiving steroid shots to rapidly mature the babies’ lungs and now we get to play the waiting game in the hospital until the babies are born.  Best case scenario is everyone sits tight for the next 5 weeks and they are delivered at 34 weeks, and then get to hang out in the NICU for a few weeks.  

Even with the best outcome this could be devastating for them financially because both of them are unemployed due to COVID, but are ineligible for unemployment.

This grandma is about a thousand miles away from her baby and grand babies in the hospital and the other grandparents are in another country!

Please send your positive thoughts and prayers for stay-put babies and calm hearts all around.

Amber in SJ

As a pregnant woman, with no health insurance, can she apply for Medicaid?  it can be retroactive.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

As a pregnant woman, with no health insurance, can she apply for Medicaid?  it can be retroactive.

Yes.  Have her apply for Medicaid asap.  Hospital social worker can likely help.

• Like 1

Have they filed for unemployment and been denied? Because the standard rules aren't applying in many states, particularly if the job loss was directly related to covid. If they're assuming they're ineligible under the standard rules, they should apply and see. 

14 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Yes. The social worker at the hospital may be able to help, or she can do it online. 

1 hour ago, katilac said:

Have they filed for unemployment and been denied? Because the standard rules aren't applying in many states, particularly if the job loss was directly related to covid. If they're assuming they're ineligible under the standard rules, they should apply and see. 

Also, check with their mortgage company if they have one, and any car payments, etc...many companies are allowing you to waive payment for several months with no penalty. 

12 hours ago, katilac said:

They have applied & been denied.   

Their landlord sent them a letter saying because they reside in a state that was never officially closed, he is under no obligation to waive payment and/ or late fees.  And that everyone’s rent is due on the first, late on the third as usual.  Nice, huh?  It was a form letter to all the rental properties but considering they have never been late it seemed a little harsh.

But we are trying to focus on getting everyone here and healthy.

tomorrow she gets to have the cool 3D ultrasound because the doctor can’t “find” the membrane that separated the babies earlier in the pregnancy.  If it has ruptured or disappeared (?) that puts the other baby at risk and she will be confined to bed for the rest of the time.  Right now she can get up and use the restroom, sit in a chair, or walk down the hall with her IV pole.  

amber in SJ

• Like 1
  • Sad 6