Menu

Frivolous topic, ordering clothes online

Kanin

I've been online window shopping as a way to do something mindless. My goal for the next school year is to have a capsule-ish wardrobe of things that I truly like wearing, and that actually look good on me. I tend to have 3 shirts that I really like and then a whole lot that are just not right, but I bought them anyway. Every work morning is full of wasted time trying to decide between outfits that I don't really feel good wearing. Time to break that cycle! 

I'm wondering about ordering clothes online now. So many stores are having 50% off sales (JCrew Factory, for example, has an expensive linen blazer that I love and would probably wear all the time, half off!), likely because people aren't shopping as much. But what about the factory workers, who pack my order? The postal employees? Am I selfish for online shopping? I haven't bought anything yet, but I"d like to. What does the Hive think?

I recently ordered a couple items of clothing, totally non essential but they were on sale, I used reward points and it’s going to make me feel good wearing something new around the house. Frivolous perhaps, unethical no. 

That said, I have since read some compelling reasons why this isn’t the best time to be purchasing non essentials. I think weighing ones reasons for buying right now is a good idea, but feeling weighed down by making the decision isn’t. Does that make sense? 

26 minutes ago, MEmama said:

That said, I have since read some compelling reasons why this isn’t the best time to be purchasing non essentials. I think weighing ones reasons for buying right now is a good idea, but feeling weighed down by making the decision isn’t. Does that make sense? 

Yes, I see what you mean. I just wonder if my postal carrier will think... why is this person ordering clothes from home while the rest of us have to be out there working? I also wonder about places where non-essential workers have to stay home... would that include people who fill online clothing orders? I'd imagine so... ?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mainer said:

Yes, I see what you mean. I just wonder if my postal carrier will think... why is this person ordering clothes from home while the rest of us have to be out there working? I also wonder about places where non-essential workers have to stay home... would that include people who fill online clothing orders? I'd imagine so... ?

Yeah, I agree it’s not simple.

I guess I feel good ordering delivery from our local restaurants because it helps keeps people employed and helps to  (hopefully) ensure the businesses will remain viable and be able to weather this storm. I really want my town to continue to thrive and if that means spending more than I usually would on eating out (well, in), I’ll do it. 

The logistics of warehousing is definitely more complex. Are there shops to order from that are transparent in how they are treating their workers? I think if the businesses are legitimately trying to do their best by their employees, I wouldn’t hesitate. 

I doubt your mailman will think less of you. 😉 

• Like 1

If I had money to be buying stuff right now, I'd be buying stuff right now. People do need to work.  I would lean toward places that have a reputation for caring for their workers, if at all possible. 

I would not give a minute's worth of thought to what the mail carrier thinks. They have no idea what's in those boxes that are coming to your door. Unless they are an acquaintance, they don't know if you are working or not.  I can't imagine they are paying attention to your boxes. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

My daughter recently bought several casual outfits online, as she has an "essential job" but can dress casually for now. But she had to pick her package up at the post office, since all of the big package lock boxes at her apt complex were full, and the leasing office was closed.

I just bought nail polish online but received an email that delivery may be delayed due to a shortage of warehouse workers.

It's still worth a shot, imo!

16 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m thinking of picking up some new jeans online. Lots of good sales and I only have one pair that doesn’t have holes.

I've been debating ordering jeans, because my last good pair now has a giant hole in the kneecap.  And I'm getting tired of shaving my visible kneecap every morning.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

I've been debating ordering jeans, because my last good pair now has a giant hole in the kneecap.  And I'm getting tired of shaving my visible kneecap every morning.

Haha - just the one kneecap, or do you do both for symmetry?

• Haha 3

I am someone that has a frivolous, non-essential goods eBay store. I am deeply grateful for everyone that has bought from me at this time.  My mail lady and I do contact-less pickup to minimize her exposure.  If volume decreases at my local p.o., they are in jeopardy of being closed down in the future. There are a lot of contract and part time workers there, too. If volume is down, they don't work. 

There is no easy answer here. When I feel like it is no longer safe to run my store, I will shut it down.

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 2

This is not quite the same, but for my mom's birthday, I just ordered a gift certificate from a cafe attached to a B&B in the San Juan Islands (in WA state, where my mom lives) The business depends hugely on the tourist season, which should be starting anytime, but now no one knows what will happen. I knew I was taking a chance with a local business in that circumstance, but I also know that my mom would be pleased to support the business, even if it ends up closing and the certificate is worthless.

• Like 2

When my daughter's college asked students not to come back after spring break, she was stuck here with only two pairs of jeans, two pairs of leggings, and a handful of t-shirts. I ordered two pair of shorts for her from Old Navy on the 20th, but they haven’t shipped yet. I feel awful for the poor kid, and wish she would at least shop on Amazon for a few summer basics, since the governor's stay at home order lasts through June 10th! 

eta: My vote is no, not frivolous!

Edited by I talk to the trees

41 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

When my daughter's college asked students not to come back after spring break, she was stuck here with only two pairs of jeans, two pairs of leggings, and a handful of t-shirts. I ordered two pair of shorts for her from Old Navy on the 20th, but they haven’t shipped yet. I feel awful for the poor kid, and wish she would at least shop on Amazon for a few summer basics, since the governor's stay at home order lasts through June 10th! 

If you have Target or Dicks Sporting Goods near you, maybe you can order from there and do curbside pickup. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Math teacher said:

For me, it's not clothes, but I wish I could order paint. I would love to repaint my bedroom.

We had to run to Lowe’s for plumbing parts a couple weeks ago. The store was almost empty, save a line at the paint area. Lol. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MEmama said:

We had to run to Lowe’s for plumbing parts a couple weeks ago. The store was almost empty, save a line at the paint area. Lol. 

Lowe’s was pretty deserted when we went to buy replacement light bulbs a few weeks ago. No worries about social distancing. 

• Like 1

Ok @Mainer reality is you shouldn't be ordering clothes now. We're sitting at home stress eating who knows what, and by fall we'll all be a totally different size. :biggrin: No seriously, I never order ahead because I never seem to be the same size. But if you're keeping it in line, exercising, taking care of yourself, and it's going to fit, sure order stuff! Companies need the business.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ok @Mainer reality is you shouldn't be ordering clothes now. We're sitting at home stress eating who knows what, and by fall we'll all be a totally different size. :biggrin:

Hahaha oh my gosh, I didn't even think of that! Yikes! Maybe I should wait a while 😄 

8 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I am someone that has a frivolous, non-essential good eBay store. I am deeply grateful for everyone that has bought from me at this time.  My mail lady and I do contact-less pickup to minimize her exposure.  If volume decreases at my local p.o., they are in jeopardy if being closed down in the future. There are a lot of contract and part time workers there, too. If volume is down, they don't work. 

There is no easy answer here. When I feel like it is no longer safe to run my store, I will shut it down.

Is this pretty easy to do?  I've had a few items listed on ebay for over a year, and of course one of them sold this week.  I would love to get it mailed without going to the post office.

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Is this pretty easy to do?  I've had a few items listed on ebay for over a year, and of course one of them sold this week.  I would love to get it mailed without going to the post office.

Yes, if you go to usps.com, click the top link that says "Mail and Ship", then "schedule a pick up". They will come to you and grab it from your porch, front step, etc. 

• Thanks 1