Menu

couple guys bougth sanitizer - can't sell it.

gardenmom5

Good! I'm glad they were shut down. The article says they drove all over the place clearing out the shelves of dollar stores in small towns. They left people in those areas, some in more remote areas, without access to things they need to keep their families healthy and then drove up the prices online. I understand making a buck, but being greedy to the point you're risking people's health and lives is inexcusable.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

Well, I guess he has some slight degree of shame.  

“After The Times published this article on Saturday morning, Mr. Colvin said he was exploring ways to donate all the supplies.“

I doubt it was shame, and more pushback from other people knowing about his disgusting price gouging.

re: the difference between "sorry you did something bad", and sorry you got caught for doing something bad.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Holly said:

He wasn’t making a huge profit from it, after shipping, listing fees, and all...but it does bother me that he left those areas with no sanitizer and other supplies.  It’s hard to feel bad for him.  

He bought hand sanitizer at the dollar store and sold it for $70 a bottle and you don't think he was making a huge profit? He even called it "crazy money". The other guy said he made $35,000 to $40,000 in profit on face masks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just now, mom2scouts said:

He bought hand sanitizer at the dollar store and sold it for $70 a bottle and you don't think he was making a huge profit? He even called it "crazy money". The other guy said he made $35,000 to $40,000 in profit on face masks.

I thought he said $20, and it cost him $16 to list and all.  I must have misread.  That is quite the markup!  😱

13 minutes ago, Holly said:

He wasn’t making a huge profit from it, after shipping, listing fees, and all...but it does bother me that he left those areas with no sanitizer and other supplies.  It’s hard to feel bad for him.  

$70 for a bottle of hand sanitizer isn't a huge profit?   what do you consider a huge profit?

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

$70 for a bottle of hand sanitizer isn't a huge profit?   what do you consider a huge profit?

This is the part I was thinking of: 

Mr. Colvin does not believe he was price gouging. While he charged $20 on Amazon for two bottles of Purell that retail for $1 each, he said people forget that his price includes his labor, Amazon’s fees and about $10 in shipping. (Alcohol-based sanitizer is pricey to ship because officials consider it a hazardous material.)

Current price-gouging laws “are not built for today’s day and age,” Mr. Colvin said. “They’re built for Billy Bob’s gas station doubling the amount he charges for gas during a hurricane.”

He added, “Just because it cost me $2 in the store doesn’t mean it’s not going to cost me $16 to get it to your door.”

There was a kid who got suspended for charging classmates per squirt of hand sanitizer. The person who posted it on fb couldn't understand why a smart entrepreneur such as he was suspended. I had to inform her about price gouging, and how it isn't the spirit of entrepreneurship ...

• Like 3

I live in a small remote town. The next nearest towns with big stores are two hours away no matter which way you go. I had to make just a normal quick run into town to Walmart. Toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water of all kinds, beans of all kinds, rice of all kinds, all but the most expensive ground beef, eggs, milk, sugar, any type of wheat flour, canned vegetables of all kinds, ramen noodles, boxed mac n cheese.... all of it is just gone and none of the employees know when they will be able to get any of it back in stock. I was going to try making some lentil soup for ds's Egypt studies but guess what, all the lentils were gone from the store this morning... I didn't even go to the gm side, but I can imagine which items were sold out over there.... You would think that in a first world country, basic staple foods would be available everywhere, but nope......

I did at least manage to get what I needed to make potato soup....it's Italian potato soup not Egyptian but the Romans ended up in Egypt so maybe we could tie it in somehow that way??? Doubt ds would have eaten the lentil soup anyways but it still makes me irritated that people are reacting the way they are to current events.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Holly said:

Mr. Colvin does not believe he was price gouging. While he charged $20 on Amazon for two bottles of Purell that retail for $1 each, he said people forget that his price includes his labor, Amazon’s fees and about $10 in shipping. (Alcohol-based sanitizer is pricey to ship because officials consider it a hazardous material.)

Current price-gouging laws “are not built for today’s day and age,” Mr. Colvin said. “They’re built for Billy Bob’s gas station doubling the amount he charges for gas during a hurricane.”

He added, “Just because it cost me $2 in the store doesn’t mean it’s not going to cost me $16 to get it to your door.”

So why would he bother clearing out places that need it just to send it to someone else's door, if he's not making money from it?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Holly said:

That last sentence is just him trying to minimize his price gouging. The Purell was probably $1 retail (not $2) and he *started* at $20 and he doesn't say that it *actually* cost him $16 to send it. Even if it did cost that much, he still ended up charging 4 times what it was worth. He doesn't believe he was price gouging? Sure he doesn't.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Sorry, but I’m as much of a capitalist as the next person and such behavior during a crisis is completely abhorrent. Excuse the language above.

Same here. I am s capitalist too but this horrible.  Want to make money?  Buy stock in whoever makes hand sanitizer, don't do this.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Renai said:

So why would he bother clearing out places that need it just to send it to someone else's door, if he's not making money from it?

According to the numbers he stated, he was making a small profit from each sale ($4).  I assume everything I buy online is marked up many times before it gets to me, as a consumer, so a $2 item with a $4 profit doesn’t sound ridiculous.  

I do think he’s a jerk for leaving people without resources—I’m not praising his actions at all.  But everyone is saying he sold them for $70, and I don’t see that anywhere in the article.  In his own mind, he is reselling the item for a small profit, and I’m questioning whether this fits the legal definition of price gouging.  Either way, I think he is in the wrong from a moral standpoint. 

Edited by Holly

1 minute ago, mom2scouts said:

Mr. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.”

I read that article like 5 times trying to find that information.  Apparently I need to get my ADD checked out.  🙄.  This is exactly why I generally avoid online discussions like this...and usually stick to the k-8 or general homeschool page.  😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mom2scouts said:

That last sentence is just him trying to minimize his price gouging. The Purell was probably $1 retail (not $2) and he *started* at $20 and he doesn't say that it *actually* cost him $16 to send it. Even if it did cost that much, he still ended up charging 4 times what it was worth. He doesn't believe he was price gouging? Sure he doesn't.

that also doesn't include information in this article that he was selling for $70 a bottle.  or that he MADE IN PROFIT $40,000

eta: definition of profit - what you make AFTER you've met your expenses.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

It warms the cockles of my heart to report they're being investigated for price gouging by their state AG.  Supposedly being forced to donate - we'll see if they actually do.  They claim they don't know how.  it's not that hard.  really.

there was another guy in Canada who got exposed for doing the same thing.

22 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

This was also on a different thread.  On there it said they did donate.

It also says that they have received death threats, including at least one in person when someone showed up at their door.  

to where did they donate?

I dont' approve of death threats - but they chose to price gouge.   

On 3/14/2020 at 12:56 PM, gardenmom5 said:

these guys were profiteers, and amazon and ebay pulled their listings for profiteering in a pandemic.

Yay!!!

And yes, they should also be forced to donate all but a small reasonable personal use amount to food banks or similar places that can get it distributed in the areas they got it from and cleared shelves areas they contributed to. 

Maybe a sheriff or similar has to accompany them to help them donate

Edited by Pen

43 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Pretty sure the reporter wasn't quite honest about how the story was going to go, lol.

But what kind of idiot allows their name and photo to be published, with proof that they have an excess of a highly desirable item in desperate times?  Not very bright, if you ask me. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

But what kind of idiot allows their name and photo to be published, with proof that they have an excess of a highly desirable item in desperate times?  Not very bright, if you ask me. 

The same idiot who can rationalize hoarding hand sanitizer for insane profit during a pandemic. So self serving they think a reporter might be actually doing a story on their sad plight of being banned from Amazon.