Menu

Avoiding people that have traveled?

Soror

Well on the FB groups for cruising a lot of people are saying their *employers* are saying they have to quarantine for 14 days after coming back from a cruise. And some universities won't allow spring breakers who cruise to return for 14 days. Of course, that may be moot as some big schools are going all online for the month anyway.

So maybe they will self-quarantine? I think for yourself and interacting with relatives, look at where you are in the risk categories and make a safe choice. I don't think anyone cruising right now will be surprised if people are leery when they come back. But yeah, I'd cruise right now if the prices were dirt cheap. They aren't yet, even for all this. People are still going and still coming back safely. It's just a bit more bumpy right now. I'm assuming a lot of people will have to cancel with these employer and university driven quarantine policies, so then maybe prices will drop. 

I'm wondering what to do with my sons coming home for Easter.  One lives in Boston, and is planning on traveling to Chicago and NYC in the next couple of weeks.  He would fly here (we live in OH)  The other lives in Indiana and is very busy and active, frequently goes to Indianapolis, interacts with different groups of people all the time, etc.  I hate to say this, but I'm tempted to tell them not to come home.     

ETA - I don't mean that I'd refuse to allow them home - they are always welcome!  But maybe I'd suggest we get together at a different time.

Edited by Kassia

I think it's going to come down to very individual decisions based on risk factors and particular circumstances. DS24 is coming home tomorrow from San Jose (one of the hot spots). We aren't going to be avoiding him. W/o going into details that would bore everyone, there's really no way we can w/o some huge inconveniences. We've decided the (probably small) risk of him carrying Covid isn't worth the inconvenience of us avoiding him. For someone that I had no real need to see--sure I'd avoid them for a couple of weeks, just in case.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

I will not avoid people just because they traveled.  I might wash my hands more after such a visit.

I didn't have any tickets bought for this season, but if I had, I probably would have gone through with any trip that wasn't to a disease hot spot.  It would be hard to cancel just based on vague fears.  I mean, there is always some risk when traveling.  I frequently find that some tragic thing has happened just after we have visited a place.  I traveled in Muslim-majority areas when Bin Laden had told Muslims to kill Americans wherever you find them.  I've traveled to places where infectious disease or violence against women is pretty high.  So far we have been lucky.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I'm wondering what to do with my sons coming home for Easter.  One lives in Boston, and is planning on traveling to Chicago and NYC in the next couple of weeks.  He would fly here

My dd's university is telling kids that anyone traveling on spring break to places marked as "areas of concern" by the CDC will be asked to self-quarantine for 14 days. NYC is on that list.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

Depends on where they traveled. Anybody returning from Italy? I'd avoid them for a bit. People traveling from areas with no large scale outbreak? Not practical or necessary, IMO.

One of the effect of college campus closures is to create extra large numbers of travelers - not just the students who go home on spring break and won't return, but also their families coming to campus to pick up student and belongings. No way to avoid "people who have traveled"

• Like 3

I wouldn't avoid someone who had been traveling, unless they're returning from Italy, Iran, or China.   I would never tell my child they couldn't come home though, even if they were coming from China.  (Although, I'd request that they quarantine themselves in one part of the home, away from others, and I'd be strict about that.)

If coming home for a visit means they'd have a problem returning to where they need to be, then I'd probably encourage them to stay put.

I will be washing hands more often and taking other precautions like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am traveling myself right now, so I am not avoiding those who travel.  I just found out today that someone I know is the first case diagnosed in my town, and I would have had contact with him this past week had I NOT be traveling.  He had been tested twice for the flu, both times negative, before the coronavirus diagnosis.  I don't know if I would have felt much better being around him if he had had the flu--given that there have been over 20,000 deaths in the US alone from the flu this season.    

2 hours ago, soror said:

Hmm. So, are you avoiding people who are traveling? One person we are close to and an entire family are going/or have just went on Caribbean cruises. 

They seem unconcerned, I wouldn't go on a cruise if you paid me right now.

This is one reason I have voluntarily abstained from some events. It’s certainly doubtful I picked up Coronavirus but I don’t want to make it awkward for my friends to, say, come to book club. I don’t want any of my friends sitting there thinking, “I *know* she just came back from Europe...did she just clear her throat???” 

• Like 3

Well, I live near some bad outbreaks. And friends of mine just had people come visit from the states. So I hope they will be on top of things if they feel ill. And they will be travelling through some big international airports too. But people in their early 20s still think they are indestructible. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We're at community spread. I figure I'm as much at risk from the kid with a cough at my kids' school as I am from Karen who just got back from Italy and is complaining she didn't get to do all she wanted because people were busy dying and stuff. 

I'd be avoiding her for other reasons.... I mean, seriously, Karen?

• Haha 2

My dh is currently overseas and will return in about 2 weeks.  It’s extremely unlikely he will come in contact with it where he is, but it’s a long, several flights return trip.  That’s the part that makes me nervous.  There aren’t any cases of it in our state, but who knows what the situation will be by the time he returns.  Unless something unforeseen happens, I don’t see us quarantining him when he gets home.  From what I am hearing, many expect it to be very widespread by then anyways.  And of course we may have already picked it up locally because most things are proceeding as normal here.

No.  We had company (daughter's bestie and sister ages 14 and 10) fly to us in NC from AZ on Tuesday morning as planned and they'll fly home on Saturday morning.  We don't have fragile elderly people in our lives right now. No one is immunocompromised in our circles either. My middle child was immunocompromised for years so I'm not unaware of real risks to people in those situations, but that's not our current situation.  The health issues in our circles have not been listed as increased risk factors.  

I would be much more inclined to avoid someone who had been on a cruise or long plane flights from places with high levels of outbreaks.

I am aware that we have no idea how widespread it is in the US because we have tested such a tiny fraction of a percentage of the population.  I do expect most of us to have been exposed to it within the next few months even if measures are taken in the near future.  

I have no way to avoid people who've traveled. It's spring break here, and everyone around me is like "Woo hoo, party!" and talking about their trips for break. I found out that some of kiddo's art classmates are on vacation this week. It's a very small class, only maybe 4 or 6 kids at a time, but...I have no idea what to do there. 

I know that *I* am avoiding travel. I'm not even considering leaving the state until late summer.  I don't want to risk getting stuck somewhere. 

I would bet my house that it's actually everywhere here in Houston. They're just not testing. 

One of the girls on my daughter's gymnastics team is on a cruise right now. And she will absolutely show up at gym the day she gets back. They're in the same training group and rotate through their events together - 16 hours a week. Yay.

CDC website: 

“If you have travelled to any destination during the past 14 days:

• Stay home for 14 days from the time you returned from travel, monitor your health and practice social distancing. Social distancing means staying out of crowded places, avoiding group gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet or 2 meters) from others when possible.”
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pen said:

CDC website: 

“If you have travelled to any destination during the past 14 days:

• Stay home for 14 days from the time you returned from travel, monitor your health and practice social distancing. Social distancing means staying out of crowded places, avoiding group gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet or 2 meters) from others when possible.”

Where did you read "If you travelled to any destination"?  All I see is:  

Depending on your travel history, you will be asked to stay home for a period of 14 days from the time you left an area with widespread or ongoing community spread (Level 3 Travel Health Notice).

Countries that have a Level 3 Travel Health Notice (widespread, ongoing transmission):

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Where did you read "If you travelled to any destination"?  All I see is:  

Depending on your travel history, you will be asked to stay home for a period of 14 days from the time you left an area with widespread or ongoing community spread (Level 3 Travel Health Notice).

Countries that have a Level 3 Travel Health Notice (widespread, ongoing transmission):

It’s in the level  2  global

895213DD-D59A-4C66-8857-7C9081576577.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

We have just had house guests who have been on multiple flights.  I tend to think that Covid19 is widespread in the community in both the US and the UK right now, we just don't know it. 

Honestly, I've wondered the same thing.  My dd and her dh had all the symptoms of Covid19 about a month ago...  Of course it could have easily been (and probably was) something else, but the first thing that came to mind when I began reading about Covid19 symptoms was that it sounded just like what my dd and her dh had!  Who knows.

10 minutes ago, Pen said:

It’s in the level  2  global

895213DD-D59A-4C66-8857-7C9081576577.png

Ah yes, I see.  My understanding from reading it is that it's directed toward the elderly or people who are at high-risk because of health issues, but it's a little unclear.

17 minutes ago, regentrude said:

But according to the CDC as of 2am CDT, the only level 2 country (so far) is Japan

Apparently we see different things ?

Right now this is what I see— global level 2 , (level 3 for only a few countries) :

The way I read it is that high risk travelers are supposed to take extra travel precautions , but *all* people on return are supposed to Social distance?

there are lots of potential confusions and contradictions.

my understanding was that it would be everyone to protect the high risk people.  Maybe that’s wrong. 

Edited by Pen