Menu

Trader Joe's lebkuchen (and other sweets)

alisoncooks

TJ's lebkuchen is the strangest, most addictive cookie I've ever eaten.  It's like soft gingerbread had a child with fruitcake, then topped it with super thin dark chocolate on one side and very thin, edible styrofoam on the other. (I'm sure it's not styrofoam but rather some super-thin, wafery thing). But it's so...odd...and I've just finished my second one. Luckily, the kids didn't care for it, so they're all mine. 

So what lovely (or new-to-you) things are you enjoying from TJ's this holiday? I've still never tried their cookie butter...

(If the styrofoam thing is actually styrofoam, and I shouldn't be eating it, don't tell me. Let me enjoy my ignorance.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The TJ versions are Nuremberg style, I think. I like the versions that are heart shaped with a bit of apricot jam. I still happily eat the TJ versions—I prefer the glazed style to chocolate dipped.

Oh my gosh. I’ve always limited myself to one bag a year of those hearts w apricot jam, covered in chocolate.  And this year I have no source and I miss them. always bought them at the Chicago Christkindlmarket and oh my gosh I LOVE them. 

22 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The TJ versions are Nuremberg style, I think. I like the versions that are heart shaped with a bit of apricot jam. I still happily eat the TJ versions—I prefer the glazed style to chocolate dipped.

They had two different types but I think maybe the other just didn't have the chocolate. Not sure. 

21 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

They had two different types but I think maybe the other just didn't have the chocolate. Not sure. 

“When you think of traditional, tasty holiday cookies, we want your neighborhood Trader Joe’s to be at the top of your list — which is why we’re offering 7.05-ounce boxes of Chocolate Covered or Sugar Iced Lebkuchen for $2.69. Find them near our other holiday cookies, while supplies last.” https://www.traderjoes.com/FearlessFlyer/Article/5265

My kids love both but prefer the chocolate covered. Above link is an old one. Think the price is slightly higher now. 

• Like 1

This is one reason I'm kinda glad TJ's got bought by a German company - the German treats I can now find!  

I haven't bought much this year, as over the past year, one of my dd's has decided to dedicate herself to learning to bake, especially German stuff.  She was already ordering Backoblaten (the weird papery things) off of Amazon last year, and made some really good homemade Lebkuchen. PP was right in that those started as communion wafers - I had no idea, but dd had done research and shared that with me. She just spent the last 6 mos in Germany, so she was collecting recipes and supplies while there.  She also makes Pfeffernüsse, which is great since apparently TJ's couldn't get any in this year, and we always enjoy those.  She's also experimented with Stollen, so I'm hoping she'll make us a great one.

New things I've seen at TJ's this year are Brandy Beans (bean-shaped dark chocolates filled with Brandy.  In the liquor section - have to be 21 to buy, but you'd get sick from too much chocolate before you'd get drunk).  My mom used to always bring brandy beans back from Germany when she traveled there!  I've bought a few boxes...  And they had Glühwein, but apparently they've already run out!  Boo!!!  Next year I'll pounce...

Side note: The 'gingerbread' house in Hänsel & Gretel is actually made of Lebkuchen.  That was just the closest translation...

• Like 1

ohhh, I just got back from TJ, good thing I didn't read this thread first, I may have had to try some!😉  I like the dark chocolate covered shortbread star cookies, yum!  I didn't see the snowman cookies they had a few years ago.  They may have been shortbread as well?  I just remember they were great. Came in a light blue frost colored box with red on the lid?  I asked one of the store clerks about them and he had no idea what I was talking about...! Anyone?!

3 minutes ago, ***** said:

When did the German company buy TJ?  

“Aldi North acquired Trader Joe’s in 1979, and continued to let it operate independently. It expanded from California to the East and Midwest in 1996 and 2000 respectively. Its entry into New York City was done quietly but today there are 3 highly productive stores in Manhattan and one in Queens. (Stores have sales in excess of $1500 per square foot!) This is in contrast to Walmart who still has no foothold in Manhattan. (Today Trader Joe’s has West and East Coast headquarters to administer the geographic diversity.)” https://www.forbes.com/sites/walterloeb/2012/05/17/aldis-trader-joes-is-a-winner/#2b9a28bb220f

1 hour ago, ***** said:

When did the German company buy TJ?  I wonder if they could  bring back some fav's then, like the Banana-Vanilla yogurt. I think it was called Vanana?!

Someone else answered about Aldi North (Aldi South owns the US Aldi's - I think they're owned by brothers, and in Germany Aldi North is only in the North of Germany, and Aldi South operates only in the South - hence the names).  

But to answer your second question - I believe Vanana was just the TJ branded version of Stonyfield Farms Banilla.  You can get that lots of places.  All the local grocery stores here sell Stonyfield Farms yogurt (hopefully that's not totally regional - I think they're from Vermont).

ETA: Oh, wait, I have this bad feeling SF might have discontinued Banilla and that's the reason TJ's doesn't have it?  I have this vague recollection that the last time I tried to buy it (don't buy it regularly anymore now that kids are big) I could only find Strawberry and various fat levels of regular vanillas...??  Banilla/Vanana was awesome - if it is gone, I wonder why?

Edited by Matryoshka

13 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

TJ's lebkuchen is the strangest, most addictive cookie I've ever eaten.  It's like soft gingerbread had a child with fruitcake, then topped it with super thin dark chocolate on one side and very thin, edible styrofoam on the other. (I'm sure it's not styrofoam but rather some super-thin, wafery thing). But it's so...odd...and I've just finished my second one. Luckily, the kids didn't care for it, so they're all mine. 

So what lovely (or new-to-you) things are you enjoying from TJ's this holiday? I've still never tried their cookie butter...

(If the styrofoam thing is actually styrofoam, and I shouldn't be eating it, don't tell me. Let me enjoy my ignorance.)

The base is a wafer. It's completely edible. Traditionally, the wafer's purpose was to keep the soft dough from sticking to the cookie sheet (for some doughs, greasing the sheet won't work, and baking parchment did not yet exist.). 

Lebkuchen is a traditional German Christmas cookie, dating back to the 14th century. There are many different kinds. I am not much of a fan, but they remind me of home.

Edited by regentrude

1 hour ago, FriedClams said:

Kringle. Almond only.

We just bought one of those and my, it's delicious.  The best Kringle ever.  In fact, I'm going to have some for breakfast today. [I can't believe you threw some away!!!]

Other TJ things I like -- their holiday coffees -- Gingerbread and Winterspice or something like that. Actually, I haven't tried the Winterspice yet, but it's in my pantry, and I know I'll like it. I decided to buy that this year instead of my usual Gingerbread coffee.  The nice thing about TJ's flavored coffee is that it is flavored naturally -- no fake stuff.  Which is why I know I'll like the Winterspice even though I haven't yet tried it.

Another thing I tried this year at TJ's this year was the lemon ricotta cheese.  I would never have bought that on my own, but they were sampling it, and it was out of this world delicious!  It is a firm ricotta -- not like the kind you use to make lasagna.

Edited by Serenade

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

“Aldi North acquired Trader Joe’s in 1979, and continued to let it operate independently. It expanded from California to the East and Midwest in 1996 and 2000 respectively. Its entry into New York City was done quietly but today there are 3 highly productive stores in Manhattan and one in Queens. (Stores have sales in excess of $1500 per square foot!) This is in contrast to Walmart who still has no foothold in Manhattan. (Today Trader Joe’s has West and East Coast headquarters to administer the geographic diversity.)” https://www.forbes.com/sites/walterloeb/2012/05/17/aldis-trader-joes-is-a-winner/#2b9a28bb220f

That makes sense.  The treats you are discussing sound very like those that are available in the UK at Aldi.  We are managed by Aldi South, however.

Yes, Aldi carries most of this stuff too. 

Lebkuchen is okay IMO, I’d probably like it more if my ILs didn’t by us near cases of the stuff every Christmas. They are Germophiles. 🤣, no other place does Christmas right. (Seems pretty typical of retired US Army). They give us Gluhwein too even though DH doesn’t drink and I can’t stand the stuff. 

2 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Kringle. Almond only.

I just threw out the last 1/4 of ours because I will stand at the counter and eat ALL OF IT. 

PSA - Don't buy them. Seriously. You're welcome.

Oh, man. The Kringle - how could I forget? I agree, almond only. But it's always almond this time of year. They have other flavors other seasons.

2 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Kringle. Almond only.

I just threw out the last 1/4 of ours because I will stand at the counter and eat ALL OF IT. 

PSA - Don't buy them. Seriously. You're welcome.

Same here! That almond Kringle is crack. I wheel by it as fast as I can when I’m there. It is scary good.

51 minutes ago, Serenade said:

We just bought one of those and my, it's delicious.  The best Kringle ever.  In fact, I'm going to have some for breakfast today. [I can't believe you threw some away!!!]

Other TJ things I like -- their holiday coffees -- Gingerbread and Winterspice or something like that. Actually, I haven't tried the Winterspice yet, but it's in my pantry, and I know I'll like it. I decided to buy that this year instead of my usual Gingerbread coffee.  The nice thing about TJ's flavored coffee is that it is flavored naturally -- no fake stuff.  Which is why I know I'll like the Winterspice even though I haven't yet tried it.

Another thing I tried this year at TJ's this year was the lemon ricotta cheese.  I would never have bought that on my own, but they were sampling it, and it was out of this world delicious!  It is a firm ricotta -- not like the kind you use to make lasagna.

I only really get into their pumpkin spice coffee...

I also stumbled on to the lemon ricotta.  Omg. They also very briefly had a blood orange/chocolate chip ricotta.  Equally good. Someone I shared this with mentioned it's basically cheesecake filling (but better).

They've also recently had some kind of cheese (toscano??) with a cinnamon powder on the outside that is amazing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

pretty sure the "Styrofoam" thing is egg white.

some interesting history of lebkuchen - the present form has been made since the 13th century.  Previous forms go back to Egypt.

Nope, no eggs at all.  The ingredients on Backoblaten are listed as 'wheat flour' and 'starch' - unfortunately it does not say what kind.  Corn or potato?   Those are the only two ingredients.  Also no wood pulp or oils/plastics - they're not paper or styrofoam of any kind!

Edited by Matryoshka

4 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

So, the almond Kringle...in what section of the store is it located? (Asking for a friend...) 😉

Bakery section, usually in front of Sample Station. Just ask one of the helpful staff. They helped me today to get my cherries in a jar and char siu bao (chinese buns)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Bakery section, usually in front of Sample Station. Just ask one of the helpful staff. They helped me today to get my cherries in a jar and char siu bao (chinese buns)

Oh, now I want char sui bao. Was that in the freezer section? (We do assorted TJ's goodies for New Years and that'd be perfect!(

17 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Oh, now I want char sui bao. Was that in the freezer section? (We do assorted TJ's goodies for New Years and that'd be perfect!(

Yes. It’s in the freezer section near the gyozas. My kids love them steamed (IKEA Stabil steamer insert). They were buried under the packs of frozen fried rice today so a staff helped me fish some packs out. 

D326A07E-2353-436F-8CB6-2AA3EBFE8A01.jpeg

247317DF-B1AC-451F-9420-0EAA48DE7053.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Yes. It’s in the freezer section near the gyozas. My kids love them steamed (IKEA Stabil steamer insert). They were buried under the packs of frozen fried rice today so a staff helped me fish some packs out. 

D326A07E-2353-436F-8CB6-2AA3EBFE8A01.jpeg

247317DF-B1AC-451F-9420-0EAA48DE7053.jpeg

I love those!  I've mostly microwaved them - I should try them steamed.

I also love the gyozas.  Those I like best pan-fried.  Yum!!

No Trader Joe's in Canada yet, according to their website. We are definitely missing out on some interesting food! Luckily we do have various ethnic stores where they import some really cool food from all over the world. 

How come no one pointed out the stroopwafel? It's amazing, especially if you warm it up a touch so it tastes just like they make at the Dutch markets. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

No Trader Joe's in Canada yet, according to their website. We are definitely missing out on some interesting food! Luckily we do have various ethnic stores where they import some really cool food from all over the world. 

How come no one pointed out the stroopwafel? It's amazing, especially if you warm it up a touch so it tastes just like they make at the Dutch markets. 

Yes! The stroopwafels are wonderful! I don’t have a TJs close, but buy mine from ALDI. Yummy!

23 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I also stumbled on to the lemon ricotta.  Omg. They also very briefly had a blood orange/chocolate chip ricotta.  Equally good. Someone I shared this with mentioned it's basically cheesecake filling (but better).

Yes, that's what it reminded me of -- this lemon cheesecake my mom used to make.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:28 AM, Serenade said:

Another thing I tried this year at TJ's this year was the lemon ricotta cheese.  I would never have bought that on my own, but they were sampling it, and it was out of this world delicious!

On 12/15/2019 at 7:26 AM, Matryoshka said:

I also stumbled on to the lemon ricotta.  Omg. They also very briefly had a blood orange/chocolate chip ricotta.  Equally good.

I'm curious as this sounds delicious. How do you use this?

Regards,

Kareni

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

I'm curious as this sounds delicious. How do you use this?

I am inclined to eat it as it is (Cut a slice/chunk off and eat).  However there is a reddit thread on how to use it including a photo of the product (there is f**** right after the photo)

For the Baked Blood Orange Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cheese, 

“Like our Baked Lemon Ricotta, this Blood Orange Chocolate Chip iteration is made for us in Southern Italy. The supplier starts with fresh milk, salt, and whey, and the resulting curd is blended with tangy blood orange paste (a mix of blood oranges and sugar) and rich dark chocolate chips. The mixture is then placed into a circular mold and baked at low temperatures, until the exterior reaches a lovely, burnished golden hue—not unlike a cheesecake! You can serve it for dessert, to be sure, but you’re absolutely free to serve it on a cheese board, or as an appetizer on baguette slices with fresh fruit. Or just dig into it in front of the open fridge door, with a fork.” https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/5027

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 8:29 PM, wintermom said:

15 hours ago, mmasc said:

Yes! The stroopwafels are wonderful! I don’t have a TJs close, but buy mine from ALDI. Yummy!

There is a 14 second video of warming the stroopwafel in the link https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/5243

“The resulting cookie is a uniquely delicious experience, especially when enjoyed in the traditional Dutch way: place a Stroopwafel over a hot cup of coffee or tea (or Peppermint Hot Chocolate, we might add), and let the steam gently soften the caramel inside to a perfect level of gooeyness. Mmmm.”

• Like 1