Menu

Trader Joe's lebkuchen (and other sweets)

alisoncooks

2 hours ago, Serenade said:

We've been eating this on very plain, basic water crackers.  It would probably also be good on a simple cookie, maybe like a shortbread or something, for dessert. 

That does sound good, Serenade. When next I get to Trader Joe's, I'll try to remember to look for this.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

We don't have a Trader Joe's, but we went to Richmond yesterday (three hours away), and I made my family take a 40 minute detour to go to TJ and get lebkuchen and kringle.  Totally worth it.  Now pondering making more TJ runs on various travels and wondering how long they'll have them for.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Now pondering making more TJ runs on various travels and wondering how long they'll have them for.

Lebkuchen is seasonal so they might be gone after New Year. Apple Cider is seasonal too. Kringle is not seasonal but the flavors are seasonal. 

Raspberry is early summer, pumpkin is fall, almond for winter, and pecan in the spring” https://www.reddit.com/r/traderjoes/comments/8kvqlx/oh_danish_kringle/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Lebkuchen is seasonal so they might be gone after New Year. Apple Cider is seasonal too. Kringle is not seasonal but the flavors are seasonal. 

Raspberry is early summer, pumpkin is fall, almond for winter, and pecan in the spring” https://www.reddit.com/r/traderjoes/comments/8kvqlx/oh_danish_kringle/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

As a PSA: almond is the only Kringle worth eating. Sorry. Raspberry is cloyingly sweet. Pumpkin tastes fake. Pecan, meh. Hold out for almond!!

• Like 2

I popped into TJ's Sunday to pick up appetizers for NYE (samosas, pork buns, tiny tacos, lemon ricotta). I looked for the almond kringle but they were already sold out for the season. I bought more lebkuchen.

I impulse-purchased a rather large tub of vanilla meringues because I see them on the Great British Baking Show and have never tried them. They aren't my favorite...BUT we've decided to use them up by plopping them in hot chocolate. They taste like those tiny dehydrated marshmallows anyway  (just giant). 

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

I popped into TJ's Sunday to pick up appetizers for NYE (samosas, pork buns, tiny tacos, lemon ricotta). I looked for the almond kringle but they were already sold out for the season. I bought more lebkuchen.

I impulse-purchased a rather large tub of vanilla meringues because I see them on the Great British Baking Show and have never tried them. They aren't my favorite...BUT we've decided to use them up by plopping them in hot chocolate. They taste like those tiny dehydrated marshmallows anyway  (just giant). 

do you have a Danish bakery near you?   it would be likely their kringle would be better than TJ's anyway.  (they are here.)

sandwiching meringues together with softened cream cheese  is very yummy.  you'd have to have it out so people could do it as they eat them - as the meringues will absorb any bit of moisture.

Okay, this isn't a sweet, but I just found out TJ's is carrying real German pretzels (Laugenbretzeln) in the freezer department.  Sprinkle with a bit of water and press into a bit of the included salt, pop in them in the oven (or toaster oven) for 4 minutes, slice open at the bottom and spread with real unsalted butter (do not listen to the Americanized packaging that tells you to use mustard or cheese - Germans eat these with butter, and it is Right and Correct 😉, and the other things are Wrong, I tell you), and then you can die and go to heaven.  They taste totally different from American pretzels you get at hot pretzel places.  So.much.better.

20191231_145154.jpg

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We are doing the caramel sampler tonight as a family game—seeing if we can guess the flavors.

What!? I love caramels! I need this is my life!

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

Okay, this isn't a sweet, but I just found out TJ's is carrying real German pretzels (Laugenbretzeln) in the freezer department.  Sprinkle with a bit of water and press into a bit of the included salt, pop in them in the oven (or toaster oven) for 4 minutes, slice open at the bottom and spread with real unsalted butter (do not listen to the Americanized packaging that tells you to use mustard or cheese - Germans eat these with butter, and it is Right and Correct 😉, and the other things are Wrong, I tell you), and then you can die and go to heaven.  They taste totally different from American pretzels you get at hot pretzel places.  So.much.better.

20191231_145154.jpg

Ooh, my oldest loves soft baked pretzels. She's obsessed with them. This is now on my Must Find list!

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I need lots of other people to find these so they sell a lot of them and never go away!!

My kids like the pretzel rolls pack  (Laugenbroetchen) and the pretzel stick (99 cents each http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HC1t5w1Xw6Y/U2lClyZmcCI/AAAAAAAADUY/31o08GKZxQ4/s1600/pretzelstick.jpg ). They miss the cans of clam chowder as that’s discontinued.

3 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Ooh, my oldest loves soft baked pretzels. She's obsessed with them. This is now on my Must Find list!

https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/big-soft-pretzels

34 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My kids like the pretzel rolls pack  (Laugenbroetchen) and the pretzel stick (99 cents each http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HC1t5w1Xw6Y/U2lClyZmcCI/AAAAAAAADUY/31o08GKZxQ4/s1600/pretzelstick.jpg ). They miss the cans of clam chowder as that’s discontinued.

https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/big-soft-pretzels

The pretzel rolls (and the pretzel bagels!) are yummy, but they don't taste half as good as the frozen ones 'baked' fresh!

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

The pretzel rolls (and the pretzel bagels!) are yummy, but they don't taste half as good as the frozen ones 'baked' fresh!

They have them frozen in the backroom/storeroom and the staff will bring them for you if you ask. I warm mine up and add a slab/square of unsalted butter.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

20191231_145154.jpg

I read this *after* I got home from TJ 😞

Next time!

10 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

do you have a Danish bakery near you?   it would be likely their kringle would be better than TJ's anyway.  (they are here.)

sandwiching meringues together with softened cream cheese  is very yummy.  you'd have to have it out so people could do it as they eat them - as the meringues will absorb any bit of moisture.

The kringle at TJ's comes from a Danish bakery in Wisconsin