Menu

New puppy maybe —What was I thinking

Scarlett

8 minutes ago, wintermom said:

People grieving can make decisions that may not be the most practical. You are obviously a supporting person, trying to help out, but the reality is that a puppy is far too much work when someone is already older and caretaking a spouse. Why not wait a year and see how things go. There are litters of puppies around all the time.

I don’t think you are understanding this situation at all. My SIL is showing me a liter of pups her work mates have.  She mentioned how cool it would be if we all had liter mates.  She hasn’t even mentioned it to her mom.  So that’s is up to her.  I really didn't post to discuss what is best for my MIL....I just wondered if y’all could identify this breed.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

I don’t think you are understanding this situation at all. My SIL is showing me a liter of pups her work mates have.  She mentioned how cool it would be if we all had liter mates.  She hasn’t even mentioned it to her mom.  So that’s is up to her.  I really didn't post to discuss what is best for my MIL....I just wondered if y’all could identify this breed.  

You might want to revise your first post.  It sounds like it’s largely about your MIL and her dog loss/needs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Good grief.  If she wants a puppy she will get one.  If she doesn’t she won’t. She is capable knowing what she wants and what she can handle. 

A man my dh worked with lost his wife in a car crash and a thoughtful nurse with a litter of yellow lab puppies gifted one to him. He accepted the puppy, but had no time to train it, had to hire out a teen to walk it, and eventually gave it up. It was an added burden at a time when he was vulnerable and couldn't say no. 

Just be aware that you may be owning the puppy, or you may see it destroyed or given up if it doesn't work out.

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I never said we were going to get her one and certainly did not say we were going to surprise her with one!  

My bad - I got confused with SIL and her mom and somehow translated that to your MIL. I've never been good with relative definitions! 

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

?? You want an unknown breed dog? Why?

1 hour ago, Selkie said:

His head reminds me of a pointer like the one in this picture:

https://projectupland.com/hunting-dogs/bird-hunting-dog-breeds/english-pointer-2/

Scarlett, get some doggy DNA tests done so this mystery can be solved!😉

I see some of it too.   As a child/tween, I would go for a walk with my grandfather - he made friends with most of the dogs on his route.  One was a german shorthair.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Amen to this. Ime it's been more like 5. We had one eat a couch. This was a dog who had been through  very expensive rounds of hunting school and had hit a point of seeming trustworthiness. We were very wrong there. It's amazing what a lab can do to a leather sofa in three hours. 

Labs are good dogs, but they aren't great dogs until that 5ish age. Before then, it's all about tiring them out. A tired dog is a good dog! 

Yup. Some of the very best dogs are the very worst puppies!

52 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Amen to this. Ime it's been more like 5. We had one eat a couch. This was a dog who had been through  very expensive rounds of hunting school and had hit a point of seeming trustworthiness. We were very wrong there. It's amazing what a lab can do to a leather sofa in three hours. 

Labs are good dogs, but they aren't great dogs until that 5ish age. Before then, it's all about tiring them out. A tired dog is a good dog! 

just like some children.   find something for them to do, or they'll find something to do.   so, wear them out in self-defense.

I agree that a tired dog is a good dog. But the problem is that it's often impossible for an average person to tire out a truly high energy dog. And the pointing breeds (which include many of the breeds we've guessed about these parents) are all the super highest of energy dogs, the triathletes or marathoners of the dog world. The posts people have made about Labs and how long it takes them to grow up--IME Labs are way easier and lower energy than the true pointing breeds (Brittanies, the breeds that actually have "pointer" in the name, Weims, Viszlas are the most common pointing breeds). Because I have experience with pointing breeds I don't really even consider Labs high energy dogs. The ones I've known have all been typically active dogs, but all were/are complete couch potatoes in comparison to most specimens of the pointing breeds that I've known. I cannot emphasize enough how vast the difference is. There are separate lines of Labs for hunting and for pets, and most people end up with a pet bred Lab. There are no lines of the other breeds that aren't bred for hunting. They're bred to be serious canine athletes with enormous stamina, and as such it can be very difficult to tire them out enough that you find the "off" switch. It's out of reach of most people who have normal lives.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I agree that a tired dog is a good dog. But the problem is that it's often impossible for an average person to tire out a truly high energy dog. And the pointing breeds (which include many of the breeds we've guessed about these parents) are all the super highest of energy dogs, the triathletes or marathoners of the dog world. The posts people have made about Labs and how long it takes them to grow up--IME Labs are way easier and lower energy than the true pointing breeds (Brittanies, the breeds that actually have "pointer" in the name, Weims, Viszlas are the most common pointing breeds). Because I have experience with pointing breeds I don't really even consider Labs high energy dogs. The ones I've known have all been typically active dogs, but all were/are complete couch potatoes in comparison to most specimens of the pointing breeds that I've known. I cannot emphasize enough how vast the difference is. There are separate lines of Labs for hunting and for pets, and most people end up with a pet bred Lab. There are no lines of the other breeds that aren't bred for hunting. They're bred to be serious canine athletes with enormous stamina, and as such it can be very difficult to tire them out enough that you find the "off" switch. It's out of reach of most people who have normal lives.

I had a Brittany and I agree.  She was the sweetest dog ever, but man was she high energy.  For the first few years we had her xh insisted she be an outside dog unless she was in her crate.  But she just dug holes, ripped up trees, dug under the fence and ran away constantly.  I remember my XH saying to me so scornfully, ‘you can’t even watch the dog while you are home all day.’  I remember thinking 1) you are an ass and 2) there is no keeping up with her while she is outside in the back yard and I am inside taking care of our son.  She would do much better inside her crate with the door open.....which eventually led to her being out of the crate and as soon as xh moved out we moved the pup in the house.  By then she was 5 and much calmer, but would still run like the wind at every chance.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Yes! Although I'm seeing some variation in weimaraners now. I mean, the show ones are still super high energy, but less intense than the field one I had back in the day. The field bred one could run for 2-3 hours straight at the park, running through huge fields and wrestling with groups of dogs, and then come home bouncing around the living room begging to play. There was no way to wear that dog out. We still talk about the first time I ever saw her lay down without being either commanded to do so or in her kennel with the door closed - she was 7 months old. That's right - for the first 6 months of her life she never one just laid down to rest. Even at 9 yrs old she would walk around the house most of the day. The ones I fostered recently were not QUITE as active as that, but still close. There would be NO WAY to wear them out without another dog for them to chase/wrestle with. 

So yeah, a dog that is designed to literally run for 8 hours straight is not going to be worn out by a 74 year  old woman, I don't care how active she is. 

A lab on the other hand is bred to sit quietly beside the hunter in the blind until the bird is shot and the hunter gives the order to go get it. Very different. They can still have a lot of energy to burn, but they do have an off switch 🙂

Labs settle down around 3-5. Weims settle down around age 9-10 🙂 I'd put pointers in that same category, more or less. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I agree. We’ve had two lab rescues, both older than five when we got them, and they have been absolutely wonderful dogs. But we have no desire to ever have a puppy.

• Like 1

At first glance mom reminds me of a lab mix. Both dogs also look like they have some sort of pointer in them to me. My friend has an English and a German shorthair, I see a bit of their characteristics in the parents. They both look like mixes to me and in my very limited experience, puppies of mixes make great dogs. It helps that you can ask the owners what the parents personalities are like. 

41 minutes ago, Rachel said:

At first glance mom reminds me of a lab mix. Both dogs also look like they have some sort of pointer in them to me. My friend has an English and a German shorthair, I see a bit of their characteristics in the parents. They both look like mixes to me and in my very limited experience, puppies of mixes make great dogs. It helps that you can ask the owners what the parents personalities are like. 

They say both partners are super sweet. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Dh desperately wants another Lab as our next puppy so he can field train it and do some of the competitions,  and I keep telling him I don't have the wherewithal to go through that puppy phase. I'm the one who would be home with it all day while he's at work!! I would really love another Dobie as our next purebred pup (we usually do 2 mutts/rescues to 1 pure breed). She was the absolutely easiest puppy we've ever had. So easy to train and so obedient. 

Putting together breed ban issues and our needs we will probably get a pure Lab or another Lab mix as next dog.  

Doberman, and a few other breeds possible, but they aren’t as versatile. 

I think match of right dog to circumstances is really important.    I’d love a duplicate of current dog. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok, we have decided to get one.  We are going to get her Friday.  My SIL and her roommate took one home yesterday.  She initially picked one out by pictures....and she showed me the pic.  I was just so in love with the picture which I will post shortly.  Then they got there and the one they picked out by picture was the most feisty of all....and that was not a good match for them because they have an older chihuahua that is a timid diva.  So instead they went for a very chill girl.....and when she told me I immediately turned to Dh and said I want her!  He had been encouraging me to get one of them anyway,,,,so of course he was on board.  Here she is.  I can’t wait to hold her.

image.jpeg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Ok, we have decided to get one.  We are going to get her Friday.  My SIL and her roommate took one home yesterday.  She initially picked one out by pictures....and she showed me the pic.  I was just so in love with the picture which I will post shortly.  Then they got there and the one they picked out by picture was the most feisty of all....and that was not a good match for them because they have an older chihuahua that is a timid diva.  So instead they went for a very chill girl.....and when she told me I immediately turned to Dh and said I want her!  He had been encouraging me to get one of them anyway,,,,so of course he was on board.  Here she is.  I can’t wait to hold her.

image.jpeg

oh my gosh, that little face!!! ❤️ 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pen said:

Name?

I hope you have a plan for exercise and training of Miss Feisty. 😄

Speaking of, I wonder if the dog type called “Feist”  could be part of what she is? 

Actually she is the plan for getting Dh and I to exercise. 🤪

As for the name....I threw a few out to Dh......I like Stella ( in honor of our feisty Stella here on the boards) but my best friends dog is Stella so that one is out.  So of Bella, Lucy, Allie, Callie, Brandy, Coco,  Maisey ......and don’t ask me where  Maisey  came from....he likes Maisey.

But we haven’t settled on it yet...open to suggestions. 

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

Actually she is the plan for getting Dh and I to exercise. 🤪

Oh yeah!  That’s right she’s going to insist you get in plenty of long walks—maybe runs!!!  Good for her!!

As for the name....I threw a few out to Dh......I like Stella ( in honor of our feisty Stella here on the boards) but my best friends dog is Stella so that one is out.  So of Bella, Lucy, Allie, Callie, Brandy, Coco,  Maisey ......and don’t ask me where  Maisey  came from....he likes Maisey.

I kinda like Maisey for her too!  Or Allie....   

But we haven’t settled on it yet...open to suggestions. 

Mandy, Tikka, Charlotte, Candy, Cookie, Chips, Pebbles...  

3 hours ago, MercyA said:

She is gorgeous!!! Such soulful eyes❤️Congrats!

I was thinking the same thing — you can really see there's a little "person" in there. ❤️ 

I love my current dog (my avatar) to bits, but looking into his eyes it's more like... there's a houseplant in there. 😂  Seriously,  I have owned chickens that were smarter and more trainable. Someday I hope to have another little-person-in-a-dog-suit, like my previous girl, but for now I've got a philodendron with fur, lol. 

Edited by Corraleno
  • Haha 8

So. Sometime this week I ave to settle on a crate, food, a leash...bedding....it has been a long time since I had a puppy.

My SIL told me feom the beginning this one reminds her of my Brittany who died just over 3 years ago.  Her eyes especially.  My. Brittany who was named Maggie had soulful eyes too.  

5 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My SIL told me feom the beginning this one reminds her of my Brittany who died just over 3 years ago.  Her eyes especially.  My. Brittany who was named Maggie had soulful eyes too.  

Awww, I hope this little girl is an amazing soulmate like Maggie was. Having that kind of connection with a dog is such a gift. ❤️ 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Awww, I hope this little girl is an amazing soulmate like Maggie was. Having that kind of connection with a dog is such a gift. ❤️ 

Yes, you just made me cry.  I loved that dog. She was suppose to be my sons but he was 16 when she died and busy with his life. I really need this dog.  I am chomping at the bit to get her.  But it is almost 5 hours away and we need to wait until the weekend. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I have been reading up on puppies and it seems she will only be able to hold her bladder for about 2 hours when I get her. So the first two months should be interesting on the three days I have to work.  My parents said they will help. .....

That sounds about right but they do quickly outgrow that stage and I think that female pups are generally easier to potty train.  Could you possibly take the puppy to work if she’s crated? I know most workplaces aren’t conducive to having a puppy though.

My husband was able to take our dog to work for about 5 months.  He normally works in an office but it worked out that he was on a construction site at the time our puppy was little. The other 2 people in the job trailer loved having a puppy around otherwise it wouldn’t have worked. I loved that he handled potty training!

8 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I have been reading up on puppies and it seems she will only be able to hold her bladder for about 2 hours when I get her. So the first two months should be interesting on the three days I have to work.  My parents said they will help. .....

We've had our two for a month, since they were 8 weeks old, and they're just now starting to be able to go for longer stretches at night - like 5-6 hours. For the first month, they could only last 2-3 hours at night.

During the day when they're awake, they go all.the.time. I take them out every thirty minutes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rachel said:

That sounds about right but they do quickly outgrow that stage and I think that female pups are generally easier to potty train.  Could you possibly take the puppy to work if she’s crated? I know most workplaces aren’t conducive to having a puppy though.

My husband was able to take our dog to work for about 5 months.  He normally works in an office but it worked out that he was on a construction site at the time our puppy was little. The other 2 people in the job trailer loved having a puppy around otherwise it wouldn’t have worked. I loved that he handled potty training!

It is possible.....our shop manager brings his Frenchton every day.  She runs free until we have a customer.  So not sure how our boss would feel about there being two dogs there!  But like you say it won’t be for long until she can go 4 hours at a time and then spring will be here too and we have a nice fenced back yard.....Dh says we will figure it out.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Selkie said:

We've had our two for a month, since they were 8 weeks old, and they're just now starting to be able to go for longer stretches at night - like 5-6 hours. For the first month, they could only last 2-3 hours at night.

During the day when they're awake, they go all.the.time. I take them out every thirty minutes.

What is that breed?

7 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

What is that breed?

These are Australian Shepherds. We've had other puppies (labs & assorted mutts) and the experience has been pretty much the same with all of them. It is so nice when they finally get a bigger bladder capacity!🙂

50 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

How old is she? If less than 16 weeks or so them IMO expecting her to hold it for two hours during the day is totally unrealistic. Like @Selkie said, I think people need to aim for taking a puppy out every 30 minutes (if at all possible) until they're several months old. If she's crated while you work, and if you tire her out pretty well before leaving, and if you get lucky on how her body handles food, then . . . maybe two hours is doable. I'd be prepared for her timetable to be shorter, though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1