Menu

New puppy maybe —What was I thinking

Scarlett

IMO 7 weeks is young to be going to new home.

Can she come home later? Even one week could help, but if they have suitable circumstances and she’s getting good socialization with dogs and people, even longer could be a help to you. And help her too probably. 

• Like 6

Congratulations!  She’s so sweet looking.

I know you’re excited to get her, but is she able to stay with her mom and litter mates another few weeks?  7 weeks is super young for her to leave her dog family.  It would really be better for her. Plus mom teaches the pups about nipping and various things.

I love the name Maisey!  

Though Feisty Franny might be more appropriate for her 🙂

27 minutes ago, matrips said:

Congratulations!  She’s so sweet looking.

I know you’re excited to get her, but is she able to stay with her mom and litter mates another few weeks?  7 weeks is super young for her to leave her dog family.  It would really be better for her. Plus mom teaches the pups about nipping and various things.

I love the name Maisey!  

Though Feisty Franny might be more appropriate for her 🙂

No, they really can't stay longer.  My SIL got one last weekend and she is doing fabulous.  I will try to up load a video of her that is just adorable.

2 minutes ago, Selkie said:

So adorable!! How fun that you and your SIL will have littermates.

You should do a DNA test and see if any of the guesses about mama and daddy were correct.

I definitely am going to!  Dh was like 'Whaaaat?'  He thought I was joking.  I bet I can get SIL to do one too.  She said the pics of the mama we first saw do not do her justice AT ALL.  I will post a picture she sent me of a similar dog that looks much more like the mama than what we were all thinking from the original pic where she was nursing a new litter. But we are for sure now thinking Bird Dog of some sort/Brittany Spaniel....

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Pen said:

Have you got your supplies for home and taking Maisey to work? 

No.  We are so unprepared.  But we are going to stop on our way and pick up the essentials.  My co-worker is loaning me his dog's softside crate which will at least work for the weekend.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

No.  We are so unprepared.  But we are going to stop on our way and pick up the essentials.  My co-worker is loaning me his dog's softside crate which will at least work for the weekend.  

If she is only seven weeks, you won't need many supplies at first. Food, bowls, a few baby toys. Baby gates, if you need them. A puppy playpen is handy. I don't get beds for mine until they're past the chewing-and-peeing stage. Until then, they sleep on towels.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selkie said:

If she is only seven weeks, you won't need many supplies at first. Food, bowls, a few baby toys. Baby gates, if you need them. A puppy playpen is handy. I don't get beds for mine until they're past the chewing-and-peeing stage. Until then, they sleep on towels.

She will be crate trained so I have a crate right away.  But good idea about the towels until she is potty trained.  The crate my co-worker loaned me was for his Frenchton when he first got her.  I don't think it will work for my new pup for longer than a week!  

9 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Oh my word they are so much more expensive than I figured they would be!

I've used the Wisdom Panel tests for breed detection, which cost around $80. They have a test that includes genetic health info as well, and that one is around $150.

If you order directly from the Wisdom Panel site, they often have promo codes for $10-20 off. Just google "Wisdom Panel coupon code" and you should be able to find one.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I love soft crates mainly because a now deceased dog who freaked about hard ones loved soft ones.  But if puppy wets or poops in it , it may be very hard to clean.

Consider a puppy diaper for reducing difficult accidents while at work 

IME, right now best Focus on essentials and getting puppy off to good housetraining etc start—not DNA!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pen said:

I love soft crates mainly because a now deceased dog who freaked about hard ones loved soft ones.  But if puppy wets or poops in it , it may be very hard to clean.

Consider a puppy diaper for reducing difficult accidents while at work 

IME, right now best Focus on essentials and getting puppy off to good housetraining etc start—not DNA!

Oh sure.  Hopefully this pup will be one who will not potty in its crate.  I will be taking her out every 30 minutes or so.  

Just now, Scarlett said:

Oh sure.  Hopefully this pup will be one who will not potty in its crate.  I will be taking her out every 30 minutes or so.  

Maybe pick up some disposable or easily washable liner pads (plain, not ones scented to try to get dog to use them as piddle pads) for just in case.  Puppies often get diarrhea or other situations that result in inadvertent accidents.  Or owners don’t quite get moving fast enough or fall asleep or the phone rings...

• Thanks 1

Jan 20-2020  what as I thinking  Getting a puppy at my age.  🙂  just kidding mostly.  She is a hand full.  My immediate question, which I need to read up on is her bitting.  I keep re directing to her toys which she likes but she keeps coming back to my skin, my hair, my clothes......I am sure this is normal but obviously is not acceptable.  In good news she slept in her crate from 10-2 last night.  I took her out and she then slept again until after 6.  She cries a bit but I put my hand down and press against her through the soft crate and shh shh her and she calms right down.  I think she will be an amazing dog, but is going to need some serious training. Now that I know she is 1/2 and half various spaniels and pointers I feel like I have a better idea of her needs.

As I Was typing the above about her biting she finished up a wild 45 minutes of play time and is now asleep in my lap. For two seconds until dss18 came out of his room leaving for work.....she had to meet him and got all wound up again.....after another half hour she is now sound asleep. 

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pen said:

She’s so cute!

I’d never have guessed the mom to be half spaniel from appearance.   Standing, she looks very German Shorthair Pointer to me. 

Yes I definitely see more pointer in her than spaniel....but did you google Boykin Spaniel?  She does have that face minus the curly ears.  

The biting is normal at her age and may be worse due to early separation from littermates .

There have been posts on other puppy threads about teaching biting puppies.  

Having some bitter apple, bitter yuck or similar spray might also be helpful.   

You might want to start a separate thread with biting 7 week puppy in title. 

• Like 1

Maisy is BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations!!

Re: mouthing. Firstly, call it "mouthing" instead of "biting" when it's the sort of playful chewing/greeting/playing thing. I avoid using the word "biting" unless it's aggressive/worrisome biting. If it's just "using their mouth as hands," I call it "mouthing."  

Our golden retriever (turned 1 a few days ago), like most goldens, wants to use her mouth to greet people and/or try to guide you. We keep a basket of toys near the front door and stuff a toy in her mouth when folks come in the door (ideally, when we hear them on the porch!) This is a classic training method where you teach a "replacement behavior" that you want (or don't mind) that is incompatible with the behavior you are trying to discourage. She can't put her mouth on your arm or coat if it's full of a stuffed sheep, so it works well. As would be expected, after a couple weeks of us reliably stuffing a toy in her mouth when she would have ordinarily wanted to mouth them, she was soon grabbing a toy on her own when she was excited about someone's arrival. I'd say she does it on her own 50% of the time, and the other 50% of the time, she cheerfully accepts the offered toy. 

We also greet her by rubbing her belly (which she loves) since she has to lie down on her back to get a belly rub -- another behavior whcih is mostly incompatible with either mouthing or jumping on people. 🙂

So, that's my advice. Stuff a toy in her mouth. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh oh poor baby, that is way too early, agreed. I wonder why on earth they did it so young?

Owners said the momma dog weaned them.  She wouldn’t let them wean longer.  They seem like wonderful people and are being  very careful who these pups go to...but they may be too young and inexperienced to have helped momma keep nursing longer.