Menu

Christmas tree went up today

alisoncooks

Who else is decorating for Christmas this weekend? I always do early, usually the first weekend in November, but last weekend just felt a little too close to Halloween! Also, we travel to stay with family for Thanksgiving AND Christmas, so I get my stuff up early so I can enjoy it! 

I've done all the indoor stuff (snowman collection, village on the mantle) except tree ornaments -- we'll do those over the next couple of days. Outside decorations go up early-December so the neighbors don't think I'm nuts. 😉 

• Like 4

Well I took down the Halloween stuff but haven't put it away yet. So that's something.

We are usually fairly late at putting up the Christmas Tree (like mid December) but we celebrate through the 12 days of Christmas so it doesn't come down til Jan 6.
This year we have a busy travel schedule, plus we are getting a new hot water heater -- which sounds irrelevant except -- all of our Christmas stuff is stored in the way of the guy who will be doing the install so I have to pull it all OUT... so I think we may decorate Thanksgiving week. Which would be CRAZY early for us.

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

The homelessness charity that supplies our tree delivers them to a local church for pick up on 14 December, so we'll put it up on the 15th.

Yeah, it’s become unusual for us to put one up before the solstice. And this year with the second kitten I doubt we’ll bother at all. 

I do put out a few seasonal (very few holiday specific) items, but truth be told most of them end up staying out all year. I think I’m missing the holiday decorating gene. 😂

• Like 1

It's Remembrance Day here on the 11th, so generally you don't see too much decorating until after that.  Stores will be getting things ready but they won't have lights on or music - a few years ago many started doing it earlier and people objected pretty strenuously.

We don't do trees and such until mid December.  We observe Advent, so once that starts I'll slowly begin to get things in order, but I like to save the very Christmassy stuff till the nd since Advent is meant to be solemn.  I usually try to do any outdoor stuff first before it gets too cold or I can't easily get boughs into my pots and such, and the creche is out for all of Advent minus Jesus and the wisemen.

I used to leave the tree till the a day or so before Christmas, as you'd get good deals at the lot, but now the sellers have all packed up by then.

We like to observe the 12 days too but I have had a hard time lately keeping a tree that long because they cut the trees so early now that they don't last as well. It doesn't help either that we are crowded in our house a bit so that it takes up room that is in short supply.

We put up our outdoor lights and wreaths after Thanksgiving, and the tree and other indoor decorations go up a few days before Christmas. Decorating will be kept to a minimum this year because we're getting a new puppy the second week of December. Which reminds me, I need to make sure we have enough extra puppy playpen panels to make a barricade around the tree!

• Like 1

I won't decorate until Black Friday, but I was buying Christmas decorations today!  I buy special ornaments every year and felt like shopping for them today. I got what I wanted and am done buying decorations for this year! LOL Yeah...Righhhhhhht.  

I also wanted to send dd a box of Christmas things so I shopped for that as well.  I work 6 days a week Sun-Fri, and have about half a Saturday to do instore shopping. That leaves me about 6 more half days of shopping opportunities (so 3 full days) before Christmas. LOL Gotta get busy! 

Edited by Tap

We don't typically do any decorating until after Thanksgiving, but we did bring the tree downstairs today. We're going to paint the upstairs room where it's stored and since we needed to move it out of the way we decided to go ahead and bring it downstairs. I don't know when we'll get around to decorating it, though. Getting the painting done is our priority.

The kids and I will start decorating the day after Thanksgiving.  We don't get the tree until the 2nd weekend of the month.  The first weekend is always set aside for scouting stuff (Scouting for Food and a local Christmas parade).  The lights for the house will go up on Saturday when DH is home to help.

• Like 2

I haven't yet because my house is still a mess from moving.  For the last several years I've been decorating the first week of November too.  I'm sure I'll do it before Thanksgiving though.  We're hosting this year and I won't see my nieces and nephews until Spring so I was thinking I'd surprise them with early Christmas presents the day after Thanksgiving.

We don't put our tree up until after Advent for sure, usually later.  I have heard some comments around here that it is "not proper" to decorate too festively right around Remembrance Day, and I get that. November 11 is a big event in Canada in every small town and big city. 

Edited by wintermom

14 hours ago, MrsMommy said:

I put our main tree up earlier this week. My younger son's birthday is today, and he really wanted it up on his birthday. And I really wanted to have it up, too! I love the lights...they make everything so cozy and happy!!!

Happy birthday to your son!

• Like 1

We have a fake tree because getting a real one in and out is a hassle in our building. We live in an ancient co-op with very few modern conveniences. Like large working elevators. So, I like to get the tree lights (colored) on about now and then all the ornaments and ribbons. It’ll be done by the end of this week. Just bought amaryllis and paper whites bulbs which I’ll pot today. I miss the fresh pine smell but will use real garland and cuttings when stores start carrying them.

2 hours ago, BeachGal said:

We have a fake tree because getting a real one in and out is a hassle in our building. We live in an ancient co-op with very few modern conveniences. Like large working elevators. So, I like to get the tree lights (colored) on about now and then all the ornaments and ribbons. It’ll be done by the end of this week. Just bought amaryllis and paper whites bulbs which I’ll pot today. I miss the fresh pine smell but will use real garland and cuttings when stores start carrying them.

Woodwick candles has an awesome pine scented one. If you can handle scented candles it is a great pine scent. 

• Thanks 1