Menu

Songs to weird out your kids

fairfarmhand

I’m reading a bio of Fred Rogers. And I’m singing all the sweet songs to my 17 yo. 

You are my friend you are special....

and

It’s you I like, it’s not the clothes you  wear, it’s not the way you comb your hair, it’s you I like.

Try it folks. 

The reaction is totes fab! (Even better than when I say “totes fab” to her.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

I was doing this to my college kids last night. when they were talking about their music which is NOT my cuppa at all. All the silly little-kid songs.

They weren't terribly appreciative, LOL.

When I started singing Elton John, they were a little more appreciative. Classic rock, you know. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, G5052 said:

When I started singing Elton John, they were a little more appreciative. Classic rock, you know. 

My almost 22yo doesn't like music from his generation, with the exception of some alternative rock. He prefers classic rock. I did right by him. 😄 

• Like 1

My boys are into some a Capella beat boxing singing group that sings old country songs (yes they are weird homeschoolers) It kills them when I sing along and know every.single.word.

And then insist that Johnny Cash or George Jones or whoever sang it better and make them listen to the "real" version LOL 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, G5052 said:

I was doing this to my college kids last night. when they were talking about their music which is NOT my cuppa at all. All the silly little-kid songs.

They weren't terribly appreciative, LOL.

I recently sang Someone Saved My Life Tonight, which my kids had never heard, and they were floored that I knew every word.  It further irritated them because I (fairly often) call them each other’s names. And have been known to call them the cat’s name when I am rushed, like when a kid is about to back the car into my bike. Pick! Stop!  So yeah, knowing lyrics from the 1970’s weirds them out. 

I do wish I knew why the words to Billy Don’t Be a Hero are always available in my brain but the reason I walked into the room sometimes escapes me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm not a big rock music fan (my brother cranked the stereo as loud as it would go - I heard it. a lot.)   I was listening to 'we will rock you" when 2ds came in..  'mom, that is so wrong"...lol.   dh keeps watching good omens (he adores pratchet) over and over...  and crowely comes driving through the fire with queen playing....

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

veggie tales can work well.   so can 1776 - even for teens and Y/As.

Interesting you should say that.

The whole thing began because ds11 had a spelling test today and one of his words was Manatee. I began singing about Barbara Manatee. My dd 17 began groaning that it was stuck in her head. 

So to get rid of it, I began singing Mr. Rogers songs. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I somehow know a lot of gangsta rap lyrics from the early/mid-90s. My kids just *love* when I sing them. 😉

😄

Actually, I do get some respect for knowing all the lyrics to the beastie boys...

My favourite to weird them out is TLC lol, noooooooo scruuuuuuubs

Edited by LMD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

I'm not a big rock music fan (my brother cranked the stereo as loud as it would go - I heard it. a lot.)   I was listening to 'we will rock you" when 2ds came in..  'mom, that is so wrong"...lol.   dh keeps watching good omens (he adores pratchet) over and over...  and crowely comes driving through the fire with queen playing....

Has he read the book? In reading the book you understand the significance of the Queen music (though if he's a Pratchet fan maybe he already read it).

40 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Afternoon Delight by the Starland Vocal Band will really clear a room of teens/adult kids when performed as a mother/father duet.  

Muskrat Love will do it too though it doesn't have the same ew factor for teens thinking about their parents' afternoon activities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Yesterday we had a car journey with me and two of my daughters, aged 22 and 13.

We had sing-alongs to Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, John Denver and Abba.

Try a bit of Copacobana 😎

The soundtrack of my early childhood. ❤️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

This was an early music video that definitely weirded out my kids, and even me, when I watched it!  (I knew the song, but never saw the video back in the day!)  Still, they now like the song.  

("How do you do")

Yeah. Definitely weird. I remember the song but never knew there was a video. I almost wish I still didn't know lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When things happen or things are said, I am known to say, "There is a song about that!"

Eye rolls ensue pretty quickly around here.  They know I will start singing.

Sometimes oldest will say something and then immediately say, "Don't start singing!" 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I showed my youngest some Donny & Marie videos once. 'Um, wait, I thought they were brother and sister? They are? Eww!' And it is pretty weird to see siblings singing love songs to each other, lol, that definitely gets filed under What Were They Thinking. 

23 hours ago, Annie G said:

I do wish I knew why the words to Billy Don’t Be a Hero are always available in my brain but the reason I walked into the room sometimes escapes me. 

I've still got that one down pat also, along with Run, Joey, Run. The drama 😂

21 hours ago, Annie G said:

Afternoon Delight by the Starland Vocal Band will really clear a room of teens/adult kids when performed as a mother/father duet.  

If you have not looked up the official video on YouTube, stop everything and do so. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, katilac said:

I showed my youngest some Donny & Marie videos once. 'Um, wait, I thought they were brother and sister? They are? Eww!' And it is pretty weird to see siblings singing love songs to each other, lol, that definitely gets filed under What Were They Thinking. 

Add The Carpenters to weird brother/sister duos.

• Like 3