Menu

Affordable, age-appropriate swimsuits for large-busted teen

Ravin

Any advice on where to shop? 

We have looked at Walmart (juniors sizes thru XL too small, nothing she likes in women's/ladies' styles), Justice outlet (18+ fit in a tankini she tried on, but she didn't like it, nothing in the limited selection of 20+ sizes she liked enough to try on), Ross (nothing she liked fit), Forever 21 outlet (she didn't like the styles in the regular section (too skimpy/revealing), I'm pretty sure a 0x will be too big, though we may go back and try, she was tired of trying things on before we found that section), and Burlington (nothing she liked fit), and Amazon (nothing she liked that might fit cost less than $69 for just a bikini top)

She wants a bikini or maybe a one piece (though she is convinced she won't find a one piece that fits because she's short and her bottom is not as large as her top), does NOT like tankinis. She's at least a 32DD (probably; might be bigger since she was fitted at Victoria's Secret last fall). She likes sunflower yellow best, has liked some navy blue and white styles, definitely does not like solid black. She doesn't want anything that relies on being tied to keep the suit together (at back, or neck, or hips) and will not wear an underwire.

Our budget does not extend to spending over $100 for a suit that might not fit in a year. I would prefer to spend less than $50.

Help!

This may not be what you are looking for at all, but my daughter and her competitive swimmer friends all wear Jolyn.  They even wear the 2 piece to swim practice.  The one-piece styles run $65 to $75 and a 2 piece will set you back around $60, but the great thing about them is they last FOREVER.  

My daughter has much more on top then me and she does prefer the tie back, but again, this is for swim practice.  Most of the girls wear the fixed back style.   If you read the descriptions, it will tell you which styles provide more and less coverage.  My daughter's favorite style is the Jackson for practice.  

You can either order online or look at their trunk show calendar and see if they will be at a swim meet nearby to see them in person.  

https://jolynclothing.com/collections/all-swimsuits

• Like 1

Are swimsuit tops sold second hand anywhere in your area?  Seems like you need a high end bikini or tankini top that some other teen grew out of in one season last year (maybe something like Title Nine  “bodacious” style for big cups, or Athleta or others mentioned above ) and then any inexpensive suit you can find just for bottoms that will fit her and be in an ok color for mixing with the good top.  

51 minutes ago, Ravin said:

Our budget does not extend to spending over $100 for a suit that might not fit in a year. I would prefer to spend less than $50.

That's probably not going to happen. 

She is correct about short and busty making it hard to find a one-piece. 

You aren't going to find anything at any of those stores, except possibly Ross because they do get some random selections at times. You will probably need at least JC Penney level, particularly if she has gone past DD, and you got a few other good suggestions for online. It's hard to find a cheap suit because a large bust requires containment and support, whereas a B cup can usually go for just cute coverage. 

If she really wants a cute suit, can she come up with any birthday or babysitting money to supplement what you are giving her? 

I have a short, busty daughter with tiny little feet. She's expensive! 😄

• Like 1

You may want to check SwimOutlet.com. Usually the suits swimmers use are mire supportive and manage to actually cover and be reasonably comfortable. They have some good sales right now. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

You may want to check SwimOutlet.com. Usually the suits swimmers use are mire supportive and manage to actually cover and be reasonably comfortable. They have some good sales right now. 

Yes, I also was going to recommend SwimOutlet.com. We had luck there finding a few suits for dd last year. She is not large-busted, but she wanted a suit that offered more coverage than what we were seeing in stores.

Venus.com has youthful style suits. Pieces can be bought individually for reasonable prices and the tops go up to DDD sizes. I buy from them and they are good quality and last a long time.

Lands End also has plenty to choose from but the prices are slightly higher.

Last year I ended up cutting up a sports bra and sewing it into the neckline of a v-neck bathing suit.  (There are directions online.)  Modest, pretty suits for those of us who are well-endowed but who don't want to show it all are hard to find. 😞

• Like 1

Lands End has really cute tankinis and 2-piece suits that are mix and match, so you can get what fits.    My almost-15-year-old DD usually finds several styles that she loves, and we can find swimsuits that actually fit.   Definitely buy when they are having sales.

• Like 2

We've had good luck buying separate pieces at Target, and I do have one dd who is a 32DD (and short). Before bikinis were their thing, both dds got Dolphin Uglies suits from swimoutlet.com. High neck, cute patterns, worked fine for busty kid, not too expensive.

I second (or third?) Lands End.  They might be pricey, but it seems like they constantly have 40% off sales.

My dd's have also found swimsuits they like on Kohls online.  

I'm not sure your dd's style, but my dd is into the vintage look, and we recently found this vintage swimsuit on Amazon for a good price:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KF0KS5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another site my dd's have liked is mod cloth.  They have cute clothes that are a little more age-appropriate:

https://www.modcloth.com

You can also check out sierra.com (formerly sierra trading post):

https://www.sierra.com/womens-swimwear~d~274/