Menu

Summer jobs

Hilltopmom

Do your college kids have summer jobs (not internships, just summer work) lined up yet?

my ds had a hard time finding one last summer and wound up with one he hated but stayed at. He’s trying for something else this summer but in a non tourism area- lots of places don’t hire temp workers. Even fast food wants you to be full time year round and hire mostly adults, not teens.

Last year he was not 18 yet so couldn’t apply at lots of places. Fingers crossed for something this summer- he needs the funds!

He can apply online for a few things but won’t be back until mid May to interview or start. Just curious what others do.

• Like 1

It can be hard to land a summer job. So many places don’t want to train someone they know is leaving. My oldest ds picked up summer jobs in warehouses. These weren’t technically short term positions but they are always hiring and so desperate for help they were willing to take someone on just to get three months work out of him.  We have a significant number of unskilled labor jobs in our area that really will hire anyone who can pass a drug test and give them a shot. The turnover is so high.

It is hard work and not even a bit fun but the money and hours were good and it was worth it for my ds. He made a lot of money to get him through the rest of the year. 

DD will be back at the same job she had last year, hostessing/waitressing. They hire a lot of people so she doesn't get as many hours as she wants, but there aren't a ton of opportunities around here. She's taking a summer class at a local college because she has decided to double major, so this will allow  her time to work on that.

If you live near a Nordstrom's check with them for summer associate/sales positions.  They hire specifically for their anniversary sale. It's salary plus commission -- you can make a lot of money if you're good -- there is a guaranteed minimum, too. My son did this summer after senior year and after freshman year. You do have to be 18.

As minimum wages are raised, employers are forced to pay for more perks for employees, and teens are less and less dependable due to being spoiled, addicted to their phones, etc....the summer job market has really changed since we were kids.  Even in my hometown which was a major east coast beach tourist area, a lot less local teens are working the rides and boardwalk, and the companies have responded by getting more visas for Russians and Irish college students.  

My kids have found two areas that they have had success with from 15-on.  ...Swim Instructors/Life Guards and also Tutoring at Math Centers....both of these venues are easy to be found anywhere in suburbia and both hire just for summer.  YMCA and Community centers also hire teens as Leaders for summer camps- the last job is exhausting and difficult, but it reaps a lot of rewards in meeting people, staying fit and in shape, and being out of the house.  

If your teen wants a job, he has to first try doing internships at summer camps where he does "student leader" - usually these older kids aged 13-15 get no pay, but they go to camp for free and help with the younger children most of the day.  They hand out snacks and crafts, help hold hands and line them up properly, or if they are out and about and assigned an older group, keep them together going around...My son did an entire summer at age 14 as a Swim Instructor Intern, before getting hired the following year for pay.  My daughter worked at a local Polo venue for small pay - again a very hot, hard job, and showed up early and stayed late, and was able to use that person as a reference.  

So, you have to really think WAY ahead, and set your kid up for it, otherwise it won't happen. There is a lot of competition. If he is 16, then maybe a year round job would be an ok idea. My son worked year round at Mathnasium his junior year, and they were very flexible with his hours, and he was also flexible to show up for them when someone was sick.  So even though they preferred hiring older employees who could work more hours, they loved having him as pinch hitter! 

These are just things that worked for us. I hope it helps! (Also I am assuming you've taught him interview skills, wear khakis and polo, do not be on phone even in waiting room, or at all, as if the phone does not exist, bring cover letter and printed resume, shake hands and greet, etc.) 

Dd18 has had 1-2 jobs at a time since she was 15.  She's worked at a bagel shop, an amusement park, a day care center, a movie theater, and she's currently working at both American Eagle and a bowling alley.  She seems to have a knack for just walking in and getting hired.  

One of my dds 20 had jobs at food service places - Chipotle and an earthy-crunchy vegetarian place, but she's had some health problems and hasn't worked as much the past couple of years.  She's done some self-made jobs - giving craft classes at a local place, doing some translation. She was an RA (not a summer thing, obvs), but it was stressing her health so she's now in an off-campus apt.  She finally found a job on campus (some kind of conference planning center?)  that will be full-time through the summer, so she's staying in her apt at school this summer.  She does not have work-study or a car at school, so it's limited her options.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Calming Tea said:

^^ But these are almost all year-round jobs, not "summer jobs" which is to my point....summer jobs aren't much of a thing these days, but they do still exist.

The amusement park was definitely just summer, as it's only open then. 😉  The day care job was just for the summer as well.  But most traditional 'summer' jobs were always at year-round places like food places or retail stores or movie theaters; they just hired extra kids for the summer.  It is still possible to get jobs just for the summer at places like that, although it sounds like the job market is likely very different in different parts of the country.

In the vein of the Mathnasium stuff you listed above, my third dd did two summers working at summer STEM camps, but you do need to have a certain set of skills for that vein of work.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

The amusement park was definitely just summer, as it's only open then. 😉  The day care job was just for the summer as well.  But most traditional 'summer' jobs were always at year-round places like food places or retail stores or movie theaters; they just hired extra kids for the summer.  It is still possible to get jobs just for the summer at places like that, although it sounds like the job market is likely very different in different parts of the country.

In the vein of the Mathnasium stuff you listed above, my third dd did two summers working at summer STEM camps, but you do need to have a certain set of skills for that vein of work.

True, and I think kids need to be open to the idea of working a little bit, year round, if they really need the money to save up for college.  

DD just nailed down a summer job today. In the past, she's worked at one of two places and interned at another. This year, we really wanted her to do something different. She'd put in several applications, but had no responses at all. She's out of state at school currently, so she can't show up to the "job fairs" a lot of these places have for their summer job positions. Luckily, her sister bumped into one of the bosses at one of the places dd1 had applied (DD2 knows the guy) and he said he'd absolutely hire DD1, so yay!! We were starting to worry that DD1 would wind up working at the same summer job she's had in the past, so this was a big relief! 🙂

So - this is the first summer that all 3 of my kids will be working pretty much full-time summer jobs. 😶 That's a strange feeling!

• Like 3

Our youngest runs a fiber farm and, although I consider it a hobby, she reminds me that she makes a lot of money that pays her share of tuition.  The summer is her chance to get the farm back in order and clip, shear, spin, dye, etc.  In addition to this, she will do a part time internship in her major to keep her resume going.

• Like 1

Dd will nanny for a couple we know from church. It pays 13 an hour, more than she could make retail. She also gets to play with the kids and the mom wants her to take them lots of fun places (and will pay gas and admission fees! and taxes). She will work 4 days a week for her. Then she has 6 or 7 wedding gigs with a great company started by some college musicians a few years ago--she will make about $125 for 3 hours of playing time on the weekend, with travel fees split between the quartets. I'm so excited for her! 

She tried to work last summer and it was hard to find something, so this summer we helped her set a goal of netting 3K. She has to come up with $ towards school and we count scholarships, so if her scholarships come in as hoped (she's going for some missionary kid ones, since our status has changed over here and she's now eligible), she will be able to keep almost all her summer earnings. 

• Like 1

Well, DS18 may have an unusual summer gig. He could not get a regular job due to other miscellaneous commitments, but his best friend severely tore both his ACL and MCL at our last soccer game last week😟 Surgery will be 2 days after graduation, and friend cannot drive most of the summer. Friend's mom asked if she could hire DS to drive friend to and from daily rehab appointments and spend time with him keeping his spirits up. Of course DS declined money for this, but I see it as a good use of his time. Right now I hear they will have daily visits to the local pool to hang out on lounge chairs:)

• 2 weeks later...

My dd got hired at 15 for two jobs!! The first one didn't work out due to personal health issues but the second one is perfect!! It's even a City employee job so once she' goes through all the (very annoying extensive) training,  finger printing, TB testing, she can be hired anywhere in the city again and it makes her a great candidate just for that feature alone. 

We are SOOOO proud of her and super excited and thankful!

She and I definitely beat the pavement to make this happen...it was not quick or easy, so my advice for other teens is to attend any job workshops, practice with people how to interview, dress well, have a cover letter and resume, and practice speaking on the phone as well!  

• Like 1

My boys have never had a problem getting jobs, but the younger two have physical impairments that disallow restaurant or retail work, and that's all there is in our area. 😕 They're going an entirely different route and starting their own businesses. Hoping that talent + hustle = results. 

One of the boys is a rising 10th grader and the other is starting college this fall. Their personal businesses directly relate to their major and career plans.

I enjoyed reading about your daughter's out-of-the-box employment, @Familia. Very encouraging!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2019 at 9:43 PM, teachermom2834 said:

It can be hard to land a summer job. So many places don’t want to train someone they know is leaving. My oldest ds picked up summer jobs in warehouses. These weren’t technically short term positions but they are always hiring and so desperate for help they were willing to take someone on just to get three months work out of him.  We have a significant number of unskilled labor jobs in our area that really will hire anyone who can pass a drug test and give them a shot. The turnover is so high.

It is hard work and not even a bit fun but the money and hours were good and it was worth it for my ds. He made a lot of money to get him through the rest of the year. 

This is what my son did too.  He hated it but made a lot of money.

• Like 1

My dd is going to work at an ice cream place. We live in a summer tourist area. This place pays quite well and is known to be a good place to work. The lady she baby sits for is also trying to persuade her to work at a restaurant they're opening but she has never done anything like that before and is unsure about it.

On 5/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, TCB said:

My dd is going to work at an ice cream place. We live in a summer tourist area. This place pays quite well and is known to be a good place to work. The lady she baby sits for is also trying to persuade her to work at a restaurant they're opening but she has never done anything like that before and is unsure about it.

They're willing to hire her anyway, she should go for it. If it's working as a server, the money is usually good. 

• Like 1