Menu

Washing machine features you like

klmama

I'm looking for a new washing machine to replace my dying front loader.  (If we still had it, this is where I'd be inserting the dancing party emoji.  I've never liked the front loader.)  So, I'm looking at my options.  Besides the different brands, there are a lot of features available now, and I have no idea which would be helpful and which would annoy me.  What features on your top loader do you think are great?  Which ones aren't worth the extra money or are just irritating?  Thanks for any and all input!  

• the ability to soak for a long time (I think mine is like 12 hours) 
  • the ability to override the water sensor and set my own water level 
  • both delicate and handwash settings
  • speedwash
  • prewash 
  • very large capacity

I value each of those very much. One thing I don't have but would pay, hmm, at least $100 extra for, is the laundry app that tells you when the danged thing is done, lol. But I suspect that only comes on very high-end machines.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, katilac said:

I value each of those very much. One thing I don't have but would pay, hmm, at least $100 extra for, is the laundry app that tells you when the danged thing is done, lol. But I suspect that only comes on very high-end machines.  

A smart plug or current sensing device would detect when the washer was done and send an alert to your phone. So you can have a lower end washer and still have your notification. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, klmama said:

Katilac, what type of washer do you have? 

GE G189

Just now, SamanthaCarter said:

A smart plug or current sensing device would detect when the washer was done and send an alert to your phone. So you can have a lower end washer and still have your notification. 

So I could just add this to my current washer/plug? Where might one find such a device? 

Thanks, all!  More questions:

Does anyone have experience with Whirlpool's impeller (instead of an agitator)?  I'm skeptical.  

What machines let you add items after they start filling?

What machines can be left soaking for a long time?  

Thank you for any info!

I do not like all the stuff they have now because they have collectively lost sight of the forest for the trees.

The forest is getting the clothes clean without damaging them.

The trees are all the bells and whistles, which would be nice if, you know, the clothes were actually being cleaned without being damaged.

That being the case, the only machine I would consider is a Speed Queen.  If I could locate an older model with manual controls I would buy that.  If not, I would buy whatever they are selling right now.  They are the only manufacturer right now with a genuine commitment to reliability and a proven track record of actually getting clothes clean without damaging them.

If you have a machine that you like and that is 10 years old or more, I strongly encourage you to try to limp it along longer.  I hope that sooner or later manufacturers start building good machines again.  In the meantime, so glad there is Speed Queen.

• Like 2

Love my Speed Queen.  Large capacity, manual dials, can add things to the wash after it's started, I set the water level not some internal computer, a true hot water wash, fast wash cycle, and everything comes out super, duper clean!  

Edited by MissLemon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pippen said:

The ability to spin out water without first adding water. My old washer had a spin cycle that just spun. My front loader doesn't and it annoys me because I used that feature fairly often. 

That’s a feature I wish I had! We recently had issues that forced a lot of grit through our lines WHILE I was doing laundry. For some irrational reason, it left my washer unwilling to drain, but fully willing to fill... slowly.  There were many containers and lots of wringing involved. It was awful.

10 hours ago, SamanthaCarter said:

If you time that cycle just once, you’ll know how long it takes and can set your phone alarm after that. 

8 hours ago, klmama said:

Thanks, all!  More questions:

Does anyone have experience with Whirlpool's impeller (instead of an agitator)?  I'm skeptical.  

What machines let you add items after they start filling?

What machines can be left soaking for a long time?  

Thank you for any info!

I love top loaders. You can soak as long as you want. Just fill it up and leave the lid open until you’re ready for the wash cycle. To add items you just open the lid and toss them in. I’ve even used a top loader to store extra water when a storm was coming through. I’ve also used it to spin out sopping wet towels I used to clean up a water leak. Then I filled the machine to wash them. 

I have a speed queen with mechanical dials. I’ve had it about 7 years with no issues. Before that I had a magic chef toploader for about 18 years. I hope I never have to own a front loader or a machine with electronic components.  Their cycles take sooooo long and they seem to need a lot more servicing.

People will say drying time is shorter because they spin out more effectively, but this hasn’t been true in my experience. Wet clothes out of a front loader take just as long to dry as those from my top loader. 

I don’t know how capacity compares. I just know I can wash all of my Queen comforters. A large load for me is a rectangular basket mounding slightly over when dirty and more-than-slightly over when clean,dry, and fluffy. If a load gets any larger, I’d need multiple trips and baskets anyway. I don’t KNOW that front loaders would wash two baskets at once, but people talk about their increases capacity all the time so it could be a thing. 

Edited by KungFuPanda

10 hours ago, BlueGables said:

This and NOT efficient with water. Please use water and clean my clothes! We ended up with SpeedQueen. Best investment ever!

A thousand times, "YES!!"

I got rid of my old machine that had an 'infinity' dial so one could choose the water level.  Because we needed an electric dryer in our new home, we purchased a matching set=( So disappointed.  

TIP: To increase the water level, I do this:  after the machine 'fills', I turn off the power button and begin again.  It re-senses and adds more water!  Slight win.

Edited by Familia

16 minutes ago, lmrich said:

I miss having the delay feature on my washing machine. It is kind of silly, but I like getting all the clothes in the washing machine but have it run in the middle of the night so it does not interfere with hot showers... silly.

I got a Speed Queen last year and that’s the one thing I miss from my old machine.  With the delay feature, I could get a load ready to wash at my convenience and have it ready to go in the dryer when I wanted.  I didn’t realize how much I used that feature until I didn’t have it.

10 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I do not like all the stuff they have now because they have collectively lost sight of the forest for the trees.

The forest is getting the clothes clean without damaging them.

The trees are all the bells and whistles, which would be nice if, you know, the clothes were actually being cleaned without being damaged.

That being the case, the only machine I would consider is a Speed Queen.  If I could locate an older model with manual controls I would buy that.  If not, I would buy whatever they are selling right now.  They are the only manufacturer right now with a genuine commitment to reliability and a proven track record of actually getting clothes clean without damaging them.

If you have a machine that you like and that is 10 years old or more, I strongly encourage you to try to limp it along longer.  I hope that sooner or later manufacturers start building good machines again.  In the meantime, so glad there is Speed Queen.

My washer is probably at least 15 years old.  I bought it used so I'm not sure.  It has zero bells and whistles. It works well.  I've had a guy out to fix it a few times. Of course it's in his best interest to have people keep old machines that need fixing, but this guy has a stellar reputation in my area as for his honesty and skill and no lack of business. He told me "this machine is a workhorse. It is so much better than any of the junk they're selling now, keep it going."  He can get going on a pretty good rant about all the useless bells and whistles on machines now.  (Same with refrigerators.)  So I spend about $150 every 3-4 years to get something adjusted and we're all happy.  I don't look forward to the day it really dies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I love top loaders. You can soak as long as you want. Just fill it up and leave the lid open until you’re ready for the wash cycle.  

Apparently, this isn't always true.  I read on a couple of Whirlpool reviews that it would drain out the water after being left sitting open 10 minutes.  Hence, my question about brands that allow you to soak for hours. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, klmama said:

Apparently, this isn't always true.  I read on a couple of Whirlpool reviews that it would drain out the water after being left sitting open 10 minutes.  Hence, my question about brands that allow you to soak for hours. 

I didn’t know any of them did that. I’ve only owned the two machines. I know the Soeed Queen never drains until you close the lid and let the cycle continue. 

7 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I love top loaders. You can soak as long as you want. Just fill it up and leave the lid open until you’re ready for the wash cycle. To add items you just open the lid and toss them in. I’ve even used a top loader to store extra water when a storm was coming through. I’ve also used it to spin out sopping wet towels I used to clean up a water leak. Then I filled the machine to wash them. 

My friend has a top loader probably 5 years old, and the lid locks when you start the cycle, so it's a pain to add stuff.  I've only used it a few times when we were back in VA visiting, so there's probably some way to unlock it, but it's definitely not easy to just throw stuff in there, unfortunately.  I would never have guessed that for a top loader!

7 hours ago, AFwife Claire said:

My friend has a top loader probably 5 years old, and the lid locks when you start the cycle, so it's a pain to add stuff.  I've only used it a few times when we were back in VA visiting, so there's probably some way to unlock it, but it's definitely not easy to just throw stuff in there, unfortunately.  I would never have guessed that for a top loader!

Mine doesn’t lock. I’m all about low tech with a washer. If I forget something I lift the lid and toss in. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, klmama said:

I have a Maytag top loader that allows soaking for as long as you want. The key is to NOT open the lid once you pause it to start soaking. I've only needed to soak a load once since we've had it, but IIRC the procedure is to simply hit the "pause" button when you're ready for it to begin soaking. Then leave it for as long as you want. When you're ready hit the "pause" button again and it resumes.

The lid on mine does lock at some points (especially during the spin cycle). But I've never had any trouble being able to add an item during the wash cycle.