Menu

A Hiver helped me today IRL

Ginevra

Aw, thank you, Quill!  I had a lovely time hanging out with you.  It was easy, as if we've been hanging out for years.

The bald disembodied baby heads were hilarious.  I was trying to figure out what educational value they had when Quill explained they were for knitting baby hats.  😄  (Here's an example of one.)   

Though, truth be told, I'm not sure that Quill and her son actually do any homeschooling.  We collected about 50 billion Nerf darts from behind the furniture in the room, so I'm pretty sure the two of them have mighty Nerf battles all day long instead of working.  😁

Oh!  And I got to see her yellow door and decorated porch in person!  Looked even better than the pictures!  I thought of everyone in the hive who'd posted about paint colors when I saw that door.  The yellow looks so nice against the rest of the house. 

Edited by Garga
  • Like 20
  • Haha 16

46 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Garga, can you come over to the other side of the coast and help me declutter too? I don't have disembodied manequins though...

Well...I would, but then you admitted that you don't have disembodied mannequins.  Maybe you have a deer head on the wall or a mummified chicken at the very least?  I could be persuaded to travel for a mummified chicken.

• Haha 9

27 minutes ago, Garga said:

Well...I would, but then you admitted that you don't have disembodied mannequins.  Maybe you have a deer head on the wall or a mummified chicken at the very least?  I could be persuaded to travel for a mummified chicken.

I am afraid - at present - we are fresh out of anything mummified, however, we may be able to manage a mummified...mouse. We have those in abundance around the orchard. I can ask the cat to procure one for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

You can find your Sharpies?  Mine are wherever socks, reading glasses, and hair ties go.

Well, that’s exactly it...I said, “Well, look at that! I do have Sharpies!” 

I was already secure in the knowledge that our house is well-protected in a Nerf Battle Apocalypse. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I could use some help purging from my homeschool room. Does @Garga make house calls to Ohio? 

I can't tag ArticMama. She is the only one I know of that lives reasonably close.

Laughing at the Nerf darts. Ours are all in the basement but we have quite an arsenal at this point. 😃

Ha, I now live in the same area as Arctic Mama, but alas, I would be no help in the home organization battle.  The only thing that helped me purge was moving from NoVA to Ohio last summer after 14 years in NoVA.  And I still didn't get rid of enough because my garage is jammed full, and we still have boxes in my parents' basement . . . 

No disembodied bald baby heads though.  I can say that definitively!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Garga said:

Um.  

I am the one with the legendary deer head.  

I can't remember whether I ever updated to mention that we also now have a bear skin.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I always love to hear these stories. There was one last month where a Hiver flew into another state to help a friend with her hospitalized child & a local Hiver picked her up from the airport.

I hope that you also found several stashes of almost-completely-used Post-It Notes and a few handfuls of dried out glue sticks.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I always love to hear these stories. There was one last month where a Hiver flew into another state to help a friend with her hospitalized child & a local Hiver picked her up from the airport.

I hope that you also found several stashes of almost-completely-used Post-It Notes and a few handfuls of dried out glue sticks.

We marvelled when a bottle of glue turned out to be perfectly usable! There was a questionable Chapstik unearthed, however. There was an auxillary cord to a car DVD player I haven’t owned since maybe 2009. She also witnessed my bottles of tempra paint that are completely separated and clearly in no condition to paint anything. (That art cabinet wasn’t tackled today; she did not bring her Magical Stop-Time Clock with her so that project will be for sometime in the future.) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Um.  

I am the one with the legendary deer head.  

I can't remember whether I ever updated to mention that we also now have a bear skin.  

I guess Garga will be stopping by your house before she comes to mine if we get that mouse mummified in time...

After all that joking, just wanted to say how wonderful it is to have people like Garga on this board and near you in real life!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Oh, how cool!!!  It would be awesome to meet an IRL hiver!  

Come to Switzerland.  I don't have any decapitated baby heads, but I do have some caps missing pens and some pens missing caps, which is the stationary equivalent of decapitation...  

Shuddering over here. You just gave me the willies. Cannot.stand.pens.without.their.caps.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, AFwife Claire said:

Ha, I now live in the same area as Arctic Mama, but alas, I would be no help in the home organization battle.  The only thing that helped me purge was moving from NoVA to Ohio last summer after 14 years in NoVA.  And I still didn't get rid of enough because my garage is jammed full, and we still have boxes in my parents' basement . . . 

No disembodied bald baby heads though.  I can say that definitively!

You lived in NoVA? I'm sorry we never met. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

You lived in NoVA? I'm sorry we never met. 

We were all the way over in Sterling, so it was hard to get down by Ft. Belvoir (am I correct in remembering you were down there?).  Now that we are here in Ohio, and people in my area talk about how it's not worth driving alll the way down to Costco (literally 15 minutes away and never any traffic to get there), I laugh and laugh!  But the one thing I absolutely do not miss about NoVA is the traffic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

WE TOTALLY SHOULD.  That’s it, when they reopen all the way in the spring again I’m messaging everyone for a group field trip/get together.  Cheese curds are calling my name.

They are open today with $1.50 waffle cones (but the other attractions besides goats not open). We were debating if it worth it to drive 1.5 hours for $1.50 waffle cones and cheese curds ($3.99--is that a good price?).  😃 The chocolate peanut butter ice cream is my absolute fave.  😃 We like to hike up there too! So yes, spring would be great! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I have never been to Young's.  Assume it's pretty yummy?

I did a fairly ok purge when we moved.  But organization, yeah....I have high aspirations and low execution lol.  

Young's is awesome.  Their ice cream is so creamy, with tons of fat.  Soooo good.  My favorite is also chocolate peanut butter.  Once you had their chocolate peanut butter, no other one will satisfy, lol.  The reason it's so cheap this weekend is because they are celebrating their 150th anniversary!  I think it goes through tomorrow.  We may head over there for lunch.

And I'm the same way with organization . . .

Edited by AFwife Claire
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, scholastica said:

Shuddering over here. You just gave me the willies. Cannot.stand.pens.without.their.caps.

Pen caps drive me crazy,  I regularly go through my pen drawer and throw them all away.  I don't know where they all come from but there is always more floating around waiting to be decluttered from my home.  Perhaps all the missing ones from elsewhere have decided to try to make a refugee here but I'm not having none of that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

WE WILL GO.  I am resolved that now there will be a local hive meetup there in April once all the attractions have reopened.  It’s so much fun - lots of little attractions and putput, plus goats/cows for petting and darn tasty food and ice cream.

YAY!  We love Young's and there is beautiful hiking up there.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Garga said:

Well...I would, but then you admitted that you don't have disembodied mannequins. 

Did you know you can order mannequin parts online? Like every piece & part separately?

(I know this only because years ago my sister & her workmates ordered something as a joke gift for someone. Apparently it is big business. Lol.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AFwife Claire said:

We were all the way over in Sterling, so it was hard to get down by Ft. Belvoir (am I correct in remembering you were down there?).  Now that we are here in Ohio, and people in my area talk about how it's not worth driving alll the way down to Costco (literally 15 minutes away and never any traffic to get there), I laugh and laugh!  But the one thing I absolutely do not miss about NoVA is the traffic!

I grew up in rural Ohio and now live in Denver. I have thoroughly entertaining conversations with friends from back home about “traffic” (getting caught behind a combine) and how distance in miles generally equals the number of minutes it will take to travel that distance.

Having said that, I did spend 3 summers in NoVa as a nanny back in the day. There is very little out there that can rival NoVa traffic. I don’t miss that. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

WE WILL GO.  I am resolved that now there will be a local hive meetup there in April once all the attractions have reopened.  It’s so much fun - lots of little attractions and putput, plus goats/cows for petting and darn tasty food and ice cream.

I’ve never been there but that sounds fun!