Menu

I need some Christmas magic UPDATE: first post!!!

busymama7

My daughter is a huge animal lover and has been begging for a pet for a very long time. We have finally decided that now is a good time to go ahead and get her one. I've been talking to people including our vet friend and have zeroed in on a shih tzu mix or a maltipoo.  Since this is a sudden decision I had not researched what these dogs cost. I actually had NO idea. And purchasing a puppy for somewhere around $500-1000 is not going happen.

I am open to adopting an older dog of the right breed and temperment but all my browsing of the websites for shelters isn't turning up anything. 

We want to take our time and not get just any dog but I really really want this to happen for her. She will be over the moon thrilled as we have been saying no way for years. 

I just hope something turns up in the next ten days.   I also  going to need a back up larger gift for a 13 year old who wants nothing else. 

ETA: we found a dog!!!!  My neighbor was traveling out of state and checked the classifieds where she was going and found a 3 year old Maltese/poodle that needed re-homing. She went to meet her and fell in love so grabbed her for me for $200.   She is currently hanging with my neighbor who says she's amazing. Friendly, calm, snuggly, loves riding in the car, potties appropriately etc.  She is going to our vets on Monday to be spayed/shots and possibly to board depending on how she is doing.  It feels like perfect timing since she needs a week to recover from the spay before my kids can play with her. So my vet is happy, my neighbor is happy and I'm in a bit of shock!!! 

Thank you all for your help!

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 22

How exciting!

It sounds like you're looking for a smaller dog. At the shelters around here, small dogs are highly sought after and tend to fly out the door. You might want to contact the shelters and let them know what you're looking for. See if they could give you a heads up if a dog shows up that might match what you want.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Often shelters restrict adoptions around holidays. You might need to do an IOU note for a dog under the tree. 

Check to see if there is a breed rescue for those dogs in your area and talk to them about what you are looking for. Maybe you can fill out all the paperwork in advance?

• Like 4

I like Kareni's suggestion. What an exciting thing it will be when she reads she is getting a dog and she can read a book about feeding and care while you all take your time to select the right dog.

I would also take a look at Breed Rescues. If you are not set on a specific breed, there are wonderful mixed breed dogs that make a great pet.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Be aware that there are animal finder scams out there where you buy a dog and then they start to ask for more and more money for “vet bills “ etc. Buy from places where you can see the dog. 

Good point! Also, avoid Craigslist, as it's a haven for puppy brokers. They get the dogs shipped from puppy mills then come up with some story about how they are finding homes for their aunt's puppies or elderly grandmother or whatever - some sob story about why they don't have the parents for you to see. Often brokers also use stock photos in their ads - you can reverse google the image and find identical ads in other cities all over. 

Or, they will have an ad placed in your city but then say they need to ship the dog to you, at a stupid low price. And of course, you send the money but never get a dog. 

Stick to local rescue groups. 

• Like 5

Ok so the shelters seem to have adoption fees as high or nearly so as Craigslist is listing for new puppies.  Hmmmm whst to do? We may end uo just going with a kitten (she has asked for either/or) but I have been wanting a dog more than a cat. We've had two cats before and could go that route if no dogs find their way to us somehow. Our vet friend is on the lookout for us as well. 

I guess I should go down to a shelter and start the paperwork at least just in case. I've never done this before so not sure what to expect.  While I understand why they restrict, I will be really bummed if we cant find her something. I love Christmas morning surprises so much and now that her dad has finslly agreed I dont want to wait. 

Thanks for your help!

2 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Good point! Also, avoid Craigslist, as it's a haven for puppy brokers. They get the dogs shipped from puppy mills then come up with some story about how they are finding homes for their aunt's puppies or elderly grandmother or whatever - some sob story about why they don't have the parents for you to see. Often brokers also use stock photos in their ads - you can reverse google the image and find identical ads in other cities all over. 

Or, they will have an ad placed in your city but then say they need to ship the dog to you, at a stupid low price. And of course, you send the money but never get a dog. 

Stick to local rescue groups. 

Yeah there are so very suspicious Craigslist adds. Some are really slopy copy/paste jobs that I cant believe anyone falls for. 

1 minute ago, busymama7 said:

Ok so the shelters seem to have adoption fees as high or nearly so as Craigslist is listing for new puppies.  Hmmmm whst to do? We may end uo just going with a kitten (she has asked for either/or) but I have been wanting a dog more than a cat. We've had two cats before and could go that route if no dogs find their way to us somehow. Our vet friend is on the lookout for us as well. 

I guess I should go down to a shelter and start the paperwork at least just in case. I've never done this before so not sure what to expect.  While I understand why they restrict, I will be really bummed if we cant find her something. I love Christmas morning surprises so much and now that her dad has finslly agreed I dont want to wait. 

Thanks for your help!

A pet from a rescue/shelter will already be fully vaccinated (or at least age appropriate vaccines) and be spayed or neutered. Those aren't cheap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pawz4me said:

A pet from a rescue/shelter will already be fully vaccinated (or at least age appropriate vaccines) and be spayed or neutered. Those aren't cheap.

Yes, the shelters basically break even when you include spay/neuter, microchip, worming, etc. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I say buy a bowl, a bed, and some toys. Then tell her that you guys are waiting for the right dog to join the family -- even that she gets to help choose!  I know the feeling of wanting it now, but sometimes that just doesn't happen. Even rescues require letters of rec and home visits. It's for the dog's safety. 

• Like 10

Call the nursing homes around you.  Small dogs are often loved by older people who must give them up when they move to a nursing home.  They might know of someone who needs one. Also call all the vets in your area and mention it.  We have several friends who are vets and all of them have adopted small dogs who were abandoned at their offices at Christmas- some said they just found the dog, others coudn't afford the dog's care.

I would give DD a stuffed dog with a card that says she will be allowed to get a dog, but that just like a marriage this isn't something to rush into, you need to find the right dog. You've budgeted (whatever amount) towards the dog, which can go towards shelter adoption fees or towards purchasing a puppy from a reputable breeder.

Another option is to ask breeders if they have any retired dogs they're willing to put up for adoption.  These are often dogs who have had a few litters but for whatever reason (genetic issue, poor performance in dog shows, just had too many litters) is being retired. They are often 10-30% the price of a puppy, are already very well trained and don't hve behavior issues.

21 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I hesitate to ask this because I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but the pet rescuer in me has to ask . . . You have done some research on how much owning a pet will cost, right?

Yes I know. I just hadn't realized how much they were to purchase. Honestly, we can afford a dog in the $400ish range or even more except that I'm not sure my husband would get over the shock 😬 and he might not agree to spend that much.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Please be aware that it costs at least $100/mo to properly care for a dog. That’s food and vaccinations, etc, spread out over the course of the year. 

Some rescues will cut off adoptions in December, and the logistics of a Christmas morning surprise dog could be tricky. I agree, let her pick in January. 

The reason I dont want her to choose the dog is that she has NEVER met an animal she doesnt love. She's very emotional and gets attached to every animal she sees. She cried for weeks over a dog that we found and held for the owner for a few hours. She still brings that dog up and says how much she misses him.

I feel that someone who is more rational (me) plus my dog loving neighbor who is helping me shouod choose this first dog for her based on what we feel will fit our family and such.

The logistics of surprising her the morning of is handled due to afore mentioned neighbor who is as excited as me that this child is finally getting a dog 😊

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Please be aware that it costs at least $100/mo to properly care for a dog. That’s food and vaccinations, etc, spread out over the course of the year. 

Some rescues will cut off adoptions in December, and the logistics of a Christmas morning surprise dog could be tricky. I agree, let her pick in January. 

How many vaccinations are they required to get? I guess I was under the mistaken notion that there were a few and once they had them all they were done. Do they need shots yearly for their whole life?

24 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

How many vaccinations are they required to get? I guess I was under the mistaken notion that there were a few and once they had them all they were done. Do they need shots yearly for their whole life?

Puppy vaccines of DHPP every 3-4 weeks, so. At 8 weeks, 12 weeks, and 16 weeks about. Working at 8 weeks plus start monthly heart worm prevention then. Rabies vaccine at 16 weeks. Then repeat DHPP and rabies one year later and then every three years for at least rabies. Kennel cough vaccine and leptospirosis vaccines are dependent on risk factors. Same with influenza vaccine. Plus yearly heart worm test and fecal test. 

• Like 3

ok i have found a lead.  3 month old shih tzu female for $300.  i texted them and they said i can come see her tomorrow.  my neighbor will go with me.  what do i need to know?  i can kennel her at my friends vet clinic until closer to christmas but i am a worried that that would be bad emotionally for her.  is she old enough to be spayed while she is there? my neighbor might be willing to keep her that long but i would have to keep my kids away from her house (shes like a grandma to them) 

ok breathe  i know it could be a scam  or maybe someone else will get there first. or a hundred other things but for right now im going to hope above hopes that this will work out  

How old is this dd? Is she old enough to appreciate that selecting the right dog is a process that can take some time? There's a really important learning opportunity there for a child who loves animals. Yes, it's hard to walk away from a sweet dog, but it's so important to demonstrate that, as you say, the decision is best made with careful thought and a cool head. Falling in love with the dog is easy; living with the wrong one is much harder.

Christmas can be an overwhelming time for a new pet to come home, as well.

Exciting presents to get on Christmas morning could include a good book or two, a leash, and a bed. There are some really good documentaries about dogs, including some from Nova:

https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-Dogs-More/dp/B00018U9AW/ref=pd_bxgy_74_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00018U9AW&pd_rd_r=61b0e81f-fe81-11e8-8914-2fb3f3301291&pd_rd_w=R29uX&pd_rd_wg=8mAyh&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=WVHKT7C08Y3M2NEWM1DJ&psc=1&refRID=WVHKT7C08Y3M2NEWM1DJ

Yes, shots are yearly. Also look into the cost of flea and tick and heartworm treatments, which are monthly and can get pricey, though local conditions may let you avoid flea treatment in winter (maybe). Calling a local vet to get an estimate of yearly costs could help you plan.

I hate to diminish your enthusiasm, too, but having had dogs throughout my life, I worry when I see someone think choosing a dog is a quick and easy process. Think of the time you put into planning and selecting the right one as an investment. It will pay off richly over the years of ownership, if you do the thinking carefully now.

When my dds were old enough for us to let them each adopt a dog, we talked *a lot* about what a big responsibility the selection process was. We talked about how we'd visit lots of dogs in shelters, not expecting to bring them home, but because we wanted to learn about different dogs so we could recognize the qualities we needed and the qualities which were not a good fit. We talked about expecting to wait several months to find the right dog. Yes, we had some tears after one visit. But each girl ended up with a dog which was right for her, and they have an important life skill as well. 

I'm not implying your dd needs to be this much a part of the selection process; that may not be right for you and her. But-- I know it's hard-- think it all through carefully yourself. Rushing into selecting a dog may or may not work out. And-- I just read your post about the puppy. Do you know how much work puppies are? 

• Like 1

Yes I do 😳 

I admit to being worried about it but like I said we have been telling her (and our older kids) no for years. We've had 9 babies and I've never felt I could handle a puppy. But now our youngest is 4 and we finally feel the time is right. While it may look like a rash decision, we have been talking about it for 2+ years. It's just that we have finally decided that now is the right time.  She is 13 and I have no doubt that she will a big part in training and such. She wants to be a veterinarian and has been researching dogs for years.   She dog sits for free and walks various neighbors dogs just for fun and for experience. We arent totally naive about this.  

• Like 3

You want to meet at least the mother of the puppy. If he doesn't have the mother there you need to not even go in - it's a scam. You want the mother to be friendly and healthy looking. If dad is there too, same for him. You don't want the dog cowering or hiding, (parents or puppy). You want to know how the puppy has been socialized - has it been around kids? Adults? out on walks or in public? Has it had at least once set of vaccinations and one worming? Is it on the path to being housebroken, and has it been crate trained, paper trained, what?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

ok i have found a lead.  3 month old shih tzu female for $300.  i texted them and they said i can come see her tomorrow.  my neighbor will go with me.  what do i need to know?  i can kennel her at my friends vet clinic until closer to christmas but i am a worried that that would be bad emotionally for her.  is she old enough to be spayed while she is there? my neighbor might be willing to keep her that long but i would have to keep my kids away from her house (shes like a grandma to them) 

ok breathe  i know it could be a scam  or maybe someone else will get there first. or a hundred other things but for right now im going to hope above hopes that this will work out  

Being kenneled would be so stressful for a little baby who has just left her mama and littermates. Plus, she could catch germs there if she's not fully vaccinated - so I absolutely would not do that. Our vet doesn't spay/neuter until at least six months old.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

You want to meet at least the mother of the puppy. If he doesn't have the mother there you need to not even go in - it's a scam. You want the mother to be friendly and healthy looking. If dad is there too, same for him. You don't want the dog cowering or hiding, (parents or puppy). You want to know how the puppy has been socialized - has it been around kids? Adults? out on walks or in public? Has it had at least once set of vaccinations and one worming? Is it on the path to being housebroken, and has it been crate trained, paper trained, what?

They listed by name the vaxes she's had. They aren't breeders so they don't have the parents.  Just someone who is needing to re home.  I realize that could be a scam but if I can go to their house and see the dog?  

ETA: I mean I get being cautious but not all postings are scams. There are people legitimately wanting to re home on there. 

Edited by busymama7

41 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

They listed by name the vaxes she's had. They aren't breeders so they don't have the parents.  Just someone who is needing to re home.  I realize that could be a scam but if I can go to their house and see the dog?  

ETA: I mean I get being cautious but not all postings are scams. There are people legitimately wanting to re home on there. 

So they just got a purebred puppy and need get rid of it already?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Another vote for a shelter dog.   We’ve gotten all 3 of ours from county-run shelters.  One dog, the chihuahua (which was 3lbs at the time) was dropped off at the shelter by the owner.  The other two dogs we got were both picked up as strays.   Our three have been the absolute best dogs ever.  All mutts, except possibly the chihuahua.  I swear they all seem so grateful to have a home.  Anyway, like I said, another shelter vote.  We’ll never get a cat or dog from anywhere but the shelter.  (Except for the stray cats that seem to find us, lol)

Except for the fact that apparently they won't adopt near the holidays so it's not an option. I am looking for a breeder but have found only one and her dogs are $1200-1500.  

Yes waiting is an option and we wont get one at all unless we find the right one. But I have good reasons for wanting to surprise her instead of letting her choose not the least of which is that I want the breed I want and not what strikes her fancy (which would be anything on 4 legs)

• Like 1

Why are you so determined to get a puppy of this breed? Where we are, adult dogs from the shelter are adopted at reduced rates, and for older adults (I think it's six years and up) the fee drops down to $50. That's what we paid when we got our poodle. (We're also the ones who brought him there. It would've been cheaper to just keep him when we found him... again... but given the situation with his neglectful previous owners we felt it was better to cover our behinds, do it all legally. I'm still angry at those people and it's been a year and a half now! How the heck do you fail to adequately feed a toy poodle!?)

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Terabith said:

Have you confirmed that the shelter won't adopt near the holidays?  

Not yet. Just going off what everyone is saying here.  I just got the go ahead from my husband yesterday. I am planning to go tomorrow or Friday to talk to them but I haven't found any small dogs like I want on any of the websites. I'm not sure how well they keep them updated though so it is worth a shot.

4 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I just hope something turns up in the next ten days.

I don't know if you've read this, but the BIGGEST ADVICE for dog success is NOT to get a dog for Christmas... The reason is the dog needs to wee and someone needs to go out and do it. And I admit I've been looking at dog listings, wondering if I could find a bigger dog to add to our household for ds. But every time I look I'm like yeah and you remember what they say about not doing it at Christmas...

I would get her something else and take your time. Meet the parents of the dog first, see how the dogs turn out. Nuts, I've even read there will be an influx of dogs into shelters after Christmas as people realize the mistake they've made taking on dogs right when it's hardest to care for them.

Can she volunteer at a shelter and learn about dogs while you watch for the right one? Tell her you want to and start watching the Petfinder listings together! There are breed-specific rescues. If you watch for a bit and are willing to jump through their hoops (which can include a home inspection, etc.), you can get a dog for the price you want.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Why are you so determined to get a puppy of this breed? Where we are, adult dogs from the shelter are adopted at reduced rates, and for older adults (I think it's six years and up) the fee drops down to $50. That's what we paid when we got our poodle. (We're also the ones who brought him there. It would've been cheaper to just keep him when we found him... again... but given the situation with his neglectful previous owners we felt it was better to cover our behinds, do it all legally. I'm still angry at those people and it's been a year and a half now! How the heck do you fail to adequately feed a toy poodle!?)

I am not looking at only one breed. I've listed several options. I am specifically looking at a small breed and a hypoallergenic one. I had a toy poodle growing up and like those fine.  I adore my neighbors shih tzu and want one just like her 😊  my vet suggested shih tzu or maltipoo.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

I haven't found any small dogs like I want on any of the websites.

Yeah, you have to act superfast to find small dogs and special breeds. The breed rescues snatch those dogs up VERY QUICKLY, presumably because many shelters are kill shelters.

The other tip I have for you is to be cynical about ages listed by shelters. We adopted a dog that way years ago and we LOVED the dog, but the vet LAUGHED when we told him the age they had said. He was much older, which made him a lovely, easy to get used to dog, but it also meant he passed sooner than we would have wished. 

3 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

a hypoallergenic one.

All dogs have dander, including dogs that are "hypoallergenic" or have hair. I have a miniature schnauzer, and I have to be very careful to keep the floors swept, etc. I think the advice to go *small* is wise, because it minimizes what's coming off and makes him easier to wash. Frequent washing helps. But as far as actually being hypoallergenic, well you have to be willing to live with the consequences if the dog *does* bother the person. 

• Like 3

I would worry about a three month old puppy supposedly being rehomed and not being able to meet the doggie parents or the breeder. Why do they not want her? I just adopted a puppy this summer, and our breeder gave us a bunch of information. I would ask to see the info they received from their breeder.

Also, many breeders have clauses in the contract that the breeder must be contacted first if the puppy needs to be rehomed. So it seems suspicious that this puppy would be available. I would worry it might be stolen from the real owners, and I would not adopt if I could not confirm ownership in some way.

• Like 9