Menu

Calico Critters for 10.5 year old?

alisoncooks

Would you start a Calico Critters collection for a 10.5 year old? This child asked for them last Christmas but had enough other wishes that I didn't purchase any. Plus, I was thinking she was borderline "too old." Fast forward to this year: child puts CC as her main wish list item. This kiddo is young acting (lots of imaginative play, loves Legos but mainly for the tiny parts and play-acting the characters). Calico Critters are pricey -- and they're more fun if you have several sets. 

What are your kiddos' fave CC sets?  I already bought the Lil Woodzeez (Target) Bakery and Farmer's Market (they have lots of tiny accessories) but in general I prefer the aesthetics of Calico Critters for the houses and families. (Shameless brag alert: I scored an awesome deal and got both the above sets for $35 total, shipped. Woot!)  Is the house worth buying if she already has a dollhouse? This one: https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-First-Dollhouse-Amazon-Exclusive/dp/B00JC3MP2M  (That's really babyish compared to the CC house. Maybe it's time to upgrade....She does use the other for animal toys/Schleichs).

PS. Please tell me your "older" (10-12?) child still plays with these. Then maybe I won't feel so bad splurging on them!

Thanks all. I believe I'll go for it. Trying to decide what to get now (without making it look like Santa loves her waaay more than her sister, lol). 

Follow up question: Should Santa leave everything in the original packaging or should it all be opened and set up for immediate play on Christmas morning??  All those little pieces are wrapped up like crazy!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

Thanks all. I believe I'll go for it. Trying to decide what to get now (without making it look like Santa loves her waaay more than her sister, lol). 

Follow up question: Should Santa leave everything in the original packaging or should it all be opened and set up for immediate play on Christmas morning??  All those little pieces are wrapped up like crazy!

Leave it in the package is my call.  But as a parent, my favorite part of Christmas morning is sitting on the couch with dh, drinking our coffees, and watching the kids dig into all that packaging. 

• Like 3

My daughter is still nine but I have shamelessly encouraged the collection because *I* like them so much!! All of the sets are so detailed and intricate that it seems to me that adult collectors would appreciate them. I would think that a girl would continue to enjoy Calico Critters even after she has outgrown playing with them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Here's what I'm thinking: if I set it all up ahead of time, then I get to play with it a little bit by myself, lol. 😄 Maybe I'll set up the house, but wrap some of the extras, like the bakery. 

I would wrap everything individually, so your dd will get lots of little, fun surprises. And setting up the house herself might make Christmas even more special for her.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mergath said:

My dd is ten and has a huge collection of Lil' Woodzeez, which are basically the exact same thing but less eighties looking and about half the price. 😂 https://woodzeez.com/

I'd leave them in the packaging. My dd's favorite part when she gets a new set is taking all the little bits and pieces out of the package.

I agree!

And Lil’ Woodzeez are super cute, too!

I am 55 years old and I still want all the toys.

(Clearly, I have issues.)

• Like 3

It's killing me not to get them for my youngest this year. She has love playing with older DD's small doll house that is all beat up, a nd I'm sure she'd LOVE CC. But...she's not even two years old. And would probably swallow a rabbit or something, right? I have to hold off, right?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

It's killing me not to get them for my youngest this year. She has love playing with older DD's small doll house that is all beat up, a nd I'm sure she'd LOVE CC. But...she's not even two years old. And would probably swallow a rabbit or something, right? I have to hold off, right?

My not yet 2 year old ds, he'll be 2 on jan 2, loves playing with the set my almost 4 year old has. He's never been one to put things in his mouth though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

My not yet 2 year old ds, he'll be 2 on jan 2, loves playing with the set my almost 4 year old has. He's never been one to put things in his mouth though.

In the last hour mine has spit out a rock and a saint medallion. So..yeah...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My dd loved Calico Critters and was still playing with them at 12 or 13 (possibly even 14). 🙂  My aunt, who recently passed away, was a quilter and for Christmas one year, she made a whole bunch of teeny, tiny quilts and pillows for dd's Calico Critters.  All of that stuff, along with our Playmobil collection, is definitely being kept for any future grandkids. 🙂

Oh!  And dd (who is in her first year of university) was wandering through some stores the other day, sent me a picture of a whole wall of Calico Critter stuff, and texts that she was SO excited when she saw the wall.  Apparently, 18 is still not too old to be excited about Calico Critters. 😄

• Like 2

I feel like I need to explain why dd never got them 🤣  When she was little, they weren't mainstream.  We only found them in odd little toy and hobby stores and they were quite expensive.  I feel like they are more reasonable now?  Am I right in this?  She is 16 and she used to drool over them when she was 6-8. By the time they were popular and less money, I thought she'd outgrown them. I bought some for my goddaughter for her birthday and dd's face 🤣  She said "this is like a preview of what it will be like when you have grandkids right?"  

• Like 2

On 12/6/2018 at 9:19 AM, Mothersweets said:

Oh my goodness those are darling! I need grandchildren for an excuse to buy those!

Shoot, my grand daughter is all of 2 weeks old and it's all I can do to not click on the purchase button. I hope these are still popular when she's old enough to play with them because they are too darn cute.

• Like 3

Yep, I got that one last week, plus a couple more inexpensive sets! (There was a kitchen set was also about $8.)  They had the starter house for $17 last week, but now it has jumped to $24.

Truth be told, once I decided to get her the CCs, I went a little overboard. I finally cut myself off last night, after spending more than I'd planned on a couple of eBay lots (mostly tiny food stuffs). 

😮😮

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2018 at 9:18 AM, heartlikealion said:

It happens! Lol I let dd use birthday money to get that add on deal. Wow $17 is a great deal on Cozy Cottage. 

The deal is back! https://www.amazon.com/Calico-Critters-Roof-Cozy-Cottage/dp/B078HPHZTH/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VH05TJ4J95GY7QSGHR5D

I don't really need it for Christmas, but I got it anyway. Might tuck it away for her birthday in June. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

The deal is back! https://www.amazon.com/Calico-Critters-Roof-Cozy-Cottage/dp/B078HPHZTH/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VH05TJ4J95GY7QSGHR5D

I don't really need it for Christmas, but I got it anyway. Might tuck it away for her birthday in June. 

My 8 yr old convinced me the toddler needs this :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

You're killing me, Smalls! I'm running all the little girls in our family through my mind to see who could use this. I can't think of one but I still seriously want to buy it for "one day". You know that day in the future you think will magically appear but in the mean time you've completely forgotten about buying it? Yeah, that day. 😏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

So I bought the cozy cottage. Now is there any reasoning for which family I should get to put in it? Or just whatever one I want?

Well, it comes with a lady bunny. Maybe just buy her the twin bunny babies cause they're super cheap ($7@Walmart). 

ETA: ah, technically it's the little girl bunny it comes with. 

Edited by alisoncooks

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

My daughter has the Hopscoth bunny family and twins but the one of the bunnies is identical. 

For toddler— warning there are utensils and bread?? Omlet?? Mystery food that is tiny you may want to set aside. 

Tonight my 4 yr old did all kinds of bad things. You think they’ve grown out of these things and then they prove you wrong. She got down my craft for ds and painted over it. I know some paint was in her reach but I don’t think all of it was. I also must have left out scissors... I thought I put away so not sure if she had to get on a stool... and she cut some of her hair. So far I can’t see any significant damage. I just washed it. 

I bought a Duggee “squirrel clubhouse” toy (not Calico Critters) for a family with a baby and 5 yr old girl. No small parts. Says ages 2 and up. Found at Tuesday Morning for $10. Apparently it’s based on a show.

Now I want a squirrel clubhouse. That sounds like the cutest thing ever!