Menu

Distract me from anxious worry while I wait for doctor call

Ginevra

I don’t know if this is a big deal or a, “Pffft! That’s nothing!” thing. I do have a call in to my doctor. 

My surgery was three weeks ago. All healing has been going as expected. I continue to wear a square gauze pad over my incision sites, to prevent my bra (still the compression sports-style bra that zips in front) will not rub. But this morning, there were two blood spots on the gauze. Maybe totalling 1/2 - 1 teaspoon if it were collected. I took a shower and placed a fresh gauze. It is still seeping a little bit of pinkish fluid. 

What does Dr. Hive think? 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, texasmom33 said:

Did you by any chance sleep on that side last night? Wondering if you had a little pocket that drained out. It’s clear with no pus or odor or anything, correct? 

I do not think I did unless I did it inadvetantly for some period of time. 

No pus, but some of the stainings were yellowish, so Im not sure. I dont notice an odor. 

No idea; praying it's nothing. 

I'm busy anxiously waiting on my oldest son's college acceptance to post. He applied to a Really Big Texas School (not in Austin, ahem) *as a transfer student starting in the Spring. As in, January* and we still don't know for sure. BUT.....DH is on a forum for other people waiting to find out, and "the sign" everyone watches for is when the tabs at the top of the application portal go from having 3 tabs of info to 6 tabs of info.....apparently, once that happens, you're in. DS's went to 6 tabs yesterday AND this morning the myHousing portal was opened so we did his housing application. All of which are good signs, but until that page shows "accepted" we won't really let out that breath we are all collectively holding....

Not that my waiting in any way compares to your waiting, but you said distract you, so I"m attempting that......will spend time praying for your doctor call to be good news. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Glad you called, but it’s probably nothing. Did you increase your activity level yesterday? Especially on that side?  Hope they call back soon- worrying can be so exhausting. 

I have been gradually getting back to usual activity, but Friday was the longest day so far because I went to co-op. 

I did get a couple groceries yesterday, which were moderately heavy, but it wasn’t extreme. So I dont know. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

If it's not red and there's no odor it's likely nothing. Glad you called doctor to make sure though.

It’s a little bit red at the corner of the incision, which is presumably where it leaked. I don’t know, though...I would think the skin adhesive had done its job by now and no “holes” would remain at thos point. 

1 minute ago, school17777 said:

How is your healing going otherwise?  Do you still have restrictions such as lifting, etc?

Are you able to make your pie for T-day?

I am still restricted not to lift over 5-10lbs. I continue to do PT exercises but am frustrated by not getting full range of motion back on left side. I am not pain-free, either, which is disappointing. 

I can make pie and sweet potatoes unless they give me some new restrictions due to this. Im not making homemade crust; Im using premade roll-out dough. DD is home from college. If worse comes to worst, she could take over. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Quill said:

It’s a little bit red at the corner of the incision, which is presumably where it leaked. I don’t know, though...I would think the skin adhesive had done its job by now and no “holes” would remain at thos point. 

Not necessarily, especially not if you were carrying heavy groceries yesterday.  Some people have fluid collect after surgery for months. It could be a sign of infection though.  Do you have any extra pain or tenderness?  A fever?  Do you feel ok?

Hugs, glad you called but it sounds like it might be related to increased activity so don’t worry too much.  

Now the only distracting thing I can think of......my kids are really excited to go Black Friday shopping, which cracks me up.  Neither are shoppers but they want to see the nutty lines and masses of people for themselves!

• Haha 1

From what I understand, there's always extra fluid after a surgery...  It either needs to eventually make its way out, or the body absorbs it.  After one of my dh's surgeries, he suddenly had extra fluid that forced its way out through the incision area.  Of course we panicked, but it was nothing.   (His was tinged with blood, too, and actually probably 3 weeks or so post surgery.)  Another thing I've learned about surgeries...  They heal bottom up.  So, while it may look like things are healing on the outside, there is probably still a lot of healing going on deep within.  Sometimes that forces out fluid unexpectedly.  As the healing works its way up, that happens less and less.  

Speaking of pies, my dd is making a purple sweet potato pie this year for Thanksgiving, with gingerbread!  This is what it's supposed to look like...

IMG_0740.PNG

• Like 10

Distractions:

Puppy video for you (don't tease my kid!)

Amusing kitty litter ad

I think everything is probably fine. Praying here!

And BTW, I find myself irritated a couple times a day at your SIL. Who asks someone recovering from major surgery  to bring ANYTHING for Thanksgiving?!?  

Edited by MercyA
Fixed link!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scbusf said:

Also waiting on a doctor. We are in the waiting room to see DD8’s cleft surgeon. He is going to tell us if her major bone graft surgery back in August worked. If it didn’t, we will have to do it again. 

Hoping for the best outcome! 

5 minutes ago, scbusf said:

Also waiting on a doctor. We are in the waiting room to see DD8’s cleft surgeon. He is going to tell us if her major bone graft surgery back in August worked. If it didn’t, we will have to do it again. 

Praying for you, too! Please let us know how things went when you have a chance. 

@J-rap, I accidentally made potato soup from those purple sweet potatoes once; it was so good! I hadn't expected the purple, because in Brazil we had sweet potatoes that were purple outside but regular colored inside. So, back here, I bought what I thought were the same kind, and only once I cut into them did I realize they were purple inside too. Oops! But everyone loved it, thank goodness (and now they all tease me when it's not purple.....). 

The pie looks like it will be fabulous and festive; enjoy!

• Like 1

[Removed my first link because a few of the "design fails" might be trigger-y for some people. But in general I recommend Bored Panda for anyone in need of a distraction!]

And if home design failures / questionable choices amuse you, there is this Instagram account:

https://www.instagram.com/pleasehatethesethings/?hl=en

In general I don't care for people poking fun at other people's things, but these are (mostly) from public real estate and Craigslist listings and many are very...interesting. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Haha 2

I haven't had a lumpectomy, but I had breast reduction surgery a few years ago, and that kind of discharge and blood in small amounts happened every so often for several weeks and was not a big deal at all.  Just part of the healing process.  

Here's an interesting article I just read about analyzing artifacts and books to find out more about the people who used/ wrote them and what they ate, if they were sick, what they were wearing.  Seriously crazy stuff!   https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/11/26/do-proteins-hold-the-key-to-the-past?mbid=nl_Magazine+Daily+List+111919&CNDID=25389550&utm_source=nl&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Magazine+Daily+List+111919&utm_content&utm_brand=tny&utm_mailing=Magazine+Daily+List+111919&hasha=fd1dea8fe6a6443248eb07083a22b460&hashb=0cbabe2f4c0d52734b556a96f00468e7dab5c230&spMailingID=14648616&spUserID=MTMzMTgyNjgzODkzS0&spJobID=1521503479&spReportId=MTUyMTUwMzQ3OQS2&fbclid=IwAR3vRk1bYFGMy6UiL0W_AT4Cn6hEU4ExZiD16VaBhPABcgTF3Qhc0wv0pAA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

Praying for you, too! Please let us know how things went when you have a chance. 

Got semi-great news today. Surgeon said that most of the bone graft took. He thinks we may have to do the surgery again, but in a couple of years and it will be a much smaller hole that he needs to graft bone into. So the news could have been much worse - I'll take it!

• Like 18

55 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

No word from your doc yet, Quill?

I don't have anything distracting to add, but I've been thinking about you all day. There's nothing more stressful than waiting on news.

No. I didn’t get a call back today. 🤔 Maybe that means my issue is totally normal and not even interesting. Or it might mean they’re short-staffed this week. Or the new girl accidently erased the message when she tried to replay it. 

It hasn’t seemed of any consequence today; it was a little seepy this morning but no more bleeding. 

In other news, my mom had a trach/lung biopsy today, so that has been on my mind today. And dd just left to go retrieve ds19 from college for break; she offered so I could rest here. 🙂 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Quill said:

No. I didn’t get a call back today. 🤔 Maybe that means my issue is totally normal and not even interesting. Or it might mean they’re short-staffed this week. Or the new girl accidently erased the message when she tried to replay it. 

It hasn’t seemed of any consequence today; it was a little seepy this morning but no more bleeding. 

In other news, my mom had a trach/lung biopsy today, so that has been on my mind today. And dd just left to go retrieve ds19 from college for break; she offered so I could rest here. 🙂 

I would bet that means they don't see it as urgent. No news is good news, as they say.

Prayers for you and your mom. Sounds like you have a great support system at home!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

Now I want someone to try the cat litter and report back.....

I looked up a review on YouTube just for you. I don't know if they've fixed the odor issue (as that review is a year old), but that seems to be the biggest complaint. (ETA: Watched two more recent reviews. One said there wasn't much of a smell, but there was definitely more dust, so I wonder if they changed the mix a bit to try to deal with the smell. The other said there was still a smell issue. People also pointed out that the material sticks to the bottom of the litter box.) Great idea, but not ready for mainstream yet, especially at that price.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1