Menu

If you live in the UK

ktgrok

When do stores/people start decorating for Christmas? Here in the USA it is considered tacky to do it before Thanksgiving, but since other countries don't have that issue I'm curious as to when it all starts. (not trying to get into advent vs Christmas, just in general, when do people put up their home decorations, or stores start to decorate, etc?)

20 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Huh. Interesting. I mean, they were putting up the lights when I was at the zoo today. I think lots of places do it before Thanksgiving, but it is seen as tacky.

I'm curious when other countries do it too. Like, Australia and so forth.

Things might have changed since I left Australia 17.5 years ago, but back then some people would put their tree up at the beginning of November. Others would be closer to Christmas (esp. anyone who had a real tree). I don’t remember what the towns/shops did.

• Like 1

Christmas sweets were appearing back in September in supermarkets, as in an aisle devoted to Christmas goodies.  Christmas concerts should be starting soon.  Lights can go up anytime but most places turn it to a bit of an event.....Our village has a big street party when the big tree is has it’s lights turned on with late night shopping, food booths, .......which normally falls on Thanksgiving.  That obviously has created years of conflict for our family. ?  I think trees are a December thing for most but several keep them up until Twelfth night, so through first week of January.

• Like 1

When we arrived at our hotel at a town outside London on November 3rd last year, we were surprised to see a (lit) Christmas tree. (It was cosy, b/c it was dark and dreary outside; we didn't mind!) Yes, it's considered taboo to decorate in the U.S. until after Thanksgiving, but as you say, they don't have that natural barrier (although many of them knew of our Thanksgiving observance, which also surprised me – some people decorating a UK museum for Christmas in early November were chatting with us and mentioned how they didn't have Thanksgiving). And yes, there was a lot of Christmas merchandise in stores already in early November.

They also have "black Friday" in the UK now (sigh) – apparently Amazon introduced it a few years ago and of course other merchants followed suit. That is also (here) a Thanksgiving-dependent holiday ... (In Romania a few years ago we were surprised to see "Black Friday" sales that lasted for th entire month of November!)

The pretty street lights in London on Oxford Street, etc. were installed by mid-November, but I think they don't light them until late in November. Not sure, though.

In in the UK. The big supermarkets get Christmas stuff in from about the beginning of November.  I live in a small rural town and the local shops vary a lot. Usually, they don't actually decorate their premises until December though. Street decorations turn on in my town on the first Friday in December. There's a Victorian evening that has a light turn on, community tree decorating competition etc.  The huge shopping centres in big cities will be really early though, they exploit it as much as possible. 

Edited by lailasmum

Colombia:  The stores I go in are selling Christmas Trees (live Xmas trees are illegal in Colombia) and other things for Christmas.  I would be shocked, if anyone here (store or home or other) has put up their Xmas trees and decorations so early (08 NOV 2018)

Canada: it’s a *little* tacky to decorate before Remembrance Day (Nov 11) because that day is not a ‘happy’ type of holiday.

However, it’s not really a rule. People who love Christmas enough to decorate in early November assume that most veterans love Christmas too! It’s more that public places (where people might hold Remembrance observances) refrain from creating a winter wonderland that might seem incongruous.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

When do stores/people start decorating for Christmas? Here in the USA it is considered tacky to do it before Thanksgiving, but since other countries don't have that issue I'm curious as to when it all starts. (not trying to get into advent vs Christmas, just in general, when do people put up their home decorations, or stores start to decorate, etc?)

It's tacky to decorate before Thanksgiving?  Man tell that to all the stores that started decorating before Halloween!  Yesterday, in the neighborhood someone had put lights out front.  My brother and sil put their tree up in September, apparently it is a thing in the Philippines.

• Like 3

Generally here in Canada it is considered rude to really do it before Nov 11, Rememberance Day.  You will see shops putting up lights and stuff before, but not usually lit up.  Shops like Dollarama start putting Christmas items on the shelf as soon as Halloween is done or even a little before.  And I've seen eggnog and fruit cake and such in the shop that long as well.  

Like a lot of places, it seems to get earlier and earlier, and also more focused on spending.  And it shuts down fast, the day after Boxing day (St Stephen's Day) usually.  It's like the whole thing is front loaded to maximise money spent.

24 minutes ago, bolt. said:

Canada: it’s a *little* tacky to decorate before Remembrance Day (Nov 11) because that day is not a ‘happy’ type of holiday.

However, it’s not really a rule. People who love Christmas enough to decorate in early November assume that most veterans love Christmas too! It’s more that public places (where people might hold Remembrance observances) refrain from creating a winter wonderland that might seem incongruous.

Agree.  Though I would say *a lot* tacky.

26 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Generally here in Canada it is considered rude to really do it before Nov 11, Rememberance Day.  You will see shops putting up lights and stuff before, but not usually lit up.  Shops like Dollarama start putting Christmas items on the shelf as soon as Halloween is done or even a little before.  And I've seen eggnog and fruit cake and such in the shop that long as well.  

Like a lot of places, it seems to get earlier and earlier, and also more focused on spending.  And it shuts down fast, the day after Boxing day (St Stephen's Day) usually.  It's like the whole thing is front loaded to maximise money spent.

I think Remembrance Day is probably the line when decorations in shop decorations are lit etc too in the UK.  We had Christmas pudding and mince pies available back in September.  I actually bought Dd a single serving pudding because after seeing it she was craving it!

• Like 3

I definitely decorate from St. Nicholas day until Epiphany but usually start decorating at Thanksgiving. (US)

However, I'm sort of shocked at the tacky comments.  I see a lot of people with Christmas decorations starting in November.  Also, the biggest Christmas light event around here starts mid November.  I'm not sure why it's tacky to do your own thing.

23 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I definitely decorate from St. Nicholas day until Epiphany but usually start decorating at Thanksgiving. (US)

However, I'm sort of shocked at the tacky comments.  I see a lot of people with Christmas decorations starting in November.  Also, the biggest Christmas light event around here starts mid November.  I'm not sure why it's tacky to do your own thing.

I think the definition of tacky is essentially "in bad taste" with a certain sense often that it is out of ignorance or lack of culture.

With early Christmas decorating, I think a few things make people think too-early decorating is tacky:

1 - if it begins to crowd out other holidays or important observances - Christmas decorations at Remembrance Day seems pretty out of place, but even for Thanksgiving seems to crowd out a holiday with a different purpose.  And while it's less thought of now, it also rather crowds out Advent which is actually related to Christmas.  Those all could be seen as tone deaf and perhaps ignorant.

2 - I think many people see the creeping of Christmas as related pretty clearly to consumerism, and consumerism is pretty tacky, if it's not self-aware.  If it is self-aware then many people would think it's worse than tacky, it's exploitative.

3 - Too much of a good thing tends to undermine the good thing.

• Like 4

I understand what is meant by tacky.  I also understand the possible arguments against decorating in November.

Tacky is such a *judgemental* word for something as innocent as decorating your home for a holiday.  Again, I'm not sure why it is "in bad taste" "ignorant" or "lacking culture" to do your own thing and put up Christmas decorations whenever you want.

No judgement needed to say: "I think decorating before Thanksgiving is too early/is too much of a good thing/overshadows other holidays."  It is the use of a judgemental word that makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

My daughter spent almost 2 years in Denmark. where Christmas is a big big deal. She said Christmas decorating began in the fall, definitely by early November but October is not too early.  She loved it!  It was such a big national holiday that really brought people together as the days got colder and shorter.  So much Hygge!  (ps please don't say hi-gee, it is pronounced more like hoo-gah and means something like cozy, but so much more!) 

I think the Danish or at least Scandinavians sort of invented Christmas, right? and if they say you can decorate in October then that's okay with me!  (but we wait until December at our house)  Halloween and Thanksgiving are not really big there, so there's nothing holding them back.

The Danish have Little Christmas (Christmas Eve) and Little Little Christmas (Dec 23rd) and even 2nd Christmas (dec 26)!

Nisse (Nisser = plural) are naughty little Danish elves and they were around long long before Elf on a Shelf!

Oh Denmark!  Makes me want to start making some little red and white heart decorations!!  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

I love this thread. Now I can claim that I'm not tacky...I'm following European tradition! 

(Says the woman who's chafing because I've not yet pulled my Christmas containers down from the attic...)

I have some Danish ancestry so I think I need to decorate early this year!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

I think Remembrance Day is probably the line when decorations in shop decorations are lit etc too in the UK.  We had Christmas pudding and mince pies available back in September.  I actually bought Dd a single serving pudding because after seeing it she was craving it!

I crave it too! I love Christmas pudding with cream and custard on!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I understand what is meant by tacky.  I also understand the possible arguments against decorating in November.

Tacky is such a *judgemental* word for something as innocent as decorating your home for a holiday.  Again, I'm not sure why it is "in bad taste" "ignorant" or "lacking culture" to do your own thing and put up Christmas decorations whenever you want.

No judgement needed to say: "I think decorating before Thanksgiving is too early/is too much of a good thing/overshadows other holidays."  It is the use of a judgemental word that makes no sense to me.

It's a communal celebration, so there are norms associated with it.  If people decorated for no apparent reason in April, it wouldn't be tacky, it would just be weird.  For things that are really just about doing your own thing, that wouldn't apply in the same way.  Once it becomes a communal thing, it becomes possible to do something in a way that seems clueless.

I don't think most people mind the stuff that is more seasonal, or pre-Christmassy.  Lights, or winter themed things, aren't even always directly about Christmas.  What they really dislike is the push to buy, buy buy and maybe incessant Christmas music.  Most of the push to make it earlier is about getting people to spend more, I don't find it strange that people find that upsetting, or think people buying into it is a little clueless.  They use the decorations etc to further those ends, and it seems to taint the whole thing, so much so it's not unusual to find people that despise all of it, even the Christmas turkey.

I will also say that although I don't mind secularized religious holidays, it does bother me that actually observing Advent is made almost impossible for people who observe it as a religious holiday because of the way Christmas is blared at us for two months before the 25th.  And by the time it comes, when the actual Christmas season is just starting, I want to be done with most of it.  And it's not because people have even made some decision to make that happen, it's just following the push from capitalists to reshape Christmas not as a secular holiday, but as a holiday for the religion of consumerism.  And that does seem tacky.

• Like 2

Christmas meals out are a BIG deal in the England and restaurants start advertising the menu and to book in early summer.  By that I mean every group you belong to schedules a lunch or dinner out in December.  These are full meals with a Turkey Dinner almost always being a choice.  Not cheap, figure £15 to £30 an event without drinks.  A few years ago I knew someone who had booked one nearly every day in December,  mostly Turkey.  By the 15th she was complaining!  The most I have ever done is Two, plenty imo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

It's tacky to decorate before Thanksgiving?  Man tell that to all the stores that started decorating before Halloween!  Yesterday, in the neighborhood someone had put lights out front.  My brother and sil put their tree up in September, apparently it is a thing in the Philippines.

Yeah, around here, there is a general “it’s tacky” vibe and I have heard of at least one retailer who supposedly never decorates before Thanksgiving (Nordstrom), HOWEVER, Christmas merchandise is in full swing by Halloween and lots of places do decorate (inc. private homes) in early November. 

Some retailers seem like they are decorated for Christmas just due to merchandise (Costco, Michaels). With Michaels, the Christmas merchandise goes out so early that by Black Friday end of day there will be virtually nothing left except the ugliest discounted garbage. (Hey, maybe the poop emoji Christmas decor will still be sitting there!) 

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

To clarify, I meant the general public consensus is that it is tacky, not that I personally think so. In fact...my purpose in this thread was to get ammunition to explain why it isn't tacky to do it early, lol. I used to be a "never before thanksgiving" person, but I've changed my ways. Christmas = joy and hope to me, and as I age I need more of that than before I think. Now we go get our tree the day before Thanksgiving, and I'm perfectly happy to have Christmas stuff out AND Thanksgiving stuff at the same time. Just not all of it, or it would all clash, lol. I also have already started using the Relaxing Christmas station on amazon as my kids' fall asleep music ? Sincerly, no offense was meant. I'm with Linda on this one. 

uur7ntuafcvz.jpg

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

I love this thread. Now I can claim that I'm not tacky...I'm following European tradition! 

(Says the woman who's chafing because I've not yet pulled my Christmas containers down from the attic...)

that's the argument I'm trying to make with my husband, lol. 

• Like 4

When we lived in eastern Canada, everyone came down here to shop over the Veterans Day/ Remembrance Day weekend and during the Thanksgiving long weekend. Definitely plenty of Christmas stuff was out there already, too. I'm not surprised that countries without a preceding holiday "barrier" would start earlier than the US. 

I haven't seen much out here yet. It's not unusual for the town to hang lights by early November though, because the weather can turn anytime and make it much more difficult. They don't light them until after Thanksgiving, I don't think. 

I have twinkly fairy lights lit from October on through at least March. Twinkly lights are another thing altogether in places where it's dark by 4 pm. Ugh. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

We live where it snows (our first measurable snow arrives tonight) and nearly everyone tries to have outside decorations up by mid-November. Also, a lot of families gather at Thanksgiving instead of Christmas so lots of folks I know will have their tree up by then.  I love that idea!  I never thought having decorations up early was tacky but still turning on your outside Christmas light and stuff in February might be. 

I don't think it is tacky, I think it is annoying as heck though (referring only to decorating and the post Halloween push in the public spaces, it would be very silly to get annoyed at what people do in their own homes lol- no judgement there!)

For me, it is a religious holiday and all the early hype is definitely overt commercialization.  And it makes Christmas seem less special if I have been experiencing it for two months already.  

My tactic is to basically ignore it until December.  I don't turn on any Christmas music or do any decorating until I am officially ready for the season.  I dislike the cultural norm of the Christmas season beginning the day after Thanksgiving with Black Friday.  I don't really agree with the message that the beginning of the Christmas season is all about sales and shopping.  So I typically wait for Advent.

Edited by CaliforniaDreamin
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, CaliforniaDreamin said:

For me, it is a religious holiday and all the early hype is definitely overt commercialization.  And it makes Christmas seem less special if I have been experiencing it for two months already.  

My tactic is to basically ignore it until December.  I don't turn on any Christmas music or do any decorating until I am officially ready for the season.  I dislike the cultural norm of the Christmas season beginning the day after Thanksgiving with Black Friday.  I don't really agree with the message that the beginning of the Christmas season is all about sales and shopping.  So I typically wait for Advent.

I get this. It's a religious holiday for me as well (as in, I generally cry in gratitude at Christmas Eve Mass...it's just such a beautiful expression of love). But it's kind of for that reason that I've become okay with extending it....not for the gift part, but because Christmas is a time of hope and joy and peace, and lately I need that reminder that all will be well. I need that rejoicing. 

And i totally hear you about Black Friday. We do a bit of online shopping on that day, just to stretch our budget a bit, but in a relaxed way with a cup of coffee while snuggling with my husband.  A few years my sister actually cut our Thanksgiving celebration short in order to go hit sales and it really REALLY upset me. The "be grateful for all your blessings - now quick go buy more stuff" message is not okay with me.  We do go out and shop on that Saturday, which is part of the sale at Target, but that's not for us. We do Angel Tree gifts most years, and by going during that sale we can get more stuff for the Angel Tree kids. We try to make that the first gift buying that our kids see, and they go with us. It turns into a big festive trip for the family, complete with holiday coffee drinks. I also don't have a problem with those who are shopping that day not out of greed but because those sales mean they can afford things for their kids, when otherwise they couldn't. (but wish the shops did the sale another time). My good friend goes with her family Black Friday morning and it makes a big difference in her budget, plus she enjoys the family time with her mom and sister as a tradition. So although I REALLY wish it was less commercial, I have worked HARD at being non judgemental about it. And realizing that my dislike of the whole mess is not real virtue, given that I HATE shoppingi with a passion, so it is easy for me to not participate. 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 6:45 AM, WendyAndMilo said:

What do you mean by “invented Christmas”? I’m half Danish and I’ve never heard that...

I said "sort of invented Christmas" ?  To me, it feels like a lot of the Christmas traditions that we have today, originated in Denmark and other Scandinavian countries.  That's all.  I'm not a historian and I don't know all the much about the history or Christmas except from children's books that I read to my children - here's an article that I just found, not sure how accurate it is, but it is interesting:  https://www.finedininglovers.com/stories/history-christmas-scandinavia/

The land of ice and snow, of warm-huddle-fires and reindeer, Scandinavia is as close to the Christmas idyll as one can get, and certainly more approachable and cuddly than the North Pole itself.

In fact a surprising number of general Western Christmas habits owe their origins toScandinavian Christmas traditions, some of which are actually of pagan origin.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 9:34 AM, Lanny said:

Colombia:  The stores I go in are selling Christmas Trees (live Xmas trees are illegal in Colombia) and other things for Christmas.  I would be shocked, if anyone here (store or home or other) has put up their Xmas trees and decorations so early (08 NOV 2018)

Why are live Christmas trees illegal?

• Like 1

Shops have decorations up and the major Christmas pageant has already been.  Raffle tickets for Christmas hampers are getting sold everywhere and the shops are selling Christmas food.  Most people haven’t started decorating that I know.

I guess it makes a difference not having another major holiday right before it.  I always think you guys must be so exhausted between thanksgiving and Christmas so close together.

9 hours ago, school17777 said:

Why are live Christmas trees illegal?

To protect the environment.  In the USA, there are Christmas Tree Farms where their business is to grow Christmas Trees, to be cut down and sold. We do not have such an industry in Colombia. If someone were to cut down a tree and use it as a Christmas tree here, that would be, I believe a serious crime.  So everyone in Colombia who has a Christmas tree has an Artificial tree they use (hopefully) for many years after purchasing it.

Edited by Lanny
change "year" to "tree"
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lanny said:

To protect the environment.  In the USA, there are Christmas Tree Farms where their business is to grow Christmas Trees, to be cut down and sold. We do not have such an industry in Colombia. If someone were to cut down a tree and use it as a Christmas tree here, that would be, I believe a serious crime.  So everyone in Colombia who has a Christmas tree has an Artificial tree they use (hopefully) for many years after purchasing it.

We export Christmas trees here, including to hot places.  They pack them into cold shipping containers and take them off to all kinds of places.  They are very expensive though to buy after travelling so far in refridgerated containers.

The illegal thing could also be about pests, potentially.