Menu

What color is your kitchen?

Night Elf

The main color of my kitchen walls is called jalopeno red. It's just a deep red color. Then I have an accent wall of a dark yellow. The kitchen/dining area is open to the family room so it's all one big space. I found curtains that had the same color scheme of the walls in the kitchen/dining/family room area. They're striped. It all works. Only now it's all old. I'd love to redo but I have no idea what color to try. The family room is Gobi Desert which is just a dark beige and I don't want to change that color. Painting this vaulted room is way too much trouble. 

So do I pick a color scheme first? Or do I go out and find curtains I love and choose paint colors from them? It's the curtains that pull together the two rooms into one big space. 

I'd also like new furniture but DH isn't keen on that idea. We get good furniture in at the thrift store but I don't know how I feel about a used sofa. What do you think?

Yes, I'm thinking I should start with curtains. My furniture is neutral as are my family room walls so I can really go any color I like. The red in my kitchen now isn't dark enough to create a cave like appearance. My kitchen sink is in a corner with two windows and the eat-in area of the kitchen has two windows and a door with the top half being glass. I gets lots of light in there. I don't know whether to go with soft colored curtains and bold paint or bold curtains and soft colored paint. I guess I just need to hit the stores to look at curtains. I've got Walmart and Target as my go-to's. I think I have a Home Store nearby. What about Bed, Bath and Beyond? I just looked on Amazon and it's just too hard to tell what the colors look like. I need to see the fabric in person.

My cabinets are a dark honey color and our laminate countertop is sort of an off white, almost light grey. The red works perfectly in there so I'm thinking any color will work. I am thinking of light blue or lilac. Either of those would go with yellow and beige. Right?

All the walls in my house are white, then the cabinets / wood trim is oak / maple and the carpets / floors range from beige to brick.  Our counter tops are white.  Most of our windows don't have curtains.

For remodeling, I would choose a neutral color that you don't hate.  Personally I'm not big on changing the decor after x years.  If I were likely to make changes, I would be much more open to changing the curtains than other stuff.  So I would pick paint that would go with most of the colors you like, and then get creative with the curtains.

• Like 1

This can't be an expensive project. We've had too many expenses lately. Like I can't get new furniture although we could really use it. Really all I want to do is change the curtains in the family room and the main wall color in the kitchen. The curtains will be the big expense. I already told DH I don't redecorate often so I'm buying what I like regardless of price. We've lived with this color scheme since we moved into this house in 2005. I think it's time for a change. ?

• Like 1

We're just finishing up our kitchen remodel now. The walls and cabinets are white, the floor is hickory, and the counters are gray limestone (with little fossils, which I love ❤️). The appliances are white except for our fridge, which is slate. No curtains.

My kitchen is orange-orange: the color that an orange fruit is.  The cupboards are tan-yellow, and the floor is a warm laminate that looks like wide planks of wood. 

I've loved it for a long time, but am tired of it now.  I plan on painting the cupboards white, the walls a rich cream, and having accents of sky blue. (The warm wooden floor will stay).  Pretty much the exact opposite of what it is now. 

Edited by Garga

It's white. My everything is white. The qua our house is laid out pretty much everything on the main floor and up the stairs and the upstairs hallways and the downstairs are one continuous wall (with bull nose corners ... so no real stops) .... so it is all white. (The bedrooms and bathrooms have color on the walls) 

• Like 1

I usually work “fabrics first” (or “artwork first” if applicable) because it’s easier to buy matching paints (for fabric) than to get textiles to match existing paint.

My kitchen has very little wall area. (The cabinets, backsplash, and widows take up a lot of the space.) What wall area there is I painted a midnight navy. It’s fantastic with my almost rust-toned wood cabinets and grey-black tile.

I know it sounds dark. It’s a really open bright space, so it broadcasts more of an intensely elegant feel than a dull/dim/dark feel.

Edited by bolt.

I definitely like to start with the fabric where possible. Nothing worse than picking a wall color and not being able to find things to go with it! My other suggestion was maybe keep the wall colors, or at least one of the wall colors, but lighten them. I saw a room that was a darker blue and pretty, but when they went lighter it was fresh and still pretty too. I have a yellow kitchen, and it's just very pleasant and neutral. Something lighter, something neutral. What color are your cabs? Some cabinets look better with some colors or others.

1 hour ago, Night Elf said:

My cabinets are a dark honey color and our laminate countertop is sort of an off white, almost light grey. The red works perfectly in there so I'm thinking any color will work. I am thinking of light blue or lilac. Either of those would go with yellow and beige. Right?

Oh sorry, I missed that! Yes, the light blue would look LOVELY!!! If you like that, run with it. I like purple in all forms, hehe. You might see if what you find for curtains that has that color in it and then choose the walls. It might end up more of an accent color, so like yellow walls with the purple popping out, that kind of thing.

And yes, I love Target for curtains. They're fresh, modern, affordable. I look other places, but I keep going back to Target.

Edited by PeterPan

Buy the curtains/fabric first. It’s so much harder to do it the other way around, but matching paint to fabric is easy. 

If you’re unsure about your next color scheme, just browse the fabric store and lift ideas from those color combos. 

Edited by KungFuPanda

My kitchen walls are yellow. It’s the happiest, sunniest yellow without being overwhelming, called Sunbeam. I picked it out and liked it so much that when we redid it,& insisted on keeping it. We went with white cabinets, medium grey speckled countertops, red oak flooring, plus white appliances. I haven’t gotten a lot of accents for it yet, but generally I go with blues/teals/greens. It has a timeless, traditional feel with just a mild hint of country, which fits my 1830s rural farmhouse perfectly. 

Edited by happypamama

3 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

My kitchen walls are SW Accessible Beige. My cabinets are BM Caribbean Teal. Floors are "aged hickory" vinyl plank - light brown and gray. I just redecorated this spring/summer, going from warm tones (darker Beige walls, barn red cabinets) and I love the change!

This sounds so totally charming! 

• Like 1

My kitchen wall color is called Touchstone, which was painted in 2013. Funnily enough, I just had the paint can out last night because we were moving out the broken fridge and I wanted to paint the part of the wall I couldn’t reach with the fridge in place. ? So I touched-up the Touchstone. It is a light neutral grey. 

The only decoration, really, that interacts with my kitchen wall color is the curtain on one window, which is a black and white toile pattern. 

White cabinets, beige walls, countertops/backsplash are a white and beige tile--kind of different than I've seen before because they aren't exactly smooth. I really like them, but don't know what they are called. Then I have mostly red accents (trash can, kitchen aid, those pads that soften the floor for in front of the sink and stove), but other bright colors in some cross-stitch pieces and a trivet attached to the wall. The window doesn't have a curtain, and I like the light from that. (Even if someone were to come and look in that window, they couldn't see anything but part of the kitchen, so it doesn't compromise privacy.) Floors are a fake wood look laminate. That's the only thing I'd change, but they are still in good shape, so that won't happen for a long time.

ETA: I would not have chosen to paint the walls beige except that it seemed the only shade that went nicely with the white cabinets and the tiles. I certainly wasn't ready to paint the cabinets, so beige it is. Overall, it looks nice though, even though beige isn't currently an "in" color.

Edited by Jaybee

Cream like our dining room, living room, study room and entry hall because they are all one room.  I really really dislike this concept because right now the TV is on, the dishwasher is on, someone is on the phone, the kitchen is dirty because I just made dinner.  Everybody is frustrated because it is hard to hear anything or focus and my friend, who just walked through the door, is welcomed by a huge mess of dirty dishes in the kitchen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Selkie said:

We're just finishing up our kitchen remodel now. The walls and cabinets are white, the floor is hickory, and the counters are gray limestone (with little fossils, which I love ❤️). The appliances are white except for our fridge, which is slate. No curtains.

Okay...you need to read the board rules. Freshly completed renos require a picture or two!!!  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My kitchen cabinets are white,.  All of the public areas on the main floor are painted in shades of blue from the same color strip.  The counters and also the upholstered furniture in the living room are all in grays.  We have a mix of painted (white and also dark blue) furniture and various woods.  Our floors are also wood. I love the blues because I can change out the cheap things (throw pillows, kitchen towels, blankets that I keep on the couch) and totally change the look of the room.  Right now we have lots of corals and it's very cheery.  One of the floral pillow patterns has some celery and sage greens that I wouldn't have anticipated liking, so if I ever get tired of the coral, I may switch to greens and keep that pillow.  Our dining room, which is a little less open to the other rooms, is painted in the same blues but has red buffalo check curtains.  It's the first room we did, and we chose the colors based on a gorgeous red and blue prayer quilt that the ladies at our old church gave us when we moved.  After doing that room, we loved the blues so we used them in other rooms.  The red gives that room a more 'formal country' look than the more fun colors in the living room.