Menu

Validation & a small brag

BlsdMama

So, it's not a huge deal, but I applied for a scholarship.  It was specific to disability and required an essay about how it's impacted my life and why I'm in school and the "end goal" so to speak and how those things interact with my disability.

Found out today I won - $2k per year, but I'm in my senior year.  It's a big deal to me.  DH was proud because he's my eternal cheerleader.  There will be no one else (parents, sibs, etc.) that I even bother to tell most likely because their reaction will be a lukewarm, "Congrats" and not understanding why any of this is important to me.  But it was a big deal on two fronts - one because it was my writing, and two because it is hard for me to begin to identify as disabled and this is a step in the right direction of being positive about it instead of avoidance/sadness.  KWIM?

• Like 45

1 hour ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Congratulations!!  FWIW, I don't know what your disability is, but I know my dd struggles with similar feelings due to her chronic health issues.  Hope that you feel affirmed and can carry that strength forward!

I'm losing the ability to use my legs.  Currently Mayo believes I have Stiff Person Syndrome and the U believes I have Motor Neuron Disease - Primary Lateral Sclerosis.  Both are in agreement I will be in a full term wheelchair at some point in the near future.  It's an ongoing medical mystery I'd rather not be a part of but here I am.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

It's an ongoing medical mystery I'd rather not be a part of but here I am.

I am so sorry you are suffering this.  You must be a woman of incredible strength and resolve to homeschool and parent your large family and go to school as well.

Prayers for you.

• Like 2

Congratulations!  How wonderful for you and I'm glad you shared here.

I am sorry about your physical issues.  I have been having a pity party for myself over some temporary problems and now I feel foolish.  Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.  

Congratulations! 

A dear friend volunteers for Make A Wish. She is helping w/ the reveal of a big trip. The family let her know they didn't want a public reveal as was being planned. Their child, a 7 yo, said she "didn't want to The Cancer Kid" anymore. Yep, even at 7, she gets it. 

Blessings to you as you deal with this and as you finish your degree!