Menu

Edhesive prices?!?!

Hi. New posting, but have lurked for a while

Anyway, my DS had been planning to do AP CS-A thru Edhesive this fall after reading about it here. I was especially interested due to the $150 price. However, when I went to the website this morning, it is showing a price of $550 for a student license for the 2018-19 year. Anyone else seeing this, or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Thanks.

• Confused 1

Well, I'm seeing the same thing as you. I had emailed Edhesive on April 30th and asked a bunch of questions about their courses including the price for AP Computer Science. I was told then it was $150. Today I followed up that email with the question of if it really went up by $400??? I will let you know if they answer my email.

• Like 1

Got an email reply and Edhesive really has upped their prices. They are honoring their quote to me. I have no idea if they will give you a reduced price if you email and say you were planning on enrolling at the previous price. Before you completely strike them off your list for this year, I'd email about the situation. This might mean that I strike them off my list for future years however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julie of KY said:

Got an email reply and Edhesive really has upped their prices. They are honoring their quote to me. I have no idea if they will give you a reduced price if you email and say you were planning on enrolling at the previous price. Before you completely strike them off your list for this year, I'd email about the situation. This might mean that I strike them off my list for future years however.

Same happened here.  I had a "quote" via email so they honored the old price.  Phew.  

17 hours ago, mom1720 said:

Julie,

Thanks for the update. Glad you have that quote. You, too Skimomma. Nothing here, so I think we will look elsewhere. Suggestions?

Thanks.

16 hours ago, Milknhoney said:

Oh no! I was going to register ds for Introduction to Computer Science. I never emailed them or anything, though. I don't think we can do $495. 

Hoping someone has suggestions for an alternate course!

The AP Computer Science A course I linked upthread at CompuScholar uses an approved syllabus and includes instructions for getting an identical syllabus approved so that the student's transcript lists the course as AP, so it is probably a comparable course (and a bargain at only $90). CompuScholar doesn't have a Python course, but they do have a variety of other computer science courses. My daughter is finishing up the Web design course, and I would definitely recommend it - she has found the instruction to be very thorough and the activities appropriately challenging...there is no room for error in the code for an element on a web page, lol.

• Like 2

This is a huge bummer. This was my plan for AP computer science. And from what I have been told by moms who walked this road, if you don't take a live class, it's helpful to have a tutor to help prepare for the section where they write their own program. So if I have to pay $550 plus a tutor, that's too much. Potter's school isn't even offering that class this year. I've looked at CompuScholar but liked Edhesive better. Argh.

I had missed that the name change from Amplify to Edhesive a few years back reflected the MOOC being sold.  

https://marketbrief.edweek.org/marketplace-k-12/amplifys_mooc_is_sold_and_renamed_as_edhesive/

This would have been aroumd the time they started adding more courses like Intro to Computer Science and Statistics.

all similar $495-550 - really pricey! is it the homeschoolers' lot that every course wil end up being $500-800? it's a shame not to have some cost-effective options (for those whose kids thrive on outside providers/accountability - as unfortunately homegrown classes at this stage *do not work*)

• Like 1

I really don’t understand the appeal of edhesive for a family who doesn’t have a programmer at home or a tutor to support a child. We tried and failed - when stuck it took forever to get unstuck because of inefficient back and forth. We quit. But honestly we tend to not like most things/classes people rave about here. Something is off with my children.

• Like 3

... well then, that begs the question even more to raise prices from $150 to $550!

for us, my mathy kid, the programming came pretty naturally. and he had very limited experience. he got stuck from time to time, but always found the answers he needed on the discussion boards. i did not help a whit, and he pulled a 4 on the exam (and this was when he was not a great standardized test preparer). i would definitely have another of my mathy kids take it, but not the not-so-mathy ones - that's for sure.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 10:39 AM, Clear Creek said:

CompuScholar doesn't have a Python course, but they do have a variety of other computer science courses.

If you are not concerned with the AP but want a solid Python course, my dd self-studied Python using this book: https://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-3rd/dp/1435455002 . For less than $14, it is an excellent introduction to Python programming.  I highly recommend the book. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really don’t think it has anything to do with mathy or not. The kid who hated edhesive has aced every AOPS course he has ever taken and is very mathy. The way edhesive is set up with no real teacher and over reliance on message board and constant misunderstanding on part of the teacher my kid’s questions just basically had me drop it. It just doesn’t work for us. In fact no class without a real teacher works for us it seems.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I really don’t understand the appeal of edhesive for a family who doesn’t have a programmer at home or a tutor to support a child. We tried and failed - when stuck it took forever to get unstuck because of inefficient back and forth. We quit. But honestly we tend to not like most things/classes people rave about here. Something is off with my children.

6 hours ago, mirabillis said:

... well then, that begs the question even more to raise prices from $150 to $550!

for us, my mathy kid, the programming came pretty naturally. and he had very limited experience. he got stuck from time to time, but always found the answers he needed on the discussion boards. i did not help a whit, and he pulled a 4 on the exam (and this was when he was not a great standardized test preparer). i would definitely have another of my mathy kids take it, but not the not-so-mathy ones - that's for sure.

I agree. My son is doing the Into Class and has really liked it but I think it comes naturally to him. He’s been able to figure it out even when stuck. And I didn’t mind so much the lack of support with the cheap price. But there is no way I would pay $550 for a class without a significant amount of teacher support. 

7 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

If you are not concerned with the AP but want a solid Python course, my dd self-studied Python using this book: https://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-3rd/dp/1435455002 . For less than $14, it is an excellent introduction to Python programming.  I highly recommend the book. 

Oh, I'm glad someone else enjoyed this book.  I totally agree, it's excellent, and the first half covers most everything you need to know.  

Thank you for this! I was planning to have my son do this course this coming year. I *can* teach him programming myself, but I liked the idea of an inexpensive outside teacher with me just helping as needed. I'll e-mail them and see if they'll honor the original price for me as well. Those who are doing that, are you having to buy it right now? I was going to wait until we start school.

What grade level do you feel these courses are appropriate for?

I have a rising 9th grader (14/15) who's a computer-y kid, but he's never taken a formal CS course. Would you recommend to start at Intro to CS or AP CS as a first class? Not sure if Intro could be "easy" but AP too hard, kwim?

Also, do these courses have a weekly online "meeting" with a teacher? or are they self-study?

AP CS-A is perfect for mathy 9th grader. my ds took their course and got an A & 4 on the exam. he also had very little programming experience. however price tag is far heftier than when we took it so there's that to think of. no live meeting at all. you complete 1 week's worth of material (videos, activities obline, sometimes quizzes/tests) - each week a new week's material is available to you. there are discussion forums where my ds always got his answers when stuck.

I have a 5th grader you found their Python class very easy and loved it. It’s my other kid who hated the setup of their Java course and dropped it. It’s not difficult. It was just very inefficient for us. I will say 9th grade is a good for their AP course.

• Like 1

? This is a bummer, but perhaps a blessing after all. Due to Edhesive's price increase and the fact that in order to successfully take the AP Exam (to my understanding) I'd have to include additional study and test prep outside of the class anyway, another resource has re-entered the picture.

PA Homeschoolers AP Computer Science A seems the better choice for the investment of my young man's education and secondary school/college credit. They are reputable, students have their choice of two "live" chat times that are offered during the week (which are optional and recorded for off-line viewing as well), and the class includes test prep for the AP Exam.?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCAmusings said:

? This is a bummer, but perhaps a blessing after all. Due to Edhesive's price increase and the fact that in order to successfully take the AP Exam (to my understanding) I'd have to include additional study and test prep outside of the class anyway, another resource has re-entered the picture.

PA Homeschoolers AP Computer Science A seems the better choice for the investment of my young man's education and secondary school/college credit. They are reputable, students have their choice of two "live" chat times that are offered during the week (which are optional and recorded for off-line viewing as well), and the class includes test prep for the AP Exam.?

Fwiw, some of us here have not had good experiences with AP Computer Science with PA Homeschoolers.  Imo, PA Homeschoolers offers a lot of great classes, but computer science is not one of them - I ended up dropping it.  Ymmv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NCAmusings said:

My son took Edhesive's class when it was still free (aka the first year when they were developing it).  Even with next to no programming experience he did fine with the class and got a 4 on the exam.  We didn't do any kind of outside study or prep.  I'm sure that will depend on the kid but I really haven't heard of that many people talking about needing lots of extra prep for this exam.

Also like another poster mentioned, I've not heard good things about PA Homeschoolers Computer Science class.  As a result it's a class that I wouldn't even consider.  As an alternative, I'd probably cobble together some of the classes from udemy, buy a prep book and call it good. It's already one of the easier tests (but that's probably why a lot of colleges won't give credit for it either)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, NCAmusings said:

Due to Edhesive's price increase and the fact that in order to successfully take the AP Exam (to my understanding) I'd have to include additional study and test prep outside of the class anyway, another resource has re-entered the picture.

DS12 took the exam last May and had a 4 without outside test prep. DS13 also took last May and had a 5, he did two years of past year FRQs from CollegeBoard and the MCQs from Barron’s.

So additional study and test prep outside the Edhesive class is not required. My DS13 was hoping for a 5 so he rather be over prepared for the exam. We paid when the cost was $150 per kid so it was affordable for the nagging. My kids just helped each other for homework so they didn’t depend on the Edhesive class forums. DS12 only programming experience before the course was Scratch and Lego Mindstorm, both are drag and drop programming. DS13 did the AoPS python courses one summer for fun but line programming knowledge is not needed for the Edhesive course as no prior knowledge is assumed. 

• Like 2

Edhesive never responded to my inquiries. Now I somewhat know why. At the very least, they were increasing the course prices for homeschoolers.

My experience with PA Homeschoolers has been quite the opposite. They responded promptly. I’m hoping that someone can share specifics about PA Homescoolers AP CS A course. I honestly can’t find any negative reviews about them.

As for CompuScholar... my young man strongly disliked their intro computer course when they were Homeschool Programming. I wouldn’t use them again.

1 hour ago, NCAmusings said:

My experience with PA Homeschoolers has been quite the opposite. They responded promptly. I’m hoping that someone can share specifics about PA Homescoolers AP CS A course. I honestly can’t find any negative reviews about them.

I was able to find at least two negative reviews of PA Homeschoolers AP Comp Sci course with a quick search.

Who did not like PAH AP ... (Hopefully this takes you to the first negative review. If not, look for a Nov 19th, 2016 Calming Tea post. There might be more. I stopped when I got to this one.)

Computer Science Online Courses (This one has a post on Jan 29th by Julie of KY indicating that she thought the instructor was disorganized.)

You will find that most people do not post their negative reviews. Some may be willing to PM you their experience, but most won't post publicly. I am even a little gun shy about it now. After posting about a negative experience my dd#1 had, the owner of that particular online school came on here and, without identifying herself, posted that they'd had a completely wonderful experience with the same teacher. Then, I believe she tipped the teacher off, so the teacher created an account on here & posted a huge rant against my post. (SWB stepped in & deleted the teacher's post later as it was against the forum rules.) Since then, I've been a little quieter. However, I am VERY grateful to those who speak up about their negative experiences (even when, actually, especially when they don't match our own). I'd rather know the negatives others experience than go in blind. I wish people had spoken up about the WHA Spanish teacher DD endured this year . . . So, sometimes you have to PM people or ask them to PM you. And even then, you might not get much feedback. YMMV.

• Like 4

and all PAH are not created equal. PAH as a whole is great - but it depends on your individual instructors... we've had 1 bad experience, 3 good now. we now pick and choose very carefully. we never took PAH AP CS-A so i have no advice to give there.

i do think edhesive is great and will even likely consider it in a few years when it's time for ds#2 to take AP Cs-A. it's a good class. worth $550? i don't know - but if they can score a 4 or 5 on the exam, maybe so. too bad though as it was one of those classes that helped average my other high cost classes down!

Thank you, ladies. 

I don't know how much of a difference this makes, if at all, but reading through the prerequisites for both providers... Edhesive only requires completion of Algebra I (completion of Algebra II is recommended), whereas PA Homeschoolers requires completion of Algebra II with B or better. Thoughts?