Menu

Give me awesome book suggestions

Mimm

Have we had a thread like this recently? Tell me what you're reading and loving. ?

I just read the first two books of The Expanse series. Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War. I had watched the first two seasons of the TV show (which I definitely recommend, you can stream it on Prime) and was in the mood for more (and didn't have season 3 available to me yet), so I picked up the books.

I'm currently reading Hannah Coulter, which is the exact opposite of a soaring space epic where people are leaving the planet to settle the solar system. It's the current read for Circe's Close Reads podcast, which I just discovered, so I grabbed this book. My daughter asked me what it was about and I said, "A farmer woman and her family and neighbors. Almost nothing happens. I'm enjoying it." ?

Blackout and All Clear by Connie Willis

BTW, these two books are really one long story cut into two books. The first ends abruptly and the second begins where the first left off. But DH and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Her other one I loved, also time travel, is To Say Nothing of the Dog.

• Like 1

I'm finishing the fifth and final book of the Memoirs of Lady Trent series. The reflections and adventures of a (mostly) fearless and trailblazing female dragon naturalist in a Victorian-era alternate universe.  I am so attached to these characters and if any of them die I will throw the book.  Gently though, because it belongs to the library.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, readinmom said:

I was off to the library, and Memoirs of Lady Trent series looked interesting.  Not one book at either branch!  ?

I own the first one, but I've had to use interlibrary loan to borrow the rest of the series.  I'm honestly surprised it's not more easily available, it's that good.  It's probably too "clean" for most readers of fantasy stories, or YA, to be more popular.  I'd have no hesitation about recommending it for a teen girl.

• Like 1

Radium Girls is an incredible true story that reads like both a biography and a suspense novel. It features villains whose inhumanity will take your breath away, regular people who made horrific mistakes, brave victims suffering and fighting, and an unlikely hero who steps in to help. Very well written. 

The last book that affected me so much was The Song of Achilles, a novelized version of the Trojan War that provides a backstory for Achilles and Patroclus. It was riveting and gave me all the feels. 

That's the only two I'm going to suggest, because you need to quit reading this thread and go get them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

I own the first one, but I've had to use interlibrary loan to borrow the rest of the series.  I'm honestly surprised it's not more easily available, it's that good.  It's probably too "clean" for most readers of fantasy stories, or YA, to be more popular.  I'd have no hesitation about recommending it for a teen girl.

Putting the first one on hold at the library.  I think my teenage daughter will love this series.  Thanks for the recommendation!

4 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

If you like Sci Fi in general -- 

Children of Time by Adrian Tchiacovsky was really good. 

The Bobiverse books by Dennis Taylor  - I enjoyed the heck out of. 

Bobiverse!!! I love the Bobiverse. I need more Bobiverse books. I was so sad when I got to the end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theelfqueen said:

If you like Sci Fi in general -- 

Children of Time by Adrian Tchiacovsky was really good. 

The Bobiverse books by Dennis Taylor  - I enjoyed the heck out of. 

I do love sci fi. Thanks! ?

9 hours ago, Kareni said:

Come join us at the Book a Week thread.  You don't need to read a book a week; you can read whatever and whenever you wish.  We have posters who read everything from the classics to mysteries to romances (that would be me).

Here's the link to this week's thread.

Regards,
Kareni

I will! I didn't even think of it. I always skimmed past those threads because I don't read that much, though I wish I did. I'm just too busy, but doing better lately making time for it. ?

2 hours ago, katilac said:

Radium Girls is an incredible true story that reads like both a biography and a suspense novel. It features villains whose inhumanity will take your breath away, regular people who made horrific mistakes, brave victims suffering and fighting, and an unlikely hero who steps in to help. Very well written. 

The last book that affected me so much was The Song of Achilles, a novelized version of the Trojan War that provides a backstory for Achilles and Patroclus. It was riveting and gave me all the feels. 

That's the only two I'm going to suggest, because you need to quit reading this thread and go get them. 

I was eyeing The Song of Achilles and I think another by the same author. I will have to go check them out. ?

• Like 1

I find that I read more when I borrow digital books from the library: I can get exactly what I feel like reading at that moment, I work on my computer several hours a day and can get in some reading breaks, there's no pressure of having bought an expensive book or worrying about library fines. Also, I'm old and can adjust the font! ?

And, although reading on my phone is not my preference, it's nice that I can do it, and I have sometimes read a few pages while in line or waiting for an appointment. 

• Like 2

For tonight, I will recommend The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins.

image.png.94e5a3304015337f1785c6eb09759b76.png

Starred review from Kirkus:

A spellbinding story of world-altering power and revenge from debut novelist Hawkins.

Carolyn’s life changed forever when she was 8. That was the year her ordinary suburban subdivision was destroyed and the man she now calls Father took her and 11 other children to study in his very unusual Library. Carolyn studied languages—and not only human ones. The other children studied the ways of beasts, learned healing and resurrection, and wandered in the lands of the dead or in possible futures. Now they’re all in their 30s, and Father is missing. Carolyn and the others are trying to find him—but Carolyn has her own agenda and her own feelings about the most dangerous of her adopted siblings, David, who has spent years perfecting the arts of murder and war. Carolyn is an engaging heroine with a wry sense of humor, and Steve, the ordinary American ally she recruits, helps keep the book grounded in reality despite the ever growing strangeness that swirls around them. Like the Library itself, the book is bigger, darker, and more dangerous than it seems. The plot never flags, and it’s never predictable. Hawkins has created a fascinating, unusual world in which ordinary people can learn to wield breathtaking power—and he’s also written a compelling story about love and revenge that never loses sight of the human emotions at its heart.

A wholly original, engrossing, disturbing, and beautiful book. You’ve never read anything quite like this, and you won’t soon forget it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mimm said:

<snip> 

I will! I didn't even think of it. I always skimmed past those threads because I don't read that much, though I wish I did. I'm just too busy, but doing better lately making time for it. ?

<snip> 

The thing with that thread - if you want to read more, you will be inspired.  But there isn't any pressure to read and report in on a number of books.  There are challenges, but no one checks to see if you do them.

I've joined that thread several times over the years, and usually stop reading it by April.  This year I decided to stay no matter what and I'm glad I did. My "to read" list has grown hugely!  I feel like I'm getting to know people a little bit.

Also, check out Goodreads. If you plug in a book you like, you can get suggestions on similar books.  When I updated my sig  here recently I had to take out my Goodreads link for some reason, but I'll put it here in case you are interested:   https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3717253-margaret

• Like 2

I just finished Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter which was an excellent memoir of her time in foster care and being adopted.

Other favorites that have really stuck with me.....A Man Called Ove, The Nightingale, The Orphan's Take, Born A Crime, Walking on Broken Glass, and Everything here is Beautiful.

I’ve read some good books this year. “The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared” was definitely a favorite. I enjoyed “Nothing to Envy: Six Ordinary Lives in North Korea” by Barbara Demick was really good. I recently finished “All the Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr. A fun, yet thoughtful read was “Calico Joe” by John Grisham. And then I picked up yet another WWII novel at the library “We Were the Lucky Ones” by Georgia Hunter. It’s about a Jewish Family in Poland. Very beautiful, but sad.

• Like 1