Menu

Hobby Lobby or Michael's?

I prefer Hobby Lobby because I think they have a much better scrapbooking selection (and good sales) and I love their home decor stuff. I often download the 40% off coupon from their website. Also, they often have entire departments/categories 50% off. I still shop at Michael's some but I love Hobby Lobby! :D

Yes.

How's that for helpful?

I like Hobby Lobby if I know what I'm doing and I need to pick up the supplies. It's more of a real do-it-yourself hobby place.

I like Michaels if I just have an itch to create something but I don't know what and I want to browse. I think they're layout and lighting tends to inspire more creative when I'm feeling dull.

I suppose if I could only have one I would pick Hobby Lobby.

Hobby Lobby because they're closed on Sundays and because the owner tithes.

And because they paid for a fellow pastor in our neck of the woods to renovate an old bowling alley and completely convert it into a church (it was a new church plant, started from nothing) -- HL paid for the building, the labor, the furnishings, the decorations -- the whole shebang. The church is absolutely beautiful and is thriving now.

(Our Michael's is brand new and has only been open a couple of weeks. It's in a part of town I don't like to drive in and I haven't been there yet -- so I really can't give a fair assessment. I do, however, like Hobby Lobby for the reasons I mentioned above.)

We have both, across the street from each other. My impression of Michael's is clutter. The aisles are close together and it just makes it hard for me to breath in some spots. Hobby Lobby on ther hand, had a claen and crisp feel. It is easier to find things there. Our Michael's probably just needs a bigger building. But their aisle's are so discombobulated. There are 5 sets, total, going in different directions. Hobby Lobby has 2 sets in the middle, going from front to back, and then on each side there is a set going side to side.

The music in Hobby Lobby is nice too. A quiet instrumental. Nothing chaotic sounding or too loud.

And my last reason for preferring HL is Halloween. Hobby Lobby had nice, old fashioned halloween stuff. A few jack-o-lanterns, candy corns and pumpkin candies. Michael's had a bride and groom skeleton, the bride was HOLDING her head (not like us moms do :D, but with her hands down by her side--It was totally detached with glowing eyes) and there was smoke and eerie music. What would THAT do to a 4 yr old's sleep??!! That is 2 mos of the year that I can't even take my girls into the store. <sigh>

It depends on what you're buying. Ours are about a half mile apart, so life is GOOD...

For the same reasons as Cin, we like Hobby Lobby for daydreaming and "window-shopping." I also like their prices better, the staff is friendlier, and they carry fabric. Michaels has a better selection of higher quality materials, especially for art. They also have more in the cake decorating aisle.

Their checkout process is notoriously slow, though!

Does this bother you, though?

Also, does it bother you (not just *you* - anyone else reading this) that the receipt isn't itemized? Because they manually enter the prices, you don't know the cost of each item you bought for when you need to return (not all of the items have sticker prices on them).

If they were next door to each other, I would probably shop at HL more because they have a better selection and it seems better prices for things I have wanted. However, M's is right next door to the grocery store I shop at and is way more convenient than driving to the other side of town for HL so I shop at M's most of the time.

Michael's. Better locations. The one near the fabric store is cluttered and crowded, but the other one down in the valley is spacious and wonderful. Smell doesn't bother me as much as Hobby Lobby (gag -- all those perfume-y things in a craft store make it impossible to breathe, you know? Some days I feel like I have to hold my breath and run to make it through HL). Great selection of those Klutz books and American Girl craft books my kids like. Nice framing selection. Open on Sunday, which is usually when I realize I need more crochet thread. Better ads in the paper, which is a function of how our paper displays ads, of course. Easier to clip and carry the coupons. Overall, more kid-friendly for my age kids.

But Hobby Lobby is better for jewelry findings and art supplies.

I suppose it depends on the type of thing you like to shop for. Also, the stores vary from town to town. Except Hobby Lobby always smells strongly of perfume. Come to think of it, that's my biggest problem with HL and why I don't like it -- I never thought about it before -- I can't stand the smell.

Edited by GailV

Does this bother you, though?

Also, does it bother you (not just *you* - anyone else reading this) that the receipt isn't itemized? Because they manually enter the prices, you don't know the cost of each item you bought for when you need to return (not all of the items have sticker prices on them).

I find the slow checkout process mildly annoying if I'm in a hurry. I do find, though, that their employees are courteous and knowledgable. It's slow because they can't just scan and go, but at least at my HL they've trained their employees to really use the ad listing the sales and pay attention to what they're ringing up.

I think rude or ill-trained employees combined with the slow checkout process would really annoy me. The slow checkout itself doesn't really bother me, but then I expect it when I go in since I know that's just how they do things.

They both have many weaknesses, and I would like to vote for Texas Art Supply. :drool: I'll go ahead and give my vote to Hobby Lobby by a slim margin...only because it's bigger, really.

Neither HL nor Michaels (locally) is particularly appealing to me. Both always seem poorly lit and more cluttered than they should be. And no one who works there cares in the slightest. Their art supplies are either overpriced, understocked, cr@ppy, or abused (dratted snap-leaded Prismacolors!).

Yet I still shop both when I need an instant fix. :tongue_smilie:

I wish we had Hobby Lobby, since I *really stongly dislike* Michaels.

I wish Michaels would carry fabric and patterns, so it really would be one-stop craft shopping. The customer service in the Michael's stores that I've been in (probably 4-5) has been terrible. The checkout lines are long and slow, I hate that they ask for a zip code before ringing me out, and the last time I was there, they told me my coupon wasn't good on the item I was buying, even though it wasn't listed in the exclusions, and had no other deal going that would void the coupon. That's it, no real explanation, just that they don't apply it to that item. :confused:

I avoid Michael's like the plague, if there's *anywhere* else I can get what I need!

And my last reason for preferring HL is Halloween. Hobby Lobby had nice, old fashioned halloween stuff. A few jack-o-lanterns, candy corns and pumpkin candies. Michael's had a bride and groom skeleton, the bride was HOLDING her head (not like us moms do :D, but with her hands down by her side--It was totally detached with glowing eyes) and there was smoke and eerie music. What would THAT do to a 4 yr old's sleep??!! That is 2 mos of the year that I can't even take my girls into the store.

My 7 year old held his ears when we went through the store. He was very scared of it. Because of that, he declared he hated Halloween.

Guest janainaz

Oh, Hobby Lobby any day of the week. I think their prices are fantastic WHEN they have a 50% off sale. However, they are sneaky in their labeling and placement of signs. I managed to buy myself a princess coloring book and crayons for $10 last weekend (yes, my sister and I STILL like coloring). But - not for 10 bucks!

Hobby Lobby because it carries fabric and is only fifteen minutes from my house.

I recently returned $67 worth of foliage decor I didn't use for a church project. Courteous service. I think I turned around and purchased $40 of stuff that day.

I like Michaels, but it seems to be stocked with things I'm not into as much.

Like someone else, I'd love a real art store with classy material within easy driving distance. And a great quilt shop, too, but dh is glad my favorite quilt shop is a solid 30 minutes or more from our house. We'd go broke if it were closer. :D As it is several garden shops distract me before getting there.

Oh, Hobby Lobby any day of the week. I think their prices are fantastic WHEN they have a 50% off sale. However, they are sneaky in their labeling and placement of signs. I managed to buy myself a princess coloring book and crayons for $10 last weekend (yes, my sister and I STILL like coloring). But - not for 10 bucks!

It could just be that store you go to. I would contact the main office. 405-745-1100. It would NOT be okay for this to go on.

And my last reason for preferring HL is Halloween. Hobby Lobby had nice, old fashioned halloween stuff. A few jack-o-lanterns, candy corns and pumpkin candies. Michael's had a bride and groom skeleton, the bride was HOLDING her head (not like us moms do :D, but with her hands down by her side--It was totally detached with glowing eyes) and there was smoke and eerie music. What would THAT do to a 4 yr old's sleep??!! That is 2 mos of the year that I can't even take my girls into the store. <sigh>

:iagree:

With all of your points, Cin, but especially this one!