Menu

Splurges that don’t seem as wasteful as before.

Murphy101

Therapy.

No joke. For years I eschewed it because of the cost, but man it does wonders for my mental health to be able to be completely honest with somebody who doesn't get offended for an hour every two or three weeks.

I think it depends on if you are getting the therapy you need.

When you are? It’s worth bankrupting for.

When you aren’t? Still end up bankrupting, and worse off.

It’s nice not to have multiple panic attacks a day. Or to sleep. You know what 3 hours a day of sleep does for a gal? Wonders compared to zero. Who knew just 3 hours is the difference between being a functioning human? And sometimes it helps to have someone who has heard it all tell you that nope, you aren’t crazy - them other people really are batshit and your reaction is completely reasonable and even biologically normal. Oh and here are some concrete steps to take to heal things. To have something to actually DO about the problems.

Totally agree. That’s no joke at all.

• Like 5

Good coffee.

Lysol wipes.

Swiffer dusters.

We also make room in the budget for sports. We pay more so they can play at a smaller private school rather than having them play at the large public school near us. It's been a great experience for my boys.

• Like 4

Health club membership. It's on the near horizon. I'm feeling the need to start working out in a more supervised environment. I'm not elderly or super out of shape, but I'd like to be able to keep exercising without having to worry about falling off the treadmill at home alone and laying on the floor for hours.

Plus, I like the group class atmosphere. And the sauna.

I can’t afford a membership right now, but I am terrified of causing more bodily damage by exercising wrong - so I agree it’s totally worth it for the supervision alone. And I don’t think that’s true just for elderly people. Injury is a major cause for why people stop exercising.

• Like 1

Good coffee.

Lysol wipes.

Swiffer dusters.

We also make room in the budget for sports. We pay more so they can play at a smaller private school rather than having them play at the large public school near us. It's been a great experience for my boys.

Lysol wipes!

11 kids.

Enough said. Truely worthy of adding to my gratitude list.

• Like 6

My student loan debt. Granted, I will probably never buy a brand new car for the rest of my life, but the investment has been worth it. 30 more schools days before I graduate. 

a quality planner - I spent about $30 for a Jibun Techo  and I think I finally found planner peace. 

a good backpack - the school backpack I've carried for the last two years is a Tom Bihn Smart Alec. It cost $200, but it's has been worth it. 

Better pens, pencils, and paper - not outrageous expensive, but not the cheap BIC either. I've been experimenting with brand and love Kuru Toga pencils. 

Eating out with friends - I ate out with friends last semester a lot - I also didn't spend a lot on groceries, so it balanced out. Now one has moved away and one just joined the military. I miss them. The rest of us don't get together as often. The memories were worth it. It wasn't about food, it was about making memories. 

• Like 7

Highlights (hair). I like the way they look and the way they hide my gray hairs. As long as it's still affordable I'll continue to get highlights done professionally. 

Massage therapy. I'm a stickler for science based medicine and am under no illusions that this provides any real treatment for my chronic back pain, but it provides relief and at this point that's what matters. Insurance pays for a certain number of therapeutic massages a year, and I pay out of pocket once they stop paying. Totally worth the splurge.

• Like 1

Boxycharm beauty box subscription. Not only do I not have to think about what makeup and skincare to try next, but each $20 box is worth over $100. As a makeup novice, I really appreciate having a lot of the guesswork taken out.

Lysol wipes. They cdon't ups charge twice as much and I'd still buy them.

Dyson cordless vacuum (I think I have the v6). I have a degenerative joint disease, so having something so super lightweight without a cord to plug in is incredible. I got mine refurbished, but I honestly don't think I'll ever go back to the regular vacuums ever again.

Edited by Epicurean
  • Like 1

The $3.99 container of Nutpods creamer that lasts me about 1 1/3 days. It has saved tea for me after going dairy free. Every other dairy free creamer has tasted awful in tea after years of drinking it with half and half, so I was overjoyed when I tried Nutpods. It is cheaper online, but I often end up buying it at the local supermarket down the street. 

Kindle Voyage - I've been having trouble with my hands and I kept dropping my Paperwhite while turning the page. After chatting with someone at Amazon, they were nice enough to give me a discount coupon to see if the Voyage would work better for me. It was still more than I felt comfortable paying, but it has been worth it. 

My Ninja Blender Duo System for making smoothies. Dh was a little reluctant to spend so much on a blender, but I was buying smoothies once or twice a week for $12 a pop, so it's saved us money in the long run. Now I have a smoothie about 5 times a week. I love the to-go cups that come with it! 

• Like 1

The $3.99 container of Nutpods creamer that lasts me about 1 1/3 days. It has saved tea for me after going dairy free. Every other dairy free creamer has tasted awful in tea after years of drinking it with half and half, so I was overjoyed when I tried Nutpods. It is cheaper online, but I often end up buying it at the local supermarket down the street.

Kindle Voyage - I've been having trouble with my hands and I kept dropping my Paperwhite while turning the page. After chatting with someone at Amazon, they were nice enough to give me a discount coupon to see if the Voyage would work better for me. It was still more than I felt comfortable paying, but it has been worth it.

My Ninja Blender Duo System for making smoothies. Dh was a little reluctant to spend so much on a blender, but I was buying smoothies once or twice a week for $12 a pop, so it's saved us money in the long run. Now I have a smoothie about 5 times a week. I love the to-go cups that come with it!

I bought a ninja blender several years ago and it’s been worth it. I make frozen frappe and smoothies and more with it all summer long.

Birchbox beauty box subscription. Not only do I not have to think about what makeup and skincare to try next, but each $20 box is worth over $100. As a makeup novice, I really appreciate having a lot of the guesswork taken out.

Lysol wipes. They cdon't ups charge twice as much and I'd still buy them.

Dyson cordless vacuum (I think I have the v6). I have a degenerative joint disease, so having something so super lightweight without a cord to plug in is incredible. I got mine refurbished, but I honestly don't think I'll ever go back to the regular vacuums ever again.

Do you know how Birchbox compares to Ipsy? Other than Ipsy is $10? I’ve been curious about doing one of them not just for myself but I have a teen and tween daughter, so makeup exploration is a hot commodity in this house.

Do you know how Birchbox compares to Ipsy? Other than Ipsy is $10? I’ve been curious about doing one of them not just for myself but I have a teen and tween daughter, so makeup exploration is a hot commodity in this house.

Oops, I meant Boxycharm! Not birchbox. Sorry about that.

I don't have experience with Ipay, but I did three months with Sephora Play, which is similar. The main difference is that Ipsy and Play do sample sizes, while Boxycharm does full size products. Boxycharm also often gives out full eyeshadow palettes and high quality makeup brushes.

The only advantage I think Ipsy and Play have, in theory, is that they let you customize your profile--however, Boxycharm just announced that they will be doing this too.

The reasons I switched from Play despite the price increase:

1. There was way too much skincare and not enough makeup.

2. Some of the samples were laughably tiny.

3. Out of an entire box, I'd only find one item I was excited about using.

Boxycharm just lifted the waitlist for the first time in a long while, so if you're interested in trying it out, now might be a good time. If you want to see what their items are like, search for "Boxycharm March 2018" and the like on YouTube for real reviews.

Oops, I meant Boxycharm! Not birchbox. Sorry about that.

I don't have experience with Ipay, but I did three months with Sephora Play, which is similar. The main difference is that Ipsy and Play do sample sizes, while Boxycharm does full size products. Boxycharm also often gives out full eyeshadow palettes and high quality makeup brushes.

The only advantage I think Ipsy and Play have, in theory, is that they let you customize your profile--however, Boxycharm just announced that they will be doing this too.

The reasons I switched from Play despite the price increase:

1. There was way too much skincare and not enough makeup.

2. Some of the samples were laughably tiny.

3. Out of an entire box, I'd only find one item I was excited about using.

Boxycharm just lifted the waitlist for the first time in a long while, so if you're interested in trying it out, now might be a good time. If you want to see what their items are like, search for "Boxycharm March 2018" and the like on YouTube for real reviews.

Wow. That seems too good a deal for the price. Tho I don’t normally spend $25 a month on makeup either. Usually I spend like $150 twice a year because it seems like everything runs out at the same time. That or I get rid of everything I stopped using and buy fresher/better. And I hate shopping so having something auto sent is a big plus. I’m going to show my dd17 when she gets home and see what she thinks.

An unlimited membership to Orange Theory.  

I love that I don't have to think about what exercise to do next, I just show up and the trainer bosses me around for an hour, hitting both cardio and strength, with individualized tweaks so that I don't have to worry about my fused spine.   In particular, I love that I didn't need to know anything at all about equipment to get started (that was one of my biggest fears, and now I can't imagine life without my daily gym routine).  

• Like 2

I love that I don't have to think about what exercise to do next, I just show up and the trainer bosses me around for an hour, hitting both cardio and strength, with individualized tweaks so that I don't have to worry about my fused spine. In particular, I love that I didn't need to know anything at all about equipment to get started (that was one of my biggest fears, and now I can't imagine life without my daily gym routine).

I’ve never heard of that before. Kudos for sticking with it and finding what works for you without stress is indeed a game changer!

Wow. That seems too good a deal for the price. Tho I don’t normally spend $25 a month on makeup either. Usually I spend like $150 twice a year because it seems like everything runs out at the same time. That or I get rid of everything I stopped using and buy fresher/better. And I hate shopping so having something auto sent is a big plus. I’m going to show my dd17 when she gets home and see what she thinks.

But if you normally spend $150 twice a year, that would be exactly $25 per month! If you get the 12 month sub to Boxy, it's $231 ($19.21/month). ;)

• Like 2

Cleaning lady (although things are tight and I may need to cut this... I am grieving...)

British tea

iPhone

Good haircut with (expensive) stylist who is awesome 

High quality bras

Organic meat/chicken

ETA: Paula's Choice face stuff and Speed Queen washing machine, thanks to you all. Also, I buy Tide. For years I got whatever was on sale. But I love how Tide smells and how well it cleans, so I splurge.

Edited by Janie Grace

I love that I don't have to think about what exercise to do next, I just show up and the trainer bosses me around for an hour, hitting both cardio and strength, with individualized tweaks so that I don't have to worry about my fused spine. In particular, I love that I didn't need to know anything at all about equipment to get started (that was one of my biggest fears, and now I can't imagine life without my daily gym routine).

Hmm I'm going to have to look into this place. Are they nationwide?

I play Pokemon Go! I drive to places that have raids and meet approximately the same crowd and it is a fun outlet for me. I started learning to play a musical instrument and take weekly lessons. And I splurged a lot on cookware in the last few years because I like to cook a lot and it is a pleasure to have good tools.

I play Pokemon Go with the kids, we also attend raids.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I love that I don't have to think about what exercise to do next, I just show up and the trainer bosses me around for an hour, hitting both cardio and strength, with individualized tweaks so that I don't have to worry about my fused spine.   In particular, I love that I didn't need to know anything at all about equipment to get started (that was one of my biggest fears, and now I can't imagine life without my daily gym routine).  

If you don't mind me asking, how much is an unlimited membership. We have an Orange Theory 5 minutes away and the convenience would be fantastic if the membership fits into the budget.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is an unlimited membership. We have an Orange Theory 5 minutes away and the convenience would be fantastic if the membership fits into the budget.

And can you enroll at one location and then use the others, if you're traveling?

We have very similar hobbies. I splurge on good coffee at home too, because then I don’t go out and spend double at a coffee bar.

And fast internet for streaming. We don’t go to movie theaters or pay for cable, but Netflix and Hulu need to work.

Now that we don’t have babysitters close by, I’ve discovered I really need mommy dates alone or with friends. I find it’s not the time with my husband I miss so much as the ability to decompress with adults in general, or get some peace. It doesn’t even have to be expensive, just driving around alone is a nice break.

I splurge with my time on taking a bath almost every night. How did I live without a bath tub for two decades? I LOVE BATHS.

Me and Dh or a friend or even a grown kid have been known to drive to a Quik Trip, Get a drink and chat in the van for hours. You do what works when you can do it.

Like one of the earlier posters, I love IT Cosmetics. Expensive, but my skin is happy and beautiful. I need it.

Swiffers and such. I was being so frugal, laundering such things, and my allergy doctor told me to STOP. She said to get something I can throw away and call it a day.

Good tea.

• Like 1

A good haircut every four/five weeks.  I'm fairly low maintenance otherwise, but this makes a big difference to how I look/feel.  Orthoses and regularly-replaced running shoes.  Membership at my employer's sports centre for unlimited yoga and other classes.

Edited by Laura Corin

We will probably be buying our first home next year. I am totally paying people to clean the house after we get our crap out of it. I am SO sick of rentals and moving...I may pay someone to clean the house we move INTO as well, if needed. Zero guilt.

:iagree:

Also, paying for movers or delivery on large furniture purchases. Worth every penny spent.

Good quality food.

I agree with whoever said British tea.

Coaching. Someone to cheer me on, support me, ask me hard questions when I'm not living up to my potential, and give me accountability.

Attending conferences and trainings in my area of focus.

• Like 1

I bought MK eye make-up in the colors that I have been wearing for two decades, I normally buy grocery store make-up, but the friend selling MK needed the sale and I needed eye shadow anyway. When I looked at myself in the mirror in the evening, I was shocked that my eyes looked the same as they did when I put my make-up on in the morning. I didn’t realize how fast my regular eye shadow disappeared. Now, I am more willing to pay for higher quality make-up (not necessarily MK).

• Like 1

I was thinking most of my splurges have gone away (things super tight) but then I got to thinking.

The one thing I haven't stopped is going out with friends at least a couple times a month. We meet at a fast food place and the kids goof off while we talk.

Now I may not always get food (just a drink) but I we still go. Sometimes we will eat.

I was feeling guilty about spending even that small amount of money but I started thinking. That small splurge brings me a lot of joy. A time to talk and hang out with friends. No more feeling guilty.

• Like 1

I was thinking most of my splurges have gone away (things super tight) but then I got to thinking.

The one thing I haven't stopped is going out with friends at least a couple times a month. We meet at a fast food place and the kids goof off while we talk.

Now I may not always get food (just a drink) but I we still go. Sometimes we will eat.

I was feeling guilty about spending even that small amount of money but I started thinking. That small splurge brings me a lot of joy. A time to talk and hang out with friends. No more feeling guilty.

All we have to show for our lives is the time we spent with people. That’s what memories and connections are made of. I think it’s terrible sad that money should be a barrier to that for anyone and for sure don’t think anyone should feel guilty about it.