Menu

I'm getting tired of salad

Night Elf

I eat several salads a week. Not large ones. I don't put a whole lot in them. Yellow squash, tomatoes, carrots and spinach. Then I use a lite ranch dressing but very little of it. I dip a forkful of salad into the dressing rather than pouring the dressing on top of the salad. I couldn't finish my salad yesterday because I didn't like it. Today I didn't even try one. I'm all salad-ed out. I need veggies though. Maybe I should try a new dressing. I don't like vinaigrette dressings. I like honey mustard but have never tried buying my own so I'd have to choose a brand.

I guess I could also sautee and steam veggies for lunch. Maybe hot food instead of cold raw would be different for a while.

• Like 1

When I grow tired of salad I roast mixed veggies for a while. They reduce when they roast so I can eat a good many veggies at one sitting. I generally roast a quart for a lunch serving if thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s all IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m having.

Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, yellow squash, carrots, radishes....anything goes. I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t eat a whole bowl of any of them but mixed gives a nice variety. Chop them up, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper or whatever seasoning you prefer, and roast.

When you go back to salad, you might try to find a dressing with more flavor. Or you could add your own seasonings to your dressing. I make Pioneer WomanĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s ranch dressing and add lots of herbs. More flavor really helps.

• Like 5

I could try roasting. We have occasional roasted zucchini and carrots with our Hello Fresh meals. I never understand how they're supposed to crisp up though. Ours are always soft. They taste good but they aren't crispy. I usually cook 20-25 minutes.

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 1

I could try roasting. We have occasional roasted zucchini and carrots with our Hello Fresh meals. I never understand how they're supposed to crisp up though. Ours are always soft. They taste good but they aren't crispy. I usually cook 20-25 minutes.

Leave them longer.

Roast some pumpkin too and don't believe anyone who says you should sprinkle it with brown sugar to make it caramelise. If you need to do that, don't use that kind of pumpkin again. 

Make sure you leave enough space- if they are too crowded they steam. Also you can turn up the heat. I have a convection oven and they crisp well when I remember to use that setting.

• Like 2

I eat several salads a week. Not large ones. I don't put a whole lot in them. Yellow squash, tomatoes, carrots and spinach. Then I use a lite ranch dressing but very little of it. I dip a forkful of salad into the dressing rather than pouring the dressing on top of the salad. I couldn't finish my salad yesterday because I didn't like it. Today I didn't even try one. I'm all salad-ed out. I need veggies though. Maybe I should try a new dressing. I don't like vinaigrette dressings. I like honey mustard but have never tried buying my own so I'd have to choose a brand.

I guess I could also sautee and steam veggies for lunch. Maybe hot food instead of cold raw would be different for a while.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a soup girl. Make a vat of veggie soup and freeze in serving-sized portions. Much yummier than salad.

• Like 7

To get veggies in:

snack on raw veggies

make veggie stew

roast veggies

stir fried veggies

Or liven up your salads with some yummy dressing. Vinagrette (ok, just saw you don't like that). Lemon-olive oil. Yoghurt with dill. Tahini lemon. Throw in interesting ingredients like nuts and beans. Nice greens. Fruit. Herbs.

Honestly, a drizzle of ranch lite would turn me off salads, too.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

How about spiralized zucchini? I saute it in garlic and add some marinara. Or if you like beans, toss them with some corn, tomatoes & red pepper with some olive oil and lime juice. Roasted veggies are good hot or cold. I do zucc, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, peppers. Sometimes (hot or cold) I add some fresh mozz in with it.

If you want to try some other types of salads, you might find some inspiration here:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/640461-seeking-suggestionsrecipes-for-non-lettuce-salads/

I really love cooked vegetables too.  Roasted is my favorite.  A good veggie-packed soup is excellent, and that's something that's easy for lunches because you can make a big pot at the beginning of the week, and reheat a little for your lunch each time.

• Like 4

Have you tried any of the salad kits?

Like these

https://eatsmart.net/product-category/gourmet-vegetable-salad-kits/

Costco has the Kale Salad and it is fabulous.  But our local grocery store carries all the different flavors in smaller bags.  They are pricier than make your own but worth tying just to give you some ideas of other things that you might enjoy in your salads.  I find I enjoy salads more when I change up what I put in them.

• Like 4

I agree with those recommending roasted vegetables.  Asparagus and Brussels sprouts are so good roasted; my family doesn't typically like those vegetables but will happily eat them roasted.  

Instead of salad, raw vegetables are great with a yogurt-based dip. For example, raw broccoli, cauliflower, red pepper strips, celery sticks dipped in yogurt mixed with za'atar, an herb blend (found at Cost Plus/World Market but probably other places).  There are lots of dip recipes online.  Sometimes I just do yogurt, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper.  Lemon pepper is good too. If you have sundried tomatoes, they are very good in a yogurt dip.  Or, I love celery stuffed with various cheeses, from American to goat to feta and pretty much everything in between.   

Do a search on ratatouille.  I have a recipe (in an old book, not online) that has zucchini, eggplant, onion, red peppers, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil.  All roasted together; it's dreamy.   This one from Fine Cooking is similar to mine, but without the balsamic.   Don't be put off if you don't have one component, or don't like it. We generally make it without zucchini and it's still delicious.

ETA: Regentrude's post reminded me.  We often add sunflower seeds to our salads.  Nuts are good too. But one favorite is a butter lettuce blend (in the bagged salads at the market), blue cheese dressing, sunflower seeds.  Or, one I take to potlucks:  a mix of spinach and arugula, vinaigrette, crumbled feta, and sunflower seeds.  It gets eaten up every time.   The mild spinach and peppery arugula play off each other well.  I remember when arugula was an expensive, gourmet food, only for rich people.  But now it's in the bagged salads at the supermarket, same price as romaine!   (Disclaimer - in my area.)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

You know, there is a school of thought in traditional Chinese herbal medicine that holds that this time of the year we need hot food more than, say, in the summer, and that uncooked veggies wear out your digestion.

I don't entirely agree with this, since it seems like early humans would had to have eaten a lot of raw food, but it IS true that digesting raw food is in some ways more strenuous than cooked, and maybe your body IS trying to tell you something.

My favorite cooked veggies are asparagus, corn, and artichokes.  Artichokes are in season right now, and they are so good.

• Like 2

I have a couple of salad combinations that I like enough to fix for myself, and that's it.

I don't have much luck roasting vegetables, but I will lightly saute in a bit of oil. Because I like most thoroughly cooked, after getting them lightly browned, I add water or stock to let them finish cooking until the liquid is gone.

I make a lot of vegetable hash, starting with a foundation of onions and potatoes. I'll add any combination of mushrooms, corn, carrots, beets, or leftover vegetables. I do the same here, brown and then add water to finish cooking, stirring occasionally, until all the water is cooked out. The hash itself makes great leftovers, easy to portion out and take a little each day for lunch.

There are also a few simple vegetable soups that I like. One is a squash soup that I add a lot of carrot to for a bit of variety and to make the squash go further.

Most of these things my family doesn't care much for, which is good news--there's more for me, and I can assume it will be there for me the next day!

Are you not eating any pasta/rice or breads? My latest favorite is 1/2 of a smashed avocado spread on a slice of healthy toast, sprinkled with salt. Topping it with nuts would be delicious too!

Note to Carol in California: You are SO lucky to have artichokes available! We used to eat them a LOT, until we moved to the east coast. It must be the transport that kills them. They always look awful, and I saw them in the store today for $3.49 each. Not quite what I remember from living in the west!

• Like 1

Not sure how cold it is where you live, but during winter I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t eat salads.

We eat soup instead as lunch.

During summer I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t eat soups ;)

Yeah this is mostly true for me too and not just because it appeals to me less, but in large part because salad stuff is expensive and half dead in winter.  Although this year I dunno what it is, I had a lot of good luck with produce.  It's like they are doing a better job getting it to us faster or something.  Even strawberries I've bought in the dead of winter were shockingly not terrible.

• Like 1

Are you not eating any pasta/rice or breads? My latest favorite is 1/2 of a smashed avocado spread on a slice of healthy toast, sprinkled with salt. Topping it with nuts would be delicious too!

I do eat pasta, rice and bread. I've just been making some changes to my diet, specifically adding in more fruit and veggies. A salad was the easiest thing I could think to do to get my veggies. I love spinach instead of lettuce. I'm just way bored with the way I'm fixing it and with the dressing I use. I'm picky about dressings. There aren't many I like. I need more than a splash of lemon juice and I don't like oil on my salad so olive oil is out. In fact, I'm so picky about my dressings that I hardly eat any of it with the salad so it's like I"m eating a bowl of raw veggies undressed. 

I'm trying to branch out and try new stuff. Brussel Sprouts are a definite no, I've learned. I want to try asparagus but I'm afraid. I remember trying them a long time ago and I liked the tips but not the stalks. Are the stalks supposed to be eaten? I tried roasting tomatoes but didn't care for that texture. I've eaten roasted carrots and they're not bad. I've been grating them into my salad as I'm not a fan of eating them as is and just biting into them. They're too crunchy.

I haven't had an artichoke since I was a little girl. I don't even know how to buy them or prepare them.

• Like 1

I do eat pasta, rice and bread. I've just been making some changes to my diet, specifically adding in more fruit and veggies. A salad was the easiest thing I could think to do to get my veggies. I love spinach instead of lettuce. I'm just way bored with the way I'm fixing it and with the dressing I use. I'm picky about dressings. There aren't many I like. I need more than a splash of lemon juice and I don't like oil on my salad so olive oil is out. In fact, I'm so picky about my dressings that I hardly eat any of it with the salad so it's like I"m eating a bowl of raw veggies undressed. 

I'm trying to branch out and try new stuff. Brussel Sprouts are a definite no, I've learned. I want to try asparagus but I'm afraid. I remember trying them a long time ago and I liked the tips but not the stalks. Are the stalks supposed to be eaten? I tried roasting tomatoes but didn't care for that texture. I've eaten roasted carrots and they're not bad. I've been grating them into my salad as I'm not a fan of eating them as is and just biting into them. They're too crunchy.

I haven't had an artichoke since I was a little girl. I don't even know how to buy them or prepare them.

Asparagus stalks vary in edibility.  I have read advice to break them, and that that automatically takes the woody, brittle, inedible part off.  I think that works pretty well, but over the years I have learned to see which part is good and which isn't and just cut off the woody part.  Sometimes I misjudge a bit and end up throwing some of the cooked 'end' away, but that is fine.  The thing I like about asparagus spears is that they are pretty good crisp/tender, like in stir fry, but also roasted, but also overcooking them to being pretty soft is still good, not beat to death tasting like overcooked green beans.  So they are hard to ruin.

I agree with you about brussel sprouts.  Their initials describe my reaction to them. 

I like that old fashioned grated carrot salad with a nonfat yogurt dressing and some raisins quite a bit.  I'm much more likely to make it with a food processor than I would have if I had to grate them up by hand.  I also like them about half cooked in a stirfry, a lot.  But fully cooked ones gross me out -- YMMV.  They have a gross soft texture and taste overly sweet like squash, ugh.  But some people like them.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

I peal the stalks.  Lot o people think I'm crazy, but they are much nicer this way IMO. 

Definitely go for asparagus when in season.  It's a hit or miss otherwise.  I bought some a few weeks ago that was pretty awful.  Lot of hard woody pieces (despite snapping off ends and pealing) and a few were insanely bitter.  And I had no idea by just looking at it.  It wasn't exactly in season though so...

Also don't get stalks that are too thin.  Those aren't usually any good.

If you are really worried and don't mind spending the money, I have seen just the tips sold in the prepared veg section of the produce area. 

I don't like oil on my salad so olive oil is out. 

Just remember that the vitamins in spinach and other leafy greens are fat soluble. The fat in the dressing serves an important purpose - without it, your body cannot absorb the vitamins.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

I roast veggies all the time. They crisp/brown best in a shallow metal pan, not crowded, high heat (450-ish). A jelly roll pan or similar works well. 

If you like soup (I LOVE SOUP), that's a great way to get tons of veggies. Google up a recipe that you might like, and start cooking. :) My faves are cream-of-anything, which you can make vegan/super low fat/super healthy or you can use a little cream or tons of cream. :) A good vegetable stock is my go-to base, but chicken stock works great, too. 

• Like 2

What about omelettes?

You can sautĂƒÂ© all kinds of veggies, fold them into an omelet, lay a piece of cheese on top and runnit under the broiler just long enough for the cheese to melt. We have these for breakfast, lunch and dinners, any meal of the day.

You can also make a deconstructed omelet by sautĂƒÂ©ing the veggies and then just scrambling in some beaten eggs, with a little shredded cheese tossed in at the end.

• Like 2

Not salad, but since you said you love spinach, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll share one of my favorite, easy ways to eat it. I like to take a flour tortilla, smear it with some hummus, cover it in spinach, then roll it like a wrap. Yum!

• Like 2

Not salad, but since you said you love spinach, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll share one of my favorite, easy ways to eat it. I like to take a flour tortilla, smear it with some hummus, cover it in spinach, then roll it like a wrap. Yum!

These are nice little snacky bites when you cut the rolled tortilla into pinwheels.

• Like 2

Just remember that the vitamins in spinach and other leafy greens are fat soluble. The fat in the dressing serves an important purpose - without it, your body cannot absorb the vitamins.

But the spinach is oily! Ew! 

At least I didn't choose the spinach for it's nutritional value. I don't like lettuce. I don't get salads in restaurants because they use lettuce.

But the spinach is oily! Ew! 

At least I didn't choose the spinach for it's nutritional value. I don't like lettuce. I don't get salads in restaurants because they use lettuce.

what kind of lettuce don't you like? There are so many different kinds that have different flavors and textures.

I hate iceberg because it is watery and without taste, but love arugula, radicchio, belgian endive, and butter lettuce.

You may want to try out different kinds.

With a good oil based dressing, the leaves don't get "oily". You need to make an emulsion with the acid.

• Like 5

what kind of lettuce don't you like? There are so many different kinds that have different flavors and textures.

I hate iceberg because it is watery and without taste, but love arugula, radicchio, belgian endive, and butter lettuce.

With a good oil based dressing, the leaves don't get "oily". You need to make an emulsion with the acid.

iceberg, romaine mostly. I've heard of arugula on cooking shows but never looked for it at the store.

Are you talking about oil and vinegar dressings?

Are you talking about oil and vinegar dressings?

or oil and lemon juice. Or whatever you use for acidity. Just oil is gross and tasteless.

Also, there are many different kinds of vinegar. The cheap white vinegar tastes only sour; if your issue is with vinegar, you should try a good balsamico or a sherry vinegar. They have interesting, more complex flavors.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

They may be fa soluble, but that doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t require one use an oil based dressing, particularly if one does not enjoy it. There are other ways to consume that fat without needing a whole bunch or using oil.

OP - have some nuts with your spinach, or make a nut based dressing. Add some cheese. Seeds have fat. So does hummus if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a commercial brand that adds oil and tahini. If you eat/like eggs, you can add some hard-boiled eggs. It doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to be a vinaigrette and it certainly doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to be oil if thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not something you enjoy.

• Like 4

They may be fa soluble, but that doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t require one use an oil based dressing, particularly if one does not enjoy it. There are other ways to consume that fat without needing a whole bunch or using oil.

OP - have some nuts with your spinach, or make a nut based dressing. Add some cheese. Seeds have fat. So does hummus if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a commercial brand that adds oil and tahini. If you eat/like eggs, you can add some hard-boiled eggs. It doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to be a vinaigrette and it certainly doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to be oil if thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not something you enjoy.

sure - it does not matter where the oil comes from; if it's oil from nuts or seeds or tahini, that is fine, too.

But I was under the impression the OP used a lite, ie fat free, dressing on plain veggies. 

Edited by regentrude

Yea I thought the same...could add cheese or bacon bits.

But plain oil is kinda ick. It's much different mixed with vinegar.

And then you have the added benefit of choosing something that has more than just fat. Cheese and bacon have protein. Nuts would add some protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Oil just adds fat.

And then you have the added benefit of choosing something that has more than just fat. Cheese and bacon have protein. Nuts would add some protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Oil just adds fat.

I'm not anti fat.  ; )

But yup.   There are options.

Fat free dressings are pretty yucky to me though.  They are loaded with sugar.  How is that better? 

• Like 1

sure - it does not matter where the oil comes from; if it's oil from nuts or seeds or tahini, that is fine, too.

But I was under the impression the OP used a lite, ie fat free, dressing on plain veggies.

Adding in something like nuts or seeds in her case would probably be something far more palatable and accessible than choosing an oil based dressing. She can keep the dressing she likes and add interest to her salad.

Plus, lite dressing is not the same thing as fat free. Hidden Valley Ranch Light has 7 grams of fat - https://www.hiddenvalley.com/products/bottled-dressings/light-fat-free-and-organic/original-ranch-light/ - and thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not unusual. Light dressings typically have anywhere from 3-7 grams of fat in them.

I'm not anti fat. ; )

But yup. There are options.

Fat free dressings are pretty yucky to me though. They are loaded with sugar. How is that better?

OP said light dressing, she did not say fat free. Dietary goals differ so choosing a dressing with fewer calories is often a helpful option for meeting those different goals.

I agree with this.. I didn't really like salad until I discovered butter lettuces.  Now I'm crazy for them.

Salads I like:

green stuff, red onion, chopped apple/grapes/raisins/craisins (whatever I have), seeds or nuts of some kind, plus balsamic vinaigrette.  

green stuff, corn (from can), chopped cucumber, cubed beets (our store sells them already cooked and cubed) plus Italian dressing

Carrot-raisin (or apple)-mayo salad

shredded raw beets with any salad dressing

Poppyseed dressing on spinach

Cole slaw

Other ways to get in easy veggies:

I LOVE vegetable sticks with French Onion Dip (William-Sonoma recipe on their website is THE BEST)

Veggie soups

Veggie sticks with a soft cheese (I like the ones that have garlic and herbs mixed in, like boursin)

• Like 1

Since the OP likes creamy dressings and roasted veggies, what about a roasted cabbage ceasar salad? The dressing is vegan, but you could akways substitute your own - https://gratefulgrazer.com/home/vegan-roasted-cabbage-caesar-salad/

Or on the same theme, but with ranch dressing. This one has a jalapeĂƒÂ±o ranch dressing, but you can use your preferred dressing. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s on top of kale, but you donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to use the kale. Any sturdy green would and you can quick blanch the greens if they are too assertive or massage them a bit to help tame their assertive notes. Or skip greens altogether. http://robustrecipes.com/roasted-veggie-salad-skinny-jalapeno-ranch-dressing/

This recipe uses a creamy dressing and no greens - https://www.afamilyfeast.com/winter-vegetable-salad/ - Adjust the amount of dressing to your taste/dietary goals. You can mix the dressing with some low-fat plain yogurt to help dilute the calories a bit while keeping the amount of dressing in line with the recipe, too if that helps.

I'm another soup lover. I sautĂƒÂ©e a bunch of veggies, add 6 cups of broth, a cup of diced cooked chicken, and a half cup or so of wild rice mix. Cook 30 minutes. It makes a delicious chicken & rice soup (and the batch I made was 15 smart points for the whole batch! And it made five huge bowls.)

Tonight I made the sausage kale skillet meal from Budget Bytes. My version was 23 smart points for 4 big servings.

I don't do freestyle, but it would be less under that plan because of the chickpeas. The chicken rice soup would be less if you didn't count points on the chicken.