Menu

s/o flu: Would you go to the doc if you didn't want Tamiflu?

Hyacinth

If you are relatively healthy but start experiencing signs/symptoms of the flu, is there a benefit to being seen by the doctor other than the Tamiflu prescription? Does the diagnosis help in some way? Or is riding it out with whatever remedies one would usually use for similar symptoms be your preferred course of action?

No, not unless they also have signs of something else - strep, or someone has trouble breathing, in which case I check their oxygen level (have a finger monitor in the first aid kit), and if oxygen level is low I call 911, otherwise go to hospital after calling pediatrician.

• Like 2

Last year I was really sick, suspected flu, but I wasn’t interested in Tamiflu. After almost a week, the coughing was so bad that I did go to the doctor. They tested for flu and it was positive. I wouldn’t have gone if I hadn’t needed something for the cough.

Also last year, I took my asthmatic kid in because she was wheezing.

We took my daughter because we didn't know what was going on, because it hit hard and fast. there were few reports of the flu and since it had been since the H1N1 that it had been in our house. This was several days before Christmas. We did not do Tamiflu. She was not vaccinated. She was only down for about 4-5 days.

Several days later, on Christmas day, I came down with similar symptoms. I was vaccinated. I just stayed in bed for a couple of days and within about 3 days I was feeling a lot better. 

The other three people in the house didn't get it. 

If one of them would show symptoms, I probably would not take them unless there was an additional reason to. 

• Like 1

Nope, better to rest at home and not risk exposing others to my germs. Especially when it comes to the pediatrician, since our office is small and we almost always encounter newborns there. However, if I'm concerned I don't hesitate to call and ask the nurse or doctor about the worrying symptoms. When they've advised coming in, it has been to check for strep. Otherwise they tell me what kinds of things would merit either coming in or going to the ER.

• Like 2

When I had the flu last year I just did home remedies. I quarantined myself in my bedroom and only my DH was allowed in there. He made me stay for a full week even though I felt fine enough by day 5. I didn't have the flu vaccine and I didn't use any fever reducers. I was the only one in the house that was sick.

• Like 2

No, not for a normally healthy person.

Other than giving the usual common sense advice of resting and drinking plenty, or advice on OTC products to relieve symptoms (both topics that most  normally intelligent adults already know or should know) I don't see how it would help to go in.

Now if you (1) have an underlying health condition that could complicate things or (2) felt like you were getting worse/developing a secondary infection -- of course.

• Like 3

I honestly don't know.

Last time, I just didn't want to move my body to the doctor's office.  Years later, I know that I'm prone to illness-triggered asthma/bronchitis that doctors and nurses peg as pneumonia before x-rays come back.  I suppose I probably should take the time to at least get a new inhaler prescription...

I've never knowingly had the flu, so perhaps if it hit bad, I'd change my mind.

In general though, no, I wouldn't go.  I'd crawl into my cave and wait it out.  The big thing for me would be to stay away from other people so I didn't give it to anyone.

It takes an awful lot for me to go to a doctor and even then I think I have the bar set too low because my experiences IRL haven't matched my ideal world or Hollywood's versions of what happens.  Or I'll go for something I know is needed (tetanus shot, etc) or fixable (carpal tunnel).

YMMV

• Like 1

I've never knowingly had the flu, so perhaps if it hit bad, I'd change my mind.

You know when you have the flu. I've only had the flu, as an adult, twice. Never went to the doctor either time. It's so different from a normal cold. What's ironic is that I get sicker for longer with a normal cold than I did with the flu. 

• Like 2

You know when you have the flu. I've only had the flu, as an adult, twice. Never went to the doctor either time. It's so different from a normal cold. What's ironic is that I get sicker for longer with a normal cold than I did with the flu. 

This is what I hear, but then I'm also told that some folks don't actually get that sick or get any symptoms at all and are considered carriers when they have it.  I have no idea if I'm in that crowd, but it's what convinced me 4 years ago to get the flu shot even though I've never had the flu symptoms with multiple upon multiple exposures from working in a public school with teachers and students who have definitely had the flu.  Even if I'm just a carrier I want my body to try to get rid of it more quickly or fend it off.

I have no idea if the shot helps with that or not, but I figured it can't hurt and might help.  That's important to me considering the folks I'm around.  I don't want to be Typhoid Mary, esp in a bad year and esp around some immune compromised people - like my mom this year, but also other students, etc.

• Like 1

Yes. There are some similar viruses going around that aren’t flu. Knowing what you are dealing with is helpful. Also, should there be complications, there is information already available for the doctor to make decisions based on.

The bolded: how so? What would be the difference?

No. I had the flu and have recovered, but the effect is still there (exhaustion and brain fog). I don't want tamiflu or advise to take rest and sleep and keep hydrated. I never understood what the doctors can do for the flu - except prescribe tamiflu, which is not really quick acting according to what I saw in several family members. I take elderberry, zinc, Emergen-C thrice a day, drink orange juice, get a lot of sleep and stay hydrated. 

Disclaimer:  doctors are saying that many of the deaths due to flu this year could have been avoided if the victim had taken the vaccine and tamiflu. So, that fact overrides my personal opinions. Also, if the person with flu is prone to secondary infections or has immune issues, then, it is necessary to go to the doctor. 

Yes. There are some similar viruses going around that aren’t flu. Knowing what you are dealing with is helpful. Also, should there be complications, there is information already available for the doctor to make decisions based on.

The bolded: how so? What would be the difference?

This is my real question. What difference does it make? Wouldn't the medical advice be essentially the same whether someone had the flu, a bad head cold, or some other viral infection with similar symptoms? Rest, liquids, eat if/when it feels right, stay away from people, pain relievers if needed . . . (provided no breathing complications or other concerns based on medical history). 

• Like 2

Whenever any of us have gone to the doctor for a complication following what we thought was the flu the provider has taken our word for it (after having us describe our symptoms, of course). Plus I don't really think it matters all that much if you have pneumonia or bronchitis if it's a side effect of the flu or of a cold. They're going to treat it  the same way regardless, aren't they?

Edited by Pawz4me

Most viruses have a 2 week incubation period, followed by a 2 week run of activation. Your symptoms will almost

always get "worse" around the 5th or 6th day. This is like the final PUSH your body is doing to rid your body of the invader.

MOST of the time (eg, minus mitigating circumstances), there is absolutely no reason to go see the doctor for a virus.

It is completely treatable at home.

Possible complications, usual duration, and other information is available if you know what you have. Even knowing which flu virus you have can be helpful. Especially this year when one strain is particularly bad.

But one can simply watch out for possible complications and see the doc if those arise. I don't see how dragging to the doctor's office sick just to receive this info is beneficial or necessary

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

This is supposed to work as well and is over the counter.  Many combine this and elderberry syrup.  And it doesn't have the negative side effects of Tamiflu.

81uynseJxjL._SX522_.jpg

This is LITERALLY a sugar pill.  It contains NO medicine whatsoever.  Please research before you waste your money on this trash.

ETA:  If you're going for alternative medicine, at least use something shown to have some effect: drinking alcohol, Vitamin D, elderberries, and some essential oils all have been shown to have anti-viral effects, though for some strange reason the people that push these ridiculous sugar pills think those things are nutty.

The placebo effect may be real, but a hot toddy is clinically more effective.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 2

If I went, it would be to rule it out so that I'd know if I could come in contact with more people. We know a couple of families with a member who is mildly immunocompromised - we're not talking bubbles here, but who need to avoid more germs than the average person. Sometimes we go in to get tested for strep or flu when I would otherwise just ride it out - if we have a run of the mill cold, then we're all less worried about coming into contact with those folks over a longer time. Of course we're going to stay away when sick, but if it was the flu or strep, we give it a much wider berth at their request.