Menu

Do you follow the stock market?

Bootsie

I follow it enough to keep an eye on our retirement savings, but we have a company that handles it. They do the buying and selling. We meet with the financial guy quarterly to determine if we still want things the way they are (how much risk, domestic vs. international, etc.) but we don't deal with the day to day stuff.

Only on the news and then only because we wonder what the reaction is going to be as the state of the economy can affect hubby's job so I need to beware of potential income changes.  We have our investments and are keeping them for a little bit (or a while) yet.  They definitely aren't all in stocks.

• Like 2

Yes.  On Friday, I just re-mixed up my 401K to 80% stocks/20% bonds because I have no plans to retire in the near future and I have a very  high risk tolerance.  But, oh, my stomach.....

My mom has a decent bit of GE stock.  Another stomach-roiling ride.

Edited by reefgazer

Maybe it will become slightly tethered to reality again? This correction has been long forecasted and discussed....and the Fed Reserve has been saying that interest rates would be going up (see December's meeting and about every meeting before that for the last few years).

I honestly thought this correction would've happened last spring...after a certain election and following the Brexit mess and some other regional policy changes.

• Like 1

I just looked and the DJIA is down to where it was around Thanksgiving. It has been rising so precipitously (is that the word I'm looking for?), there was bound to be a correction. The big question is how much it'll drop and what effect that will have. 

Maybe it will become slightly tethered to reality again? This correction has been long forecasted and discussed....and the Fed Reserve has been saying that interest rates would be going up (see December's meeting and about every meeting before that for the last few years).

I honestly thought this correction would've happened last spring...after a certain election and following the Brexit mess and some other regional policy changes.

I think one of the biggest concerns is the impact that rising interest rates will have on the deficit, given the level of the national debt.

• Like 2

Yes.  On Friday, I just re-mixed up my 401K to 80% stocks/20% bonds because I have no plans to retire in the near future and I have a very  high risk tolerance.  But, oh, my stomach.....

My mom has a decent bit of GE stock.  Another stomach-roiling ride.

So...any quick recommendations on EFTs? :) I am tempted. Decisions. Decisions.

Edited by Liz CA

FWIW there is no need to be in any hurry to dive into this market.  A continued correction is much more likely than a quick reversal.  If you feel this is a buying opportunity and have cash, buying incrementally is probably smarter than unloading your clip all at once.

ETA: And as I typed this the DOW dropped 170 points in just a few minutes.  This correction is being pushed by the automatic trading algorithms as much as anything right now, which is why I expect to see more blood in the street for at least a few weeks.

Edited by ChocolateReignRemix
  • Like 5

FWIW there is no need to be in any hurry to dive into this market.  A continued correction is much more likely than a quick reversal.  If you feel this is a buying opportunity and have cash, buying incrementally is probably smarter than unloading your clip all at once.

ETA: And as I typed this the DOW dropped 170 points in just a few minutes.  This correction is being pushed by the automatic trading algorithms as much as anything right now, which is why I expect to see more blood in the street for at least a few weeks.

And that drop was after the DOW had been up about 350 poinits earlier today, so we have had over a 500 point swing within the first two hours of trading today; the market volatility is high.

• Like 3

And that drop was after the DOW had been up about 350 poinits earlier today, so we have had over a 500 point swing within the first two hours of trading today; the market volatility is high.

I slept in and missed the early bump.  I think Wednesday-Thursday we went from up 350 at one point on Wednesday to a small loss and then the cliff jump on Thursday.  Of course on Thursday I think the last 500 points of the drop occurred in the last hour.