Menu

Okay, Folks, please list the Christmas cookies and other baking you do here.

First: JEAN IN NEWCASTLE: DO NOT READ THIS THREAD!!!! (I'm hoping to sneak it past you.)

Please list the Christmas cookies and other baking you do. Just the recipe name will do for now, but you know others will be asking for them, so be prepared to cough up the recipes.

Cookies:

Russian teacakes (a/k/a Mexican wedding cookies)

Date nut cookies (hermits with dates, pecans, raisins)

Sugar cookies

Lebkuchen (usually buy, trying to find the perfect recipe)

Gingerbread People (eggless recipe, kids love them)

Peanut butter cookies

Chocolate chip cookies

Oatmeal cookies

Cakes/Breads:

Stollen (sometimes I buy, sometimes I bake)

Layer cake made in special Christmas-shaped pan

Pumpkin bread

Please, list what you make. I'd like some ideas to try.

Thanks,

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

This is a great list with links to every cookie recipe Mrs. Claus cooks each holiday season! I plan to make as many as I have the energy to attempt! What a treasure to have a freezer stuffed with cookies!! :drool5: Enjoy~

Ginger

http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/cat0001.html

Edited by Blueridge
forgot something:)

Mmm. Just shoot me now! :drool:

We do:

Russian Tea Cakes

Spritz

Jelly diagonals

Cream Cheese cookies (walnut filling)

And whatever else the kids beg for, like peanut butter kisses.

The only other baking I do for Christmas is Bulla, a Swedish coffee bread that, imo, is a pain in the butt to make but SO worth it!

Okay, some years I also make chocolate truffles, but that's an even bigger pain.

Growing up, there were about a dozen different cookies on the list, but I finally learned to quit wasting my time on the ones that weren't favorites.

I make loads of Moravian Sugar Cakes (a yeasted coffee cake) as gifts for neighbors and friends. Pecan tartlets are an anticipated gift by one friend. Put Russian tea cakes on my list as well as whatever kind of cookies I am in the mood to bake.

And although you did not list candy making, I will mention making caramels since that is one of my main holiday production numbers.

Orange Cranberry Muffins

Ginger Crunch

Shortbread

I usually do less baking not more at Christmas. Maybe this year I will enlist dd to do most of it.

If you want to talk main meals...I have a whole list of those. We have traditions for the whole week.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Sugar cookies, chocolate peppermint crinkles, molasses crinkles, snickerdoodles, chocolate chip cookies, cranberry bread, gingerbread, pretzel candy, chocolate pecan drops,

Sometimes I make fruit cake with crushed pineapple, dried apricots, raisins and pecans.

I make holiday treat trays for Thanksgiving and Yule every year.

I just started the chocolate covered cherries and the blackberry truffles today. They both freeze well. And the cherries need a few weeks to set anyway.

There will be my triple-nut caramel bars, some sort of fudge, chocolate covered caramels, lemon bars, a classic sugar cookie of some kind, something with coconut, and Rice Krispie holiday trees. I try to make two or three things a week from now until the first week or so of December.

I need something good with coconut because I've got THREE bags leftover from last year in my freezer.

And I'm thinking about molasses taffy this year.

Jen

Great. Keep the ideas coming. I forgot that I want to make fruitcake, fudge, and chocolate truffles.

Also, I have a cookie shooter thing that my sister gave me years ago. Do the cookies in the recipes that come with it taste good, or do any of you have an alternative?

I am going to try to make a lot of this ahead, and freeze it. This has been my resolution for 14 years, and I have never accomplished it, not even once.

Thanks,

RC

RebeccaC emailed me and told me to add to this list...ok, I make about 17 or more different types each season (some in advance if they are freezable) then a day or so before Christmas I take cookies out of the freezer and with the tons unfrozen assemble cookie trays for relatives, neighbors, the folks who put on the Christmas Children's Choir in which the girls sing, and RebeccaC ;)

Last year I made: (I keep a list each year, mark which ones were great and which were bleah, I ahve lists for the past ten years!!)

Date-filled nut things

Almond pretzels

Nurenburger (honey fruit things)

iced sugar cookies

Andes mint cookies (had to do this one three times as we keep eating them!!)

Iced lemon drops

Brandy balls

Peanutbutter kisses

Cherry-filled chocolate drops with choc.cherry icing

Iced chocolate drops

Gingersnaps

Russian teacakes

Coconut chewies

Pignoli (pinenut-studded marzipan cookies!!!)

Cardamom butter cookies with espresso/chocolate drizzled on top YUM!!!

Chocolate sparkles

orange cranberry cookies

mocha butterballs

more gingersnaps with candied ginger in them

This year I will drop some of the above and do:

praline butter cookies

kolachy

chocolate-filled walnut drops

pistachio coins

lemon-cheese pressed cookies 9althogh my cookie press gives me fits!@!!)

Benne drops (sesame seed)

and whatever else seems interesting.

Oh - and I usually end up with extra egg whites so have meringues, too to use up the whites.

RebeccaC emailed me and told me to add to this list...ok, I make about 17 or more different types each season (some in advance if they are freezable) then a day or so before Christmas I take cookies out of the freezer and with the tons unfrozen assemble cookie trays for relatives, neighbors, the folks who put on the Christmas Children's Choir in which the girls sing, and RebeccaC ;)

Last year I made:

Date-filled nut things

Almond pretzels

iced sugar cookies

Iced lemon drops

Brandy balls

Peanutbutter kisses

Iced chocolate drops

Gingersnaps

Russian teacakes

Coconut chewies

Chocolate sparkles

orange cranberry cookies

mocha butterballs

praline butter cookies

kolachy

pistachio coins

Oh - and I usually end up with extra egg whites so have meringues, too to use up the whites.

These are the absolute BEST cookies ever! My family would so do without the cookie tradition if it were not for JFS2403_worshipper.gif The Queen of Baking:party:

Here goes:

Mexican Wedding Cakes

Cherry Drops

Sugar Cookie Santas

Cornflake wreaths

Fudge

Soft Cocoa Cookies

Peppermint Bark

Gingerbread boys and girls

Brandy Snaps

And an assortment of breads (pumpkin, banana nut, poppyseed, sometimes cherry nut)

Date-filled nut things

Almond pretzels

iced sugar cookies

Iced lemon drops

Brandy balls

Peanutbutter kisses

Iced chocolate drops

Gingersnaps

Russian teacakes

Coconut chewies

Chocolate sparkles

orange cranberry cookies

mocha butterballs

praline butter cookies

kolachy

pistachio coins

In your spare time, since I'm sure you have so much of it, could you manage to whip up a quick and dirty cookbook of all this??? These sound fabulous and I'd really love several new and cool cookies and such this year to bake.

Please, please, pretty please? :)

Can't exactly remember last year's list...

Danish pastry

spritz

Grandma's almond ice box cookies

sugar cookies (for kids decorating party)

Kay's ginger cookies (a molasses cookie with some changes)

chocolate-orange biscotti

chocolate crinkles

peanut butter cookies a peanut butter biscotti would be good...

pecan crescents

I want to try white chocolate-cashew coffee biscotti this year.

Cardamon cake is good, too

I'm making my fantabulous Batik Cake, as is tradition. You can find the recipe "In the Kitchen" social group. Great stuff, weighs about 2 kg all up. First time I made it, I had to weigh it on the bathroom scales! Funny reading this thread. We have no tradition of baking bikkies for Christmas, over here. I suppose if we had Christmas in the middle of winter we'd be looking for excuses to have the stove on and warming the house up too.

:)

Rosie

Sugar cookie cut-outs (betty crocker bag mixes) with homemade icing which I tint various colors

Peanut Butter fudge

Chocolate fudge

we may make divinity or truffles this year

Chocolate or vanilla dipped pretzels and marshmallows

Biscuits and gravy (Christmas morning tradition and dh actually cooks this)

:001_smile:

My most commonly holiday baked goods (don't necessarily do each one every year)

fudge

baklava

pumpkin cookies

Homemade caramel corn

oreo truffles

peanut butter truffles

saltine toffee

pumpkin cranberry bread

ginger snaps

cranberry oatmeal cookies

gingerbread men

white velvet cutouts

orange balls

candy cane snowballs

dipped pecan spritz

almond sugar cookies

pecan pie

banana cake

spiced sugar nuts

pecan caramel candies (pretzles rolos, pecans)

puppy chow

peppermint bark

For meals, my traditional favorites that I bring to my family gathering:

Strawberry Pretzel Salad

Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls (brunch)

Sweet Potato Cassserole

Spinach Cranberry Salad

Green Bean Casserole

The biggest day of meal preparation happens the day before Christmas Eve for my husband's Polish side of the family:

All of the ladies get together to make the world's largest supply of pierogis stuffed with either potatoes and onions, plain potatoes, or saurkraut.

Edited by ThelmaLou

Aside from cookies, I also make my own mincemeat and make a pie for everyone else to eat (I hate mincemeat!), cinnamon rolls for breakfast, a big birthday cake since it is His birthday, after all ;) (and my son with autism loves him some chocolate cake!), and usually another pie or something. We also buy lots of those long hard pretzels and dip them in melted almond bark and sprinkle on chopped nuts, crushed peppermints, sprinkles, etc. Some of these are wrapped in plastic wrap and decorated with ribbons and become mroe gifts for relatives from the kids.

I started a new thread in which we should all share ONE of our favorite recipes.

I hoping to see some of your recipes...Ricotta Cheese cookies? Oreo truffles? Hard Tack candy? Batik cake? Mashed potato candy? Ginger Crunch? Moravian Sugar cake? Bulla? RECIPES!!!!!!!!!!!! I shared pignoli in the other thread...

PS - what is a Smoking bishop? Sounds Monty Pythonish....

what is a Smoking bishop? Sounds Monty Pythonish....

It's the drink that Scrooge takes Cratchitt to have at the end of the Christmas Carol.

Here's Dickens' "Smoking Bishop" recipe:

• Take six Seville oranges and bake them in a moderate oven until pale brown. If you cannot procure any bitter Seville oranges, use four regular oranges and one large grapefruit.

• Prick each of the oranges with five whole cloves, put them into a warmed ceramic or glass vessel with one-quarter pound of sugar and a bottle of red wine, cover the vessel, and leave it in a warm place for 24 hours.

• Take the oranges out of the mixture, cut in half and squeeze the juice, then pour the juice back into the wine.

• Pour the mixture into a saucepan through a sieve, add a bottle of port, heat (without boiling), and serve in warmed glasses.

• Drink the mixture, and keep Christmas well!

(Note: Paul McClowsky of The Dark Horse Inn in Philadelphia recommends bringing the mixture to a boil, then simmering for an hour, adding brandy, brown sugar and orange juice.)