Menu

Trader Joe’s is a minefield

solascriptura

Don't ask me.  I spent a lot of $ Trader Joe's this weekend.  I am putting most of it in my children's stockings, but lebkuchen has a special place in my heart, and I very quietly ate a few last night after the children went to bed.

The caramel assortment also looked pretty tempting. I left it there, as I was sure I would eat it if I bought it.

• Like 1

I will help you avoid an item- pumpkin soup crackers. They were giving out samples of these. I can’t describe the taste of these things but I couldn’t wait to get home and brush my teeth.

For candy- sponge candy. It is similar to a crunchie bar and it is heaven. You must buy it and try it.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

I was dismayed to find I could buy very little of what I picked up there recently. It seems almost everything has coconut, our one food allergy. Even Danish cookies--talk about a non traditional ingredient! Grrrr. I can't wait for this trend to die out. :(

I thought they usually have coconut?  They always tasted coconutty to me anyway.

That's a bummer though.

• Like 4

Cookie Butter Cheesecake.    

Chocolate Mint Crunch candy bar

Chocolate covered potato chips.   

For DH and a good friend of ours I get the chocolate covered toffee.  

Yeah, that totally sucks on the coconut.   You have to read the ingredient list closely on the cookies.   There is one chocolate chip version that doesn't have it.    I don't have an allergy, but I hate and despise it.   My personal opinion is that it is one of those things that needs to be in the name.    It is as weird as adding chocolate chips to your oatmeal cookie recipe and then still calling them "Oatmeal Cookies".    Although that example would be better because you could SEE the chocolate chips.   

The only things I avoid there is the sushi and most chocolate chip cookies.  I work over a Trader Joes, so I'm in there about 4 times a week.   

• Like 1

I will help you avoid an item- pumpkin soup crackers. They were giving out samples of these. I can’t describe the taste of these things but I couldn’t wait to get home and brush my teeth.

For candy- sponge candy. It is similar to a crunchie bar and it is heaven. You must buy it and try it.

I saw that sponge candy looking innocently on the shelf. I tell you... I must have memorized every Christmas item on their shelves.

I thought they usually have coconut?  They always tasted coconutty to me anyway.

That's a bummer though.

Yeah, pretty sure that's a standard thing in certain northern European cookies.  It sticks in my mind because it always struck me as odd, as does the Swedish habit of  putting cardamom in baked goods (which I love, by the way, but, still, how did Swedish bakers decide that was the thing to do?)

• Like 1

If peppermint chocolate covered jo-jo's are just too much for you--too much sugar, too much decadence, just too much--you might try the stelle di notte cookies. These are simple, crunchy, chocolate-hazlenut cookies, just $1.99 a bag and just 140 calories in 4 cookies. Not too over-the-top, nice yummy treat.

I thought they usually have coconut? They always tasted coconutty to me anyway.

That's a bummer though.

Hmmm, idk. We used to have them every year (not from TJs) and DH is seriously allergic to coconut so whatever brand we used to eat definitely didn't have it. Pretty sure the kind I grew up with didn't either; I don't like coconut and think it would have turned me off. Seems they were basically just shortbread. I'm sure there are various kinds, though.

• Like 1

I like the Jingle Jangle ice cream better than the tinned mix.

We love the dark chocolate non pareil covered star cookies.  They disappear fast in our household.

Peppermint Jo Jos are my DS2's favorite.

I bought the turkey breast en croute (frozen) before Thanksgiving and it was really good and easy to make.  I didn't use the gravy or cranberry sauce that came with it, though.  It's a turkey breast and stuffing wrapped in puffed pastry. 

Trader Joe's Drinking Chocolate is a favorite of mine, and the kids love the Magic Moo (not seasonal).

Always buy the trio of hand creams and this year I bought a trio of face masks.

Saw that! Is it that good? What sorts of foods do you use to dip the fondue?

It is a normal white fondue, except microwavable without separating.   So, the normal things you'd dunk in fondue.   The nice thing about this version is that you can just heat up a little of it, like I mentioned upthread with the ham.   I spoon a little on some ham and microwave for 30 seconds.   You could do the same thing with a slice of sturdy bread.