Menu

Holiday Menus!

lavender's green

What are y'all cooking for the holidays?

We're getting bored with our usual holiday standbys. I shine when it comes to desserts and appetizers, but the main meals are lacking. I guess it's partly because I intentionally keep it simple (meat, veg, salad, starch, cranberry sauce, gravy). Simplicity is good, don't get me wrong, but I want to see my family devour a holiday meal the way they devour the evening-before cheeseball. Or maybe I should just switch over to a heavy appetizer meal.

Anyway, let's have a thread about meal plans!

Dh might smoke a turkey to bring to ddil's parents' house. Dss and ddil usually host but he's working (he's a firefighter/paremedic) and ddil's mother said she wants to host something very low key. Nibble food or food kept warm in a crock pot is the plan. There won't be a sit down dinner; instead everyone will just eat when hungry or graze throughout the day.

Normally I would make ravioli and meatballs (my mother's traditional Christmas meal). Due to the above plans I'm thinking of just making meatballs (no ravioli or other pasta) and making them cocktail size though still Italian style with sauce. They can stay warm in my crock pot and will be the right size for our planned appetizer style menu.

• Like 3

Raviolis, garlic bread, salad, cranberry sauce and frosted sugar cookies for dessert on Christmas Eve.  Pretty easy stuff.  

MIL has an easy dinner for Christmas - brisket and ham, rolls, Bob Evans mashed potatoes, some kind of vegetable...

ETA:  for Christmas breakfast we've been having bagels with eggs, cheese, and sausage.  I used to always make some kind of breakfast casserole but couldn't find something everyone agreed on.  The bagels make everyone happy.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

One our meals is just appetizers. My kids love it. MIL loves it and we can just grab what we like and go with it.

I often ask for input as to which ones to make so everyone gets a choice.

Go with what you enjoy and makes it simple for you.

• Like 2

Dh might smoke a turkey to bring to ddil's parents' house. Dss and ddil usually host but he's working (he's a firefighter/paremedic) and ddil's mother said she wants to host something very low key. Nibble food or food kept warm in a crock pot is the plan. There won't be a sit down dinner; instead everyone will just eat when hungry or graze throughout the day.

Normally I would make ravioli and meatballs (my mother's traditional Christmas meal). Due to the above plans I'm thinking of just making meatballs (no ravioli or other pasta) and making them cocktail size though still Italian style with sauce. They can stay warm in my crock pot and will be the right size for our planned appetizer style menu.

Awesome...I'm really warming up to the idea of an appetizer menu. My kids go bananas over meatballs, but in my mind they've always been categorized under "easy freezer meal." Gonna re-think that one.

• Like 1

We do appetizers and graze all day. If I am really ambitious we do a sandwich tray too. I want to relax with my family, not cook and clean all day. I do that the rest of the year and Christmas is supposed to be special, right? 😀

Luckily my family is all on board and no one gives me grief about this. We do a nice meal on tree decorating day though. This year it was a roast.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 2

We've had trouble establishing a tradition for Christmas Eve and Christmas dinners. My kids don't like lasagna, which is what my mom always made for Christmas Eve. I also grew up with prime rib and yorkshire pudding for Christmas day, and while everyone eats it, they don't LOVE it, and we end up with expensive leftovers that don't get eaten. We tried the appetizer thing and it felt too much like junk food. I discovered that after weeks of holiday eating, everyone is in the mood for something a little healthier. So for the last couple of years we've grilled tri-tip steaks for Christmas day (even though it is not grilling season in Oregon) and had mashed potatoes, salad, rolls, and chocolate ice cream for dessert. Everyone likes that and it's not too much work. Last year we did chicken Kiev for Christmas Eve and everyone liked that more than the appetizer/KFC/pizza type dinners we had previously tried. So we'll probably do that again.

• Like 1

Christmas Eve growing up was always paella.  I imagine I'll start that with my own kids when they aren't all in bed by 6:30.

Right now, Christmas Eve dinner for DH and I and any other adults who've come to celebrate with us is individual Beef Wellingtons.  I make them ahead of time (slated for this weekend), and freeze them, so all I have to do Christmas Eve is bake them, toss together a salad and a veggie side.  I also make extra for our Valentine's Day dinner while I'm at it.

Christmas morning is a French toast casserole and an egg casserole, and I leave them out and encourage nibbling.  We have spaghetti and meatballs as a late lunch/early dinner, also straight from my freezer, with pre-made garlic bread and an easy salad.

• Like 1

Another idea, depending on the number of people is to ask each family member to name 1 thing they would like. Then see if it at all resembles an easy menu.

We did that for Thanksgiving and DH chose deep fried turkey, one kid chose a special triple chocolate cake, one chose brussel sprouts, one hot potato salad, etc. In the end it made a meal and everyone was happy.

• Like 1

I do the giant appetizer feast but I throw in cheese/sausage, veggie/dip and a rainbow of fruit platter to balance out the junkier parts.  The fruit platter is always the first to empty out.  

Other times we order a large number of items from the Chinese takeout and let everyone create their own buffet from it.

We also like fondue (I just by the premade cheese, making it from scratch was way too much effort).

For New Year's Day we also have cold peel and eat shrimp.  It's great because it's all made the day before.  

We do the appetizer dinner on Christmas Eve with cookies and candy if I've made any more dessert.  Christmas breakfast is something like French toast or cinnamon rolls with something to balance the carbs a bit (sausage, a little cheese). Christmas day is always a roast beef (the closest to prime rib I can afford at the time), some form of potatoes, some vegetable, dinner rolls, black olives, and a bigger dessert like a cake.  

I like to celebrate our culinary heritages Christmas Eve. The last few years we've have Quebecois tourtiere, or spiced meat pie, with roasted root veggies, salad, and tarte au sucre. But this year we might go with my husband's Lebanese background and have kibbeh, tabouli, hummus, baba ghanouj, rice, stuffed grape leaves and baklava. I'd purchase all but the kibbeh, tabouli and rice.

To keep things easy Christmas day I often do steak, potatoes, sautéed peppers and onions, and greens, then whatever sounds good for dessert. Costco has a yummy cheesecake assortment...

Amy

• Like 2

Christmas Eve -- we do an approximation of Italian Seven Fishes. This makes more sense with a big Italian family, so we have salmon as a main course and (about) six appetizers. Kids favorite is bacon wrapped scallops marinated in maple-soy.

Christmas brunch -- cheeses, pate, smoked salmon, fruit, Christmas cookies, sweets like marzipan, etc.

Christmas dinner (in the evening) -- my kids would be horrified if we did not have roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Buche de Noel for dessert is another must have. Kids are reminding me now how critical it is, lol.

Boxing Day, just because we don't want the holiday to be over -- nice meal of some sort. Plum pudding in flames.

Perhaps I will also make mince pies or a fruitcake of some sort?

New Years Eve -- fondue and cocoa bar. Last year, I added rice and peas with collard pesto, will do something similar.

Epiphany -- I make an almond Pithivers. Puff pastry from Trader Joe's. I will never understand why this is available only in early fall for about a nonosecond and runs out before a Thanksgiving. I remembered to stock up, but grrr!

Christmas Eve will be swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, and salad. We usually make it for the work crew on Christmas Eve.  Maybe it will be the Friday send off meal.

Dh is going to want the prime rib we have in the freezer for Christmas.  Haven't thought beyond that.  It will just be our immediate family on Christmas Day this year, so just a handful of us.